• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So, I'm filling up my boxes to capacity so that I'm not forced to catch Reshiram as part of the story. Simple enough.

Then the total capacity of the storage system spontaneously doubles.

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

J@hranimo

Banned
So I've been playing my Heartgold after months and months of neglect and EV training in White and went against Red for the first time. I beat him! That hailstorm really makes this battle much easier then in the G/S/C days. I think my team was half good, half meh.

Sixfortyfive

First time I went up against Red in HGSS I'm pretty sure I was more than 25 levels under him.

Pikachu swept the whole team, IIRC.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah mine were levels 61-62. Lanturn and Heracross put in the most work. Skarmory also put down the spikes cause Red actually switches pokemon in and out. They made the A.I. a little smarter this time around.

Sixfortyfive

Why don't you want to catch it?
Holding off on RNGing the thing until I have a need to actually use it. Not to mention I don't think I can import all of my utility Pokemon for catching until the post-game anyway.

I only play Pokemon in one of two possible ways: completely OCD or not at all. >_>

Frost_Ace

So, I'm filling up my boxes to capacity so that I'm not forced to catch Reshiram as part of the story. Simple enough.

Then the total capacity of the storage system spontaneously doubles.

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

When you battle N you can check the stats and make an approximation of the ivs so you can know if you hit the seed or not, there's no need to go through that bullshit :p

So which game is easiest obtain Shinies in? There are some Pokemon I wouldn't mind having a Shiny version of.

RNGing (From what I read on Smogon) sounds complicated. How did they figure it out?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So which game is easiest obtain Shinies in? There are some Pokemon I wouldn't mind having a Shiny version of.

Platinum, use the Poké Radar to chain together shaking bushes.

If you want one that has to be bred, then Black or White might be better, I think they made the odds of breeding a shiny better if you use the Masuda method.

RNGing (From what I read on Smogon) sounds complicated. How did they figure it out?

Probably ROM hacking.

Wichu

IIRC it was originally discovered when breeders in Emerald noticed they were getting the same IV spreads over and over again. Someone looked into it, and bam.

Black and White are easiest to RNG on IMO, as they don't require split-second timing. It's pretty hard to understand, but when you know what you're doing, shinies/IVs are really easy.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
rsW39.jpg

This guy gets a lot of hate, but this is seriously one of the coolest card arts I've seen.

This is actually from a new mini-set, Dragon Selection, that introduces the Dragon Type to the TCG.

Mothman91

Ok, I have a chance to play Sapphire or Silver. I lost interest after generation II so I'm leaning towards Silver but I haven't heard anything about generation III. Thoughts? Opinions? Facts? Which is better? TELL ME!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ok, I have a chance to play Sapphire or Silver. I lost interest after generation II so I'm leaning towards Silver but I haven't heard anything about generation III. Thoughts? Opinions? Facts? Which is better? TELL ME!

No. No no no no no. Please no.

Gravijah

andrex, keep your gen iii opinions to yourself.

emerald is great if you want to play it. andrex just hates the entire gen for no reason.

Wiseblade

Another day, another gen II/III war...

My honest opinion? Play neither. Silver sucks and Sapphire is barren compared to Emerald. My advice to you is to track down your nearest copy of Pokémon Emerald and play that ASAP. You can thank me later.

If I HAD to choose out of the two... Sapphire.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
andrex, keep your gen iii opinions to yourself.

emerald is great if you want to play it. andrex just hates the entire gen for no reason.

I have tons of reasons. But we've all been down this road eighty billion times already.

I would pick SoulSilver, if only for the massive amounts of content. You can't really go wrong either way.

EDIT: If it's regular, GBC Silver though, then fuck that. Emerald all the way.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I find most of Gen 3's Pokemon either padding or poor in design. Gen 3 has some diamonds, though.

I will say I'm looking forward to the remakes more than anyone else on the planet, and hope I can finally love Hoenn.

Gen 2 was the definition of padding and poor design though. Although I guess it can get a pass because it was the first sequel. Still had a lot of useless shit compared to the few bright spots in terms of the roster.

Gen 2 was the definition of padding and poor design though. Although I guess it can get a pass because it was the first sequel. Still had a lot of useless shit compared to the few bright spots in terms of the roster.

Horrible placement of the new pokemon as well, it's bad enough that some of the new pokemon like Sneasel, Murkrow and Misdreavous were pretty underpowered without evolutions but to make things worse they aren't obtainable until Kanto, hell two of those can't be caught until Mt Silver, was the dark type deemed too powerful for the main game?
A few are hidden away in swarms, once again they were usually pokemon who could have benefited from evos like Qwilfish and Dunsparce.
And of course the introduction of baby pokemon, most of the Gen 2 pokemon just felt wasted to me and like all gens it has some shoddy designs here and there.

Another vote for the third generation. I think the second generation would have benefited from either some new villains or dragging out the Return of Team Rocket a bit longer. Okay story aside, agreed on the placement of new Pokemon. I was furious I couldn't catch a cute Larvitar until after I was done with most of the game. Shame Tyranitar was so ugly. And leveling up in that game was a serious pain. The jump in levels between the final gym leader and the Elite Four and Lance was big and while that has existed in most of the games, at least a lot of them gave you a good chance to level up a bit. And Johto was a bit dry and well a bit samey compared to Kanto (Though I did like some of the gym leaders)

The third generation took place in a region away from the first and second gen games, with some of the most diverse enviroments, where you could explore a raging volcano, a desert, the beach and the sea and to thick forests/jungles. Yes there is a lot of darn water but Pokemon has always had a large amount of water Pokemon compared to the other species so in a way it's a bit appropriate. It introduced double battles (Someone mentioned this already) which added a new dimension to the battles, gave Pokemon abilities that gave them a secondary power like the ability to avoid ground attacks if they were floating or hurting Pokemon who attacked them physically) and gave us some pretty cool looking Pokemon to boot.

We should just compile a list of why Gen 3 is good and just copy and paste when someone asks about it.

Ultratech

Gen 3 bothered me since they didn't implement stuff they should've done from the start.

For example:
-Day/Night Cycle: Time was technically in the game, but had little effect on much. That was one of the cooler features of Gen 2.
-Animated Pokemon: Got included in Emerald, but should've been in R/S from the start.
-Music: Not of fan of Gen 3's music. Just my opinion.

Granted, for all of Gen 3's flaws, it did implement a lot of important stuff like:
-Abilities
-Double Battles
-Natures
-Current EV/IV System (that still remains)
-Specialized Berries (eh...important for metagame, I guess?)

Of course, if you're gonna play any Gen III game that isn't FR/LG, it'd have to be Emerald. So much better than R/S, and much faster and better-looking to boot.

Gen 3 bothered me since they didn't implement stuff they should've done from the start.

For example:
-Day/Night Cycle: Time was technically in the game, but had little effect on much. That was one of the cooler features of Gen 2.
-Animated Pokemon: Got included in Emerald, but should've been in R/S from the start.

These're really just examples of Game Freak's typical "two steps forward, one step back" deal though. See also: lack of Battle Frontier in Diamond/Pearl, lack of Pokemon following you in Black/White.

Mothman91

lol, it looks like I'll try to get my hands on Emerald then. But once I get my hands on a DS, a friend has soulsilver. Should I try to play that as my first pokemon game on a DS or should I go ahead to the newest one whichever it is.

You can go with Black/White but I think every generation has its merits and you should give Soul Silver a shot eventually. It just may be a little hard to go back if you play the newest game first but I never had any issue.

Emitan

4 is the worst gen and almost killed the series for me. Playing my friend's imported copy of black is the only reason i bought it

Top Bottom