• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Gravijah

Andrex said:
That never occurred to me...

an entire new world would be a nice excuse to re-balance the types, but then how would you transfer pokemon across planets?

and how would ash get there?

Boney said:
this is worse than zelda timelines

really, the pokemon on other planets things is a no brainer, but i don't actually think game freak will go down that path.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Maybe Unova is on a new planet and that's why the route numbers started over :O

And Cynthia and Caitlin are space traveling buddies.

Gravijah

is there a team builder that allows me to plug in pokemon & moves to see what types i'm covering and what i have weaknesses to?

Emitan

Gravijah said:
is there a team builder that allows me to plug in pokemon & moves to see what types i'm covering and what i have weaknesses to?
Shoddy Battle might. It's been a while since I've used it.

upandaway

Gravijah said:
which means arceus created entire worlds that we don't even know about yet. ;)
Seriously. I'm always blown away by how many settings can be carved out of Pokemon.

Forget every existing genre (which it can do), new genres can be born out of that kind of thinking.

Kaper

I know the OP says to post comments about HGSS and DPP in their respective threads, but I'm years behind and I don't want to necro those threads. I need to tell others how awesome these games are, what do I do?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait, Roost isn't a TM in Gen 5? Wtf.

WTF.

Kaper said:
I know the OP says to post comments about HGSS and DPP in their respective threads, but I'm years behind and I don't want to necro those threads. I need to tell others how awesome these games are, what do I do?

Possibly make a LttP thread? :p Or post here, it's fine.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Who cares about that, this is a key flying move I'm talking about.

Damn it. Looks like I'll be RNGing SS tomorrow instead of White like I planned.

Kaper

Andrex said:
Possibly make a LttP thread? :p Or post here, it's fine.

I'm so glad I decided to look at the pokemon threads a month ago, because holy shit, Pokemon. GSC were amazing games as a kid, and playing HGSS again now that I'm older it's like a completely different game. I'm finally caring about movesets and how they mesh with my other pokemon and their skills, I've been enlightened about IVs and EVs, and I've got the internet to use as the most in-depth guide for literally anything I could ever want to know about Pokemon. I enjoy reading the banter in these threads, but it's just not in my nature to speak up unless I really need to, and expressing my love for SS is one of those times. I've already put 52 hours into my copy of SS and I've only got 4 badges, lol. I've never been this OCD about a video game. The pokewalker owns pretty hard , too. Falkner never stood a chance against me with my Doduo, Kangaskhan, and Wobbuffet. Playing Pokemon as a kid I always tried to keep my Pokemon obtained / Pokemon seen ratio as high as possible, and I've taken it to the next level in SS. I've only seen 104 pokemon and have caught 74 of them, but there are at least 15 more I'm working on catching. I've also given myself the retarded goal to level every one of those 74 (most likely more) pokemon to level 17 for some reason, but I can't stop myself and just move to Olivine.

The Pokeathlon has finally allowed me to see my dream come true, an all Eeveelution team. I just need to grind out a bit more athlete points and I'll have a metal coat for evolving my Onix and Scyther too. Would anyone be willing to take a couple Eevees of mine to the Ice/Moss Rocks in DPP? I can offer anything I can obtain in my current playthrough. I can also offer tons of love, if required, as well.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:

KuGsj.gif
People stealing my username online. Usually it's some guy in Mexico. Since I'm not 14 that obviously isn't me.

As for you, how did you find the Grav? It's all starting to come together...

Gravijah

Andrex said:
KuGsj.gif
People stealing my username online. Usually it's some guy in Mexico. Since I'm not 14 that obviously isn't me.

As for you, how did you find the Grav? It's all starting to come together...

i have my sources.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade hating on childhood nostalgia, this is a new low.

Chet Rippo said:
Unless you really like new evolutions or legendarys, I'd say Gen 4 has the worst.

Blasphemy! Gen 4 has the most great designs of any gen.

Wiseblade

Chet Rippo said:
Unless you really like new evolutions or legendarys, I'd say Gen 4 has the worst.
Out of the 107 Pokémon introduced in Generation IV, 29 were expansions to existing families.

Which is pretty ridiculous. Did Mantyke really need to exist? Did Budew? Happiny? Was the world just itching for Rhyperior and Magmortar? Was there a lickylicky shaped hole in the world of Pokémon that needed to be filled?

The answer to all of those questions, is no.

Gravijah

Chet Rippo said:

gen iv has the best set of legendaries, great starters, i like most of the new evos, it brought me SHINX... at worst, i would tie it with gen ii.

Wiseblade said:
Out of the 107 Pokémon introduced in Generation IV, 29 were expansions to existing families.

