• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Conquest |OT| Gotta conquer 'em all

massoluk

Banned
The micromanagement is driving me insane. One month turn is costing me 30-45 minutes or even hour. The cumbersome UI didn't help managing the different pokemons linked to each warriors/warlords. The SRPG action part is fun, but getting there... geez.

I just beat the game myself.

My final team was Espeon, Wigglytuff, Samurott, Luxray, Darmanitan (dat Fire Blast) and (of course), Scrafty. I was actually surprised how easy Nobunaga was; I was only on May of Year 6 and he folded like a house of cards.

Nice job! My Glaceon almost single handedly destroyed the final map (with a little help from Luxray and Darmanitan)

Nice job! My Glaceon almost single handedly destroyed the final map (with a little help from Luxray and Darmanitan)

Thanks! I was tempted to go with Glaceon (the game gave me the evolution prompt upon beating the Ice kingdom), but my lifelong affinity for Espeon made me do otherwise. I was really impressed by how much of a tank Scrafty was, too--Hi-Jump Kick rips through weakened foes, Shed Skin shrugs off status, and his HP and Defense are high enough to keep him in the fray for prolonged periods of time.

I also took the time to grind gold so that I could give both Samurott and Darmanitan their hidden abilites (I forget what they're called), which increases all of their stats (ATK, DEF, RNG, SPD) whenever they KO another Pokémon. When combined with the raw power that they both wield, it makes them borderline game-breaking.

... I was really impressed by how much of a tank Scrafty was, too--Hi-Jump Kick rips through weakened foes, Shed Skin shrugs off status, and his HP and Defense are high enough to keep him in the fray for prolonged periods of time.

I also took the time to grind gold so that I could give both Samurott and Darmanitan their hidden abilites (I forget what they're called), which increases all of their stats (ATK, DEF, RNG, SPD) whenever they KO another Pokémon. When combined with the raw power that they both wield, it makes them borderline game-breaking.

I need to keep your strategy in mind for the ultimate endgame (after the 30 warlord missions)

How did you give them their hidden abilities with gold? What did you buy that unlocked them? (I'm probably missing something glaringly obvious)

I need to keep your strategy in mind for the ultimate endgame (after the 30 warlord missions)

How did you give them their hidden abilities with gold? What did you buy that unlocked them? (I'm probably missing something glaringly obvious)

There's a hot spring in the Steel kingdom that allows your Pokémon to change its ability in exchange for gold. The average Pokémon has two "normal" abilities (costing 3000-ish gold each) and one "hidden" ability, which is usually horribly overpowered and costing 10 000 gold. Some examples of hidden abilities:

Scrafty: Maxes out ATK when 2/3rds of its HP is missing

Espeon: Allows it to move as if it is Flying-type, with the exception of not being able to move over water

Luxray: Increases its Range to nightmarish levels

XeroSauce

Ugh, my Pokemon OCD is kicking in. Linking with everything, recruiting everyone, grinding forever to get my evolutions before progressing further. I'll never beat the main story, at this rate!

Exact same situation here. Plus work + social life = not putting enough time to beating the main story like I want to.

Just beat the first campaign. Glaceon was insanely awesome against Nobunaga's
Rayquaza
. I clocked in at around 12 hours, into Year 6. I might have been doing it wrong, but outside a dozen of the recruited Warlords, I didn't do much grinding. The link percentages for my Warlords were in the mid-seventies for the final battle. I did however, link with the majority of the recruited Warlords' *perfect* partners. Do these carry over? Or will I need to do it all over again?

Any tips going forth? I'm beginning with Ginchiyo's story. How do I evolve her? I had more than 70% link with Luxray in the first campaign, but she didn't evolve. Is this something that can only be done through her campaign?

Roto13

Rather than grind my Eevee into a Glaceon for the Dragon castle, I recruited a bunch of Ice Pokemon, including that one Warlord who uses a Cubchoo. They were all strong enough to evolve basically right away, so I beat Nobunaga with three Walrein (Blizzard <3), a Glalie, a Beartic, and a Conkledurr.
And then I didn't bother to change my team for the final tower and won again with all of those minus Glalie plus Arceus. :p

Really digging this game. I started one of the extra stories, but had stuff to do so I couldn't finish it. Will definitely be going back to it today.

