• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Wow.

These title sequence battles in Victini and Reshiram are awesome.

The animation's amazing too. Obviously the Flame Charge/ Aqua Jet stuff, but all of it; Oshawott celebrating, Scraggy dancing (we need gifs, and stat), Iris' Hydreigon fangirling, Emolga flinching... best animation in a Pokemon movie by far.

Gravijah

Wow.

These title sequence battles in Victini and Reshiram are awesome.

The animation's amazing too. Obviously the Flame Charge/ Aqua Jet stuff, but all of it; Oshawott celebrating, Scraggy dancing (we need gifs, and stat), Iris' Hydreigon fangirling, Emolga flinching... best animation in a Pokemon movie by far.

how 'bout that commentary and zooming action!

Was it ever explained why Brock left Professor Ivy's lab? his reactions to being asked on the show itself leave me perplexed as to what barbaric things must have happened to him there.

Emitan

Was it ever explained why Brock left Professor Ivy's lab? his reactions to being asked on the show itself leave me perplexed as to what barbaric things must have happened to him there.

She was a lesbian and scorned his advances. Or... just scorned his advances.

I think it was just some unexplained 'bad incident' that left him speechless for weeks. Probably got turned down hard.

Leaving it up to the imagination is fine for now, anyway :D

She was a lesbian and scorned his advances. Or... just scorned his advances.
But everyone scorns his advances!

Never mentioned at all.
Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity really, Tracy must have been disliked so much that they didn't have time to create a proper reason to replace him.

I think it was just some unexplained 'bad incident' that left him speechless for weeks. Probably got turned down hard.

Leaving it up to the imagination is fine for now, anyway :D
My imagination has got it covered: He gets turned down so hard that fuming with rage he beats Ivy down with his geodude, he then flees the Orange Islands in fear and shame at his heinous acts and any mention of her name causes him to curl up into a ball of guilt.

Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity really, Tracy must have been disliked so much that they didn't have time to create a proper reason to replace him.

"In a recent interview with former Pokémon anime director and storyboard artist Masamitsu Hidaka, he stated his own reason why Tracey was created and why he replaced Brock. He (or, rather his translator) revealed that the true reason they replaced Brock is because, once they realized Pokémon was going to go global, there was a chance that Americans, if not anyone else outside of Japan, would view Brock as a racist stereotype because of his eyes (even though there wasn't an actual complaint yet). So they created a "tall, anglo-saxon looking person to be on the safe side". They later replaced him with Brock again once they realized that no one really cared as to what Brock looks like, and actually enjoyed his character."

KuGsj.gif

I for one am greatly offended by Brock's eyes, are they trying to say that all people from Pewter City are blind?
Really though that's some pretty hilarious reasoning, at least Tracy did have one thing going for him, a Scyther.

Firestorm

"In a recent interview with former Pokémon anime director and storyboard artist Masamitsu Hidaka, he stated his own reason why Tracey was created and why he replaced Brock. He (or, rather his translator) revealed that the true reason they replaced Brock is because, once they realized Pokémon was going to go global, there was a chance that Americans, if not anyone else outside of Japan, would view Brock as a racist stereotype because of his eyes (even though there wasn't an actual complaint yet). So they created a "tall, anglo-saxon looking person to be on the safe side". They later replaced him with Brock again once they realized that no one really cared as to what Brock looks like, and actually enjoyed his character."

KuGsj.gif

Hahahaha holy crap. Got a link?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I really love this theme. One of the best things to come out of the anime in the last few years.

The bridge is sort of jarring (Just when it seems...), but I agree. When the intro started in the movie I was like O_O.

Quick question from someone wanting to get back into pokemon games

Im aware that in the progression from R/B/Y to B/W there was gaps in which you could not trade your pokemon up to the next generation.

Which game should i start with if i want to have all 646 pokemon in the B/W generation caught legitimately?

Iv heard about event pokemon and "fateful encounter" pokemon but im not 100% sure on what these are, are the obtainable by other means since iv missed out on the events

Firestorm

Im aware that in the progression from R/B/Y to B/W there was gaps in which you could not trade your pokemon up to the next generation.

