• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

PK Gaming

Man Garchomp is awesome. I'm running a double dragon core (CB Haxorus + Scarf Garchomp; Hax weakens steel types, Chomp sweeps lategame with Outrage).

My garchomp "counter"

Empoleon (M) @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Ordinarily I'd run a specially defensive set, but I need the physical EVs to take on heavy EQs from not only Garchomp but also Superpower from Tornadus-T and random EQs from other threats in general. The name is facetitious, it doesn't really "counter" Garchomp, but its one of the best checks on an offensive team (I don't like running Ferrothorn anymore). It has good enough naturally SpD to take on most resisted special attacks anyway. It also "GGs" Dugtrio, which is nice. I'm a lot weaker to genesect with a physical spread though, hrm..

It's a crazy set, but I swear it works on offensive rain teams. Empoleon thrives in a metagame where chomp is legal.

MikeMyers

I'm still playing Japanese Yellow and I was absolutely shocked that Ivysaur doesn't learn Sleep Powder for quite a long time. These new games have really changed things around, holy shit.
Growth/Mega Drain/Body Slam/Leech Seed is what I used. Set up Growth on Lorelei's Dewgong, then Mega Drain sweep.

It's also not Bulbasaur's fault his final evolution is so hideous.

Vjkor.gif

I think the reason I don't really like Gen I starters is that they're a bit too similar in the entire line, compared to Gen II and beyond. Yes, even Typhy is better than Charizard to me.

GimMick

I'm dumbfounded that I disagree with everything you say regarding pokemon. Not only in this post, but every post I see from you.

Shame on you for having a different opinion. It is clearly the incorrect one.
You and me. And I even love Empoleon actually <__<

Kokonoe

Banned
My list of fire starters would start off with Gen 1-2-3 in order, but I think I actually like Emboar more than Infernape. Hard to say.

Charizard > Typhlosion > Blaziken

Although these three I mentioned I am much more fond of than Infernape and Emboar.

Kokonoe

Banned
Well I suppose it's safe to say the majority of people who like their favorite Pokemon like their design as appose to their move-pool.

Well I suppose it's safe to say the majority of people who like their favorite Pokemon like their design as appose to their move-pool.

My favourite's Dwebble. I think it's fairly obvious that I value design more than move-pool and stats.

Not that Dwebble's a terrible Pokemon or anything.

OMG Aero

Is that why Ash doesn't evolve his Pokemon?
Ash doesn't evolve his Pokemon because it is a cartoon where they have actual characters. Some of them evolve and change to progress their story but not all of them because not all them need to.
See Charmander and Squirtle. Charmander evolved to start an arc about Charizard's disobedience, Squirtle didn't evolve because it didn't need a personality change and not every Pokemon needs its own story arc. Just like with Oshawott.

MikeMyers

Ash doesn't evolve his Pokemon because it is a cartoon where they have actual characters. Some of them evolve and change to progress their story but not all of them because not all them need to.
See Charmander and Squirtle. Charmander evolved to start an arc about Charizard's disobedience, Squirtle didn't evolve because it didn't need a personality change and not every Pokemon needs its own story arc. Just like with Oshawott.

And here I thought Ash's Pokemon didn't evolve so they could retain their cuteness factor and appeal to younger crowds more.

Firestorm

And to follow up on this, Ray just put up what he used to take 1st place this year for a third time in a row and basically cement himself as the best goddamn player in the world:

http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/third-times-the-charm-masters-world-champion-team-analysis/

(If you're wondering about the references to his 2011 team, it's because he surprised the world with Gothitelle which he made excellent use of as well as really the first major appearance of Bold Thundurus).
And now Senior World Champion: http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/heated-up-and-ready-to-go-seniors-world-champion-report/

How do I get Keledos? Do I just show up at Gamestop and they give it to me?