Ugh, my Pokemon OCD is kicking in. Linking with everything, recruiting everyone, grinding forever to get my evolutions before progressing further. I'll never beat the main story, at this rate!

This has been pretty much my problem. I've started obsessing over perfect links and getting the right warlords for the right Pokemon, etc. etc. It's driving me nuts, but I've managed to evolve a Riolu into a Lucario which will be fun.

Kenshin's Gallade is super-broken right now and basically rips through everything, although I also gave him an Abra that quickly evolved into Kadabra, and Kadabra is a beast, too. I want to evolve Dratini into a Dragonair but it's taking forever.

Blizzard

Banned
The micromanagement is driving me insane. One month turn is costing me 30-45 minutes or even hour. The cumbersome UI didn't help managing the different pokemons linked to each warriors/warlords. The SRPG action part is fun, but getting there... geez.
I heard that some things (warlords and pokemon in other kingdoms) you can set to just manage themselves -- is that something that would help you out, or are you already doing that?

For people asking about getting pokemon to evolve, I think I saw earlier in the thread that a link% of
70 or so
is needed to evolve, and you can grind faster if you bring fewer warlords or something like that to a fight.

Rarutos

Oh god, the post game is amazing.

I'm such a sucker for multiple stories. This many stories in one game is just aaaahh I WANT TO DO IT ALL for me. *A*

I heard that some things (warlords and pokemon in other kingdoms) you can set to just manage themselves -- is that something that would help you out, or are you already doing that?

For people asking about getting pokemon to evolve, I think I saw earlier in the thread that a link% of
70 or so
is needed to evolve, and you can grind faster if you bring fewer warlords or something like that to a fight.

I think Magikarp's evolution is tied to its Attack stat rather than its Link Percentage. Try boosting its energy more; it should make a huge difference.

how long til dark kingdom? i want umbreon. i just beat cragspur and still have 3 of the 4 left for that objective

Eevee evolves into Umbreon by winning a battle in the Dark kingdom when its Link is over 70%. You probably won't be getting it until much later in the game.

Kiyomasa's story is kicking my butt.
Can't recruit more warlords and not strong enough to win skirmishes inside my palace walls to beef up my guys.

It doesn't help that Larvitar's attack misses 50% of the time.

This is a one star difficulty quest. I fear the 5 star difficulties.

Roto13

Minor postgame spoilers:

So I'm working through the three stories about the three kids having a fight, and it's kind of amazing how much harder the third one is. Maybe I'm just having bad luck, but it seems like my shitty Skorupi and Tepig are completely incapable of accomplishing anything. I challenge anything to a fight and lose, so I can't recruit any more warriors, all the while the other kingdoms are constantly getting stronger and there's nothing I can do about it. It's infuriating. I had absolutely no trouble with the first two stories.

It's like starting a Pokemon and getting a Magikarp with Splash as your starter, and being unable to beat even the Route 1 Pidgeys, so there's nothing you can do.

EDIT: Ha, the above post wasn't there when I was writing this. :p At least Larvitar is a non-shit Pokemon.

Blizzard

Banned
Presumably it's good news that postgame content is difficult, but from what I read, the downside is that luck may be involved in terms of getting good pokemon to start the postgame stories, or something like that. I don't know if the answer is to restart the story until you get a more viable pokemon (which would be lame), or if there are actual viable strategy ways to get past those points.

Any advice from people who liked the postgame content?

Presumably it's good news that postgame content is difficult, but from what I read, the downside is that luck may be involved in terms of getting good pokemon to start the postgame stories, or something like that. I don't know if the answer is to restart the story until you get a more viable pokemon (which would be lame), or if there are actual viable strategy ways to get past those points.

Any advice from people who liked the postgame content?

There's got to be a strategic solution, I'm just not sure what it is or seeing it yet.

Roto13

There's got to be a strategic solution, I'm just not sure what it is or seeing it yet.

I don't think there is, really. If you can even just recruit a new warrior or two, so you have a big enough team to recruit more warriors and Pokemon from random matches, you're all set. It might take a while before you can move on, but it's doable. But I can literally accomplish absolutely nothing in my story, and if I lose or do nothing, my opponent only gets stronger, and it just gets more hopeless.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, if there's absolutely no strategy, I guess you can just restart that particular mission a few times until you get better starting warlords or something?

