• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Conquest |OT| Gotta conquer 'em all

Roto13

How/why did you spent 30 hours on the main story? Most people seem to be finishing it in 10-15 hours max.

And just in case you grinded until your warlords had awesome pokemon, then according to that Amazon review thing, they should end up with the same pokemon in the postgame missions. That may be bad for some people, but in your case it might be good if you already had good pokemon attached to each warlord.

Side note, for that mission saying to
collect 100 pokemon
, I'm not there yet, but would it mess you up if you had lots of pokemon attached to warlords in the main game? If you recruit a warlord with say, snorlax, but in your main game you attached a magikarp to that warlord, does the snorlax count towards the mission total, and/or get added to your pokedex captured total, even if the snorlax instantly gets replaced by a magikarp? (assuming I'm understanding the review correctly)

It's 100 individual Pokemon at one time, across all warlords and warriors in your army. You're allowed duplicates. So it doesn't matter if it's a Snorlax or a Magikarp.

Blizzard

Banned
And I'm pretty sure all Link Percentages reset every time you switch stories. The only things that carry over are what Pokémon every character owns and whether they are evolved or not. Which is why I'm spending so much time in Hideyoshi's story trying to evolve as many Warlords as possible.
Thanks again for the answers, everyone. Hideyoshi's story...that's not the main story, is it? And in that case, does that mean you verified for sure that changing a warrior (non-special warlord)'s pokemon/evolved state in one postgame story will carry on to another postgame story?

If so, I think that's not too bad, since that presumably means you can't screw yourself over with bad pokemon choices, but can instead swap associated warrior pokemon even in the postgame. Unless there are some unique pokemon for minor warriors that you can't get any other way, but hopefully that's not the case.

massoluk

Banned
I got defeated so much, repeatedly, that the snack lady took pity on me and give me purple snack thing that max all my pokemon's energy... I want to cry. I brought shame to GAF.

Blizzard

Banned
I got defeated so much, repeatedly, that the snack lady took pity on me and give me purple snack thing that max all my pokemon's energy... I want to cry. I brought shame to GAF.
Hahaha...aww. At least you got a snack! I'm guessing this was a postgame story?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So there's really no way to effectively level up in this game outside of story battles, is there?

One pokemon at a time against a type hes strong against usually net me somewhere between 1%-3% link when I needed to grind a couple guys up to the level of my other guys in the main story. I only needed to do it twice so Im not sure how viable it is in the long run.

Roto13

So there's really no way to effectively level up in this game outside of story battles, is there?

Bring fewer Pokemon into battle, apparently. You can also make the random battles harder/more rewarding in the post game.

You don't really need to grind a whole lot in the main game, though, if you're taking advantage of types. I didn't even evolve my Eevee and I used it in almost every battle.

lingiii

Banned

Delegating "training" works surprisingly well as long as you're not relying on it happening right away. I usually leave some knuckleheads behind and then go collect them up to harvest some evolutions every now-and-again.

Getting killing blows in training missions gives more experiences than not; bring fewer 'mans than you're up against and try to emphasize one or two of them getting killing blows.

It is kinda frustrating how hard it is to catch someone up though :/.

balddemon

Banned
i can't find anyone with a starly/staravia with a link max of higher than 44%. the dude i have now has a staraptor at 52% which is maxed, but i don't like brave bird. rather have staravia with wing attack.

also can't find any warriors with normal or flying or both types :(

lingiii

Banned
i can't find anyone with a starly/staravia with a link max of higher than 44%. the dude i have now has a staraptor at 52% which is maxed, but i don't like brave bird. rather have staravia with wing attack.

also can't find any warriors with normal or flying or both types :(

Here's a source for all warlord leaders, also has standard warriors, too. . One of these guys goes all the way with Starly/Staravia/Staraptor.

Kinda kills the fun to look it up, and the table isn't searchable because the types are posted as images.

One pokemon at a time against a type hes strong against usually net me somewhere between 1%-3% link when I needed to grind a couple guys up to the level of my other guys in the main story. I only needed to do it twice so Im not sure how viable it is in the long run.