Which is pretty ridiculous. Did Mantyke really need to exist? Did Budew? Happiny? Was the world just itching for Rhyperior and Magmortar? Was there a lickylicky shaped hole in the world of Pokémon that needed to be filled?

The answer to all of those questions, is no.

babies shouldn't exist, barring say pichu. i like rhyperior and magmortar. magmortar had to happen though since they gave electabuzz an evo...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't know how you could spin it that introducing new, more powerful evolutions of old fan favorites and making their lines actually competitively viable is a bad thing. Unless you have some sort of weird anti-Gen 4 agenda.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
I don't know how you could spin it that introducing new, more powerful evolutions of old fan favorites and making their lines actually competitively viable is a bad thing. Unless you have some sort of weird anti-Gen 4 agenda.
How did Mime Jr make Mr. Mime viable? How did Chingling make Chimecho viable? How did Bonsly make Sudowoodo more Viable? What about Munchlax? At least Pichu learns Nasty Plot, these ones contribute nothing of value.

I don't hate all cross generational evolutions, I just think a lot of them are terrible. Especially babies. But I guess GF wanted that plush money...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I specifically said: "new, more powerful evolutions," not pre-evolutions you dope.

Babies are useless but fun. Mime Jr. specifically is a great little Pokemon.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
I specifically said: "new, more powerful evolutions," not pre-evolutions you dope.

Babies are useless but fun. Mime Jr. specifically is a great little Pokemon.
that doesn't work for Magmortar, Lickylicky and Probopass.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EvilMario said:
Magmortar's arm is a cannon, how could you not like it? Vire is 'okay', and Rhyperior is an abomination.

I like all three, but Magmortar the least. For me it's:

1. Electivire
2. Rhyperior
3. Magmortar

Electivire is a huge improvement over Electabuzz.

Kaper

Baby pokemon were never a good idea. I was hoping the gen 2 babies would be a one time thing, be because as others have said, they don't add anything and most don't even look good. Stats-wise, yeah it's gotten better since the early generations, but I want my pokemon to look good, too. Gen 1/2/3 were pretty solid overall in terms of design, but gen 5 is really hit or miss. Icecream cone pokemon, Swoobat, Trubbish/Garbodor, Gothita and it's evolutions, and Vulaby/Mandibuzz are the worst of the bunch.

Wiseblade

Gravijah said:
we also got:

two new eevee evolutions
yanmega
mismagius
porygon-z
roserade
togekiss
honchkrow
froslass

who are all great.

I'm not a fan of Honchkrow or Yanmega. And how could you leave out Weavile?
Andrex said:
I don't get the point you're trying to make here.
As in not only are they ugly, but have little/no usefulness in battle.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:

Oh, so you'd rather use Magmar, Lickitung, and Nosepass?

Having further evolved Pokemon that are more viable ("more viable" is what I've always been saying) is only a good thing. I don't know why you're hating, you really do have an anti-Gen 4 agenda.

Gravijah said:
we also got:

two new eevee evolutions
yanmega
mismagius
porygon-z
roserade
togekiss
honchkrow
froslass

who are all great.

Definitely no @ Froslass, worst Pokemon design of all time IMO.

Kaper said:
Baby pokemon were never a good idea. I was hoping the gen 2 babies would be a one time thing, be because as others have said, they don't add anything and most don't even look good. Stats-wise, yeah it's gotten better since the early generations, but I want my pokemon to look good, too. Gen 1/2/3 were pretty solid overall in terms of design, but gen 5 is really hit or miss. Icecream cone pokemon, Swoobat, Trubbish/Garbodor, Gothita and it's evolutions, and Vulaby/Mandibuzz are the worst of the bunch.

I must be the only one who like Vanilluxe and Garbador. They're simple designs that set out to do what they accomplished.

Also you forgot Druddigon.

Gravijah

Wiseblade said:
I'm not a fan of Honchkrow or Yanmega. And how could you leave out Weavile?

oh man i can't believe i forgot about weavile. and the game isn't only about pokemon useful in the competitive scene.

Andrex said:

you're crazy, it's one of my absolute favorite. plus the typing!

WHERE YOU AT CHET TO BACK ME UP

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
Oh, so you'd rather use Magma, Lickitung, and Nosepass?

Having further evolved Pokemon that are more viable ("more viable" is what I've always been saying) is only a good thing. I don't know why you're hating, you really do have an anti-Gen 4 agenda.

I'd have rather left then as cool looking novelty Pokémon than give them ugly evolutions that aren't even that good in battle.

And Froslass is cool. Gen IV got Ghosts types right.

Andrex said:
I must be the only one who like Vanilluxe and Garbador. They're simple designs that set out to do what they accomplished.

Also you forgot Druddigon.
I like Garbodor and Vanilluxe. What's not to like about a living trash monster and a giant ice cream? Druddigon's cool too.

Top Bottom