• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Holy crap at that gym battle that just aired in Japan. Best animation the series has ever seen.

Oh, and the MOTHERLOAD of spoilers in the ending.

Satchel

Banned
First time in this thread, but I need to ask a dumb question.

Is there any good reason why we don't have a true Pokemon game on a home console?

Is there any chance of Nintendo creating one for WiiU? Surely that is a game that would sell like no game has ever sold before.

I'd buy a WiiU just for a true Pokemon game.

Couple of reasons.

First, and most simple... Pokemon. Pocket Monsters.
Also, the whole original concept of Pokemon was that you could take the games with you and link up with your friends with their own individual copies of them. This is where the concept of there being two separate version with their own unique Pokemon comes from; you have to meet up with a friend with the other copy to catch them all.
Couple this to the fact that handhelds are a much bigger market in Japan than consoles, and Pokemon is the centrepiece of Nintendo's handhelds, and Game Freak have absolutely no experience in developing for modern consoles, and I wouldn't hold your breath.
A shame, because a HD RPG would be great.

Satchel

Banned
Couple of reasons.

First, and most simple... Pokemon. Pocket Monsters.
Also, the whole original concept of Pokemon was that you could take the games with you and link up with your friends with their own individual copies of them. This is where the concept of there being two separate version with their own unique Pokemon comes from; you have to meet up with a friend with the other copy to catch them all.
Couple this to the fact that handhelds are a much bigger market in Japan than consoles, and Pokemon is the centrepiece of Nintendo's handhelds, and Game Freak have absolutely no experience in developing for modern consoles, and I wouldn't hold your breath.
A shame, because a HD RPG would be great.

I undertsand your points, but having a Pokeon RPG on Wii U doesn't invalidate the existence of Pokemon on 3DS/DS/Whatever portable they have.

It's simply opening Pokemon up to another market. They could still utilise the catch em all mantra through online trading and such.

I really can't see any benefit of having pokemon on consoles.

Nintendo hates money now?

Gravijah

gamefreak are comfortable with handhelds, and when it comes to spinoffs, i'm not really sure why they haven't given pokemon to a competent rpg developer to make something on home consoles. i wouldn't see anything mainline ever being on consoles, though and i wouldn't really want that anyway.

Iv put some thought behind a console based pokemon rpg in the past.

Idea splurge time.

Open world that encompasses Kanto and Johto, Its basically a retelling of pokemon r/b/y to the end of g/s/c. Encounters are similar to the way you encounter an enemy in Skyrim for example. You then use a menu system to send out/control your pokemon.

2-4 players co-op, Multiple stadiums dotted around the maps serves as PvP hubs. A loose quest structure provides drive for the player, Enter town, investigate mystery's, battle gym leaders ect.

Customizable Characters.

Honestly pokemon is ripe for a full fledge console rpg. Pokemon Colosseum came close but the universe presented left alot to be desired as did the no wild encounters.

I doubt it will ever happen in a acceptable form anyway nintendo honestly dont seem to hold the skill needed to make a complexed skyrim esq rpg. And pokemon is very much a safe venture for them now they wont take the risk.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So uh, Dragon type cards.

Welp, it was nice having a semi-balanced Pokemon TCG while it lasted.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They've added a new type?

Have they done that since they added Steel and Dark?

Pretty sure they have not.

q1r0g.jpg

63lnQ.jpg

LeOn3.jpg

OMG Aero

I never got why they didn't just have every type in the card game anyway.
It's weird that Ghost Pokemon are Psychic types, Ice Pokemon are Water types, Ground and Rock Pokemon are Fighting types and Bug and Poison Pokemon are Grass types.

Boney

Banned
I never got why they didn't just have every type in the card game anyway.
It's weird that Ghost Pokemon are Psychic types, Ice Pokemon are Water types, Ground and Rock Pokemon are Fighting types and Bug and Poison Pokemon are Grass types.

Becayse of the energy card mechanic

Boney

Banned
I undertsand your points, but having a Pokeon RPG on Wii U doesn't invalidate the existence of Pokemon on 3DS/DS/Whatever portable they have.

It's simply opening Pokemon up to another market. They could still utilise the catch em all mantra through online trading and such.

Nintendo hates money now?

sucks that you're banned but i'll try to answer either way.

First of all, it'd be a much lower RoI as a console game rather than a handheld games. Social features are what make the games thrive, and not just trading, but even showing your pokemon to your friends. It's also a franchise that is geared towards kids, which are handheld gaming biggest market as well.

Then you have GF, who doesn't have the expertise to create a full blown console game, in 3d. Then, the tile system they have used all throughout the series makes it easier to create tight level design so personally, it's in everybody's best interest for the franchise to stay top down. I guess battles would be more flashy, but would take much longer, which makes them more suitable for an exhibition game like Stadium rather than a pokemon adventure.

I really can't see any argument for mainline pokemon on console, both business wise or development wise.

Wiseblade

So uh, Dragon type cards.

Welp, it was nice having a semi-balanced Pokemon TCG while it lasted.
It wouldn't really be Pokémon without overpowered dragons, would it?

Becayse of the energy card mechanic
Can you imagine how terrible it would be if there were 17 different kinds of basic energy?

At the same time...

Can you imagine how amazing it would be if there were 17 different kinds of basic energy? It's an idea so bad it turns around and becomes incredible again.
And then right back around to being terrible...

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I'm pretty sure they're slowly rolling out the dragon as a full type, this is just the ease in. In the next big set or so, I bet we'll see full on dragon typing by itself, energy and all.

Okay, so my copy of Leaf Green arrived today. The journey begins.

Again, I played

- a little bit of Red when in came out in the 90's
- Diamond when it came out
- Black when it came out

Can't wait to get started, this is going to be fun. I've got my old GBA SP (plus) dug out and charged up.

A quick look at Bulbapedia shows that Mew is the only G1 I can't get. What's the best way to catch a Mew eventually (doesn't have to be now, as I plan on going all the way through)?

Bummer, is there a legit way in any game? I looked at the list of places Mew appears in spinoff games, but I'm not familiar with which ones have connectivity with the mainline games and which ones aren't. The only thing I saw that I knew for sure would work is storing 999 pokemon in My Pokemon Ranch.

EDIT: Ugh, but that won't work, because by the time I get to gen 4, I plan on playing Platinum. Which isn't compatible with MPR outside of Japan.

Andrefpvs

Bummer, is there a legit way in any game? I looked at the list of places Mew appears in spinoff games, but I'm not familiar with which ones have connectivity with the mainline games and which ones aren't. The only thing I saw that I knew for sure would work is storing 999 pokemon in My Pokemon Ranch.

EDIT: Ugh, but that won't work, because by the time I get to gen 4, I plan on playing Platinum. Which isn't compatible with MPR outside of Japan.

Just play through the games normally. By the time you reach Gen V (if you haven't played them yet) there should be a new Mew event.

Top Bottom