• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Emitan

Andrex said:
Definitely no @ Froslass, worst Pokemon design of all time IMO.
moé~
h8yNc.jpg

Well, Baby Pokemon most likely came about as a direct outcome of eggs being introduced, and weren't meant to be competitive in any capacity, so sure, that's why they exist.

And anyway, every gen has the 'useless' class. Dex sets are probably thought out to balance the super good with the normal. Like that interview (I can't remember which, though), where they were talking about coming up with overall palettes for each Pokemon, and changing types and attacks where necessary for 'balance' (like Frillish/Jellicent originally being Water only).
Andrex said:
Definitely no @ Froslass, worst Pokemon design of all time IMO.

Wiseblade

Boney said:
Well, we did prove that Wiseblade has the worst opinions of all gaf, so this new scenario is not surprising.
There are people who think that Super Mario Galaxy is a bad game, so I'm safe.

And Metroid Prime > Super Metroid.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ColtraineGF said:

I'm not going to talk about stats or typing or anything, but design wise, this is definitely the worst. Arms coming out of its head. Stupid overbite. Ugly eyes. Nonsensical ice cube horns.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
I'm not going to talk about stats or typing or anything, but design wise, this is definitely the worst. Arms coming out of its head. Stupid overbite. Ugly eyes. Nonsensical ice cube horns.
There is no excuse for hating the Icy Ghost Maiden.

Gravijah

Andrex said:

who is your favorite pokemon

upandaway

Andrex said:
Forget just design wise for a minute. Let's talk about everything besides stats. Worst Pokemon you can think of in regards to design, habitat, trivia, general behavior, story and all that stuff. What do you say.

Deoxys for fuck's sake I hate that thing

Wiseblade

upandaway said:
Forget just design wise for a minute. Let's talk about everything besides stats. Worst Pokemon you can think of in regards to design, habitat, trivia, general behavior, story and all that stuff. What do you say.

What? No. It's got to be Dunsparce.

Or more like Dumbsparce, amirite?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
who is your favorite pokemon

Raichu, although Togekiss is getting close to tying it.

upandaway said:

Speed form Deoxys is pretty cool.

upandaway

Wiseblade said:
What? No. It's got to be Dunsparce.

Or more like Dumbsparce, amirite?
Actually I once had a dream about having a Dunsparce, squishing him and getting mustard that way. He was an excellent mustard container.

It came out from the tail, so it's kosher. I wonder if his shiny has Ketchup instead (being red and all)

Gravijah

deoxys is my probably my favorite legendary. and his theeeeme!

also, dunsparce is cool. just needs an evolution.

a bug/dragon evolution.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dunsparce is awesome. It seems like every move it has abuses Serene Grace.

Gravijah said:
deoxys is my probably my favorite legendary. and his theeeeme!

also, dunsparce is cool. just needs an evolution.

a bug/dragon evolution.

Bug / Dragon with Serene Grace would be delicious.

upandaway

We need some type of Pokemon who is extremely shitty, has terrible stats/typing/moves, and then he evolves into this incredible completely different type, completely different stats, completely different movepool... and he has the same exact sprite. No outer change.

It'll be incredible if Dunsparce gets such an evolution.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EvilMario said:
Bug / Dragon with Serene Grace would be delicious.

Nope, according to Wiseblade Gamefreak shouldn't make any evolutions of old Pokemon ever. They should just stay "novel" instead of actually becoming more competitively viable.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wiseblade said:
Only two hours left? Quick, lets argue about something!

Conkeldurr line > Machamp line.

Go!

Competitively, Conkeldurr. Relying on Dynamic Punch's confusion doesn't make up for the power loss (is a better Guts user, and has Sheer Force) and less physical defense (and Mach Punch / Drain Punch).

However, Machamp does have much better Special Defense, slightly better speed so he can actually beat out some walls, and 100% accurate Stone Edge.

Conkeldurr's look as grown on me, and I enjoy it now.

But the real best fighting type is now Scrafty.

Wiseblade

EvilMario said:
Competitively, Conkeldurr. Relying on Dynamic Punch's confusion doesn't make up for the power loss (is a better Guts user, and has Sheer Force) and less physical defense (and Mach Punch / Drain Punch).

However, Machamp does have much better Special Defense, slightly better speed so he can actually beat out some walls, and 100% accurate Stone Edge.

Conkeldurr's look as grown on me, and I enjoy it now.

But the real best fighting type is now Scrafty.
From Gen V? Sure. Overall, Blaziken has it beat. Breloom too. Both outclass it competitively, and have amazing designs.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't know. Breloom has always looked terribly ugly to me, but yeah, Blaziken is awesome tier.

Competitively, I wouldn't put Breloom ahead of Scrafty now. Speaking in doubles, Scrafty has Fake Out and Detect and will 'eventually' have Intimidate. Breloom is pretty frail in relative terms, and his one niche in using Spore, has been usurped by incredibly bulky Amoonguss (with Rage Powder).

As for other fighting types, I'm a big Hitmonlee fan as well, so I'm glad he receive the Hi Jump Kick + Reckless boost this generation.

upandaway said:
We need some type of Pokemon who is extremely shitty, has terrible stats/typing/moves, and then he evolves into this incredible completely different type, completely different stats, completely different movepool... and he has the same exact sprite. No outer change.

It'll be incredible if Dunsparce gets such an evolution.

We could call it Trollroll.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wait no I had it right the first time.

Tell that cheap Digimon chicken knockoff that Gyarados would easily outspeed it and deliver a decimating Waterfall.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
Wait no I had it right the first time.

Tell that cheap Digimon chicken knockoff that Gyarados would easily outspeed it and deliver a decimating Waterfall.
Tell that "Dragon" that he forgot about Speed Boost.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
2OefV.png

King Ghidorah is Pokemon form. King of the dragons. Maybe. I don't actually know if it's dethroned Garchomp.

Gravijah

bw added way too many super late evolutions. they should really change them in grey or gen vi. i mean i guess it makes sense, since postgame you haven't truly fought the champion yet, so you're working on that... i dunno.

Top Bottom