• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Conquest |OT| Gotta conquer 'em all

Forkball

Does the AI cheat in this game as blatantly as the AI in Final Fantasy Tactics and other similar games?

Or does it throw any insane challenges where you fight a level 100 megaboss with an 80% accuracy OHKO move at level 60?

It doesn't cheat, but some of the stages are designed so the enemy team has advantages. The gimmicks of the stages are sometimes not explained until the enemy team takes advantage of it. You just have to figure out how to use it against them. However, I have noticed the typical RPG broken accuracy calculator where your move has a 95% chance to hit but misses four times in a row.

It doesn't cheat, but some of the stages are designed so the enemy team has advantages. The gimmicks of the stages are sometimes not explained until the enemy team takes advantage of it. You just have to figure out how to use it against them. However, I have noticed the typical RPG broken accuracy calculator where your move has a 95% chance to hit but misses four times in a row.

As long as it functions like this for the enemy I am fine, however typically anything with 5% accuracy or more will hit the majority of the time for the AI. Including status condition moves, and OHKO moves.

Blizzard

Banned
Well thanks for the clarification. I wonder if you'd be able to say, use a Mewtwo off of some warlord if you didn't have him recruited in the main story with a Magikarp instead.

Barring that, I guess I'll just need to try to make sure each warlord has decent pokemon ith a variety of types. It sounds like a negative but not a complete game-breaker for me. That review basically says don't play the last mainline mission, doesn't it? But, you have to finish the main mission to play all the postgame missions, correct? So, I plan to finish it and play all the postgame missions regardless.

As long as it functions like this for the enemy I am fine, however typically anything with 5% accuracy or more will hit the majority of the time for the AI. Including status condition moves, and OHKO moves.
Are you saying this is true for Pokemon Conquest, or just saying in general it's true for stuff like FFTA?

Roto13

Ok, I'm sick of getting attacked two or three times per enemy turn. Especially since I only have one team worth anything. I just had to dismiss eight warriors because they lost battles and had nowhere to go.

Shahadan

How do I evolve Pichu and other pokemon who usually evolve with love? I'm guessing it has something to do with Energy but I'm not sure.

Forkball

Ok, I'm sick of getting attacked two or three times per enemy turn. Especially since I only have one team worth anything. I just had to dismiss eight warriors because they lost battles and had nowhere to go.

If your kingdom gets invade, as long as you survive past the turn count, you will win. This is very possible in banner battles, since enemies will almost always stay at the banner once they capture it. Masamune invaded one of my castles and I only had about three or four weak guys. There was no way I could defeat them all, but I managed to hold on past the turn limit and they retreated.

Roto13

If your kingdom gets invade, as long as you survive past the turn count, you will win. This is very possible in banner battles, since enemies will almost always stay at the banner once they capture it. Masamune invaded one of my castles and I only had about three or four weak guys. There was no way I could defeat them all, but I managed to hold on past the turn limit and they retreated.

Wow, that's really good to know. :p I can probably wait them out.

This changes everything! GREAT to hear.

Forkball

So I beat the main story, it took me about 15 hours, which is longer than most people reported. I can see people finishing it earlier though if they train their Pokemon quick enough. The game is great, and it actually manages to be pretty challenging late in the game. The final battle is both difficult and epic from a story perspective. I may be biased about the game though, since I'm a big Pokemon fan and love reading about the Sengoku era of Japan, so to smash them together in a SRPG smore is mega-fanservice for me. There are so many amazing touches that people who aren't familiar with this part of Japanese history would completely miss, like Hideyoshi's starter being Chimchar (his nickname was "monkey" in real life), Tokugawa having a steel-themed level (he was known for his perseverance), Mitsuhide having ice pokemon (in history, Mitsuhide betrayed Nobunaga... who has dragon pokemon in this game. What type is super effective against dragon again?) etc. I can't wait to tackle these other stories.

... I may be biased about the game though, since I'm a big Pokemon fan and love reading about the Sengoku era of Japan, so to smash them together in a SRPG smore is mega-fanservice for me. There are so many amazing touches that people who aren't familiar with this part of Japanese history would completely miss, like Hideyoshi's starter being Chimchar (his nickname was "monkey" in real life), Tokugawa having a steel-themed level (he was known for his perseverance), Mitsuhide having ice pokemon (in history, Mitsuhide betrayed Nobunaga... who has dragon pokemon in this game. What type is super effective against dragon again?) etc. I can't wait to tackle these other stories.

