• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I recently saw the new English anime intro, it's pretty neat. It's better than seeing weird new Ash's face anyway UGH WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT :(

Judging by the latest dub episode, I really like what they're doing with Team Rocket. Rather than an ineffectual plan taking up space in every episode, they have a centrepiece two-parter roughly every twenty episodes. The payoff for the Meowth arc was really well done.

Plus... is that Pikachu character development and a hint of Giovanni taking an interest in the group? Is the Rocket plot... actually moving forward?

Sinnoh Ash was best Ash.

Yeah.

Speaking of which, just finished the first series of Diamond and Pearl on my marathon. I'll put my thoughts together later, but initial reaction; damn, Paul was a great character.

Wiseblade

Speaking of which, just finished the first series of Diamond and Pearl on my marathon. I'll put my thoughts together later, but initial reaction; damn, Paul was a great character.

Paul is without a doubt the best rival the anime has had. It's a shame to go from that to Trip, who is easily the worst.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Paul is without a doubt the best rival the anime has had. It's a shame to go from that to Trip, who is easily the worst.

Eh, give him time. It took a while for most of the fanbase to warm up to Paul, I remember at first he was pretty much considered a joke character.

Andrefpvs

I'll just leave this here as a random thought.

You know what would be cool? If someone made a list of non-filler Pokémon episodes from the very beginning. You know, basically a list of every Pokémon episode where one or more of the following happens:

- A Pokémon is caught by the main cast (or evolves).
- A Pokémon is released/traded by one of the main cast members.
- A major battle happens or a major tournament is happening.
- Important characters are introduced.
- Character development happens (lol yeah right).
- The episode is just too awesome to be missed (Pikachu's Goodbye, Bulbasaur's non-evolution, etc.)

Basically a list that would cut down on all the pointless "hah-here's-our-new-perfect-plan-oh-wait-we're-blasting-off-again" filler they had for years until Black & White. Would make watching the anime from the beginning much more interesting.

I wonder if anyone (or a group of people) has done it or is brave enough to do it.

survivor

Banned
Doesn't Serebii usually have a small section for each episode showing if a Pokemon was caught or evolved or something? Seems kinda helpful, though you would still have to click on each episode to read it.

Andrefpvs

Doesn't Serebii usually have a small section for each episode showing if a Pokemon was caught or evolved or something? Seems kinda helpful, though you would still have to click on each episode to read it.

You're right, although by doing so you're basically reading spoilers for the episode, so this is not the preferential method.

The preferential method would be having someone who's already watched the episodes make such a list.

I know it's a bit unreasonable to expect such a thing to be made, but I had to post it somewhere :p

Wiseblade

I'll just leave this here as a random thought.

You know what would be cool? If someone made a list of non-filler Pokémon episodes from the very beginning. You know, basically a list of every Pokémon episode where one or more of the following happens:

- A Pokémon is caught by the main cast (or evolves).
- A Pokémon is released/traded by one of the main cast members.
- A major battle happens or a major tournament is happening.
- Important characters are introduced.
- Character development happens (lol yeah right).
- The episode is just too awesome to be missed (Pikachu's Goodbye, Bulbasaur's non-evolution, etc.)

Basically a list that would cut down on all the pointless "hah-here's-our-new-perfect-plan-oh-wait-we're-blasting-off-again" filler they had for years until Black & White. Would make watching the anime from the beginning much more interesting.

I wonder if anyone (or a group of people) has done it or is brave enough to do it.

Challenge Accepted.

Wiseblade

Since the Kanto arc is super short (relatively speaking) I figured I may as well get it out of the way right now:

Indigo League

Episodes 1-5: Pokémon - I Choose You!, Pokémon Emergency!, Ash Catches a Pokémon, Challenge of the Samurai, Showdown in Pewter City.

Episode 7: The Water Flowers of Cerulean City.

Episodes 9-14: The School of Hard Knocks, Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village, Charmander – The Stray Pokémon, Here Comes the Squirtle Squad, Mystery at the Lighthouse, Electric Shock Showdown.