Thanks - I just wanted to evolve my Piplup before fighting Shingen.

Rarutos

Blizzard said:
Thanks again for the answers, everyone. Hideyoshi's story...that's not the main story, is it? And in that case, does that mean you verified for sure that changing a warrior (non-special warlord)'s pokemon/evolved state in one postgame story will carry on to another postgame story?

If so, I think that's not too bad, since that presumably means you can't screw yourself over with bad pokemon choices, but can instead swap associated warrior pokemon even in the postgame. Unless there are some unique pokemon for minor warriors that you can't get any other way, but hopefully that's not the case.
Nope, it's not the main story. I haven't verified it myself yet, but I am just about done grinding. So I will let you guys know if what I say is true once I start up another story. I'm pretty sure it is though.

When you find get a traveling merchant visiting you, buy a Guardian Charm (10,000 gold). Then just equip it and solo with the Pokémon who's link you want to raise on maps with 4+ Wild Mons/Warriors. The more Mons to beat up, the better. I usually get ~5% every time.

You could try doing it without the Guardian Charm, but it's a lot easier with it since it raises Attack, Defense, and Range automatically when you only have one member in your party in battle.

Oh wait, you're still early in the game. Whoops! Well, it's a good tip for others too at least. :)

Laocoon said:
Here's a source for all warlord leaders, also has standard warriors, too. . One of these guys goes all the way with Starly/Staravia/Staraptor.

Kinda kills the fun to look it up, and the table isn't searchable because the types are posted as images.

Here's one where you can search via Pokémon!

Oh yes, one last tip. Wild Mons and Warriors you haven't recruited yet seem to scale up with higher link levels. So if you want to save time grinding/evolving, send your strongest person possible to help Link with Mons or recruit warriors (It won't work with warriors you've dismissed already). I think it averages out between all the characters you bring, but I'm not certain. My Motochika is at 100% Link with his Samurott, and I brought him in to help someone catch another Mon, and I think they wounded up with a 63% link to start. I forget what that warrior's link was, maybe around 40?

Blizzard

Banned
After 1.5 hours, I have three kingdoms and will go for the water kingdom next. I'm guessing they will start letting me catch wild pokemon once I have captured that kingdom.

One mild piece of strategy that I noticed I had to watch out for is that certain pokemon are apparently ranged-only, like charmander. If I moved myself into a corner, even against two very weak pokemon, I assume I would be guaranteed to lose once surrounded since I wouldn't be able to get the distance to attack.

Something that should have perhaps been obvious to me but I didn't realize it until today: You can move your pokemon in whatever order you want. You don't have to follow the default order. This is presumably helpful if you want to have a weak warlord/pokemon get the finishing blow on something.

I like the default martial music(s). :)

Roto13

Something that should have perhaps been obvious to me but I didn't realize it until today: You can move your pokemon in whatever order you want. You don't have to follow the default order. This is presumably helpful if you want to have a weak warlord/pokemon get the finishing blow on something.

I like the default martial music(s). :)

Or you want to move a Pokemon out of the way to get another one into position to attack. Or you want to get a Pokemon out of the range of friendly fire. Or you want to pick up an item before ending a match.

There are tons of reasons to move Pokemon in different orders. :p

Rarutos

I beat Hideyoshi's story and did Mitsuhide's and yes, ALL Link Percentages are reset, but all evolutions and Pokémon owned are kept by their respective Warriors.

Blizzard

Banned
I beat Hideyoshi's story and did Mitsuhide's and yes, ALL Link Percentages are reset, but all evolutions and Pokémon owned are kept by their respective Warriors.
Thanks for doing the time-consuming research for us! So then to conclude:

1. I assume there are multiple generic warriors with the same portrait, but different names. Each of those particular names will end up associated with the same pokemon in the next story, correct? But they could be two different names, but the same portrait, and two different associated pokemon?

2. Can you change which pokemon one of those warriors has in one postgame story, thus ensuring that all future postgame stories have the new pokemon associated with that particular warrior?

