• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Is the general consensus that White is the version to get out of Black/White or are they close enough not to matter?

It's for my daughter who is 9 if it makes any difference. She's played though most of the recent iterations.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is the general consensus that White is the version to get out of Black/White or are they close enough not to matter?

It's for my daughter who is 9 if it makes any difference. She's played though most of the recent iterations.

Doesn't really matter. Although it does sort of depend if she's into battling or collecting.

OMG Aero

I'd say a better way of picking would be to just get a list of exclusive Pokemon and see which ones your daughter likes best.
The Black City/White Forest stuff is incredibly minor unless your daughter has friends with the game that she will play with regularly.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why not link to the actual image? >_>

Because you miss out on an article that includes "I want to stick my long necked Giraffe in your fluffy white Bunny."

You know what, I like that green hoodie/pants combo. Should be Scrafty's shiny form if not already.

Wiseblade

Coro-Coro tease? It's probably a mainline title then. Jump Festa's this sunday too, right? Has Pokémon Smash been hinting anything recently?

Then again, it could just be Keldeo. It still hasn't been formally announced yet, right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEQlG0KIayg&feature=youtu.be

0.o

I think I recognize which episode each frame is from too...even the ones with the colorful backgrounds and no other context

KuGsj.gif

I knew that music was familiar. Gurren Lagann ftw.

If it turns out to be Grey for the 3DS, I'll be happy.

Black and White seemed to be great for the 3DS, especially with the camera-angling... But it was made for the DS instead.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm willing to bet $0.26, since I'm not a cheapskate like Izzy.

I don't know if it'll be on 3DS though, but I am hopeful it's Gray. I think they were all set to unveil Gray in spring (like they've done for the past three years), then the tsunami threw a wrench into Japan on the whole.

OMG Aero

I just can't believe they'll remake unova with a new engine and make new sprites/models. It'll be on ds.
What's to say they would remake everything? They could basically just put the existing Black and White engine on a 3DS cart and make use of some of the system's features like widescreen, streetpass for the C-Gear and have some 3D effects on the battle sprites.

Wiseblade

Emerald came out like six months after the DS had launched.

And it'd be DS/DSi like BW, and the DSi is not long dead by a long shot.

Only outside of Japan. Grey would be coming out ~18 months after the launch of the 3DS. There's no way it would be a DS game.

Izayoi

Banned
I just can't believe they'll remake unova with a new engine and make new sprites/models. It'll be on ds.
Who says they have to remake everything?

A simple increase of aspect ratio, a slightly higher resolution, some cheap 3D effects... and voila!

Edit: Beaten by like half an hour. I should refresh before I post. :(

Emerald came out like six months after the DS had launched.

And it'd be DS/DSi like BW, and the DSi is not long dead by a long shot.

6 months =/= a year and a half.

Also; judging by Media Create, DS is dead, and it's only going to be moreso by September next year.

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  3DS  |    350.321 |    205.962 |            |  3.234.299 |            |   3.234.299 |
| NDS#  |      6.630 |      4.436 |    119.011 |    628.434 |  2.432.283 |  32.779.134 |

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I can't believe they'd release a mainline console on a long-dead console. It'll be on 3DS.

Only outside of Japan. Grey would be coming out ~18 months after the launch of the 3DS. There's no way it would be a DS game.

If Gray were to be announced this month, it would likely come out in May, maybe (much) earlier. There's no precedence in the series for this kind of thing.

Eh, it's probably a spinoff anyways.

Ondore

My guess: Gray in February (JP)/April (EU/NA) and I still think they're stupid enough to require the DSi/3DS.

Knowing NOA, it'll be 4/8 in North America to put a bullet in Xenoblade's numbers.

If Gray were to be announced this month, it would likely come out in May, maybe (much) earlier. There's no precedence in the series for this kind of thing.

Eh, it's probably a spinoff anyways.
Well...Black and White were announced around the beginning of last year, and released September. That could be something.

Also, all of the recent main games have been released during September, so...possible long wait.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well...Black and White were announced around the beginning of last year, and released September. That could be something.

Also, all of the recent main games have been released during September, so...possible long wait.

They were announced as being in development in late January but that was it, we didn't know anything else until mid-April when their titles were revealed.

