• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Conquest |OT| Gotta conquer 'em all

And how do you capture Pokemon??????

You'll be able to catch them later on in the story.

When catching a pokemon, you would go next to them and choose the "link" option. You'll then play a little minigame in order to do so. Nothing hard. You don't have to attack them at all. It may take 1 or 2 tries to get them.

They'll be different colored medals (bronze/silver/gold) ontop of a pokemon's head. That shows how good of a link they have with a Warlord.

16 of 17 kingdoms conquered in just under 10 hours.

So there's 17 Kingdoms in total. Each Kingdom can hold 6 people...so 102 in total...even though there's 200 Warriors/Warlords. If the post game missions don't open up new Kingdoms, I guess we'll be switching though Warriors/Warlords until we get the ones we actually want. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't evolved my Eevee either. Waiting till after I beat the game. Not sure what type I'll get but it's good to know I can use that Eevee password later and catch a few more.

About the passwords, I know it can be used only once, but I don't get it. Does it mean it disappears forever or can you use it multiple times with every new game?

I read a post on Gamefaq that said one password lasts a month. What's that all about?

Kazerei

Banned
Alright, I just finished the main story! 10 hours 53 minutes on the save file. I was going to grind a bit more, but then I just went for it. In the final battle, four of my Pokemon fainted, but I got the job done.

So there's 17 Kingdoms in total. Each Kingdom can hold 6 people...so 102 in total...even though there's 200 Warriors/Warlords. If the post game missions don't open up new Kingdoms, I guess we'll be switching though Warriors/Warlords until we get the ones we actually want. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't evolved my Eevee either. Waiting till after I beat the game. Not sure what type I'll get but it's good to know I can use that Eevee password later and catch a few more.

So I poked around, and the post-game episodes are basically like starting a new game again. But instead of playing as the hero/heroine of Aurora kingdom, you play as the warlord leader of another kingdom. You're given a few Pokemon/warriors to start with, and then you have to go conquer other kingdoms.

It's like the main episode and side episodes exist in alternate dimensions. The Pokemon/warriors you recruit during any episode get added to the Gallery, so you don't have to worry about running out of space.

About the passwords, I know it can be used only once, but I don't get it. Does it mean it disappears forever or can you use it multiple times with every new game?

I read a post on Gamefaq that said one password lasts a month. What's that all about?

I'd assume you can use the same password again if you completely start a new game.

When you use a password, a swarm of a certain type of Pokemon will appear the next month. The month after that, it'll be gone.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I poked around, and the post-game episodes are basically like starting a new game again. But instead of playing as the hero/heroine of Aurora kingdom, you play as the warlord leader of another kingdom. You're given a few Pokemon/warriors to start with, and then you have to go conquer other kingdoms.

It's like the main episode and side episodes exist in alternate dimensions. The Pokemon/warriors you recruit during any episode get added to the Gallery, so you don't have to worry about running out of space.

Odd...I'm not sure I like this. If I spend 10+ hours training and getting my teams figured out, I don't like the idea of starting over with nothing as part of the "bonus content". :/

Blizzard

Banned
Forkball gave me his own impromptou review when I asked him. He should post it here!

Also each new review is trying to outdo the others with a lower score. :p GameSpot 65%: "Pokemon Conquest's fun setting and rewarding strategic elements are hampered by slow, overly simplistic combat."

That new game+ mode does sound a little odd. You keep a gallery of pokemon and warriors, but you can only use the limited set of new ones for playing through again?

My Amazon copy is shipping soon, finally, so next week I should get to play.

Odd...I'm not sure I like this. If I spend 10+ hours training and getting my teams figured out, I don't like the idea of starting over with nothing as part of the "bonus content". :/

They're "what if" scenarios, once you finish them you unlock that warlord for the main campaign.

Kazerei

Banned

You'll get to return to the main episode with all your teams intact ... after finishing all the side episodes. lolz

zroid

Banned
Yep, I picked girl on this one. Seems I'll have to do the same on Black 2, because the boy's hair is just... nope.

