• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

o0PoP.png

MikeMyers

If everyone used Chikorita. Whitney would be known as an easy gym leader, and Bugsy would be known as one of the toughest.

By the way, what site do you use to upload pictures?

I think all of the games have some redeeming qualities in each category. I wouldn't want to say one is the best or another is the worst when I think they are all perfectly capable of standing on their own.

Takao

Banned
4kids would still be around today if YGO didn't blow up in their faces, while they were still operating after One Piece and Pokemon.

Takao can settle this for us.

You rang?

4Kids is still in operation. They filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which means they had debtors at their door, and didn't think they could pay them. However, it also meant they felt the business should continue. Business has indeed continued, though whether or not they see much life into 2013 is in question. They sold off a bunch of stuff to Konami, and Saban Brands but still kept a few series like Dinosaur King, Tai Chi Chasers, and a few other minuscule stuff. A few months back they picked up a very original looking Italian series called Beast Keeper ... The bankruptcy filing was essentially a delay for the courts to force 4Kids and NAS/TV Tokyo to act as though no (Yu-Gi-Oh!) lawsuit was going on. NAS/TV Tokyo didn't act as though the courts told them to stop, and got in trouble for attempting to sell Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal to international distributors when the courts found out.

As for what put 4Kids into this position, it's all Chaotic. While One Piece failed to become Dragon Ball, the loss of Pokemon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as well as Yu-Gi-Oh! aren't the culprits of the financial woes. After Pokemon was yanked from them 4Kids lost interest in licensing other company's properties. They didn't care to share the money with the fear of getting the licensed yanked so their licensor can set up a US division and replace 4Kids. So they made Chaotic. All internally. They hired staff to make the card game, they hired staff to write the show, they hired people to set up the brand's extensive online presence. They were the only ones paying for the production of the show. There's a problem with this, Chaotic wasn't the hit they hoped for despite the millions that went into it. The card game did indeed do very well for a short period of time, but it started to tank. Which is why the animated series went through a few changes in art style in an attempt to drum up interest. After losing millions and millions due to now increased operating costs, and the flop of the card game they eventually canned everything. It's to the point where 4Kids actually sold the franchise's broadcast rights (if not more) to Saban Brands during the liquidation sale. They could've coasted off the Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon money for a long time, but they put so much of it into a property that didn't give it back.

I'd make some if anyone wanted! Just tell me who to put on it. It's really easy to just grab the sprites and arrange them in GIMP.

Really? That'd be brilliant!

If you could please make it Scrafty, Hydreigon, Krookodile, Bisharp, Honchkrow and Cacturne with text reading "Are you afraid of the dark?" or something similar, I would be forever in your debt.

Forever.

0kWk0.png

RSE ranking is based on samples, I never went through one of them fully

DP are really forgettable and BW probably is too but I played it recently so I remember more of it. In contrast I still have my knowledge and fondness for the first 2 all these years later and they hold up on repeat plays.

BW is plenty okay, but not the amazing revolution that does new things like it gets hyped up to be.

Boogiepop

...Fuuuuuuuu! You can only pick up Genesect in B2/W2? Damn! I was willing to not pick up the game until the holidays, what with WiiU coming out and straining the budget and whatnot. I really don't want to have to pick up a game solely so I can get a pokemon. Bleh.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You rang?

4Kids is still in operation. They filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which means they had debtors at their door, and didn't think they could pay them. However, it also meant they felt the business should continue. Business has indeed continued, though whether or not they see much life into 2013 is in question. They sold off a bunch of stuff to Konami, and Saban Brands but still kept a few series like Dinosaur King, Tai Chi Chasers, and a few other minuscule stuff. A few months back they picked up a very original looking Italian series called Beast Keeper ... The bankruptcy filing was essentially a delay for the courts to force 4Kids and NAS/TV Tokyo to act as though no (Yu-Gi-Oh!) lawsuit was going on. NAS/TV Tokyo didn't act as though the courts told them to stop, and got in trouble for attempting to sell Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal to international distributors when the courts found out.

As for what put 4Kids into this position, it's all Chaotic. While One Piece failed to become Dragon Ball, the loss of Pokemon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as well as Yu-Gi-Oh! aren't the culprits of the financial woes. After Pokemon was yanked from them 4Kids lost interest in licensing other company's properties. They didn't care to share the money with the fear of getting the licensed yanked so their licensor can set up a US division and replace 4Kids. So they made Chaotic. All internally. They hired staff to make the card game, they hired staff to write the show, they hired people to set up the brand's extensive online presence. They were the only ones paying for the production of the show. There's a problem with this, Chaotic wasn't the hit they hoped for despite the millions that went into it. The card game did indeed do very well for a short period of time, but it started to tank. Which is why the animated series went through a few changes in art style in an attempt to drum up interest. After losing millions and millions due to now increased operating costs, and the flop of the card game they eventually canned everything. It's to the point where 4Kids actually sold the franchise's broadcast rights (if not more) to Saban Brands during the liquidation sale. They could've coasted off the Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon money for a long time, but they put so much of it into a property that didn't give it back.

But YGO struck the killing blow, right?
Back me up here yo!

Really? That'd be brilliant!

If you could please make it Scrafty, Hydreigon, Krookodile, Bisharp, Honchkrow and Cacturne with text reading "Are you afraid of the dark?" or something similar, I would be forever in your debt.

Forever.

Sort of like this? I can change it if something doesn't look quite right.

2BSy1.png

Top Bottom