• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Conquest |OT| Gotta conquer 'em all

tim.mbp

Just picked it up at Walmart. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that a Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition game exists. Crazy.

Kazerei

Banned
Just to add to that, the main story took me 11 hours to finish fairly comfortably. I trained more than I really needed to.

The side stories range greatly, from 1 hour to probably 10+ hours. In total it's easily a 100+ hour game.

balddemon

Banned
the water kingdom was a joke lol

dude lined 2 of his 4 pokes up for my carnivines vine whip to take out in one shot

next turn? he does the same thing. won in 3 turns. silly goose

Forkball

Fuck Kenshin's broken-ass Gallade.

Actually (spoilers around 7 kingdoms conquered):
when you are asked to fight Shingen and Kenshin, it seems that you only fight one of them. I decided to go after Shingen first, and he counter attacked by sending Yukimura to siege one of my castles. After I defeated Yukimura, I fought Shingen. After the victory, Kenshin appeared and joined me since I was strong enough to defeat is rival. So if you are having trouble fighting Kenshin (his stage is really annoying), then try Shingen.

Roto13

Actually (spoilers around 7 kingdoms conquered):
when you are asked to fight Shingen and Kenshin, it seems that you only fight one of them. I decided to go after Shingen first, and he counter attacked by sending Yukimura to siege one of my castles. After I defeated Yukimura, I fought Shingen. After the victory, Kenshin appeared and joined me since I was strong enough to defeat is rival. So if you are having trouble fighting Kenshin (his stage is really annoying), then try Shingen.

I should remember that if I ever play through it again. I managed to beat Kenshin on my fourth try because it was the only time his Gallade didn't immediately plant itself on a flag and never move again. His high evasion rate, Parry ability, and apparently just generally high defense made him basically unbeatable when he was camped on that flag. I pummeled him with three-to-four Pokemon for about ten turns and he never went down.

Rarutos

Bleh, I'm being all perfectionisty and trying to get capture every Warrior's Perfect Link mons as well as recruiting everyone that I can even though I know I don't have the capacity to hold everyone! I wonder if that's bad...

I finally got around to picking up this game today, and I'm really liking it so far.

Question: When's the earliest you can obtain Scraggy in the game? I really don't want to miss it...

I finally got around to picking up this game today, and I'm really liking it so far.

Question: When's the earliest you can obtain Scraggy in the game? I really don't want to miss it...

I just picked one up in the 5th kingdom, but idk if that's the earliest possible time to get one.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i think i might have missed this, but is there a way to dismiss pokemon from generals? having maxed out at 40% pokemon pisses me off.

how do i catch pokemon that don't have a warrior attached?

go into a field with wild pokemon, and when your pokemon are standing next to the wild pokemon, use the link command.

backlot

go into a field with wild pokemon, and when your pokemon are standing next to the wild pokemon, use the link command.

I think you have to get to a certain point in the story before you can link with wild Pokemon. So if you don't see the link command yet just play until they tell you how to do it.

Kazerei

Banned
Is there any way to dismiss warriors?
I've been recruiting everyone, and I'm almost at the brink.

You can't dismiss them, but you can replace them. If you recruit a new warrior in a kingdom that's full, you get the choose where to place the new warrior. This gives you an opportunity to replace a warrior with the new one.

i think i might have missed this, but is there a way to dismiss pokemon from generals? having maxed out at 40% pokemon pisses me off.

You can't dismiss them, but you can replace them. Each warrior has a capacity ranging from 4 to 8. Fill the warrior up with and link to a new Pokemon. This gives you an opportunity to replace a Pokemon with the new one.

So yeah, you can't really delete anything, but there's really no downside to having Warriors/Pokemon you don't need. Other than it's annoying to OCD-ers.

Blizzard

Banned
Can someone clarify again how it works with 200 pokemon but only (whatever) number of slots for warlords and pokemon? Do you have some sort of gallery/pokedex that shows which ones you have captured even if they are not currently in your army?

(my copy is currently in like, west virginia so I still can't play)

Kazerei

Banned
Can someone clarify again how it works with 200 pokemon but only (whatever) number of slots for warlords and pokemon? Do you have some sort of gallery/pokedex that shows which ones you have captured even if they are not currently in your army?

(my copy is currently in like, west virginia so I still can't play)

Yep, there's a gallery that keeps track of all the Warriors/Pokemon you've seen or captured, and also details each Warrior/Pokemon's stats and skills.