Got the last copy at bestbuy. It's fun so far, I'm just a few battles in but I'm going to dig this game. I am loving the art assets. The character artwork as well as the region and palace background paintings is just phenomenal. Awesome stuff.

Ultima_5

flowsnake

So uh.

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Several_new_Pokémon_Conquest_passwords_revealed

What the hell? No seriously, seriously?

That's a year and a fucking half, seriously.

The turns in the game are called months
img09-04.jpg

Kazerei

Banned
Good news, EuroGAF! Someone at GameFAQs says a US copy of the game is working in his EU 3DS. So it's probably the same situation as Pokemon B/W. JP game is region locked, yet US/EU games are unlocked.

Busaiku

Decided I didn't wanna wait forever for delivery and switched to store pickup instead.
Surprisingly, my Best Buy actually had a decent amount of copies.

Game is pretty boring too me, there's almost no strategy involved. Just bring the right pokemon for the fight and its pretty hard to lose.

I like the mystery dungeon pokemon games, should have used those as a jumping off point on how the pokemon should fight.

MLH

Good news, EuroGAF! Someone at GameFAQs says a US copy of the game is working in his EU 3DS. So it's probably the same situation as Pokemon B/W. JP game is region locked, yet US/EU games are unlocked.

That's good to hear, I'll pick it up tomorrow if it is not announced at the Nintendo Direct EU conference.

Kazerei

Banned
Okay, so the post-game really is more challenging. In the main story, the enemy teams are static, and I was only attacked once by a neighbouring kingdom. Now, the enemy teams gradually grow stronger, and those attacks are more frequent. So there's actually pressure to keep improving as efficiently as possible to stay ahead of your enemies.

There's also a new layer of depth, because you can improve a kingdom's locales by adding money to its bank. In the main story, I delegated almost everyone to training, and I basically only visited the item shop, ponigiri shop, and battles. And gold didn't seem to matter; I only bought a few evolution items, some super potions, and red ponigiri.

The main story just didn't demand any strategy with regards to managing your kingdoms. It was just too easy to grind a bit and fight the next kingdom. Now, you actually have to balance between training, developing so you can earn gold to buy stuff and to improve your kingdoms, and searching so you have more warriors to defend your turf. Gold mines and other special locations are worth visiting, but of course you have a limited number of actions per month, so you have to decide how to spend them.

It's certainly more interesting than the main story, but also a bit frustrating because luck is a factor. If you can recruit the right type of Pokemon early on, you can get a head start on your enemies and then just dominate. If not, it's a struggle to keep up.

Letep

Which DS are you guys playing this on? I ask because it wouldn't play on either my DSi or DSi XL (US release of the game, Japanese systems) so I'm playing on my US 3DS.

tuffy

The main story just didn't demand any strategy with regards to managing your kingdoms. It was just too easy to grind a bit and fight the next kingdom. Now, you actually have to balance between training, developing so you can earn gold to buy stuff and to improve your kingdoms, and searching so you have more warriors to defend your turf. Gold mines and other special locations are worth visiting, but of course you have a limited number of actions per month, so you have to decide how to spend them.
It sounds very much like the story mode is a training area for the full Nobunaga's Ambition experience in the postgame.

Kazerei

Banned
Which DS are you guys playing this on? I ask because it wouldn't play on either my DSi or DSi XL (US release of the game, Japanese systems) so I'm playing on my US 3DS.

I think this was the case with Pokemon B/W too. JP game doesn't work on NA/EU systems, and NA/EU game doesn't work on JP systems. But NA/EU games/systems are compatible with each other.

It sounds very much like the story mode is a training area for the full Nobunaga's Ambition experience in the postgame.

That's a good way to look at it. 10 hour tutorial for a 100 hour game!

Roto13

Picked this up today and played it a bit. Conquered the Fire and Grass kingdoms. So far so good. I need to figure out how to change my party members. :p

Gotta say, that's a really good OP. Lots of useful information with just a little fluff for garnish. ;P

XeroSauce

I got invaded!