HG/SS were announced in March, and I believe Platinum was too.

Like I said, there's no precident for the timeframe of when a mainline Pokemon game is released if it's:

1. announced at the end of the year
2. announced as the third game in a generation that's been released on a previous gen handheld

Gray would be both of these. Would Game Freak just "up-res" it to 3DS and release it as quickly as possible? Would they wait until September when these games are normally released, and make it a "completely-3DS" game? Would they opt to just follow Black/White and do a DS/DSi release? Does Gen 5 need a third game at all? Could remakes of Ruby/Sapphire kick off the sixth gen on 3DS, instead of a new region as is the norm? Or would an entirely new pair of Gen 6 games come out on the 3DS, ahead of the R/S remakes, robbing Gen 5 of not only a set of remakes but its third game as well?

GF kind of screwed everyone's expectations up by releasing Black/White ahead of the 3DS. Who knows what they'll do? I remember when B/W were announced, everyone was all "BUT WHY WOULDN'T NINTENDO MAKE THEM MAKE IT A 3DS GAME?!?! IT WOULD BE A KILLER APP!!" Game freak does whatever the hell it wants.

Eh, well we'll know soon enough anyway, so no rush (especially since we'll get it 2013 lol)

If it turns out to be a top-tier spinoff, then alright. If it's a mainline game, bring on the close release.

Frost_Ace

So what do you think they'll add to grey?

I hope we get a full-fledged battle frontier (with wi-fi co-op) instead the half assed subway and obviously gym leader re-battles.

So what do you think they'll add to grey?

I hope we get a full-fledged battle frontier (with wi-fi co-op) instead the half assed subway and obviously gym leader re-battles.

Following Pokemon like HGSS, Battle Subway being adapted into a Battle Frontier by facilities being put at the ends of the line rather than battling on the train, more Plasma backstory with battlable sages, gym leader rematches with an option for triple battling the Striaton leaders, new forme and a new area for Kyurem, with Reshiram and Zekrom catchable after the league.
Easy.

Suairyu

Banned
The Grey thing I'm most interested in seeing is how they handle the Black City/White forest divide. They can't just have both, yet they can't do something entirely new either because then Entralink with Black and White wouldn't work.

Ondore

If you get an odd ID number, you get Black City. Even or 0 gets you White Forest.

There's precedent with this (it's how Platinum did fossils).

Suairyu

Banned
If you get an odd ID number, you get Black City. Even or 0 gets you White Forest.

There's precedent with this (it's how Platinum did fossils).
And there is no way to influence this number? Is want a black city to complement my copy of white.

Suairyu

Banned
Let's get this back on track, eh?

I mean, incredible opening credits. At the time when those lyrics started up I was all :O - I must have seen that movie at least ten times in the cinema.

Watching that opening credits fight scene again, I'd say it really works. The music makes it. I'd be interested in seeing the Japanese version, because I honestly think one of the best things the American dub team achieved was the music, the main theme especially.
Oh, I was so right. Listening to the Japanese original theme in isolation, I really enjoy it, but it did not work for the credits fight of the movie at all. Like, not even one bit. It actually felt like an awkwardly-placed fandub.

Actually, pretty much the entire soundtrack was better in the American dub, 'Brother my Brother' aside.

I mean, at least there was no endless repeating of "fighting is bad", but that was just replaced with endless repeating of "they're copies, but they're living creatures too". So, like, ugh.

Loved Meowth's Japanese voice though. Probably better than the American version, but it's not like the American dub's wise-guy voice was ill-fitting.

Conclusion: people who complain about the dub being dumbed down are off their rocker. Both language versions, it's a pretty poor kid's cartoon that only works because we can go "oooh I went there/did that/caught that in the games!", except the American music is better and the Japanese version has a higher chance of gender-bender shenanigans. We love it because we're giant man-babies who get off on Metapod vs. Metapod harden battles and squabbles over localisations are the most fucking ridiculous thing in the world.

God damn I love this movie so much.

Wichu

I don't think so, I think it's completely random. Of course, who knows what they do with White Forest and Black City in Gray.

Yes there is. It's as simple as restarting the game until you get the one you want ;)
Or RNG yourself a neat ID. Mine is 00000.

Top Bottom