(Debateable) Episodes 15-16: Battle Aboard the St. Anne, Pokémon Shipwreck.

Episode 17: Island of the Giant Pokémon.

Episode 19: Tentacool & Tentacruel.

Episodes 21-32: Bye Bye Butterfree, Abra and the Psychic Showdown, The Tower of Terror, Haunter versus Kadabra, Primeape Goes Bananas, Pokémon Scent-sation!, Hypno's Naptime, Pokémon Fashion Flash, The Punchy Pokémon, Sparks Fly for Magnemite, Dig Those Diglett!, The Ninja Poké-Showdown.

(Debateable) Episode 37: Ditto's Mysterious Mansion.

(Too awesome to skip) Episode ???: Snow Way Out!

Episode 39: Pikachu's Goodbye

Episode 43-46: The March of the Exeggutor Squad, The Problem with Paras, The Song of Jigglypuff, Attack of the Prehistoric Pokémon.

(Too awesome to Skip) Episode 48: Holy Matrimony!

Episodes 50-52: Who Gets to Keep Togepi?, Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden, Princess vs. Princess.

Episode 55: Pokémon Paparazzi

Episode 57: The Breeding Center Secret

Episodes 58-59: Riddle Me This, Volcanic Panic

(Debateable) Episode 61: The Misty Mermaid

Episodes 63-65: The Battle of the Badge, It's Mr. Mime Time, Showdown at the Po-ké Corral.

(Debateable) Episode 71: To Master the Onixpected!

Episodes 75-81: Round One - Begin!, Fire and Ice, The Fourth Round Rumble, A Friend In Deed, Friend and Foe Alike, Pallet Party Panic.

Do you want an Orange Islands summary? I could probably get it out of the way now too, but I don't want to start if you're not going to watch it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I put together a pretty good filler-free list for Sinnoh a long long while ago, but can't be asked to find it... Was probably in the HG/SS thread.

Andrefpvs

Challenge Accepted.
Holy crap this is awesome. You're awesome!
Do you want an Orange Islands summary? I could probably get it out of the way now too, but I don't want to start if you're not going to watch it.

You now what, I do. I remember loving that two part battle against the Dragonite man. That was some good stuff. I probably wouldn't want to watch more than 7/8 Orange Islands episodes though. (Don't feel limited by this, just do your thing).

I was planning on keeping it as lean as possible anyway.
Yeah, that sounds good!

I put together a pretty good filler-free list for Sinnoh a long long while ago, but can't be asked to find it... Was probably in the HG/SS thread.
Oh, we must hunt it down then!

Busaiku

I hope Black and White doesn't end too early.
It's not going as fast as the Kanto/Johto episodes, but I think it's faster than everything else.

Definitely liking it far more than everything else though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I hope Black and White doesn't end too early.
It's not going as fast as the Kanto/Johto episodes, but I think it's faster than everything else.

Definitely liking it far more than everything else though.

Sinnoh took forever to really get going but I'd say the last half is the best stretch of the anime.

Wiseblade

That must have been a nightmare. since all the Gym battles, catches and evolutions are so spread out, and then there's Contests on top of that...
Holy crap this is awesome. You're awesome!

You now what, I do. I remember loving that two part battle against the Dragonite man. That was some good stuff. I probably wouldn't want to watch more than 7/8 Orange Islands episodes though. (Don't feel limited by this, just do your thing).

I was planning on keeping it as lean as possible anyway.

Wiseblade

Orange Islands

Episodes 83-85: Poké Ball Peril, The Lost Lapras, Fit to be Tide.

Episodes 93-94: Navel Maneuvers, Snack Attack.

(Debatable) Episode 99: The Mandarin Island Miss Match

Episode 103: Misty Meets Her Match

Episode 105: Charizard Chills

Episode 108: Pokémon Double Trouble

Episodes 110-113: The Stun Spore Detour, Hello, Pummelo!, Enter The Dragonite, Viva Las Lapras

Episodes 115-116: A Tent Situation, The Rivalry Revival

While I'm at it, I should probably state that my justification for "debatable" episodes usually goes: "Nothing really happens, but X is in it". So if the cameos of in game characters like Elite Four members and Champions don't interest you, you can safely skip them.

