• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I've actually been hording the codes as well, was going to sell them on ebay, but if a fellow Pokegaffer is after them I'm more than happy to help. I've got ~100 codes, 24 from Noble Victories, and the rest from Emerging Powers. A few decks mixed in, and a couple of codes from the promotional Zekrom/Reshiram/Starter boxes/packs, as well as a few from preview packs.

I assume that Fidelis is probably all purchased out, but if anyone else is interested let me know.

For the time being maybe, but come next week I know I'll get the itch again Haha.

OMG Aero

Iris > All other current characters in the anime.
The only way I can accept this is if you aren't watching the dub.
If you are watching the dub and like Iris despite YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID then what the hell is wrong with you?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Izzy's actually a bit of a sub supremacist. Over Pokemon of all things. Yeah, it's weird.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You don't know her SOUL! GF probably told them to make her like that.

Also way to pigeonhole someone based on their career.

Boney

Banned
how do you know man

i showed him a gif

here's the gif

tumblr_lscj9gQttd1qau0t9o1_250.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I like how Grav has constructed this whole entire personality for an NPC that has like six lines of dialog in the entire game.

It's almost like he's been writing fan fiction about her...

Emitan

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

"I was just thinking about that. When it comes to swimsuits... You're either about self-composure or you're about self-exposure!"

Wiseblade

287679-080.jpg

It's Question Time!

How many of you have completed the Pokédex in any of the games? If so, how long did it take? If not, how close have you come?

Ultratech

It's Question Time!

How many of you have completed the Pokédex in any of the games? If so, how long did it take? If not, how close have you come?

1st Gen, I managed to do it. Took FOREVER though. (Better part of a year?)
2nd Gen, I don't really remember. Think I got really close (was probably only a handful off, since it was a pain trying to get some of those pokes). Thinking about it, I might've had all of them between Silver and Crystal, but never all on the same game.

After the 2nd Gen, I never bothered trying to go for a full Pokedex ever again. Too damn many pokes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
287679-080.jpg

It's Question Time!

Only have done it so far in SoulSilver.

Counting the event Celebi I waited for, it took 11 months. Not counting it, I think it was around 5 months. Lots of time in the Safari Zone for Sinnoh and Hoenn Pokemon. Lots of time grinding the Elite Four to evolve a Pokemon, and time at the Daycare breeding (I wanted to not only complete the Pokedex, but have a complete set on me at all times. This helped massively since now in White, I have all the first 493 Pokemon in addition to what I caught in Unova.)

Also, yeah, I copied you. :p But I can pull it off better~ You don't even watch the dub (it's my understanding Cilan doesn't do the "____ time!" nearly as much in Japanese.)

I'm pretty close in completing my Unova Pokedex. 640 out of 649. Not counting the three event Pokemon, that leaves only 6 left to catch. I should really get on that.

Boogiepop

287679-080.jpg

It's Question Time!

I completed first gen, probably took me at least a year (damn Tauros!)
Got REAL close in Silver, but I (and everyone I knew) made the mistake of assuming Sudowoodo was like Snorlax (IE more than ONE of them) so I never go it.
Sapphire I again got real close, just needed I think Kabuto/ps, and Deoxys, but I didn't get them before 4th gen started.
I'll PROBABLY finish in White once I stop being lazy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I have to say, it was such an incredible feeling getting that Celebi from GameStop and completing a childhood dream. Felt so awesome. It felt like my 8 year old self would have been proud. T_T

Boogiepop

So, who here has actually found a shiny without any exploits (IE pokeradar, RNG abuse, events that are always shiny, etc)? I've played at least 1000 hours since they existed (Silver. Played a lot of Blue/Yellow,, but no visible shinies there...), but STILL have yet to see one. :(

Kaper

It's Question Time!

Finished my pokedex in Blue. It took about a year since one of my friends managed to corrupt my save file by pulling the trading cable out of my gameboy in the middle of a trade. However, thanks to that event, he traded me the 2 starters I was missing on my new game and on top of that he gave me his Mew. I borrowed my brother's copy of Red and traded myself the Red exclusive pokemon to finish up.

Silver was easy since I had the previous 151 ready to trade and, again, my brother's copy of Gold to get the Gold exclusives. Can't remember how long it took, though. This is excluding Celebi.

I'm well on my way in my current SoulSilver playthrough. 120 seen and 89 owned, and I just entered Cainwood.

So, who here has actually found a shiny without any exploits (IE pokeradar, RNG abuse, events that are always shiny, etc)? I've played at least 1000 hours since they existed (Silver. Played a lot of Blue/Yellow,, but no visible shinies there...), but STILL have yet to see one. :(

I've yet to see one :/

A tentacool in pokemon Ruby, I had no idea what a shiny was and thought that it was a glitch or something (I played Silver after Ruby so no Red Gyarados tip off for me).
Despite the fact it's likely a clone from the GTS I bask in awe of my shiny Steelix, it's pure Gold therfore making me feel that much richer and it was originally a snot coloured Onix. Why so many shiny pokemon end up with snot green and a rather putrid tone of pink for their coulour is beyond me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

zXwei.gif

Other than that, no, but I am about to RNG one. Which one? It's a secret.