These are insights I hadn't picked up on, other than Hideyoshi. Mitsuhide and ice! I didn't even make the connection

Awesome stuff.

Those character pairings make me wonder what a Romance of the Three Kingdoms + Pokemon would be like

Does anyone have any good stratetgies for beating Mitsunari's Scizor? Even my Fire-type attacks do less than 1/8th of its health, and every turn I train it only gets stronger.

Does anyone have any good stratetgies for beating Mitsunari's Scizor? Even my Fire-type attacks do less than 1/8th of its health, and every turn I train it only gets stronger.

Let Him take over Greenleaf and challenge him there. If you can take the three banners you can defeat him without battling.

It's really hard to make Greenleaf the only kingdom he controls. Sooner or later, I'll have to fight him.

Eventually you should have some more dudes to stack against him. I don't know.
Share what you did to solve it though, because I'm in the same mission.

When are the next downloadable episodes coming? Are they going to stick them into Thursday updates?

Soloist

Neo Member

When I did this part, I barely passed by using dragon rage with a decoy. You could also try saving in the middle of battle.

Fortunately enough the 3/4 star missions are much easier.

Huzzah! I finally beat Kiyomasa's mission! I was able to defeat his Scizor by letting it take one of the flags in Greenleaf and then pelting him with Dragon Rage and Ember from either side. Since the AI won't move once it has a flag, I was able to attain flawless victory. I am NOT looking forward to the third mission in the sequence, though...

Blizzard

Banned
My copy from Amazon finally arrived today! I think I even had it preordered so that took a while. It just came in a yellow shipping thing and didn't even seem to have a packing slip.

Also, the manual has a type effectiveness chart for anyone who needed help with that. :p

Hopefully I can play an hour or two tonight!

lingiii

Banned
...Also, the manual has a type effectiveness chart for anyone who needed help with that. :p...

I flipped through to the chart and giggled. What do they think this is, my first rodeo?

I'm working on Ieyasu's first mission, the collect 100 'mans one. I think it'll be a nice long, easy one to build up my gallery in prepartion for some of the tougher ones.

Roto13

I flipped through to the chart and giggled. What do they think this is, my first rodeo?

I'm working on Ieyasu's first mission, the collect 100 'mans one. I think it'll be a nice long, easy one to build up my gallery in prepartion for some of the tougher ones.

That's the one where I'm being bukkakked with invasions. :/ The first time I've ever actually lost Pokemon, because I've lost kingdoms and suddenly not had enough room for all of my warriors.

I just finished playing through the main story and was only invaded once...

That's the one where I'm being bukkakked with invasions. :/ The first time I've ever actually lost Pokemon, because I've lost kingdoms and suddenly not had enough room for all of my warriors.

....oh. So I'm guessing the invasions are more frequent in the post-game episodes, then?

I beat the game earlier today and wiped the floor with Nobunaga. Glaceon + Beartic pretty much owned all the Dragon types, and then
in the second round, Gallade + Lucario along with Gurdurr and Arceus pretty much made the battle a piece of cake.
But I have to say, the prospect of starting over in new episodes back down at 10% links after spending nearly 30 hours on the main story kind of kills my enthusiasm to continue.

Blizzard

Banned

....oh. So I'm guessing the invasions are more frequent in the post-game episodes, then?

I beat the game earlier today and wiped the floor with Nobunaga. Glaceon + Beartic pretty much owned all the Dragon types, and then
in the second round, Gallade + Lucario along with Gurdurr and Arceus pretty much made the battle a piece of cake.
But I have to say, the prospect of starting over in new episodes back down at 10% links after spending nearly 30 hours on the main story kind of kills my enthusiasm to continue.
How/why did you spent 30 hours on the main story? Most people seem to be finishing it in 10-15 hours max.

And just in case you grinded until your warlords had awesome pokemon, then according to that Amazon review thing, they should end up with the same pokemon in the postgame missions. That may be bad for some people, but in your case it might be good if you already had good pokemon attached to each warlord.

Side note, for that mission saying to
collect 100 pokemon
, I'm not there yet, but would it mess you up if you had lots of pokemon attached to warlords in the main game? If you recruit a warlord with say, snorlax, but in your main game you attached a magikarp to that warlord, does the snorlax count towards the mission total, and/or get added to your pokedex captured total, even if the snorlax instantly gets replaced by a magikarp? (assuming I'm understanding the review correctly)

lingiii

Banned

[...]

