• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Firestorm

Pearl got me back into the series.
HeartGold followed by Black made me realize I liked Pearl because I hadn't played a new game in the series in 10 years.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pearl had a slow battle system but Platinum proved how great Sinnoh was. Besides that, Gen 4 has the best starters in the series, and indeed most of the new Pokemon were flipping awesome. This is partly because they gave a gigaton of evolutions to old Pokemon, finally making them viable competitively. Also, the split. Need I say more?

Also Gen 4 includes HeartGold/SoulSilver and I'll be damned if I let anyone talk smack on them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why do people hate Gen 4? It's also the one that got me back into the series.

You, me, and Firestorm as well. I guess if people hate Gen 4 they hate us being into Pokemon.
9KUZF.gif

Gravijah

That may be so but while I've seen the complaints about Gen 2, 3 and 5...I haven't seen the complaints about Gen 4 (Sinnoh) and wanted to know what was it that people didn't like.

game speed is definitely a big issue for vanilla dp. pokemon designs, as always, are subjective.

upandaway

That may be so but while I've seen the complaints about Gen 2, 3 and 5...I haven't seen the complaints about Gen 4 (Sinnoh) and wanted to know what was it that people didn't like.
I didn't even get into gen 4 that bad with DP. It was Platinum that made it click with me.

Up until Platinum I was just replaying the main quest to pass time. Platinum went close to gluing my skin to the DS.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ranrN.png
JDm3z.png
1B2Bi.png
1x9fW.png
LfMRL.png
4IzH8.png
AxNtN.png
zf7hb.png
0lIVR.png
n7GPT.png
qpa4p.png
yNWD3.png
duYgO.png
29MGE.png
jl6S7.png
ZKBjI.png
iNSNd.png
4A7p3.png
Dgj1D.png
D7XyM.png
cc42q.png
JwwIH.png
zwmxw.png
44U4T.png
Dlk7W.png
uqsnO.png
PRifg.png
fr85m.png
B4rR0.png
iuzFO.png
Lj5ru.png
2yBvt.png
CgZkL.png
gUQOl.png
MpI4O.png
6rxgU.png
ZKY49.png
iHvcq.png
4PxIw.png
0RhSF.png

These are all great/good Pokemon/designs. Gen 4 was incredibly designed, and Gen 5 follows on from it.

Kaper

I didn't even get into gen 4 that bad with DP. It was Platinum that made it click with me.

Up until Platinum I was just replaying the main quest to pass time. Platinum went close to gluing my skin to the DS.

This is what is currently happening to me right now. I'm actively playing Fire Red, Emerald, Platinum, and White, but Platinum has got a hold on me. Hands down the best part about Gen 4 was the physical/special split, it made so many more Pokemon viable to use. I also really like the lighthearted feeling to the interface in gen 4 games, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

And I must say, Empoleon is a beast. Water/Steel is so op.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If there's one thing I'm liking about gen 5 so far it's that they scaled back HM usage a lot. DPPt wasn't so bad considering it had the best HM slaves, but it's nice to just have that need virtually eliminated.

Gravijah

If there's one thing I'm liking about gen 5 so far it's that they scaled back HM usage a lot. DPPt wasn't so bad considering it had the best HM slaves, but it's nice to just have that need virtually eliminated.

i think there's literally only one non-side thing that you use an hm for.

Just finishing up the indigo league on the anime now, orange island next, iv skipped the movies because i cant find where half of them fit into the actual timeline so im going to watch them back to back once im done with the entire series.

The show makes a really good background entertainment for playing the DS games, iv decided that im only playing pokemon black and im using and AR to catch the uncatchable pokemon.

Come at me bro's

I cant figure out dream world...

Gen IV introduced the god of all Pokemon.
Arceus
Your arguments are invalid.

Which is a huge problem, how do you make Gen 6 Legendaries more powerful than a god from a canon perspective.

Gen 5 side stepped the issue with,

Victini, The win pokemon
Meloetta, The music pokemon
Genesect, Team Plasma's version of Mewtwo
The Kami (thunder god) Trio dont really count
The Musketeer Quartet dont count either.

Unless they plan to keep side stepping the issue and make all the next legendaries weaker than Arceus i dont see what they can do.

Creating the Original pokemon was a bad move, your basically saying nothing in future gens will ever be as good as this pokemon. Mew kind of shared a similar fate when it was considered the "original pokemon" but it was much less intrusive it was never eluded to as the GOD pokemon

Retcons of course! Arceus will still be a god per se but like something akin to a Zeus, who just descended from two of the Titans. They'll just introduce other 'god' Pokemon who preceded Arceus. Pokemon could use some...ummm Pokemon who are like the Titans.

...I've thought about this too much...

Retcons of course! Arceus will still be a god per se but like something akin to a Zeus, who just descended from two of the Titans. They'll just introduce other 'god' Pokemon who preceded Arceus. Pokemon could use some...ummm Pokemon who are like the Titans.

...I've thought about this too much...

I suppose thats a good idea actually, Titan pokemon are a neat concept. Obviously the Arceus came from a egg in a sea of nothingness bit would have to be retconned but i can really see Titan esq pokemon having a place.

OMG Aero

I don't see why each game's legendary Pokemon has to better than the last.
I preferred it when the legendary Pokemon were just unique or really rare Pokemon like Lugia, Ho-Oh and their trios instead of OH HEY THIS POKEMON CREATED THE SEA THIS ONE RULES TIME AND THIS ONE IS GOD.

