• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Conquest |OT| Gotta conquer 'em all

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
My copy shipped from Amazon, but I only just now realized I had selected FS. And I don't have Prime.

See you guys in a week+, I guess.
iBVD6xPbv4rdL.png

Esura

Banned
I connected to my Wifi via the Wireless Play...There's an event you can DL that enables you to be able to befriend
Motochika & Motonori
. I don't know how it works yet, but I'm going to keep playing and see what happens.

I wonder how you get Ginchiyo the Shinx user. I beat her under four turns when I saw her again in a random battle but no dice. At least I have a Mareep.

MicH

There are quite a few sellers on Amazon UK listing the US version of the game as region-free. Has it ever been confirmed whether it's regionlocked or not?

cjkeats

There are quite a few sellers on Amazon UK listing the US version of the game as region-free. Has it ever been confirmed whether it's regionlocked or not?

Like the OP says, region free for DS, not DSi and 3DS due to the DSi enhanced features.

Blizzard

Banned
The review thread seems to be dead, so I'll drop the new reviews here:

CheatCodeCentral: 90
GamesRadar: 80
Digital Chumps: 76
Game Informer: 70 (the only review marked as "mixed" so far)

Overall average is from 9 reviews is 84. Game Informer's negatives include being disappointed in the lore (he wants to know how pokemon exist in another era), and they say that strategy in battle is limited to bringing a bunch of potions and the right type of pokemon rather than in-battle strategy.

Game Informer conclusion:
Pokémon Conquest takes the Pokémon you know and recognize (and love?) and places them into the world of tactical turn-based strategy with little kicking and screaming. Unfortunately, its simplicity will turn away tactical purists, and its complexity and management demands will turn off fans of the traditional Pokémon RPG.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Overall average is from 9 reviews is 84. Game Informer's negatives include being disappointed in the lore (he wants to know how pokemon exist in another era), and they say that strategy in battle is limited to bringing a bunch of potions and the right type of pokemon rather than in-battle strategy.

Game Informer conclusion:

To the first bold...Really? REALLY?

To the second bold...That's sort of what Pokemon is, though. It's knowing that a water type against a fire type will benefit you greatly. The strategy comes from making sure you have a balanced team and don't make any poor decisions on your moves. I DO wish that facing made a difference, though. I always try for back attacks and height advantage, even though it doesn't do anything.

Blizzard

Banned
To the first bold...Really? REALLY?

To the second bold...That's sort of what Pokemon is, though. It's knowing that a water type against a fire type will benefit you greatly. The strategy comes from making sure you have a balanced team and don't make any poor decisions on your moves. I DO wish that facing made a difference, though. I always try for back attacks and height advantage, even though it doesn't do anything.
Yeah, I thought it was a little funny, but I mentioned it since it's the lowest review.

Since facing and height doesn't make a difference, is there any sort of positional strategy, or is it purely a ranged versus melee attacking kind of thing and the team selection is basically where the strategy takes place?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, I thought it was a little funny, but I mentioned it since it's the lowest review.

Since facing and height doesn't make a difference, is there any sort of positional strategy, or is it purely a ranged versus melee attacking kind of thing and the team selection is basically where the strategy takes place?

Positional strategy is relatively non-existent in any form. I HAVE seen a few cases where my chance to hit has gone up depending on location, but I don't know if there were other factors in play. I'll have to test it more.

Team selection and synergy is definitely a majority of the strategy, though. I've gone 1v3 with my Onyx during training against fire types and come out just fine.

Kazerei

Banned
Facing DOES matter. Attacking from the back causes more damage than attacking from the side, which causes more damage than attacking from the front. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to set your Pokemon's facing at the end of a turn.

Height doesn't seem to matter, although if the height difference between two tiles is too large, you won't be able to move or attack across it. Pokemon with Levitate can move freely.

I disagree that positional strategy is non-existant. The battlefields are pretty small, and the Pokemon have different attack ranges. So it's important to position your Pokemon so they don't get in each other's way, and so that they don't hit each other.

Blizzard

Banned
Facing DOES matter. Attacking from the back causes more damage than attacking from the side, which causes more damage than attacking from the front. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to set your Pokemon's facing at the end of a turn.

Height doesn't seem to matter, although if the height difference between two tiles is too large, you won't be able to move or attack across it. Pokemon with Levitate can move freely.

I disagree that positional strategy is non-existant. The battlefields are pretty small, and the Pokemon have different attack ranges. So it's important to position your Pokemon so they don't get in each other's way, and so that they don't hit each other.
:O New information!

When you say so they don't hit each other, does that mean friendly fire is on, and some pokemon might use an AOE attack that would murder their compatriots if you didn't position them properly?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

This is true - that's what I was alluding to, but I meant positional strategy as in facing. Truthfully, I really haven't seen a huge difference in facing bonuses. I've seen my accuracy go from 95% to 100%, and I've seen maybe 2 damage difference? I thought it was just random spread...The game doesn't suggest or give hints that facing matters.

Also, why the shit would a strategy game that gives facing bonus NOT allow you to change your facing? My guess is that facing really doesn't matter OR it's a huge design flop on their end.

Kazerei

Banned
:O New information!

