• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The Johto starters are abysmal in terms of use, even in-game. They'd have to try really hard to outdo them in suck.

Gen IV starters are supreme.

Andrefpvs

I think the "worst Pokémon" argument comes from the fact that their Pokémon design team grew exponentially from Gen II to Gen III. Too many new design styles. It also didn't help that Ken Sugimori changed his style around that time. I can understand why people glanced sidelong at the new monsters back then.

Of course after all this time the argument doesn't really hold up anymore, but here's my two cents on the subject.

I'm pretty sure Gen 2 had the worst Pokemon.

We are in agreement, i'll save Steelix, Noctowl (boring typing aside) and Octillery from the scrap heap, a few others can join when they evolve in Gen4.
It's funny in a way, Gen4 would be the worst for me but then it went and gave a bunch of Gen2 pokemon much needed evolutions so it redeemed itself on that basis alone.

As for the starter talk
Fire: Charmeleon, Blaziken
Water: Empoleon
Grass: Sceptile (i've never actually used one though)

Wiseblade

Do we all agree R/S/E was the worst generation? Nearly soured me off the whole franchise.
-Worst world
-Worst Pokemon
-Worst Rival

Whoa there junior, are you sure this is an argument you want to start? Things could get pretty ugly...

EDIT: looks like I got here too late.

Gen III Defence Force... Assemble!

Worst region? Try BEST REGION. Hoenn effortlessly captures the sense of openness and adventure that people are always so desperate for the series to have. Not to mention having more single player content than GSC's two "regions" combined. Worst Pokémon is laughable too considering the abomination known as Dunsparse came from Gen II. RSE have no rival so I can't really comment on that one, but if they did, I bet he'd be awesome.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
People really over state how 'awesome' Sceptile looks. He has a bit of a beer belly for something that's suppose to be fast, his tail looks like it doesn't belong, and what the fuck are those things on his back. Best member of his line is Treecko, and he's not even that great.

Torterra is the most awesome Grass-type starter and it's not even close.

htiL7.png

J@hranimo

Banned
Do we all agree R/S/E was the worst generation? Nearly soured me off the whole franchise.
-Worst world
-Worst Pokemon
-Worst Rival

WHOA. 3rd Gen is awesome in many ways.

- Two opposing teams about the environment much different from Team Rocket goons
- A lot of good pokemon like Blaziken, Salamence, Swampert, Breloom, Flygon, Metagross, Dusclops, Aggron, Ludicolo, Slaking, etc...
- Double battles. I especially liked these in emerald
- HM Dive, with one of my favorite tunes from the pokemon series period
- Hoenn as a region is a much more vast, diverse, and interesting region then both Kanto and Johto combined. Unova is a close second now.
- First inclusion of the Battle Frontier
- I'm pretty sure it's the first inclusion of EVs and IVs. I think. Go ahead and bash if I'm wrong.

But really it's still an enjoyable generation of games and I still go back and play my Emerald from time to time.

So this is my first time posting in Poke-GAF so.....sup guys!

Wichu

- Two opposing teams about the environment much different from Team Rocket goons
- A lot of good pokemon like Blaziken, Salamence, Swampert, Breloom, Flygon, Metagross, Dusclops, Aggron, Ludicolo, Slaking, etc...
- Hoenn as a region is a much more vast, diverse, and interesting region then both Kanto and Johto combined. Unova is a close second now.
- I'm pretty sure it's the first inclusion of EVs and IVs. I think. Go ahead and bash if I'm wrong.

But really it's still an enjoyable generation of games and I still go back and play my Emerald from time to time.

Welcome, and high five. I agree completely.

It's their introduction in the form that we currently know them. A similar system existed in the earlier games, it was just reworked (amount of DVs/IVs doubled, a cap added to the stat exp/EVs) for R/S.

I can't really hate any of the generations because there's always a group of Pokemon that I absolutely love from each one. Like...

Generation 1-Gengar, Dratini, Blastoise, Raichu, Wigglytuff and Vileplume...oh and Diglett, Farfetch'd
Generation 2-Mareep, Totodile line, Hoothoot, Aipom, Teddiursa, Larvitar, Houndour

...I think I better stop...