Oh and Pokeradar shouldn't be considered an exploit. The game's developer went out of their way to point it out. Same with the Masuda Method.

Wiseblade

Personally, I've never completed a Pokédex. The closest I've come is actually in Black, where I've got 482(74.6%) out of the 646 currently available Pokémon.

I've found three in my collective Pokémon history. First was a shiny Aron in Ruby (I didn't realise until it evolved into an Aggron), Then there was a shiny Psyduck in Diamond and most recently a shiny Patrat in Black.

287679-080.jpg

It's Question Time!

Regional dexes:
Me and a friend practically completed RBY dex in Gold.
I completed the Emerald dex, but then started over (I felt bad about how I got the legendaries)
I completed the Unova Regional Dex (but then again, it's easier now)

National dexes:
249/251 on Gold (missing...Skarmory and Remoraid)

I have a:
Shinx (EP)
Doduo (SS Safari Zone)
Golurk (Black)

Other than that, there are events (Gyarados, Entei/Raikou/Suicune).

upandaway

Hours mean nothing. NOTHING.

I've played about 5000 hours since they were introduced. About 100 in-game hours ago, I would have told you I met no shiny yet.

I used to grind on the E4. No longer, I said, and in gen 5 I grinded in the Victory Road. Bam, shiny.

That is the only variable.

Wiseblade

I have a:
Shinx (E)

What witchcraft is this?

Hours mean nothing. NOTHING.

I've played about 5000 hours since they were introduced. About 100 in-game hours ago, I would have told you I met no shiny yet.

I used to grind on the E4. No longer, I said, and in gen 5 I grinded in the Victory Road. Bam, shiny.

That is the only variable.

Yeah, you just have to expose yourself to wild encounters a ton if you want to get a shiny. There's really nothing else to it.

I have...during a speedrun (well fun speedrun). Sorry Shiny Geodude, I didn't have the time to catch you or the moves to damage you.

It's Question Time!

Gen 1: Yes 150 about a month after having it (bought about a week before the anime showed on ITV here, I was ahead of the curve like that). Brother and I managed to pick different Fossils and Eevees without planning (oh and different starters). Friend I bought game for (he paid me, his father wouldn't let him have it) helped me with last starter and Vapoureon. Kabutops was actually my last entry.
Gen 2: Had nobody to trade with. Fizzled out ~220.
Gen 3: 198 I think. Bellossum and Raichu or something were the gaps. Never got National Dex as my "trading" was Pokemon Colosseum (eventually upgraded to Box) so can't say how far I really was.
Gen 4: Got burned out and quit the franchise at this point so don't know. Not far enough I feel.

Izayoi

Banned
The only way I can accept this is if you aren't watching the dub.
If you are watching the dub and like Iris despite YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID YOU'RE SUCH A KID then what the hell is wrong with you?
I would never watch the dub, even if someone put a gun up to my head and told me to.

It is that painful.

It's Question Time!

The first time I completed it was in Silver, and it wasn't until years later, in SoulSilver, when I completed it again. The first time around it took just over 200 hours, but if you count all of my Generation III play time as completing the dex in SoulSilver, it has taken nearly ten years and thousands of hours of gametime. I completed it again in White (at least, what's available to complete), but it only took a paltry 90 or so hours.

Gravijah

http://i.imgur.com/zXwei.gif[img]

Other than that, no, but I am about to RNG one. Which one? It's a secret.

Oh and Pokeradar shouldn't be considered an exploit. The game's developer went out of their way to point it out. Same with the Masuda Method.[/QUOTE]

i thought you hatched a shiny.

[quote="Izayoi, post: 32910512"]I would never watch the dub, even if someone put a gun up to my head and told me to.

It is that painful.[/QUOTE]

i'm so used to the dub i could never watch subbed episodes without feeling a bit weird. whatever i'm exposed to first in a show or game (subbed or dubbed) is what i always have to listen to, or it just isn't right.

Alright, let me get the locations right...

Shinx was on a route somewhere, I'd have to check.
Doduo was a catch in the Safari Zone.
Golurk (as Golett) was in the tower.

Legendaries and Gyarados were events.

I used to have a shiny Torchic (was resetting for female starter, got one, traded it to friend since I was restarting and it was male), and I defeated a wild shiny Makuhita by accident in Sapphire.
There...

Side question: I asked this earlier on chat, but what are your 3 favorite (or least hated) Poison Pokemon?
Mine:
Spr_5b_034.png

Spr_5b_094.png

Spr_1b_073.png

I completed the Pokedex twice.
4th gen- me and my friend spent like 3-4 weeks in july completing it, we transfered in all the pokemon from FR/LG/R/S/E/XD/coliseum and caught whatever we had left to, we then used seribii irc to get legendary pokemon like mew,jirachi,deoxys etc.
5th gen- completed it in like 2 weeks thanks to just being able to transfer all my pokemon I already had from completing it in 4th gen, had to get some help from Gaf also for like the regis and to get an arceus.

Top Bottom