Yup I've seen invasion activity kick way up. Brings some strategy into the world map; try to conquer kingdoms in such a way that you make bottlenecks, and manage your borders.

As for the starting back over, your evolutions carry over, so my 10% Charizard was whupping shit in the first one I did. If you went 30 hours I figure you've got a good number of evolved forms.

How/why did you spent 30 hours on the main story? Most people seem to be finishing it in 10-15 hours max.

And just in case you grinded until your warlords had awesome pokemon, then according to that Amazon review thing, they should end up with the same pokemon in the postgame missions. That may be bad for some people, but in your case it might be good if you already had good pokemon attached to each warlord.

Side note, for that mission saying to
collect 100 pokemon
, I'm not there yet, but would it mess you up if you had lots of pokemon attached to warlords in the main game? If you recruit a warlord with say, snorlax, but in your main game you attached a magikarp to that warlord, does the snorlax count towards the mission total, and/or get added to your pokedex captured total, even if the snorlax instantly gets replaced by a magikarp? (assuming I'm understanding the review correctly)

I'm pretty sure they give you the union? I can't remember, I haven't been super close attention because it's been moving at a good pace anyway. Primarily, there's a gang of 'mans that don't even appear until the post-game AND there's a bank in every castle, so you can upgrade your recruiting fields to have more/rarer 'mans.

I'm kind of OCD, and basically perfect links made me spend way more time with the minor warlords than other people, probably. By the time I took on Nobunaga, there were literally no more warlords spawning in any kingdom, only lone Pokemon. I'd recruited every minor warlord possible (over 80 total I think) and I probably got perfect links for about half of the warlords. The rest were at 70% (aka silver on the recruitment scale) or higher except for like one Gyarados and one Scyther that were >50% but they kicked too much ass to switch up.

I'm pretty sure they give you the union? I can't remember, I haven't been super close attention because it's been moving at a good pace anyway. Primarily, there's a gang of 'mans that don't even appear until the post-game AND there's a bank in every castle, so you can upgrade your recruiting fields to have more/rarer 'mans.

Does what you accomplish with the banks cross over between episodes? Because I'm doing the smaller episodes first and it doesn't seem like you make enough gold in one episode to make it worthwhile to level up anything.

Kazerei

Banned
It's probably not a bad idea to do all the grinding during the main story. It may take longer, but at least you can do it peacefully without worrying about getting invaded. That's kind of an annoying part of the post-game :\

Does what you accomplish with the banks cross over between episodes? Because I'm doing the smaller episodes first and it doesn't seem like you make enough gold in one episode to make it worthwhile to level up anything.

No, progress with banks doesn't carry over. However, when you recruit generic warriors, they should have the Pokemon and Link % you've accomplished. So you should be able to breeze through most of the stories.

Rarutos

So I found a Zorua... And of course Kotaro gets poisoned the first turn, and is on the side where every possible attack can get thrown at him, while the Zorua is running around in the very back of the stage watching and giggling as Kotaro's Deino gets killed by poisoned before he can even reach him. :l

I swear to god, every single move that can inflict a status effect on me does so probably 85% of the time and it's infuriating. Feels like I have the worst luck ever. ;_;

massoluk

Banned
I guess I just suck at Pokemon and tactics game. I'm getting slaughtered by Ujiyasu and his stupid rock boulder traps thing. Roggenrola is a god damn cheater with his rock blast.

zethren

Banned
I'm really curious about this game. I enjoy RPGs, I enjoy Pokemon, and I enjoy strategy. So this game seems right up my alley.

But I've always been wary of the non-mainline pokemon titles. Is that a misplaced worry in this case? I've been hearing nothing but great things and it seems to be selling out everywhere.

lingiii

Banned
I guess I just suck at Pokemon and tactics game. I'm getting slaughtered by Ujiyasu and his stupid rock boulder traps thing. Roggenrola is a god damn cheater with his rock blast.

Dunno what your team is like, but it might help on that one to not leave the little cage starting area. Let him come to you and you can control the 3 bottlenecks. Make sure to set a team with some melee and some ranged fighters, and with a little type advantage you should do alright.

I'm really curious about this game. I enjoy RPGs, I enjoy Pokemon, and I enjoy strategy. So this game seems right up my alley.

But I've always been wary of the non-mainline pokemon titles. Is that a misplaced worry in this case? I've been hearing nothing but great things and it seems to be selling out everywhere.