I'd defend Hoehn (It's not my favorite but I do like it quite a bit) but others have done a better job for me. Oh and Monferno, Blastoise/Piplup and Turtwig are the best out of the starters.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Admit it - Abomasnow makes Ice-types twice as good just by itself.

So, most Ice types are built defensively, or at least slower Pokemon. And what types does Ice resist? Oh right, Ice.

Great attacking type, terrible defensive type. Abomasnow only means you're forced to use more Ice Pokemon which is a terrible idea, or it means your Pokemon are losing health to Hail too. And Abomasnow can only switch into one weather changer, Poli. Not to mention Abomasnow has about a thousand weaknesses and his STABs can be eaten by by most Steel Pokemon, and his average attacking stats don't do much.

He gives you 100% accurate Blizzards, but considering it does nothing for Ice's shitty defense (it should make Ice types gain 1.5x boost on defense, ala Rock in Sand Storm), and Ice is weak to just about every priority imaginable.. well, no, Ice blows.

J@hranimo

Banned
It's their introduction in the form that we currently know them. A similar system existed in the earlier games, it was just reworked (amount of DVs/IVs doubled, a cap added to the stat exp/EVs) for R/S.
Ah ok. Pokemon would've been too simplistic back in the day if they didn't have it in.

Salvadora

-I thought it was an interesting take and it was nice of them to make a little bit of a difference between the 2 versions. Just i hated moving into that style of enemy. Abuse of Pokemon is enough for me.
-Blaziken renders this invalid.
-Fair point.
-Good music, boring mechanic
-Too much water.
-Good point.
-Good point.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So, most Ice types are built defensively, or at least slower Pokemon. And what types does Ice resist? Oh right, Ice.

Great attacking type, terrible defensive type. Abomasnow only means you're forced to use more Ice Pokemon which is a terrible idea, or it means your Pokemon are losing health to Hail too. And Abomasnow can only switch into one weather changer, Poli. Not to mention Abomasnow has about a thousand weaknesses and his STABs can be eaten by by most Steel Pokemon, and his average attacking stats don't do much.

He gives you 100% accurate Blizzards, but considering it does nothing for Ice's shitty defense (it should make Ice types gain 1.5x boost on defense, ala Rock in Sand Storm), and Ice is weak to just about every priority imaginable.. well, no, Ice blows.
Oh, that's right. You play singles.

Get with the times. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh, that's right. You play singles.

Get with the times. :p

Nah, I haven't touched the singles metagame in a long time. I mostly do doubles, but just for the subway.

Hail is still the weakest weather to use, even in doubles because unlike Water it doesn't double your Swift Swimmer speed, or power. In VGC rules, you're showing your opponent your team anyway, so if you're really intent on spamming Blizzards, they will probably catch on as soon as they see Abomasnow.

And of course, it means you have to bring along poor Abomasnow who dies to priority which is so common in Doubles. I rarely read war stories about successful Hail, or Ice based teams, so please fill me in on our competitive success. I would probably want to run something like Trick Room with it. Maybe it could catch a few people off guard.

Of course, we were talking about Ice as a type and not Hail as a weather. But are you having doubles success with an Ice type outside of Hail in Doubles? Mamoswine? Weavile is probably outclassed by most Fake Out users, and things like Stallerin won't work. Cloyster doesn't have time to setup in doubles, I'd imagine, so that's out.

J@hranimo

Banned
Welcome, and high five. I agree completely.
Thanks!

-I thought it was an interesting take and it was nice of them to make a little bit of a difference between the 2 versions. Just i hated moving into that style of enemy. Abuse of Pokemon is enough for me.
-Blaziken renders this invalid.
-Fair point.
-Good music, boring mechanic
-Too much water.
-Good point.
-Good point.

I can understand when people say it's too much water. I personally don't mind it, but then again I know the region so well it doesn't matter so much. Underwater sections could've had more potential...maybe if they make 3rd gen remakes they will add some extra areas.

Salvadora

I can understand when people say it's too much water. I personally don't mind it, but then again I know the region so well it doesn't matter so much. Underwater sections could've had more potential...maybe if they make 3rd gen remakes they will add some extra areas.

I'd love it if they improved the region. With HG/SS wasn't one of the reasons they made it because of the internal clock? With R/S/E being easily playable i'm not sure there is any point.

Regions are old hat, Call me when they start to include continents.

