• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Then what happens when you trade with yourself?

CpyfH.png

Something like that

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I trade with myself all the time. How else could I bring all my completed Gen 4 dex Pokemon with me into White?

Plasmid

Well i said fuck it and got an onyx black DS and soul silver today, i already have heart gold's story beat, along with black back at home. Excited to start back :D.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Then what happens when you trade with yourself?

Back in my Pokemon heyday, my wife would complain that I was using (at least) two DS systems, the television (for Pokemon Battle Rev, or trading over from GCN titles), possibly a Game Boy Advance and definitely the desktop (and maybe the laptop if I was in the other room).

Good going, Andrex! It's Real Pic January!

I guess I'll join in. Photo is a decade old, but it's fitting for GAF.

Marco1

I have just purchased a 3DS and looking for the best pokemon game to jpoin the craze and community.
What pokemon game would you recommend or should I wait for the inevitable 3DS vesrion?
Thanks.

I have just purchased a 3DS and looking for the best pokemon game to join the craze and community.
What pokemon game would you recommend or should I wait for the inevitable 3DS version?
Thanks.
Current versions are HeartGold/SoulSilver (remakes), and Black/White (new). I'd say go with the new ones for now, as the 3DS (main) version(s) will be released overseas in 2013 at the earliest (IMO).

Although note that if you decide to go with the new ones first, it may be a little difficult to go back to HGSS, even though that game has good features not covered by BW.

Marco1

Current versions are HeartGold/SoulSilver (remakes), and Black/White (new). I'd say go with the new ones for now, as the 3DS (main) version(s) will be released overseas in 2013 at the earliest (IMO).

Although note that if you decide to go with the new ones first, it may be a little difficult to go back to HGSS, even though that game has good features not covered by BW.

Thanks, much appreciated.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I have just purchased a 3DS and looking for the best pokemon game to jpoin the craze and community.
What pokemon game would you recommend or should I wait for the inevitable 3DS vesrion?
Thanks.

Black / White are the best, most polished games in the series. HGSS touches bases with a lot of people who played the originals, and it's decent itself, but it's not nearly as quick as Black / White in terms of battle speed.

Gravijah

bw, imo, are the best pokemon games to jump back in with. infinite tms, hms being less important, tons and tons of pokemon that are actually useable throughout the game. in fact, that's probably my favorite part... almost every evolutionary line is 100% useable throughout the entire game. so you're free to just choose whoever you wanna use.

I'm thinking about doing a play through of each gen. Diamond (when it came out) was my first Pokemon (except for Red briefly in 1996), and now I've played Black.

I'm thinking about now playing each gen in order: Leaf Green>Soul Silver>Emerald>Platinum>Grey(whenever). I'll do this by buying used copies of Green Silver and Emerald before I do anything, and raid them all for anything rare, trading them up to Black. Then erase the file and play through each. Thoughts?

Oh, and the reason for my color choices is that I have a nephew who is all into it and asking me a ton of questions, and he just used his allowance (or whatever) to buy Fire Red, Heart Gold and Ruby.

Boney

Banned
I'm thinking about doing a play through of each gen. Diamond (when it came out) was my first Pokemon (except for Red briefly in 1996), and now I've played Black.

I'm thinking about now playing each gen in order: Leaf Green>Soul Silver>Emerald>Platinum>Grey(whenever). I'll do this by buying used copies of Green Silver and Emerald before I do anything, and raid them all for anything rare, trading them up to Black. Then erase the file and play through each. Thoughts?

Oh, and the reason for my color choices is that I have a nephew who is all into it and asking me a ton of questions, and he just used his allowance (or whatever) to buy Fire Red, Heart Gold and Ruby.

play the originaaaaaaaaaals

that's where the magic came from

not crappy gba era pokemon

Gravijah

i wouldn't really recommend playing rby at this point. frlg add so much, and the only reason i'd play rby is to enjoy the gb music and sprites.

I'm not opposed to playing the old ones, I did play red/blue some when they came out in the mid 90's. But I want to keep the pokemon I catch and trade them all up to Black in the end... maybe even Catch 'Em All™.

Grokbu

So I'd like to get art books for the main line games of each gen, but I'm not sure if they exist? Should I instead look into the guide books?

If art books are only released in Japanese, or if the Japanese versions of the guides are better substitutes for art books, I could go with them. But I would prefer if they were in English.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should get?

Should I, perhaps, take this in the art thread instead?

Boney

Banned
i wouldn't really recommend playing rby at this point. frlg add so much, and the only reason i'd play rby is to enjoy the gb music and sprites.

so basically you're saying

I wouldn't recommend playing rby because they're pretty awesome

ok gotcha

I just can't bring myself to get back into pokemon even though i love the franchise. It's still way too hard to actually train a proper team of pokemon.

What are the chances that nintendo ever actually try to improve the game in this area? I mean make it so IV's and EV's are visible and so that training a team of pokemon doesn't take you a whole week. Making TM's unlimited was a nice touch but it just isn't enough for me.

I don't want to instantly get the ultimate pokemon i think that would ruin part of the charm of raising your own team. I just don't think things need to be as difficult as they currently are.

They could easily make these changes without having any impact on casual players whatsoever and that frustrates me.

Edit: Increasing the battle speed was also a very welcome change.

I just can't bring myself to get back into pokemon even though i love the franchise. It's still way too hard to actually train a proper team of pokemon.

What are the chances that nintendo ever actually try to improve the game in this area? I mean make it so IV's and EV's are visible and so that training a team of pokemon doesn't take you a whole week. Making TM's unlimited was a nice touch but it just isn't enough for me.

I don't want to instantly get the ultimate pokemon i think that would ruin part of the charm of raising your own team. I just don't think things need to be as difficult as they currently are.

They could easily make these changes without having any impact on casual players whatsoever and that frustrates me.

Edit: Increasing the battle speed was also a very welcome change.

I've found that even in competitive battles, IVs don't mean as much as EVs do. It still comes down to which player is smarter.

Frost_Ace

The only really important IV is speed and it can be passed down with the proper power item, even though I've learned to RNG I still use some old pokemon with imperfect IV.

Top Bottom