• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I figured there would be some Pokemon in Pearl that don't show up in Platinum? Or am I wrong on that?

Only ten Pokemon are available in Pearl but not available in Platinum: Misdreavus, Mismageous, Trapinch, Vibrava, Flygon, Clamperl, Huntail, Gorebyss, Glameow, and Purugly. In any case, with the advent of the GTS, basing which version you buy on version exclusives seems like an outdated concept, especially since Platinum offers an improved, faster battle system and more content.

Kaper

Every copy of GBA-era Pokemon games that I've tried purchasing from Amazon has been fake. That's about ten games in total. I would highly recommend not buying off of Amazon. If you can, find a local seller.

Wow, that's terrible. Thanks for the heads up.

West LA Electronics: http://www.amazon.com/shops/ACZ6JQDWDLU2I

They're a "new seller" with no feedback or transaction history, so I guess I should've known better. The game is just a ROM dump that's almost perfect, but the fonts on the ESRB rating and the Nintendo seal are just a little bit off, and the game give a weird "Game Save is OK" message when you turn on the system. From what I read, though, these fakes are incompatible with Pal Park or double slot mode, so it's impossible to transfer anything.

I sent a message that said I didn't appreciate it, and I'd be leaving negative feedback if I didn't get a refund, but I'm sure I wont get a reply.

Noted. A big part of wanting to buy the gen 3 games is because of Pal Park, so I hope I can find some local copies.

I can vouch for that "most GBA Pokemon games on Amazon being fakes" sentiment. After much searching, I managed to find legit copies of FireRed and Emerald (with the battery intact, no less!), but I am NEVER doing that again. :<

Also, when I was a kid, the Channelers in Pokemon Tower always creeped me out. Now they all just sound like they're taking massive dumps.

Gravijah

I don't recognize the names... are you trying to bring Digimon crap into this thread again?

all digimon names end in mon

which makes

O67An.png

a digimon

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think you're just biding your time Grav to get to the real meat and potatoes.

Growlithe vs. Vulpix.

Styles

I have started playing Pokemon FiredRed again and I'm up to Mt. Moon. My party consists of Bulbasaur and Butterfree. Which pokemon should I get next? I'm considering a Clefairy.

I hate over leveling, so I run away from random encounters. In order for me to spread the exp out more, I need more pokemon in my team. I don't know which to recruit though!

Oh, can I evolve a Golbat to a Crobat in this game? Never tried it before so I'm clueless.

Sandshrew or ekans? Personally i prefer sandshrew over ekans but arbok is really cool so it's a tough choice.

VERSION EXCLUSIVE FUN TIME SECOND RUNNER

ludicolo line vs shiftry line

Ludicolo is the linch pin of my doubles team. My friends double battles team uses shiftry. I'm definitly in the ludicolo camp.

I think you're just biding your time Grav to get to the real meat and potatoes.

Growlithe vs. Vulpix.

Growlithe. Looks better and is a better pokemon to boot!

Sweet, guess Zubat solidifies its spot on my team.

It was always hilarious to see my Golbat try to evolve from happiness, but because I didn't have the Dex upgrade, it always stopped on its own. Eventually I just gave it an Everstone so it would stop doing that.

Don't let that stop you from getting a Zubat, though. Zubat was the MVP of my team once it learned Bite and Wing Attack.

upandaway

It was always hilarious to see my Golbat try to evolve from happiness, but because I didn't have the Dex upgrade, it always stopped on its own. Eventually I just gave it an Everstone so it would stop doing that.

Don't let that stop you from getting a Zubat, though. Zubat was the MVP of my team once it learned Bite and Wing Attack.
Zubat has his niche but he's still pretty annoying to use in a team.

I'm always consistently amazed when my Zubat evolves to Golbat. Suddenly he's the best of my team and destroys everything. Golbat's pretty crazy.

Man, the Subway eps... why can't the whole anime be like this? Srsly.

Yeah- action, character development, the works.

If what they're doing with Rocket doesn't lead to an Ash/ Giovanni confrontation, as it was hinted at in the last few minutes of the episode, I will be very disappointed.

OMG Aero

My favourite thing about the subway episodes was how pissed off Pikachu was when he found out Meowth was still with Team Rocket.

It reminded me about the old series when Pikachu actually had a personality.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's great because it's an actual payoff for when Pikachu was the only one skeptical of Meowth joining their team. Indeed, Pika's got some personality in BW.

It's great because it's an actual payoff for when Pikachu was the only one skeptical of Meowth joining their team. Indeed, Pika's got some personality in BW.

Yeah; shocking the crap out of Ash for not using him in the Nimbasa Gym, trying to take on the Driftveil Gym; Pikachu's been arrogant since the Subway arc. Wonder if it's leading somewhere.

Okay, I got another copy of Leaf Green, this one legit. Seeing the two next to each other, it's shocking how fake the fake one looks.

Anyway, there's three full boxes of Pokemon on this used file. Is there anything I should specifically look for before starting a new game? There's no Mew or starters. The fossils from g1 are plentiful in later games, right?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
VERSION EXCLUSIVE FUN TIME SECOND RUNNER

ludicolo line vs shiftry line

Ludicolo has awesome dance moves, as shown in Pokemon Colosseum and is better competitively. He's one of the best abusers of Rain Dance, and he's actually a decent check to a lot of Swift Swim abusers. Oh, and he can switch into Kyogre, use his own Drizzle outspeed him and deal massive damage with Grass Knot.

Poor Shiftry isn't even the best Dark / Grass type, and abusing his Chlorophyll ability just makes those Fire attacks hurt even more. His defenses are so terrible, you probably won't have the chance to setup. Thankfully, his Dream World ability is garbage, because all the moves you want for him come from 4th Gen Move Tutors. Also, Shiftry's evo line looks like garbage.

Ultratech

Ludicolo & Vulpix (Yeah, that's right. Poor Shiftry got real shafted.)

Zubat has his niche but he's still pretty annoying to use in a team.

I'm always consistently amazed when my Zubat evolves to Golbat. Suddenly he's the best of my team and destroys everything. Golbat's pretty crazy.

Yeah, I've had that experience in the games where I've used a Zubat on my team.

Zubat: Why can't you kill anything effectively?!
Golbat: Oh hey now, you're a LOT better. Murder everything.
Crobat: You wanted to go first? NOPE. Murder harder.

It only evolves after you get the National Pokedex though, doesn't it?
Yeah, this pissed me off on my first FireRed run once I found out about that.

Kaper

Anyway, there's three full boxes of Pokemon on this used file. Is there anything I should specifically look for before starting a new game? There's no Mew or starters. The fossils from g1 are plentiful in later games, right?

Gen 1 fossils are a dime a dozen in Gen IV games. Check this list for version exclusives that might be on that save file that you want.

I have started playing Pokemon FiredRed again and I'm up to Mt. Moon. My party consists of Bulbasaur and Butterfree. Which pokemon should I get next? I'm considering a Clefairy.

I hate over leveling, so I run away from random encounters. In order for me to spread the exp out more, I need more pokemon in my team. I don't know which to recruit though!

Oh, can I evolve a Golbat to a Crobat in this game? Never tried it before so I'm clueless.

Get a Nidoran&#9794;. It's resistant to the all too common poison, bug and grass types, and with peck, horn attack and double kick it saves a lot of room for other types in your party. The best part is once you learn horn attack you can evolve him into the kickass Nidoking and teach it earthquake. At 43 replace peck with megahorn and you've got yourself one badass killing machine. The icing on the cake is his ability, poison point. Mmm mmm good.

Top Bottom