Basically just have the player traverse all previous regions on a modified story of the original trainers. with each new region comes a pokedex upgrade and new pokemon to catch. Have ALL pokemon regions specific and all catchable with the exception of Event pokemon. Develop one version of the game.

After they are done they can start making Gen 6.

/dream

J@hranimo

Banned
I'd love it if they improved the region. With HG/SS wasn't one of the reasons they made it because of the internal clock? With R/S/E being easily playable i'm not sure there is any point.

Pretty much. I know there's a slim chance they would remake it with most of the pokemon being obtainable in the 4th and 5th gen. Single story wise I'd love if they remade it and would be there day 1.

Basically just have the player traverse all previous regions on a modified story of the original trainers. with each new region comes a pokedex upgrade and new pokemon to catch. Have ALL pokemon regions specific and all catchable with the exception of Event pokemon. Develop one version of the game.

/dream
This.

Salvadora

/dream

Sadly i don't think that will happen, But Hey they could even through Hoenn in that would be nice.

Sadly i don't think that will happen, But Hey they could even through Hoenn in that would be nice.

It wont happen because it would be too far out of nintendos comfort zone. Without getting into a anti-nintendo rant they are too involved with doing the bare minimum and making fast cash than long term investments with increasing rewards.

The entire collection of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Shinnoh and Unova plus 649 catchable pokemon and a quest line that would span the collective and running at B/W level of detail would easily push the game past 700MB worth of Assets. From a technical standpoint thats like creating 9 unique versions of B/W and no offence to game freak but i think its beyond them (at least with a realistic time scale)

It also would put a huge halt into people buying from the back catalogue of games and would hurt future titles because it would require them to be TRULY unique and not just remakes of regions. The trading scene would probably die with it aswell.

As a fan it would be a great experience but from a developer and publisher stand point its suicide your giving the fan base the ultimate experience instead of the bait and wait strategy that put pokemon where it is today.

Salvadora

It wont happen because it would be too far out of nintendos comfort zone. Without getting into a anti-nintendo rant they are too involved with doing the bare minimum and making fast cash than long term investments with increasing rewards.

The entire collection of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Shinnoh and Unova plus 649 catchable pokemon and a quest line that would span the collective and running at B/W level of detail would easily push the game past 700MB worth of Assets. From a technical standpoint thats like creating 9 unique versions of B/W and no offence to game freak but i think its beyond them (at least with a realistic time scale)

It also would put a huge halt into people buying from the back catalogue of games and would hurt future titles because it would require them to be TRULY unique and not just remakes of regions. The trading scene would probably die with it aswell.

As a fan it would be a great experience but from a developer and publisher stand point its suicide your giving the fan base the ultimate experience instead of the bait and wait strategy that put pokemon where it is today.

I think it would be difficult to integrate all of the regions, i mean you'd be maxed out pretty soon. I would prefer bigger regions though. More environments would be nice.

Does your sister in law play Pokemon?

M/21/UK looking for Female in similar age group who plays pokemon preferably likes Red/Gold/Sapphire/Fire Red/Pearl/Heart Gold/White looking for intimate experiences (must have own team rocket costume/Jynx!) long walks on the beach and marriage.

I think it would be difficult to integrate all of the regions, i mean you'd be maxed out pretty soon. I would prefer bigger regions though. More environments would be nice.

Integration i cant see being a problem, as a player the prospect of exploring a new region and catching an entire new set of pokemon utilizing your previous pokemon from the last region(s) would be very appealing. The 100 lvl cap would have to be reworked into a new system. Slower leveling perhaps would curb the problem to some degree. Have the Elite 4 high 30's for example and the player at a similar level.

The pokemon leveling system is fine but it could be retooled entirely without many major repercussions.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You noobs will need someone to help you when you start playing. Let me know what lobby you're in and I'll join (with my low level character).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You noobs will need someone to help you when you start playing. Let me know what lobby you're in and I'll join (with my low level character).

I'm proud to say I beat the demo two days ago. Promised myself I wouldn't buy it until I was sure I could actually play it, and well, I can at least beat Peco and Jaggi!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I never realized how much overlap there was between PokeGAF and MonHunGAF. Looks like me, Billy, Chet, EvilMario, and Boney, at the least.

Top Bottom