I didn't see it coming. The flying kingdom attacking one of mine and I had only fighting types in there in preperation for a kingdom battle...that didn't end well.

This was in my first playthrough. Cool that they threw that in there, I'd only got invaded once before and that was scripted.

Shahadan

Finished the main story an hour ago and tried the side stories. At first I thought "only 8?" and then I completed one :lol:

Looks like I know what to do of my summer.

Blizzard

Banned
Finished the main story an hour ago and tried the side stories. At first I thought "only 8?" and then I completed one :lol:

Looks like I know what to do of my summer.
One of the reviews mentioned 30 side missions in addition to the free DLC that's supposed to come eventually. Do the 30 missions make up the 8 stories, or is that something different?

Shahadan

One of the reviews mentioned 30 side missions in addition to the free DLC that's supposed to come eventually. Do the 30 missions make up the 8 stories, or is that something different?

I guess those 30 missions are 30 stories. I have now 4 screens/pages full of side stories.

Some are shorter (ie you're restricted to 4 kingdoms) than others though.

I'm 4 hours in and I love this game. This is the ultimate gateway to learning how to play Nobunaga's Ambition.

Adding the pokemon collecting, evolving & fighting stuff really just makes the whole thing perfect.
Hope many many folks pick this up.

Blizzard

Banned
Machinima review: 90%

A breath of fresh air into the somewhat stale Pokemon series. Creating a strategy game that is both accessible for newcomers and deep for veterans is quite a feat, and this game has done just that.

It sounds like overall, it's a solid 8/10 game, for a very strange sort of mashup that no one probably expected. What I'm really hoping is that it will be successful enough that a sequel might come out, polishing the weak areas (maybe fixing anything that is tedious, and adding more depth to the pokemon/in-battle strategy). It seems to me like such a sequel might really be great.

But of course I'm still waiting on Amazon to ship, so I'm having to observe everything from the outside. =P

Kazerei

Banned

At first, only 8 stories are available. As you finish them, more stories unlock. There are 33 stories in total.

Teknoman

So then, is it only good to send out all your warlords during a big battle, and spread them out to different locations when training?

Furthermore, how is someone confused by how Pokemon show up in another era? Thats just like being confused as to how people back in the medieval days had horses, or dogs were around even further back.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, the first playthrough is the main story, and then there are 33 more stories after that.

Some stories are pretty short, but some are just as long as the main story.
Whoa, that's a lot.

Amazon finally shipped, so I should have the game by Wednesday.

massoluk

Banned
If I failed to recruit some dudes in the already conquered kingdom's cave thing, he or she will still show up again right?

lingiii

Banned
If I failed to recruit some dudes in the already conquered kingdom's cave thing, he or she will still show up again right?

As far as I can tell, the warlords are generic except where their little icon on the world map is yellow. If you miss a guy or gal, they'll show up again in a couple months probably.

For me, I have like 3 or 4 of the worry-wort portrait dude, each with a different type affinity.

Loving this so far. The battles are kind of simplistic with only one attack slot for each pokeman, but I really like that all of the castle battles add some kind of gimmick, and the way they layer in more and more types introduces more and more attack patterns, which lets you diversify your strategy a little bit.

As soon as a got a couple psychics, for instance, I accidentally started a battle with 3 slots of confusion, 2 slots of ember, and Eevee, so I had 1 "melee" attacker. Realized you have to consider more than just type advantages when putting a team together.

Forkball

Yes, all warriors show up again if you don't capture them. Even warlords you kick from your army show up in the field again.

Roto13

I used the Sneasel password in the OP and Beldum appeared.

EDIT: And Riolu appeared when I used the Scyther password.

EDIT 2: And the Riolu password brought Scyther. :p

Kazerei

Banned
I used the Sneasel password in the OP and Beldum appeared.

EDIT: And Riolu appeared when I used the Scyther password.

EDIT 2: And the Riolu password brought Scyther. :p

My bad :X

A bunch were from GameStop, but I didn't know which was which. I think it's fixed now.

Top Bottom