Roto13

Well, if there's absolutely no strategy, I guess you can just restart that particular mission a few times until you get better starting warlords or something?

I've restarted a few times. I always get the same two characters and Pokemon. The opponents are randomized, though, so there's some hope, I guess. :p

Kazerei

Banned
There was one time I started a post-game story, and one of my neighbouring kingdoms had 4 warlord/warriors! I reset and then there was only 2. Made it alot easier to conquer.

Roto13

There was one time I started a post-game story, and one of my neighbouring kingdoms had 4 warlord/warriors! I reset and then there was only 2. Made it alot easier to conquer.

Oh, yeah, there's that, too. First time was three, second time was four. Third time was two, but I was at a type disadvantage. :p

Picked this game up last night. Went on my first shopping around campaign in a while - nothing at Gamestop (they only received preorders), and they had a promotion at Toys R Us so they were sold out there, too. Found it at a Meijer's and I was quite pleased with myself.

I'm only about an hour in, and have only conquered Ignis so far. Chose the female MC because the male sort of looks like a dork (I'll be doing the same thing in B/W2). Question: are there any other Pokemon that the MC can get a perfect link with besides Evee?

Picked this game up last night. Went on my first shopping around campaign in a while - nothing at Gamestop (they only received preorders), and they had a promotion at Toys R Us so they were sold out there, too. Found it at a Meijer's and I was quite pleased with myself.

I'm only about an hour in, and have only conquered Ignis so far. Chose the female MC because the male sort of looks like a dork (I'll be doing the same thing in B/W2). Question: are there any other Pokemon that the MC can get a perfect link with besides Evee?

Generally, every Warlord only has one "perfect" Pokémon, but the PC can get very high links with the Aron, Sewaddle, and Gothita families (at least from my experience).

Generally, every Warlord only has one "perfect" Pokémon, but the PC can get very high links with the Aron, Sewaddle, and Gothita families (at least from my experience).

Hmm. So is simply using whatever Pokemon you want a viable strategy, or would the maximum (meagre) link level with a Pokemon limit their effectiveness in battle?

Roto13

You'll get more out of your characters overall if you focus on using Pokemon they have a high link rate with, but you're also going to want to abuse type advantages as much as possible. :p My Eevee didn't even make an appearance in the last couple of battles.

balddemon

Banned

mine has an 86% link with Gyarados and Joltik. based on your friend's brother and what his pokemon is, i'm going to guess that the MC uses
Arceus
as well, lol. just a guess, i really dont know.

spoilered reasoning for my conclusion
because oichi is normal/dragon and her brother nobunaga uses zekrom so i'm guessing oichi will use reshiram and u will use arceus. thats my reasoning.

lingiii

Banned

Can perfect link with
any of the eeveelutions, which become clear later.

Also, pay attention when recruiting mans once you can. A gold link medal is like a max of 80% usually, which will be enough for full evolution at least. On the ones I tried anyway.

Roto13

I reset one more time and got lucky enough to recruit Oichi, so the rest of that chapter went smoothly. Now I've moved on to Ieyatsu's chapter. I have to collect 100 Pokemon? Cool, I'm glad there's some variety like that. Now to figure out how to tell who is maxed out on Pokemon without wasting time recruiting and releasing them.

Other armies are invading each other a lot more in this chapter, so more is happening during each turn than there was during the main story.

Utako

Banned
I haven't enjoyed Pokemon this much since Red/Blue. So happy I picked this up!

Though I wish I weren't paranoid about other kingdoms invading all the time. Just let me chillax, bro!

Roto13

I haven't enjoyed Pokemon this much since Red/Blue. So happy I picked this up!

Though I wish I weren't paranoid about other kingdoms invading all the time. Just let me chillax, bro!

If they do invade you and take one of your kingdoms, they only leave a pitiful force there that you can totally destroy with your regular team. :p

Blizzard

Banned
Game is in town and should arrive tomorrow! I have a question from a huge review someone wrote on Amazon, since people are apparently in the postgame here. Giant wall of text:

The other reviews have already covered the general idea behind this game, so I won't recap them here again. Suffice it to say that I enjoy the Tactics style of strategy RPGs, and I enjoy Pokemon, so this game was the best of both worlds for me, right up until I beat the main story.

