• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

BW has certainly the only RPG with a story substantial enough to support a sequel.

The question is how much it's a sequel. Simply moving on the Plasma plot? New main characters? New Gym Leaders?

It's just going to be Black and White with a Battle Frontier, isn't it. :(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
G8YF9.png

It's dub anime review time!

Pokemon Black & White
s14, ep42: "Club Battle Finale: A Hero's Outcome!"
A truly remarkable episode! Ash vs. Iris was a great battle, the animation for battles is finally within throwing distance of DP's. Besides that, the musical choices for this episode (and BW in general) have been amazing and totally on-point. Some examples:

• Gym Leader's Last Stand when Axew learns Outrage
  • Rival Battle kicking in when Cilan accepts Burgundy's challenge
  • Best Wishes Opening Theme when Ash and Iris are facing off
  • Victory! for the final scene

All orchestrated, 'nache. I did get a kick out of them using the Best Wishes orchestration, it's like if you're going to do that, then just dub the actual theme song -- it's much better than what you've been coming up with lately. They changed out a Japanese theme orchestration in DP with an orchestrated version of We Will Carry On in DP, so I know they deliberately left this in.

Anyways, the music is awesome. It's actually astonishing how much improved the music here is over the other sagas, in fact it comes close to the original Kanto arc in terms of the emotion it manages to convey. Great all around.

OwnOo.png

rfkZC.png

Bianca is growing on me. Her parts are amusing.

0yiBN.png

eKJHB.png

This chick annoys the hell out of me. Her voice, the way she clumsily mishmashes French and English without even trying to do an accent, her personality and attitude, even her character design... are all extremely grating.

5wCqp.png

Who does Cilan think he is, James? Well, he is getting to be that awesome...

Speaking of, was nice to have a Team Rocket cameo this ep, even if it's just more of the same "we are cool and mysterious now." We get it guys!

aOlRx.png

Lol, Iris' "Ash you are a dumb ass" face.

5szVA.png

Pikachu losing actually made some sense, even taking into account how powerful he should be at this point. Ash was a dumbass for sending him in against a ground type.

QO4QP.png

All in all, a very nice episode that completely nails the music and also gets the battle animation right for the most part. Unfortunately, I think next week we'll be back to the BW status quo as far as animation quality goes. Oh well, was great while it lasted.

4/5

I'd actually argue that Black and White's animation has improved a great deal... in everything except the battles. The character animations are excellent, particularly within the band of rivals they've got going on.

Georgia is the best rival; gotta love that dry, sarcastic tone.

Wiseblade

G8YF9.png

It's dub anime review time!

Pokemon Black & White
s14, ep42: "Club Battle Finale: A Hero's Outcome!"

Yeah that was a pretty good episode. The show kind of slows down gets really repetitive until when Meowth joins and the next good fight doesn't happen until Ash's next Gym challenge.

I might switch over to the dub soon. Seeing Japanese Pokémon names alongside English attacks is starting to grate on me more than New Ash's voice.

Yeah, it the ENG dub captures it well too. even if Her and Iris sound like grown women.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd actually argue that Black and White's animation has improved a great deal... in everything except the battles. The character animations are excellent, particularly within the band of rivals they've got going on.

Oh, I totally agree. BW looks AMAZING. Possibly one of the best-looking animes currently being produced. Everything pops and oozes with color and fluidity. Looks absolutely gorgeous in HD.

But battle animation is something DP handled stupidly well, which is why I noticed the drop off in BW. It's getting better, though, of course. Maybe they're saving their budget for the final cup or something.

One thing I do like about BW's animations is the ramp up in emoticon-ish faces. Iris demonstrates this pretty well. Even Ash gets one every other episode.

Yeah, of the three (Trip, Georgia, Burgundy) she's the best. Easily.

Wiseblade

But battle animation is something DP handled stupidly well, which is why I noticed the drop off in BW. It's getting better, though, of course. Maybe they're saving their budget for the final cup or something.

This. Torterra vs Drapion is the Sinnoh league was spectacular, to pick just one example. And with this playing in the background...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Iris > All other current characters in the anime.

Also, we will see Grey before RSE.

Honestly I put Cilan a little higher than Iris. Iris can be annoying in some specific circumstances, but I like the character in general.

Cilan is just straight pimp.

This. Torterra vs Drapion is the Sinnoh league was spectacular, to pick just one example. And with this playing in the background...

Both of the final Ash vs. Paul battles were spectacular and easily the best in the entire series. I really should go back and rewatch them.

On a side note, according to Bulbapedia (since there are different ways to count things), next episode is #700.

700! Insane.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
POKEMON TRADING CARD GEEK OUT TIMES!

So, I don't know if anyone else cares as much about the TCG as I do around here, but I've been slowly trading and getting my way into some pretty good cards to be able to play online. Right now, this dude is beasting through some opponents.

100-cobalion.jpg

That second attack is nasty if you play it right. I've been doing a weird hybrid of keeping a Coba on the bench and stalling/milling with some Durants . .

83-durant.jpg

I just wish I had the cards online to swarm them properly. Pokeballs and Communications do not cut it.

Though the second I come up against Reshiboar or any of the proper and popular fire decks I'm wrecked in a heartbeat. It'll do till I land me some of those Kyurems . .

OMG Aero

Pikachu losing actually made some sense, even taking into account how powerful he should be at this point. Ash was a dumbass for sending him in against a ground type.

Didn't Ash send out Pikachu first? Also you could make the point that in a tournament setting both trainers choose their first Pokemon and are stuck with them so whoever sends out second doesn't get an advantage.
Still, Ash should have remembered that Iris had a ground type and used Palpitoad or something, but I guess Pikachu had to do something at some point.

Golett totally should have beaten Axew anyway, then they could have had some Zorua illusion trickery in the final.

Wiseblade

Didn't Ash send out Pikachu first? Also you could make the point that in a tournament setting both trainers choose their first Pokemon and are stuck with them so whoever sends out second doesn't get an advantage.
Still, Ash should have remembered that Iris had a ground type and used Palpitoad or something, but I guess Pikachu had to do something at some point.

Golett totally should have beaten Axew anyway, then they could have had some Zorua illusion trickery in the final.

Pikachu is always Ash's go-to Poke. It either goes first or last.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Yeah, that would have been cool. No way Axew was strong enough to beat that Golett, no way.

Kaper

Awwww yeah. Thanks to Wiseblade and his amazing patience and good will I can finally recreate this picture in-game.
LlEkG.jpg

Leafeon is the best of the best.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
If you're interested, I have 36 online codes from a booster box that I bought that I can sell to you. They have not been used because I don't play it online but I occasionally go to my local Pokemon league and play.

And thanks to this beautiful person, I am now officially beasting through wins online with the newest addition to my deck!

Kyurem_TCG_Noble_Victories.png

Izayoi

Banned
I've actually been hording the codes as well, was going to sell them on ebay, but if a fellow Pokegaffer is after them I'm more than happy to help. I've got ~100 codes, 24 from Noble Victories, and the rest from Emerging Powers. A few decks mixed in, and a couple of codes from the promotional Zekrom/Reshiram/Starter boxes/packs, as well as a few from preview packs.

I assume that Fidelis is probably all purchased out, but if anyone else is interested let me know.

Top Bottom