• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Gravijah

speaking of forms, for the most part i prefer the original pokemon. shaymin, giratina, etc. deoxys forms are really cool, though.

Smogon? Tiers? Ack! (No offense to those who enjoy competitive Pokemon)

Wait...why are all of my favorites in the overused or uber tier? Now I feel bad.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The singleplayer quest is just a ~100 hour distraction you have to get out of the way before you can play the real game.

You know when you mentioned a new save, it reminds me how much I would love for Pokemon to have multiple saves. Often times I'm hesitant to start over because it means losing some of my favorite Pokemon...=(

I haven't gotten into battling this gen but i hope to maybe with grey. I find doing in game stuff like collecting all the critters and battle sub and stuff great too though.

You know when you mentioned a new save, it reminds me how much I would love for Pokemon to have multiple saves. Often times I'm hesitant to start over because it means losing some of my favorite Pokemon...=(

That's why you get 2 DSs so you can trade out your favorite Pokemon before you restart.

But if you don't want to look like a weirdo with 2 DSs in your hand, you could just get a friend to help you out.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You guys just need to marry someone who plays Pokemon too. That way you're not trading Pokemon with yourself like a tool in your forever aloneness.

Sixfortyfive

Goddamn, you don't have to have perfect timing down to 1/30th of a second to pull this stuff off anymore?

Definitely a relief, but I had some pride in being able to pull off consistent 2-frame links in Pokemon of all games. lol

Frost_Ace

Goddamn, you don't have to have perfect timing down to 1/30th of a second to pull this stuff off anymore?

Definitely a relief, but I had some pride in being able to pull off consistent 2-frame links in Pokemon of all games. lol

Thank God! I hated 4th gen rng abuse with a passion, and I only managed to rng some stationary legend lol

Sixfortyfive

I still have 3 wondercards each on HeartGold, Platinum, and Pearl that I need to retrieve. I'm going to have to give myself a refresher course on that nonsense eventually.

IIRC, wondercards were really a pain because it was virtually impossible to abuse for natures if they weren't preset by the event itself. Do all that work, hope you got the nature you wanted, reset if it failed.

BFA

I'm too stupid to understand RNG abuse.
Oh, and I don't have a DS Lite anymore anyways.

If a dummy like me could become a proficient RNGer in gen 4, which is much harder, I'm sure you can do it! Also, it is now possible to RNG in gen 5 with a 3DS. I still haven't learned gen 5's though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Do we all agree R/S/E was the worst generation? Nearly soured me off the whole franchise.
-Worst world
-Worst Pokemon
-Worst Rival

Gen II brought us pre-evolution baby Pokemon, some pretty boring starters, and many lackluster Pokemon, so that's by far the worst Pokemon wise.
even if it did have the best Eeveelotions
. And I prefer the Regitrio, and Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza. Metagross, Hariyama, Blaziken, Breloom, Flygon, Salamence, Cacturne, Sharpedo. So much awesome. Not to mention Jirachi > Celebi.

Maybe the worst generation because of the world, but not because of the Pokemon. And even with all that said, Johto is pretty short small and not exactly stunning either. Gen III will be redeemed once the remakes come out for the 3DS and we get to see Kyogre and Groudon fight.

Mothman91

Wanted to poke my head in here and say I borrowed FireRed from a friend. I haven't played a pokemon game since the first ones came out, but I never finished it due to me playing Super Mario Bros 3 all the time on my SP. Is this a recommended version? Or should I try to get another version? Any thoughts or hints, etc etc that could help me out. Am looking forward to this Pokemon because I heard it's a "remake" of the older ones like R/B/Y.

Salvadora

Oh i agree there were some nice designs, But overall... It just didn't feel right. Felt like they were using the scraps. Those starters, Good god.

Sixfortyfive

Every new Pokemon game is better than the one that came before it, because the battle system and number of options always improves.

I'm not sure whether I dislike gen 2 or gen 5's regional Pokedex more. Need more time for B/W to sink in.

Gen II brought us pre-evolution baby Pokemon, some pretty boring starters, and many lackluster Pokemon, so that's by far the worst Pokemon wise.
even if it did have the best Eeveelotions
. And I prefer the Regitrio, and Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza. Metagross, Hariyama, Blaziken, Breloom, Flygon, Salamence, Cacturne, Sharpedo. So much awesome. Not to mention Jirachi > Celebi.

Maybe the worst generation because of the world, but not because of the Pokemon. And even with all that said, Johto is pretty short small and not exactly stunning either. Gen III will be redeemed once the remakes come out for the 3DS and we get to see Kyogre and Groudon fight.

Gen II gave us marill the argument is moot

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wanted to poke my head in here and say I borrowed FireRed from a friend. I haven't played a pokemon game since the first ones came out, but I never finished it due to me playing Super Mario Bros 3 all the time on my SP. Is this a recommended version? Or should I try to get another version? Any thoughts or hints, etc etc that could help me out. Am looking forward to this Pokemon because I heard it's a "remake" of the older ones like R/B/Y.

It is a remake of the originals, yes, but expanded quite a bit more. If you want to play 'the best' Pokemon, pick up Black and White. It has a lot of the same fundamentals, but major changes as well (battles are faster, physical / special split, many more Pokemon type combos, more focus on doubles.. and now triples). FireRed is good though. If you enjoy it even a bit, try B/W eventually.

Salvadora

Perfectly playable but i would suggest HG/SS. Just don't move on the the 5th generation or you will never want to go back.

Wichu

Those starters, Good god.
You take that back. The Hoenn starters are better than the Johto starters, and Blaziken beats Infernape and Emboar too.

I'm sure we've done this, but LIST WAR #64524547: Best starters of each type!
Grass: Venusaur, Serperior
Fire: Charizard, Blaziken
Water: Empoleon, Samurott

Top Bottom