Last time I went there was for the Shiny Raikou/etc promotion, and all I did was show up and download them with no hassle. You may or may not have to ask one of the employees there if the download station is working.

Frost_Ace

Man Garchomp is awesome. I'm running a double dragon core (CB Haxorus + Scarf Garchomp; Hax weakens steel types, Chomp sweeps lategame with Outrage).

My garchomp "counter"

Empoleon (M) @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Ordinarily I'd run a specially defensive set, but I need the physical EVs to take on heavy EQs from not only Garchomp but also Superpower from Tornadus-T and random EQs from other threats in general. The name is facetitious, it doesn't really "counter" Garchomp, but its one of the best checks on an offensive team (I don't like running Ferrothorn anymore). It has good enough naturally SpD to take on most resisted special attacks anyway. It also "GGs" Dugtrio, which is nice. I'm a lot weaker to genesect with a physical spread though, hrm..

It's a crazy set, but I swear it works on offensive rain teams. Empoleon thrives in a metagame where chomp is legal.
Isn't yache chomp pretty common? It would destroy this set :X

PK Gaming

I haven't seen many. Though you're right, Yache could be problematic. Up until now i'd never run Yache, but with the existence of Genesect......

wooo fucking found my heartgold under my bed after losing it 2 years ago. Got around to catching mewtwo.

I occasionally play pokemon... but has catching legendaries gotten any better than my 'archaic' method of Paralyze get dudes hp to red and then throw ultra balls or dusk balls for an hr or so while watching tv?

wooo fucking found my heartgold under my bed after losing it 2 years ago. Got around to catching mewtwo.

I occasionally play pokemon... but has catching legendaries gotten any better than my 'archaic' method of Paralyze get dudes hp to red and then throw ultra balls or dusk balls for an hr or so while watching tv?

That is still pretty much the way to do it.

Sleep and Freeze give a slightly better catch rate than Paralysis though. Dusk Balls increase the catch rate 3.5x in a cave or at night, but Timer Balls increase the catch rate 4x after 30 turns (in Gens III and IV). Ultra Balls are only a 2x catch rate increase.

That is still pretty much the way to do it.

Sleep and Freeze give a slightly better catch rate than Paralysis though. Dusk Balls increase the catch rate 3.5x in a cave or at night, but Timer Balls increase the catch rate 4x after 30 turns (in Gens III and IV). Ultra Balls are only a 2x catch rate increase.

i see... never really used timer balls before. Interesting.

Is there even an easy way to freeze folks? Only time i've ever froze a legendary was back in Gold in which my togefly's metrenome did ice move that froze lugia. crazy!

i see... never really used timer balls before. Interesting.

Is there even an easy way to freeze folks? Only time i've ever froze a legendary was back in Gold in which my togefly's metrenome did ice move that froze lugia. crazy!

Freeze is still a random, low-chance effect from Ice attacks, so it usually isn't reliable enough to count on.

Sleep is the best way to go. But Paralysis is a close second, and you don't have to keep re-applying it every few turns.

MikeMyers

Ice Pokemon have such awesome design, why must they be trolled?

Gamefreak should make Ice resist Dragon, and give Hail a defense boost. Now we are talking

PK Gaming

lol

Facts:
Typhlosion & Charizard have the exact same base stats
Charizard has a better movepool than Typhlosion
Charizard has a better ability than Typhlosion
Charizard is X4 weak to SR vs Typhlosion X2 weak
Typhlosion can run a mediocre scarf eruption set, Charizard can run a sunny day set that destroy water types

They're both meh (I personally think that Charizard is ridiculously underrated) but I think that Charizard is better competitively. Aesthetically though, Typhlosion wins no contest.

Neki

someone tomorrow (probably zeroth :D) should help me get a focus punch breloom. I'm tired of OHKO hax in battle subway. I have no idea how he ever does rng reliably, if I could, I'd totally do it to spam my gf with shiny pokemon, but alas, I cannot.

Top Bottom