Blizzard

Banned
Ah, so it's like in pokemon, where I think (at least in some versions) there weren't enough PC box slots to hold all possible pokemon. Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad.

Roto13

The Steel kingdom was tough, because Steel Pokemon are just tough to damage, but I built a Steel-specific team and used actual strategy and won and it was very satisfying. Darmanitan's Fire Blast helped. :p

The Steel kingdom was tough, because Steel Pokemon are just tough to damage, but I built a Steel-specific team and used actual strategy and won and it was very satisfying. Darmanitan's Fire Blast helped. :p

I agree. I used Darmitan too. I routed them after some planning.
Waiting for
the cameras and gates to go through their motions
made the map take forever compared to the other maps.

I should remember that if I ever play through it again. I managed to beat Kenshin on my fourth try because it was the only time his Gallade didn't immediately plant itself on a flag and never move again. His high evasion rate, Parry ability, and apparently just generally high defense made him basically unbeatable when he was camped on that flag. I pummeled him with three-to-four Pokemon for about ten turns and he never went down.

I had trouble with Gallade until I all-out stormed him. I got lucky, used Darumaka and caused a Burn effect on Gallade which neutralized the flag's healing. With three Pokemon attacking him per turn and at least two getting through without a Parry, I finally nailed him to the wall on my fourth or fifth try. It just took tons of preparation pre-fight.

Blizzard

Banned
I had trouble with Gallade until I all-out stormed him. I got lucky, used Darumaka and caused a Burn effect on Gallade which neutralized the flag's healing. With three Pokemon attacking him per turn and at least two getting through without a Parry, I finally nailed him to the wall on my fourth or fifth try. It just took tons of preparation pre-fight.
From what people are describing, the majority of the strategy (as opposed to say, Advance Wars) is in the preparation of bringing the right team etc. as opposed to moving around the field. I suppose to a smaller degree that's true of normal pokemon as well though.

I just beat Kenshin myself, actually. I went in with a team of Scraggy/Dewott/Rufflet/Jigglypuff/Darumaka/Luxio, and I barely scraped through. When there were 6 turns to go, his Gallade was planted on the only flag I didn't have and was at almost full health. My Dewott had 20 HP and I thought he was a goner, but he scored a lucky Confusion off of his Water Pulse which caused Gallade to move off of the flag and attempt to attack Scraggy. Next turn, Scraggy grabs the flag; I win. It was luck tactics at their finest.

XeroSauce

From what people are describing, the majority of the strategy (as opposed to say, Advance Wars) is in the preparation of bringing the right team etc. as opposed to moving around the field. I suppose to a smaller degree that's true of normal pokemon as well though.

Finding that as well. Hence why recruiting every Warrior and getting them to train is very important, because you NEED Warriors with varying powers and type strengths, so that you can simply use map and type advantages against the AI.

Of course, having just strong Pokemon/Warlords in general helps.

Roto13

So Eevee can evolve at 70% link, right? Mine's at about 63 and I'm at the 17th castle. I kinda want to grind until I can evolve it into a Glaceon.

Getting this today, no question.

So do the alternate campaigns in this game work like they do in the Warriors games? Where you unlock characters as you complete other storylines? Will I be able to play as Nobunaga?

Kazerei

Banned
Getting this today, no question.

So do the alternate campaigns in this game work like they do in the Warriors games? Where you unlock characters as you complete other storylines? Will I be able to play as Nobunaga?

Each of the post-game stories focuses on one of the Warlords. And yeah, one story you get to play as Nobunaga. After you finish all the side stories, you'll return to the main story with all Warlords unlocked.

So Eevee can evolve at 70% link, right? Mine's at about 63 and I'm at the 17th castle. I kinda want to grind until I can evolve it into a Glaceon.

Yeah, Eevee should evolve after reaching 70% Link. I chose glaceon as well, damn near solo'd the final kingdom.

Is there any way to properly grind? I only get like 0.1% from non-story battles. :/

Bring fewer warriors to battle, and pick locations with more enemies. In the post-game you can level up locations so the enemies are stronger.

MLH

Game arrived on Saturday. Unfortunately it did not work in my EU DSi but as reported by others it does work on the EU 3DS.
So I have been playing it for a good few hours now and I really like it, battles are simple but building an army is fun; capturing the best pokemon for your warriors determining the best party to bring into battle and searching for warlords is great.
I'm up to conquering the final three areas and I have quite a few warlords recruited to my army already. And I've just noticed the complete map is
the shape of Arceus
, which is cute.