It's great! I know what you mean, I never even picked up one of those Mystery Dungeon games even though that kinda rogue-like dungeon-y thing is usually my jams. It's weird thinking if this is a "Pokemon" game or not. Obviously the type chart and characters carry right in which I like, and it feels similar in a lot of the grinding and designing teams and optimizing kinda stuff.

My only reservation in recommending it is it is a bit slow in the battles. Definitely great for having TV or podcasts or something in the background. Really gets that Civilization one-more-turn thing going on though.

This is the first non-mainline Pokemon game I've ever bought. I love SRPGs and if you're a fan of Pokemon and a fan of Tactics-style games, you'll enjoy this. I think the only thing that initially bothered me is that each Pokemon you use has a set attack move that you can't change or switch between. I'd like to have the option of at least two moves per Pokemon, but that becomes part of the strategy later.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I find it hilarious that there were such low shipments numbers for this game. It's basically impossible to find at Best Buy and Futureshop in Toronto, or even places like Game Centre and Amazon.ca. Will buy when I find it; Odd to say for a Pokemon game.

Blizzard

Banned
No, progress with banks doesn't carry over. However, when you recruit generic warriors, they should have the Pokemon and Link % you've accomplished. So you should be able to breeze through most of the stories.
Are you positive about the link%? The manual specifically mentions the link% being reset whenever you start a new story, unless that's only for the main character and important warlords.

However, as someone mentioned, evolutions should presumably stay the same, so if you recruit a generic warlord who had a charizard in the main game, they'd presumably have a charizard instead of whatever they showed up with in the postgame mission.

My own very brief impressions: I read through the manual last night, which was fairly well done since there is a lot of information to cover. I only played half an hour or so, but I really like the concept of the game. Most things seem pretty polished, and the idea seems very creative. If this game sells enough despite the shipping shortages, I feel like a sequel that fixes some of the problems (and adds wifi battling, not just local) could be truly outstanding.

Quick question about abilities. Do pokemon get 2-3 abilities when they level up, or are they purely replaced? Does jigglypuff get the sleep ability replaced by the ally-buffing ability, for instance? I feel like I'd prefer the sleep.

Kazerei

Banned
Are you positive about the link%? The manual specifically mentions the link% being reset whenever you start a new story, unless that's only for the main character and important warlords.

However, as someone mentioned, evolutions should presumably stay the same, so if you recruit a generic warlord who had a charizard in the main game, they'd presumably have a charizard instead of whatever they showed up with in the postgame mission.

My own very brief impressions: I read through the manual last night, which was fairly well done since there is a lot of information to cover. I only played half an hour or so, but I really like the concept of the game. Most things seem pretty polished, and the idea seems very creative. If this game sells enough despite the shipping shortages, I feel like a sequel that fixes some of the problems (and adds wifi battling, not just local) could be truly outstanding.

Quick question about abilities. Do pokemon get 2-3 abilities when they level up, or are they purely replaced? Does jigglypuff get the sleep ability replaced by the ally-buffing ability, for instance? I feel like I'd prefer the sleep.

Warlords are definitely reset, warriors seem to carry over.

Each Pokemon has just one ability and there's no choice in the matter. Each Pokemon type has a few different possible abilities, so you could encounter a Zubat with Inner Focus, and another Zubat with Sticky.

Blizzard

Banned
Hmm, this sounds like if you really hated a warrior's pokemon, you could cancel the story, go back to the main story, and release that warrior. Or are you completely unable to get back to the main story and change warriors once you finish it?

Are you able to play postgame stories before finishing the main story?

Can you play postgame stories more than once?

Kazerei said:
Each Pokemon has just one ability and there's no choice in the matter. Each Pokemon type has a few different possible abilities, so you could encounter a Zubat with Inner Focus, and another Zubat with Sticky.
What I mean is, jigglypuff has the sleep ability, but there are two other abilities on it that say they boost ally stats or whatever. Are all three of these active all the time?

Are there any cooldowns for abilities, or can you chainkill forever with eevee as long as you get finishing blows, for instance?

I also was almost sure that I was able to use my warrior ability twice in one battle, though I thought they told me it had a limit of once.

Kazerei

Banned
Hmm, this sounds like if you really hated a warrior's pokemon, you could cancel the story, go back to the main story, and release that warrior. Or are you completely unable to get back to the main story and change warriors once you finish it?

You can't go back to the main story, so make sure you're happy with your warriors before finishing it. They don't have to be super strong or anything, you can work on the easier post-game stories before moving on to the harder ones.