I preferred it when the legendary Pokemon were just unique or really rare Pokemon like Lugia, Ho-Oh and their trios instead of OH HEY THIS POKEMON CREATED THE SEA THIS ONE RULES TIME AND THIS ONE IS GOD.

I agree to some degree however they have gone down that path now, and by making god your essentially saying "this is the strongest" and making 100-150 new pokemon without any of them being more powerful than a previously pokemon isnt a good selling point.

Why should i be interested in these, are they strong what makes them unique. There is far better ways to make them unique but nintendo seems to like awful design and power..

Which is a huge problem, how do you make Gen 6 Legendaries more powerful than a god from a canon perspective.

Gen 5 side stepped the issue with,

Victini, The win pokemon
Meloetta, The music pokemon
Genesect, Team Plasma's version of Mewtwo
The Kami (thunder god) Trio dont really count
The Musketeer Quartet dont count either.

Unless they plan to keep side stepping the issue and make all the next legendaries weaker than Arceus i dont see what they can do.

Creating the Original pokemon was a bad move, your basically saying nothing in future gens will ever be as good as this pokemon. Mew kind of shared a similar fate when it was considered the "original pokemon" but it was much less intrusive it was never eluded to as the GOD pokemon

It's simple. Stick with the Titan idea, or make a bunch of evil dark god legendaries.

That's one interesting point I'd like to raise. We don't have that many Pokemon that can be considered "Evil". When Gen 6 comes, I'd like to see an evil team that uses Pokemon that are actually classified as evil. And not like in Colosseum or XD where they have a shadowy aura or something like that, no. Actual "evil" Pokemon. All the evil teams use Pokemon that pretty much everyone use, so why not give an evil team their own evil Pokemon that no one else will use? Execpt for the player that is.

Anyone else think that's a good idea?

It's not like Ho-oh and Lugia didn't have their own mythologies of their own. With the whole Burned Tower and the resurrection of Entei, Raikou, and Suicune.
You dont even battle him

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

You know what DPP absolutely spanks the all other games in the series on?

Encounter ratios.

Am I the only one who liked this guy?
SPl0r.png

He doesn't seem like a very popular guy...

He's cool, I really liked the backstory they gave him (and that he had a backstory.)

Andrex listed Infernape as a 'well designed' Pokemon. Respect minus ten million.

He's the least well designed start for sure, but he easily surpasses almost all of Gen 2, 3, and 5's easily.

It's simple. Stick with the Titan idea, or make a bunch of evil dark god legendaries.

That's one interesting point I'd like to raise. We don't have that many Pokemon that can be considered "Evil". When Gen 6 comes, I'd like to see an evil team that uses Pokemon that are actually classified as evil. And not like in Colosseum or XD where they have a shadowy aura or something like that, no. Actual "evil" Pokemon. All the evil teams use Pokemon that pretty much everyone use, so why not give an evil team their own evil Pokemon that no one else will use? Execpt for the player that is.

Anyone else think that's a good idea?

It's a decent idea. But while not hardcore evil, I think Giratina, Kyurem, and Genesect might fit the bill.

J@hranimo

Banned
Diamond and Pearl have some really good pokemon, but the single player part of the games seem really boring to me. I need to get Platinum sometime soon (mainly for some better moves for pokemon in Gen 5).

Alder is alright for the Champion. He looks cool, but for me it goes Cynthia = Steven > Alder > Wallace > Lance. I think Alder's cool points may go up if they explain more about him in Gray.

OMG Aero

I agree to some degree however they have gone down that path now, and by making god your essentially saying "this is the strongest" and making 100-150 new pokemon without any of them being more powerful than a previously pokemon isnt a good selling point.

Why should i be interested in these, are they strong what makes them unique. There is far better ways to make them unique but nintendo seems to like awful design and power..
Considering that none of the gen 5 Pokemon are above Arceus I wouldn't say they've gone down that path at all. And I don't see why every generation has to introduce a new strongest Pokemon or it isn't interesting, if anything, constantly one upping the previous generation would just lead to a power creep where old generations are no longer useful.
It's not like Ho-oh and Lugia didn't have their own mythologies of their own. With the whole Burned Tower and the resurrection of Entei, Raikou, and Suicune.

I don't have a problem with the legendary Pokemon having mythologies around them. Ho-Oh just revived three Pokemon that perished in its tower it wasn't the Pokemon that gave life to everything and Lugia was just a big bird that chilled out in the ocean and could stop the legendary birds not creator of the seas.
I'm completely fine with legendary Pokemon having cool little backstories to them or a place in the world like that, I have a problem with a legendary Pokemon being solely responsible for creating the earth or ruling space or something. At that point the legendary Pokemon is basically a demigod and then the idea that a kid can catch it just becomes fucking stupid.

Kjellson

If Pokémon were real, do you think there would be pedophile Pokémon?

I personally think Mr. Mime would be the most common Pokémon Predator.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Hah, Hypno is the original pedophile Pokemon...

Fire Red Pokedex said:
It carries a pendulum-like device. There once was an incident in which it took away a child it hypnotized.

Also, Gen 4 is a mixed bag when it comes to Pokemon Design...I actually think I like the new evos far better than the actual new Pokemon, although I do LOVE Grotle, Carnivine, and Bronzong.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The whole Turtwig line is my favorite starter line, although Tepig comes close.

I have to admit my love for Grotle came from the episode in the show where it barreled across a canyon cliff using Rock Climb. It was cool. :/

Top Bottom