• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

MicH

I'm thinking about restarting my Pokémon Black. Haven't played a Pokémon game since Black & White came out and I'm craving for one. Could also restart SuperiorSilver, but I think I have quite a few legendaries on that one.

EDIT: New page!? I think that calls for my old Pikachu avatar!

my daughter showed me some pokemon cards and asked me what the symbols were. i nostalgia'd hard as fuck and im going all in now. found a black & white starter kit at a local comic shop for $12. what else do i need to refresh my memory and not scare my daughter away from the game?

my daughter showed me some pokemon cards and asked me what the symbols were. i nostalgia'd hard as fuck and im going all in now. found a black & white starter kit at a local comic shop for $12. what else do i need to refresh my memory and not scare my daughter away from the game?

The Pokemon TCG Game Boy game.

she deserves her own micro. come on, man.

no she doesnt!!! i was gonna watch the TCG online tutorials with her, but the website is so damn cluttered. what card sets or "legal" right now? i had plans to go down to storage and show her my binder with the initial 151 first prints me and my brother collected back in the day. she suddenly likes pokemon. who woulda thought...

Gravijah

no she doesnt!!! i was gonna watch the TCG online tutorials with her, but the website is so damn cluttered. what card sets or "legal" right now? i had plans to go down to storage and show her my binder with the initial 151 first prints me and my brother collected back in the day. she suddenly likes pokemon. who woulda thought...

get her the micro

remember that time she did that thing for you

it was awesome

Ultratech

Typhlosion on the other hand offers the player a way to obtain a new Fire Pokemon (otherwise having to obtain one of the Kanto fire types), with Slugma and Houndor not available until Kanto.

And if you really want to get into the 'better Pokemon' in game, speed is a gigantic matter. Cyndaquil line outspeeds Totodile line handily, and in HGSS, it has access to Fire Blast right off the bat. Feraligatr won't receive Surf until later, working off his weaker SpAtk, or Waterfall MUCH later (around the time he'll learn Aqua Tail naturally). And even pure power wise with move aside, Typhlosion has higher base SpAtk than Feraligatr doesn't attack.

So there.

Yeah, you can't really go wrong with Cyndaquil or Totadile. Though I prefer Cyndaquil.

BTW, Fun Fact: Typholsion has the exact same base stats as Charizard.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, you can't really go wrong with Cyndaquil or Totadile. Though I prefer Cyndaquil.

BTW, Fun Fact: Typholsion has the exact same base stats as Charizard.

Chikorita is really the only way you should go
if you want to make the game incredibly difficult right off the bat. Although Meganium is amazing looking.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Gen V, probably the best generation for grass Pokemon ever.

598Ferrothorn.png
166px-547Whimsicott.png

149px-497Serperior.png
Sawsbuck-Winter.png
200px-591Amoonguss.png

Andrefpvs

You can do Johto with an unevolved Zubat. But there are easier ways. Just because you beat the game with one unevolved doesn't mean squat if you're talking about the better Pokemon. Of course, it's doubtful that the person will be making a solo run at it, meaning that team considerations should also be involved.

Gyarados in game is much better than Totodile, and you receive one via the Shiny encounter without ever having to raise a Magikarp. He outclasses Totodile both in moveset and Feraligatr in stats and ability. And even if you don't want to go that route, there are countless other water types that have a place on a team. (Slowbro, Golduck, Poliwrath, Kingdra, Lapras, Azumarill can all be used to success)

Typhlosion on the other hand offers the player a way to obtain a new Fire Pokemon (otherwise having to obtain one of the Kanto fire types), with Slugma and Houndor not available until Kanto.

And if you really want to get into the 'better Pokemon' in game, speed is a gigantic matter. Cyndaquil line outspeeds Totodile line handily, and in HGSS, it has access to Fire Blast right off the bat. Feraligatr won't receive Surf until later, working off his weaker SpAtk, or Waterfall MUCH later (around the time he'll learn Aqua Tail naturally). And even pure power wise with move aside, Typhlosion has higher base SpAtk than Feraligatr doesn't attack.

So there.

I was actually agreeing with you. Are you having a go at me?

:'<

EDIT: I read my post and I guess I wasn't very clear. I said Johto was so easy you could even clear it with Totodile.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I was actually agreeing with you. Are you having a go at me?

:'<

EDIT: I read my post and I guess I wasn't very clear. I said Johto was so easy you could even clear it with Totodile.

I like to ramble on about Pokemon, so don't take offense to it. Yes, Johto is incredibly easy. ^_^

upandaway

1) Yes.

2) I still have most of the ones I found in Black stockpiled because I didn't need them, just in case I do in Grey.
I still have the Star Pieces in my White that I got every day and never sold. I think I have over 100. At some point I stopped though, every day is a bit much.

I still want to someday max out the wallet somehow. I only did it once in Red back then.

Gonna transfer all of 'em to Gray.

Ultratech

I know that some people were apparently traumatized by gen 3 so I'll forgive you for not mentioning Breloom.

Hell yeah, Breloom's awesome. My personal catch-assister throughout XD.

But Ludicolo's still pretty cool though. I like to use one in my team whenever I can.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Breloom is such a popular Pokemon (even in the metagame), but I think he's an ugly piece of shit. I mean, what the hell is this? Thing barely has arms, how does it use Focus Punch?

286Breloom.png

But really guys, we should talk about the best Grass-type starter and one of the coolest Pokemon ever.

389Torterra.png

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Do you think we'll get a Grass Dragon next gen.

I hope so, and it fits with the usual four times weakness to Ice that they love. Serperior looks like a Grass / Dragon, but a Dragon-type starter would be silly
unless all the starting types are part Dragon :eek:

Top Bottom