Andrefpvs

While I'm at it, I should probably state that my justification for "debatable" episodes usually goes: "Nothing really happens, but X is in it". So if the cameos of in game characters like Elite Four members and Champions don't interest you, you can safely skip them.

Thanks for clarifying this. I was wondering about that. Yeah, that sounds interesting enough, but I can understand why some would classify them as filler.

Thanks so much once again for doing this.

Forkball

Has there been any info on Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition lately? I can't find any good info outside of the original introduction. It's supposed to come out in Spring, right?

Starting to watch the anime from episode 1 season1, I stopped watching it around season 3 but missed alot of season 1-2 aswell.

Got it all ready to watch lets do this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TeamRocketEp47-2.gif

Man they must blow their animation budget on the Team Rocket intros. I mean, where else could it be going?

Busaiku

Sinnoh took forever to really get going but I'd say the last half is the best stretch of the anime.

I dunno, maybe it was because I was tired of Brock and didn't like Dawn, but I just didn't feel it.
I mean I didn't watch it weekly like I do with Black and White, but that's because I didn't like it as much.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
  • In Pokémon: Mewtwo Returns, Mewtwo offers himself up to Giovanni in order to save the other pokemon from being captured and brainwashed. Giovanni's machine then lifts him up and paralyzes him in what is blatantly a crucifixion position. Yes, Mewtwo is apparently Pokemon Jesus.

• Actually, more like the Jesus from The Last Temptation of Christ, as he was at first in doubt about whether or not humans and Pokemon can survive together (due to a bad experience with his creator and Giovanni) before a very touching scene caused him to change his views at the end of Pokémon: The First Movie.

• Hmmm, son of the Pokémon Adam/Eve genetic predecessor to all Pokemon Mew, gifted with amazing powers, speaks actively of the corrupt relationship between man and Pokemon, hmm. Yeah, why not?

Thanks TVTropes!

Wiseblade

Johto Journeys (Because there's no way I'm doing all of Johto at once)

Episodes 117-119: Don't Touch That 'dile, The Double Trouble Header, A Sappy Ending.

Episode 126: The Chikorita Rescue

Episode 131: Fighting Flyer with Fire

Episode 134: Charizard's Burning Ambitions

Episode 141-144: Good 'Quil Hunting, A Shadow of a Drought, Going Apricorn!, Gettin' The Bugs Out.

Episodes 146-147: Tricks of the Trade, The Fire-ing Squad!

Episode 151: The Totodile Duel

Episode 152: Fowl Play!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Seems like it popped up every other ep in the beginning (maybe a bit less), then there was the long break, and now it's in the Subway arc.

I'd guess around 10-15 times.

Johto Journeys (Because there's no way I'm doing all of Johto at once)

Episodes 117-119: Don't Touch That 'dile, The Double Trouble Header, A Sappy Ending.

Episode 126: The Chikorita Rescue

Episode 131: Fighting Flyer with Fire

Episode 134: Charizard's Burning Ambitions

Episode 141-144: Good 'Quil Hunting, A Shadow of a Drought, Going Apricorn!, Gettin' The Bugs Out.

Episodes 146-147: Tricks of the Trade, The Fire-ing Squad!

Episode 151: The Totodile Duel

Episode 152: Fowl Play!

Johto Journeys was so crappy. Ugh. Never watched more than a full ep or two of it. Your list compels me to go back though.

Wiseblade

Johto Journeys was so crappy. Ugh. Never watched more than a full ep or two of it. Your list compels me to go back though.

Even when I watched Johto I would skip everything other than Gym battles and the Pokémon League. The whole arc is the worst IMO.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The original theme song, the final two Johto ones, all of Advance and the middle two DP ones (not the rap or the SLV one) are all awesome. My favorites flit back and forth.

I'd probably have Advanced Battle and The Johto Journeys at the top of my list of anime themes, although I do have a certain fondness for We Will Be Heroes, too.

The current one has to rank down there with the worst of them.

Top Bottom