I feel compelled to give others the warning I did not get. Once you beat the main story line, the after-game is a great many "Episodes" that can be pretty short to almost as long as the original game itself. Taken together, they make up more playtime than the main game does. Sounds great, doesn't it? There is one problem, each episode is an entirely self contained side-game. You do not get to use the team you spent the entire main game building up. You use whatever character the game says you use for that episode, and all of their link percentages are reset to whatever level the episode says it should be at. There is no New Game +, and there is no way to get back to the main "all of the castles" map once you finish the main story. It effectively takes all of the work you put into it and throws it away.

Someone would be quick to point out though that when you recruit someone in an episode, they automatically get whatever pokemon (and its evolutionary state) that they had in the main game. On the surface, this sounds like "Oh, well at least all the effort I put into the main game wasn't entirely wasted, I do at least get the pokemon back". I would like to warn you that it is more of a handicap than a help. If you are like me, you recruited every warrior you could find at the start of the game, but stopped after you got a whole team full of warlords with perfect link pokemon. This means you had/have a bunch of generic warriors with whatever weak pokemon you had at the start of the game sitting in castles filling space to make you gold by the end of the game. Why is this a problem? Many of the episodes let you fight warriors with powerful pokemon you didn't have access to in the main game. When you recruit them, the game will automatically overwrite whatever powerful pokemon they have now with whatever weak one they had in the main game. Having trouble progressing, and you see someone with a munchlax, or a deino, or a bedlam with strong attacks and lots of hitpoints that you want to recruit? Not so fast, you recruited him already in the main game, and he had a whooper there. Congratulations, your new recruit now has a whooper too instead of the good pokemon you wanted, and there is absolutely no way to prevent it from overwriting him. You also cannot access your main game anymore to try and stock them up with more useable pokemon to use in the episodes. You are forever locked with whatever junk you left them rotting in the castle with.

The game really is fun. And I am sure there will be people that love the after-game episodes, but I am not one of them. I feel like I put time and effort into building my team and their link percentages only to have it basically erased without my consent. The carrot for those episodes is to recruit new warlords and get legendaries for the ones you had, like Mewtwo and Groudon. The only problem is that once you get those legendaries, the episode ends, and you don't get to use them again. What is the point of having all of these legendaries and warlord transformations when the chances are you will never actually get to use any of them?

Its not a reward unless I get to USE THEM. As is, all it does is add an entry in what amounts to your pokedex. Big whooping deal.

Bottom line, the game is great. The mechanics are great. Just do not finish that last battle, or you will simply be throwing all of your effort in the trash. Or if you do finish it, at least be warned up front to go through and give every last junk warrior in all of your castles really excellent pokemon, because that will make or break your after-game episodes and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it after you get there but erase your game and start over from scratch.

So, 5 stars for the main story, 1 star for everything after that, average out to 3 stars for me.

Is the above accurate? Do you need to be very careful about what you leave in castles before finishing the first storyline, and do you never get to use any pokemon that you catch after that? Or is this person missing something?

MicH

Okay, so I have a weird problem regarding playing the game. I'm in Europe and imported it from Australia (sent Friday - received today! Damn fast!). Anyway, when I tried to play it on my DSi XL today it doesn't register (says no card is inserted). Probably some form of region-lock. However the weird thing is, that I can play it just fine on my 3DS? What on Earth? Both consoles are PAL. Does anyone know why?

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, so I have a weird problem regarding playing the game. I'm in Europe and imported it from Australia (sent Friday - received today! Damn fast!). Anyway, when I tried to play it on my DSi XL today it doesn't register (says no card is inserted). Probably some form of region-lock. However the weird thing is, that I can play it just fine on my 3DS? What on Earth? Both consoles are PAL. Does anyone know why?
I think someone else mentioned earlier in the thread that it works on 3DS but might have issues with DSi ("DSi-enhanced"?), not sure.

XeroSauce

Game is in town and should arrive tomorrow! I have a question from a huge review someone wrote on Amazon, since people are apparently in the postgame here. Giant wall of text:

Is the above accurate? Do you need to be very careful about what you leave in castles before finishing the first storyline, and do you never get to use any pokemon that you catch after that? Or is this person missing something?