Rarutos

Thanks for doing the time-consuming research for us! So then to conclude:

1. I assume there are multiple generic warriors with the same portrait, but different names. Each of those particular names will end up associated with the same pokemon in the next story, correct? But they could be two different names, but the same portrait, and two different associated pokemon?

2. Can you change which pokemon one of those warriors has in one postgame story, thus ensuring that all future postgame stories have the new pokemon associated with that particular warrior?

1) All generic Warriors are actually individuals, so they will keep whatever Pokémon they have after the main story. So no worries.

2) Uhh, I'm not sure if I understand the question, but if you mean which Pokémon they use before you recruit them, it wouldn't really matter because sometimes they even use something they didn't have. But once you recruit them they will just have their old teams. It kind of sucks sometimes because a character I recruited from the main story had a Larvesta, but when I recruited him he had his Pokémon I left him off with.

Hope that helps!

Blizzard

Banned
1) All generic Warriors are actually individuals, so they will keep whatever Pokémon they have after the main story. So no worries.

2) Uhh, I'm not sure if I understand the question, but if you mean which Pokémon they use before you recruit them, it wouldn't really matter because sometimes they even use something they didn't have. But once you recruit them they will just have their old teams. It kind of sucks sometimes because a character I recruited from the main story had a Larvesta, but when I recruited him he had his Pokémon I left him off with.

Hope that helps!
What I mean is, a specific portrait can be the same for two different warriors, right? And those are two different individuals? I'm pretty sure this is the case but wanted to make sure since I saw the same portrait show up after I already recruited one warrior.

And for #2, I know that they have the pokemon from the main story, which is why I was asking about this...that's a big complaint from the Amazon review about the postgame. What I mean is, is it possible to then GIVE that guy a Larvesta by catching a wild one or whatever (I don't actually know how this works since I only have 3 kingdoms or so), and then the next time you see him in another postgame story, you'll actually get a Larvesta that time too?

Rarutos

What I mean is, a specific portrait can be the same for two different warriors, right? And those are two different individuals? I'm pretty sure this is the case but wanted to make sure since I saw the same portrait show up after I already recruited one warrior.

And for #2, I know that they have the pokemon from the main story, which is why I was asking about this...that's a big complaint from the Amazon review about the postgame. What I mean is, is it possible to then GIVE that guy a Larvesta by catching a wild one or whatever (I don't actually know how this works since I only have 3 kingdoms or so), and then the next time you see him in another postgame story, you'll actually get a Larvesta that time too?

Yes, they are individuals. Every Warrior has their own Best Links and traits, even if they have the same portrait.

Yes, you can keep the Larvesta if you caught it in the main story and got the Warrior again in the second.

Blizzard

Banned
Yes, they are individuals. Every Warrior has their own Best Links and traits, even if they have the same portrait.

Yes, you can keep the Larvesta if you caught it in the main story and got the Warrior again in the second.
I promise I'm going to stop spamming the thread about this, lol...hopefully this is the final clarification:

What I mean is, is it possible to catch a Larvesta AFTER the main story. Say in the main story, the warrior had a Munchlax. You see him again in a postgame story, you fight him, and he uses say, Larvesta against you. You recruit him, and he still has the Munchlax.

BUT, is it possible to then catch a NEW Larvesta in a postgame story, assign it to that warrior, replace the Munchlax, and have Larvesta assigned to that warrior for all future stories? Meaning that your poor Munchlax decision from the main game could be "corrected" so you're not locked into it?

Rarutos

I promise I'm going to stop spamming the thread about this, lol...hopefully this is the final clarification:

What I mean is, is it possible to catch a Larvesta AFTER the main story. Say in the main story, the warrior had a Munchlax. You see him again in a postgame story, you fight him, and he uses say, Larvesta against you. You recruit him, and he still has the Munchlax.

BUT, is it possible to then catch a NEW Larvesta, assign it to that warrior, replace the Munchlax, and have Larvesta assigned to that warrior for all future stories? Meaning that your poor Munchlax decision from the main game could be "corrected" so you're not locked into it?

