• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ever since Platinum I've had this weird habit of wanting to pick the starter that "matches" the player and rival characters the best.

DPPt: Lucas gets Turtwig, Dawn gets Piplup, Andrex gets Chimchar
HGSS: Player gets Cyndaquil, Rival gets Totodile
BW: Player gets Oshawott, Cheren gets Smugleaf

Just get someone to trade you a Chimchar. Or just catch a Growlithe and get someone to give you a Fire Stone. That will take care of your fire Pokemon. Don't get Cyndaquil, cute he may be...<3

upandaway

I picked Typho but SS was the only game ever where I didn't use my starter on the first runthrough.

They're all not that good (even if Totodile is the strongest), and I already played through 2nd gen with starters plenty of times, so I just went for it.

The party feels a lot more varied without a starter. It's pretty fun too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I picked Typho but SS was the only game ever where I didn't use my starter on the first runthrough.

They're all not that good (even if Totodile is the strongest), and I already played through 2nd gen with starters plenty of times, so I just went for it.

The party feels a lot more varied without a starter. It's pretty fun too.

Typhlosion is probably a better choice than Feraligatr in-game. Given how few Fire types there are, and how many Water types equal or exceed Feraligatr's power (ie; Gyarados everywhere) you're better off with picking Cyndaquil.

But both have pretty shitty move pools, and you'll probably end up sticking at least two HMs on each.

Andrefpvs

Typhlosion is probably a better choice than Feraligatr in-game. Given how few Fire types there are, and how many Water types equal or exceed Feraligatr's power (ie; Gyarados everywhere) you're better off with picking Cyndaquil.

But both have pretty shitty move pools, and you'll probably end up sticking at least two HMs on each.

Johto is so easy that you can beat the entire 8 gyms with an unevolved Totodile. I actually tried this.

Haha, I think I beat most of the Johto gyms with just Craig (My Feraligator). I want to try beating Pokemon Platinum with just Infernape, Garchomp and Gengar...not sure if it's possible but I want to give it a shot.

Emitan

4TdFc.png

upandaway

Haha, I think I beat most of the Johto gyms with just Craig (My Feraligator). I want to try beating Pokemon Platinum with just Infernape, Garchomp and Gengar...not sure if it's possible but I want to give it a shot.
You should be fine with any one Pokemon as long as it's offensive. He'll be overleveled and one-shot everything.

I once beat Crystal with a Bayleef (since I hate Meganium) and I sweeped through Black in 10 hours using Hax and that fire monkey (switched to them from my starter once I could breed).

Eh, Raichu's sort of goofily appealing, but honestly, I think Pikachu's better designed in every practical sense.

And, come on, Pikachu with V Create would be great.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Johto is so easy that you can beat the entire 8 gyms with an unevolved Totodile. I actually tried this.

You can do Johto with an unevolved Zubat. But there are easier ways. Just because you beat the game with one unevolved doesn't mean squat if you're talking about the better Pokemon. Of course, it's doubtful that the person will be making a solo run at it, meaning that team considerations should also be involved.

Gyarados in game is much better than Totodile, and you receive one via the Shiny encounter without ever having to raise a Magikarp. He outclasses Totodile both in moveset and Feraligatr in stats and ability. And even if you don't want to go that route, there are countless other water types that have a place on a team. (Slowbro, Golduck, Poliwrath, Kingdra, Lapras, Azumarill can all be used to success)

Typhlosion on the other hand offers the player a way to obtain a new Fire Pokemon (otherwise having to obtain one of the Kanto fire types), with Slugma and Houndor not available until Kanto.

And if you really want to get into the 'better Pokemon' in game, speed is a gigantic matter. Cyndaquil line outspeeds Totodile line handily, and in HGSS, it has access to Fire Blast right off the bat. Feraligatr won't receive Surf until later, working off his weaker SpAtk, or Waterfall MUCH later (around the time he'll learn Aqua Tail naturally). And even pure power wise with move aside, Typhlosion has higher base SpAtk than Feraligatr doesn't attack.

So there.

Top Bottom