Kazerei

Banned
Game arrived on Saturday. Unfortunately it did not work in my EU DSi but as reported by others it does work on the EU 3DS.
So I have been playing it for a good few hours now and I really like it, battles are simple but building an army is fun; capturing the best pokemon for your warriors determining the best party to bring into battle and searching for warlords is great.
I'm up to conquering the final three areas and I have quite a few warlords recruited to my army already. And I've just noticed the complete map is
the shape of Arceus
, which is cute.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Every DSi-enhanced game seems to behave differently :S

Platy

Played a lot at a friends house... awesome game !

The kind of change in the formula that the series needed in a LONG time.

Is there any way to know what pokemon will be the perfect link with a warrior instead of just fighting and looking for medals ?

Is there any way to dismiss warriors?
I've been recruiting everyone, and I'm almost at the brink.

If you recruit a warrior with a full lineup you have to choose where you put him, if you choose to put him where you recruited him, you will have to put him in the place of a warrior .. and that warrior will be dissmissed.

Made this by acident and lost a charmander ... not a good idea =x

But they appear in the same castle you found then.

Does anyone know how I can recruit Kunoichi? I've defeated her like, four times with a supereffective move and in under 4 turns, and yet she keeps eluding me.

Shahadan

Does anyone know how I can recruit Kunoichi? I've defeated her like, four times with a supereffective move and in under 4 turns, and yet she keeps eluding me.

You have to defeat famous generals with your own famous generals iirc. Not the common ones (and I think not the two main characters)

Edit : My bad, maybe she requires special conditions, I found that on google :

"to recruit her you have to defeat her pokemon using Yoshihiro's pokemon"

You have to defeat famous generals with your own famous generals iirc. Not the common ones (and I think not the two main characters)

Edit : My bad, maybe she requires special conditions, I found that on google :

"to recruit her you have to defeat her pokemon using Yoshihiro's pokemon"

Thanks a ton! I did what you suggested and she joined me right away.

Forkball

Holy crap Yaksha is tough. The Zubat messes up my bug pokemon, and the Scraggy messes up my normal Pokemon. Not to mention so many BS misses on Zoroark. I guess I should take the poison kingdom first.

Blizzard

Banned
This is the week! I'm thinking by like, Wednesday my copy should actually get here. I'll be in the position of the earlier poster, trying to think of a suitable girl main character name that fits with the theme. =P

This is the week! I'm thinking by like, Wednesday my copy should actually get here. I'll be in the position of the earlier poster, trying to think of a suitable girl main character name that fits with the theme. =P

Here are some of my favourite female Japanese names:

Amaya ("night rain;" very appropriate should you evolve Eevee into Umbreon or Vaporeon)

Rika ("valued fragrance")

Shiori ("poem")

Emi ("blessing")

Haru ("spring")

Whatever you do, don't name her "Chikayo" like I did. It seems like half the people I've been recruiting have "Chika" somewhere in their names, and it's getting confusing.

Korosenai

Beat the game yesterday. Took me 10 hours and was a lot of fun. Ended up beating it with Jolteon, Jigglypuff, Darmanitan, Conkeldurr, Empoleon, and Gallade.

Now im onto the side quests.

Beat the game yesterday. Took me 10 hours and was a lot of fun. Ended up beating it with Jolteon, Jigglypuff, Darmanitan, Conkeldurr, Empoleon, and Gallade.

Now im onto the side quests.

I just beat the game myself.

My final team was Espeon, Wigglytuff, Samurott, Luxray, Darmanitan (dat Fire Blast) and (of course), Scrafty. I was actually surprised how easy Nobunaga was; I was only on May of Year 6 and he folded like a house of cards.

Izayoi

Banned
Ugh, my Pokemon OCD is kicking in. Linking with everything, recruiting everyone, grinding forever to get my evolutions before progressing further. I'll never beat the main story, at this rate!

Korosenai

I just beat the game myself.

My final team was Espeon, Wigglytuff, Samurott, Luxray, Darmanitan (dat Fire Blast) and (of course), Scrafty. I was actually surprised how easy Nobunaga was; I was only on May of Year 6 and he folded like a house of cards.
Yea, he was super easy. My jolteon had 430 hp and pretty much won it for me. Conkeldurr was a beast as well, and darmanitan is a top tier pokemon in this game lol.

Top Bottom