That makes it incredibly sad. I am so concerned about training my main Warlords..and I don't mind working on my other Warriors, but that means more time just grinding Link%, which isn't the fun part (new maps and bosses are).

Blizzard

Banned
That makes it incredibly sad. I am so concerned about training my main Warlords..and I don't mind working on my other Warriors, but that means more time just grinding Link%, which isn't the fun part (new maps and bosses are).
Well I thought enough people were in the postgame that they would be able to tell me how bad it is. It does sound sad if you worked a long time on a pokemon or warlord and then lost them, so I guess I'll just have to steel myself to it.

Does the AI cheat in this game as blatantly as the AI in Final Fantasy Tactics and other similar games?

Or does it throw any insane challenges where you fight a level 100 megaboss with an 80% accuracy OHKO move at level 60?

Shahadan

Well I thought enough people were in the postgame that they would be able to tell me how bad it is. It does sound sad if you worked a long time on a pokemon or warlord and then lost them, so I guess I'll just have to steel myself to it.

Actually, the post game episodes are just taht, some other stories. In most of them you meet some of the warriors from the main game, and they still have the 'mons from your main quest with them.

In practice you meet some warrior you played with in your main quest, and he has its default pokemon if he is a famous one. A common warrior will use another random pokemon BUT once recuited, the poké you made him link with in your main game will replace the random poké.
So you still have the pokemons you trained, even if the link percentage is reset.

Sometimes it sucks though, because if you saerching for let's say a water pokemon and spot a Warrior with one and recruit him, it'll be replaced by his pokemon from the main game, in my case Scraggy -_-

But you have to remember, the post game is just a way to complete your gallery and play more of the game. Well, it is designed that way, you may or may not like that aspect. So yeah I guess if you meet a legendary in the post game it will be lost afterwards as I doubt what you do in a side story carries over in the others but don't wuote me on that.

Blizzard

Banned
Hmm, does that mean that some legendaries (say, Mewtwo) can only be encountered in side missions AND you can never use them outside of those missions, then? As in, there's no sort of New Game+ according to the review, so you can't replay stuff in the main storyline?

Kazerei

Banned

I haven't ever noticed if any of the generic warriors were the same as the ones I had during the main story, but maybe I'm just unobservant. I delegated almost everyone to "training" though, so they'd be fairly strong anyway.

I just opened my current save file and checked all the free battles. Found seven generic warriors, and they all seem to be brand new with link percentages ending in .00%. (Edit: nevermind this part, they have a set Pokemon and link % in battle) I suppose it's possible to re-recruit the warriors from the main story, but I'm pretty sure I only ended with like ~40 out of the ~160, so maybe I'm lucky and just getting new ones.

At any rate, I'm not finding this to be a problem. I've got some strong warlords to carry my teams. The warriors tend to be weaker but they can hold their own.

Kazerei

Banned
Double-post I know, but just to clarify.

The post-game stories are like starting a new game. You get handed a pre-defined set of warlords/warriors, with low link percentages ending in xx.00%. None of the warlords/warriors or items carry over from the main story or other stories afaik. So yeah, you have to start fresh and build yourself up again.

I haven't finished all the stories yet, but supposedly the very final story
features your warlord of Aurora kingdom. You'll be given back everything you had in the main story, plus you get to use ALL the warlords in the game.

MLH

Yep it's accurate, I'm not even sure if you get to replay as the hero again (or at least I've yet to). The recruiting of warriors can be annoying post game when, as mentioned, you beat someone who has a Sandile only to find they have a Magikarp when recruiting. But it's not all bad, you don't lose evolved pokemon/ warlords just the link is reset; the game would be broken if it didn't, your team would be too powerful. My advice would be to play easier chapters and capture the best pokemon for each warrior/ warlord, then grind untill the pokemon and warlord evolve (thankfully you never have to battle those powered up versions but it will give you an advantage when you recruit them).

Yeah, I had the same problem. It's strange since I always thought the 3DS acted like a DSi when playing; for example you can take advantage of all the DSi features in Pokemon Black when playing on a 3DS, camera chat, WPA encryption etc. Yet Pokemon Conquest doesn't work on the DSi but does on the 3DS...

Top Bottom