• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Appealing character design.

I don't see it. She never seemed like anything special to me. If they really wanted to go with a recurring character in the Johto region they could have added Marina/Kris. Just look at her.

voQX4.png

Her bangs are in the shape of the first letter of her name. How cute/appealing is that?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The anime also severely cut down on references to Japan when the franchise became a worldwide phenomenon and they had to write stories to appeal to everyone.
Sure there was still riceballs, but things like culture, holidays, and other food were toned down.

But yeah, Season 1 was weiiiird. All the instant evolutions, Ash not officially winning most of his badges, Ash releasing Pokemon.

The anime also severely cut down on references to Japan when the franchise became a worldwide phenomenon and they had to write stories to appeal to everyone.
Sure there was still riceballs, but things like culture, holidays, and other food were toned down.

But yeah, Season 1 was weiiiird. All the instant evolutions, Ash not officially winning most of his badges, Ash releasing Pokemon.

Don't you mean jelly donuts? XD

BatDan

aBIbE.png

YOU LIED TO ME BROCK! I THOUGHT THEY WERE LIKE MYSTICAL JAPAN DONUTS!
(or Doughnuts in my terms)

I like to think this scene is 4Kids really trying to convince kids that those weren't some unknown non-American food.
"THEY'RE JELLY DOUGHNUTS DAMN IT! Even if we have to say it three times, you will believe they're American food!"

BatDan

How hard is it to just let the kids learn what a rice ball is? :/

Don't forget, 4Kids was run by old, xenophobic white men that openly state they don't want kids to learn about Japan or other countries.

At least they've dissolved now. I get the feeling One Piece was a factor in that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Don't forget, 4Kids was run by old, xenophobic white men that openly state they don't want kids to learn about Japan or other countries.

At least they've dissolved now. I get the feeling One Piece was a factor in that.

YGO was the biggest factor.

Boogiepop

So, here's a question: which Pokemon do you guys feel least looks like its typing? For me, this guy:
cobalion.jpg

looks nothing like either steel or fighting types. I mean, sure it's got the whole fighting thing because of the Musketeer line, but honestly none of them really LOOK like fighting types. Unlike the other ones, though, I can't even see where the secondary typing is coming from here. Are blue and yellow now steel colors? Bah, he's probably my least favorite Pokemon for that reason alone.

His head even kinda looks like a butt.

The JPN name is Boober so I now call them boobs, Magmar is NSFW.

I think we can all agree that Gen 4 was the worst for fire types, that elite 4 fire team pretty much sums things up.

Are blue and yellow now steel colors? Bah, he's probably my least favorite Pokemon for that reason alone.
I figured they were going for some sort of Cobalt Blue thing to go with Cobalion's Steel coat which might possibly be based off the Cobalt Metal, a whole lotta Cobalt for this guy.
I'm more bothered by his stache personally, that and the blue tone isn't actually Cobalt Blue so yeah.

As for the original question I need to look into some more Mon to decide on my answer, I will say Lucario's steel typing seems pretty lame, like some small spikes on his hand and chest?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nah man, One Piece was definitely the first step, and I'd say losing Pokémon was the biggest factor.

Erm, TV Tokyo/Nihon Ad System's lawsuit against 4kids over Yu-Gi-Oh in 2011 is what was directly responsible for them going into bankruptcy. How does that not make it the biggest factor? 4kids was still putting along fine for years after losing One Piece and Pokemon.

Wiseblade

Erm, TV Tokyo/Nihon Ad System's lawsuit against 4kids over Yu-Gi-Oh in 2011 is what was directly responsible for them going into bankruptcy. How does that not make it the biggest factor? 4kids was still putting along fine for years after losing One Piece and Pokemon.

The company had been operating at a loss from at least 2007 onwards.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The company had been operating at a loss from at least 2007 onwards.

It was still in operation, which is more than can be said after they got sued over YOG and sold the rights to Konami.

Us Canadians do it too. Between that and adding "u"s to words, I think that Canadians/Europeans have a penchant for the longform.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Your Canadians/Brits must not be very witty.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I was born in UK but live in US. Where do I fall in the division of US and UK PokeGAF?

Depends, do you know what "crisps" are?

But it's not like 4Kids was particularly heathy before the lawsuit. They were already circling the bowl, Konami just flushed.

So you're agreeing YGO was the biggest factor in 4kids going out of business.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No, I'm saying that YGO sped up something that was very much happening already.

4kids would still be around today if YGO didn't blow up in their faces, while they were still operating after One Piece and Pokemon.

Takao can settle this for us.

Wiseblade

4kids would still be around today if YGO didn't blow up in their faces, while they were still operating after One Piece and Pokemon.

Takao can settle this for us.

Today? Sure. This time next year? Probably. Although I would have bet money on the company not surviving to see 2015.

Top Bottom