Which game should i start with if i want to have all 646 pokemon in the B/W generation caught legitimately?

Iv heard about event pokemon and "fateful encounter" pokemon but im not 100% sure on what these are, are the obtainable by other means since iv missed out on the events
You can trade for basically everything. Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver are cut off from later games.

Suairyu

Banned

After Gen I and II (Red/Blue/Yellow and Silver/Gold respectively), the data structure of the Pokémon themselves were redesigned, making migrating Pokémon from gens I and II to later gens impossible. However, both gens received remakes in the form of FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver. These remakes are much superior to the originals, too.

Start with? Honestly, Black and White. They're designed for both the new and the "returning to the series after a long hiatus" fan. First Pokémon game I played since the originals, and I loved every moment. Read my post here where I summarise my recommendations to 'old-new' players more fully. Now that I am sure I love Pokémon again, I intend to pick up SoulSilver. Not so sure I want to go back any further than that. To get every Pokémon, outside of trades you probably need every game released on the GBA onwards. I wouldn't worry about it - rare Pokémon eventually show up again in later entries, so if you start with B/W, you could work towards a complete Pokedex in future games, you dig?

Also, the games differentiate between region-specific Pokedexes and 'National' Pokedexes. To 'complete' the B/W Pokedex, you only need to get the 150-odd new Pokémon. It's a much more sane and manageable goal. Once you beat the game the National Pokedex opens up, but trying to complete it is probably more trouble than it's worth currently. Just do as much as you can and wait for future installments. You'll get there eventually over the coming years.

Do you have a flashcart (and access to a second DS)? There were usually two ways to get the events - either by download from the Nintendo WFC or by a direct download at a location, where a company employee would be given a special DS cart with the sole purpose of transmitting the data to other DSs, thus unlocking the events in player's carts. As both methods ran for a limited time, you've long-missed the events officially.

However, the carts that are used to distribute the event Pokémon to players at Gamestops, Toys 'R' Us etc. are usually dumped and made available if you know where to look. As an example, there was an event during the launch months of B/W that let you obtain an item that granted access to an island where you could catch Victini, one of the legendaries. Though that event is long over, you can find the cart used to transmit the item, boot it on another DS using a flashcart and use it just like was done officially. 100% hack-free. Anybody who kicks up a stink about you doing that is a giant dick.

Suairyu

Banned
You can get Victini through a WiFi event on right now.
Yeah but not for much longer. And you don't get the cool Liberty Island area for that, which is totally worth it and a neat story moment to give more context to Victini as a character.

Pokémon as encounters > Pokémon straight downloaded

Suairyu

Banned
So start with B/W use a flash cart for event pokemon and just hope that future games have upward trading compatibility?
They will.

And yes.

With the slight caveat that, like me, you might want to dabble with HeartGold/SoulSilver after Black/White for nostalgia purposes. It would greatly increase your available roster of Pokémon, too.

But seriously, start with Black and White - remind yourself that you love Pokémon first before going down the "Gotta Catch Them All!!!!!" route that will probably lead to burnout.

Suairyu

Banned
What are fateful encounters?
Are a large percentage of the 646 uncatchable in B/W ?

Thanks for all the help by the way
If I understand the term you are using, fateful encounters are Pokémon events that, rather than simply giving you the rare Pokémon, unlock a story encounter within the game that contextualises the Pokémon's appearance and means you have to actually fight and capture it, too. The Victini example I gave is an example of this.

Complete list of Pokémon unobtainable in just Black/White alone.
Trading will take care of almost all of the ones on that list anyway.

To further complicate/help matters, many of those Pokémon can also be obtained through Black and White on the 'dream world', which is where you sync a Pokémon to the website pokemon.com and play out some awful minigames in your browser. You can befriend Pokémon online then download them onto your cart, with the following two caveats:
1 - Only one Pokémon a day
2 - It's boring as shit

Top Bottom