Are you able to play postgame stories before finishing the main story?

Can you play postgame stories more than once?

No, and yes.

What I mean is, jigglypuff has the sleep ability, but there are two other abilities on it that say they boost ally stats or whatever. Are all three of these active all the time?

No, each Pokemon only has one of the three possible abilities for its type. It's randomly assigned and won't change (except possibly with evolution).

You could have a Jigglypuff with Consideration, and another Jigglypuff with Humming, and another Jigglypuff with Mood Maker. You don't get to have one Pokemon with multiple abilities, ever.

Are there any cooldowns for abilities, or can you chainkill forever with eevee as long as you get finishing blows, for instance?

With Eevee, Celebrate will only activate once per turn, so no chain-killing. But it can activate it multiple times per battle.

SaberVulcan

This game doesnt have Sandslash, how lame.

Also, whats the deal with the Passwords? Can you actually only enter in 1 per-month, or can you just mess with the DS clock to get more? Gamestop has 5 for 1k point... things, and I have like 2.2k points but it seems annoying if I have to use em over 5 months or something.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
No, each Pokemon only has one of the three possible abilities for its type. It's randomly assigned and won't change (except possibly with evolution).

You could have a Jigglypuff with Consideration, and another Jigglypuff with Humming, and another Jigglypuff with Mood Maker. You don't get to have one Pokemon with multiple abilities, ever.

While they can't have multiple abilities at once, you can change abilities at a Hot Spring. It costs a fair bit of gold to do so, but you can switch your Jigglypuff to Mood Maker from Humming if you so wish.

Also, whats the deal with the Passwords? Can you actually only enter in 1 per-month, or can you just mess with the DS clock to get more? Gamestop has 5 for 1k point... things, and I have like 2.2k points but it seems annoying if I have to use em over 5 months or something.

The in game turns are called months.

Blizzard

Banned

A "month" is an ingame "turn".

You can't go back to the main story, so make sure you're happy with your warriors before finishing it.
Thanks, that's good to know. Imagine someone screwing themselves over by messing up all their random warriors with 3% link magikarps across the board, and the only solution being to completely erase their save file. :X What odd design.

While they can't have multiple abilities at once, you can change abilities at a Hot Spring. It costs a fair bit of gold to do so, but you can switch your Jigglypuff to Mood Maker from Humming if you so wish.
Hey that's neat!

Kazerei

Banned

Oops, I completely forgot about Hot Springs. I remember wanting to use one, but I didn't have enough gold. I should go back and check it out...

Not real-life months, in-game months. The way the game progresses, each turn is one month.

Don't bother buying the GameStop codes, they're already all over the internet.

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, one more option I didn't think of...what if a warrior has a terrible pokemon and link (3% magikarp) from your main game, and you encounter them in a postgame story. Can you change their pokemon and build a better link%, and have the new pokemon and link% associated with that particular warrior for OTHER postgame stories? Or is it all locked to the (inaccessible) main game story?

And last but not least, can you use a warlord ability more than once per battle or was I just imagining things? Thanks for all the help, everyone. :D

SaberVulcan

Ah okay thanks, makes more sense. Havent been able to find this at the local Best Buy (had gift card, so yeah) so I ordered it, should have by Monday. Game looks fun, and reading this topic makes it even more hyped.

Kazerei

Banned
Okay, one more option I didn't think of...what if a warrior has a terrible pokemon and link (3% magikarp) from your main game, and you encounter them in a postgame story. Can you change their pokemon and build a better link%, and have the new pokemon and link% associated with that particular warrior for OTHER postgame stories? Or is it all locked to the (inaccessible) main game story?

I can't confirm yet but I'm pretty sure that yes, training up a warrior in a post-game story carries over to other stories

And last but not least, can you use a warlord ability more than once per battle or was I just imagining things? Thanks for all the help, everyone. :D

No, I've never seen this happen.

Rarutos

You can change abilities with money in Mystery Springs when you develop enough places in certain kingdoms, like Valora.

And I'm pretty sure all Link Percentages reset every time you switch stories. The only things that carry over are what Pokémon every character owns and whether they are evolved or not. Which is why I'm spending so much time in Hideyoshi's story trying to evolve as many Warlords as possible.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize the Mystery Springs was said earlier. :x

Blizzard said:
I think there's a Pokémon ability where you can use Warlord abilities twice in one turn. Seems, Abra, Ralts, Kirlia, or Espeon can have it.

Top Bottom