Oh, yes of course. Sorry, I just found it a bit difficult to understand your posts. Any progress you make in the post game stories in terms of evolution and capture are of course going to stay in the next stories you play, no worries.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh, yes of course. Sorry, I just found it a bit difficult to understand your posts. Any progress you make in the post game stories in terms of evolution and capture are of course going to stay in the next stories you play, no worries.
I'm sorry since I might have used confusing language when I tried to make it very specific.

So, for anyone else who is wondering, you can apparently "fix" your warriors even if you make a mistake in the main story. You're not stuck with the main story pokemon forever for those particular warriors, so that's good news. =)

Soloist

Neo Member
The MC's post-game episode was slightly underwhelming. It's just like the other episodes.

Nothing extra from the main story is carried over.

balddemon

Banned
so i finally figured out how to recruit warlords

you just have to kill them with a warlord of your own! now i finally have that guy with starly lol

or do you just need them in your party? either way idc i figured it out

Soloist

Neo Member
Aww, sad. I guess only associated warrior pokemon carry over between stories then. So have you 100%'d the game and caught 'em all now? How many hours did it take to finish all the postgame stories?

Oh, you only need to complete the 33 episodes to unlock the last one. You can't link with all the pokemon w/o the last episode anyways(
Arceus and Rayquaza
). It took me 80 hours(+ unrecorded hours resetting) to finish the every episode/main story. I only grinded during hideyoshi's chapter to evolve the fire/water/grass warlords and pokemon. The guardian charm really breaks the game as it lets you conquer multiple kingdoms in a single month.

The month mechanic is fucking with my head. I feel like there is a time limit or that i will miss things if i waste moves. I am wrong right? I can try to level up and conquer as a i please without screwing myself over?

SaberVulcan

Got this game today. Played until the point that my hands fell asleep, which hasnt happened since like Pokemon Gold on my Gameboy Color. This is a problem.

Question GAF. Been playing and grinding for about ten hours so far, on the psychic and fire kingdom (sorry forgot their names) and I've been wondering, is there something special you have to do to earn the leaders of the kingdoms? I have the electric kingdom girl (one with Luxio or something) but any of the other ones I have yet to get, even if I destroyed them in like three turns. Hopefully you can get them later because that would suck if I've been doing something wrong this whole time.

Blizzard

Banned
Question GAF. Been playing and grinding for about ten hours so far, on the psychic and fire kingdom (sorry forgot their names) and I've been wondering, is there something special you have to do to earn the leaders of the kingdoms? I have the electric kingdom girl (one with Luxio or something) but any of the other ones I have yet to get, even if I destroyed them in like three turns. Hopefully you can get them later because that would suck if I've been doing something wrong this whole time.
I haven't gotten there myself, but as far as I can tell from people posting earlier, you need to
use a main warlord (but whether they have to have the finishing blow or are just in the battle I don't know)
in order to recruit special warlords like that.

Rarutos

You do have to defeat them with a Warlord. Just bringing one in won't cut it. Some Warlords won't join you at all in the main story though, just so you know.

Teknoman

When you delegate someone to train, if you've already used all the people in that specific castle's turn, do they still get whatever bonuses training brings, or is that only for people who havent used their turns?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
beat the main storyline, and i had a bit more trouble than i was expecting, but the main grab was the bad ass final boss theme. damn. i think most of the reason i was on the board for so long was because i was listening to it...

Looks really fun. I love Advance Wars and Shadow Wars, so I think I'll have a great time with it. It's not only coming out in UK, by the way, but the entire Europe.

What does DSi-enhanced mean, by the way? I have a Nintendo DSi, but how is it better to play on that system? Better FPS and perhaps more clear graphics? Shorter loading screens? Anyone know?

Angel Gamer

Neo Member
I want to evolve my Eevee into an Espeon. I know I need to battle with it in Illusio but I'm wondering if there's a certain amount of fights or a number of enemies it needs to beat or a link level it should be at before I even bother?

Top Bottom