When you say so they don't hit each other, does that mean friendly fire is on, and some pokemon might use an AOE attack that would murder their compatriots if you didn't position them properly?

Yep, friendly fire is on. Some of the evolved Pokemon have pretty big AOEs too.

ue5Wk.jpg

Kazerei

Banned
This is true - that's what I was alluding to, but I meant positional strategy as in facing. Truthfully, I really haven't seen a huge difference in facing bonuses. I've seen my accuracy go from 95% to 100%, and I've seen maybe 2 damage difference? I thought it was just random spread...The game doesn't suggest or give hints that facing matters.

Also, why the shit would a strategy game that gives facing bonus NOT allow you to change your facing? My guess is that facing really doesn't matter OR it's a huge design flop on their end.

The damage difference between facing front/side/back seems to be something like 5%-10%. It's not huge, but it does help.

And yeah, it's really dumb that you can't change your Pokemon's facing :\

Zihark

My copy shipped from Amazon, but I only just now realized I had selected FS. And I don't have Prime.

See you guys in a week+, I guess.
iBVD6xPbv4rdL.png
Lucky, my copy was suppose to arrive on the 21st, but just got an email saying its been delayed till July 10-13th. Guess, I'll have to wait to conquer kingdoms- although it gives me more time to finish Devil Survivor 2 and new game plus on the game.

Kazerei

Banned
Ok finally was able to find the game. Just to be sure, can you get screwed out of recruiting warlords?

Doesn't seem like it. Some join automatically as the story progresses, most join after finishing special post-game episodes or wi-fi downloadable episodes.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How important are the time mechanics? I'm about half-way through year 2 and about to challenge the new kingdoms that opened up. But I'm worried that I'm going to miss some odd time sensitive event I spend too much time training in the future.

lingiii

Banned
Lucky, my copy was suppose to arrive on the 21st, but just got an email saying its been delayed till July 10-13th. Guess, I'll have to wait to conquer kingdoms- although it gives me more time to finish Devil Survivor 2 and new game plus on the game.

Got my Amazon email shipping on Prime.

Unfortunately, I know the UPS man's going to leave a note and come AFTER the weekend. I'm currently trying to psyche myself up enough to go drive out to the distribution plant in Bumblefuck, Nowhere.

ttocs

I wasn't even considering getting this because I thought it was just another Pokemon cash grab. It looks like I was wrong and I'll be picking it up after work. The reviews and gaf comments have me intrigued.

Jokey665

Game's a bunch of fun so far. I only have 4 castles but I'm spending time nabbing every trainer in sight and I've only had it for like 2 hours.

Hope the game gets harder because right now its insanely easy. Heard there more stuff like killing people in under like 4 turns and stuff. Just took over my 4th area and its been pretty easy so far.

massoluk

Banned
Hooray, Amazon's copy is out for delivery, should be waiting for me at home when I get back. LOL @ email from Amazon saying I saved $0.03 from Pre-order price guarantee.

Kazerei

Banned
How important are the time mechanics? I'm about half-way through year 2 and about to challenge the new kingdoms that opened up. But I'm worried that I'm going to miss some odd time sensitive event I spend too much time training in the future.

Doesn't seem to be important. Basically just a way to institute turn-based progress.

Hope the game gets harder because right now its insanely easy. Heard there more stuff like killing people in under like 4 turns and stuff. Just took over my 4th area and its been pretty easy so far.

There are three ways to recruit a warrior: by defeating him/her within four turns, using a supereffective move, or without taking any damage.

The game does get more challenging, sort of. It's probably more accurate to say the variety of Pokemon, warriors, and environments grows bigger, so there's more planning and thinking involved.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

The first couple of areas are easy. I can't comment on the rest of the game, but I would imagine it ramps up a little(?). Truth be told, I kind of enjoy the basic strategy elements it provides for now.

Blizzard

Banned
There's not much to compare it to, but I just noticed this game is #3 on the video games top sellers list for Amazon. And since the top two are Microsoft points, it's really the #1 game there.

Forkball

I don't get how to get my Pokemon energy up. Ponigiri shops bring it up a tick, but they typically go right back down after a turn, and since I can't use my Pokemon again that turn, it seems like a waste.

I love the soundtrack so far. Did Game Freak's usual composers do this (doesn't sound like it), or was it handled by Koei? Anyone know?

Ribbon

I can't find this game locally anywhere. I see a few other people are having trouble finding it, dangit North Dakota. Have to order it online.

Well I found it at the Kirkwood Target in Bismarck in case anybody else is in the area looking.

Cheska

Delivery estimate still says tomorrow but it hasn't even shipped yet, it's been "shipping soon" for two days. I'm starting to get worried now :(

EDIT: Just got shipment notification, phew!

XeroSauce

I don't get how to get my Pokemon energy up. Ponigiri shops bring it up a tick, but they typically go right back down after a turn, and since I can't use my Pokemon again that turn, it seems like a waste.

Only use Ponigiri on Pokemon that aren't going to be doing anything for awhile, but are needed for a later battle.

The Ponigiri is cheap (0 Zenny) so it doesn't increase the energy much, you will get options for better Ponigiri later.

Blizzard

Banned
Delivery estimate still says tomorrow but it hasn't even shipped yet, it's been "shipping soon" for two days. I'm starting to get worried now :(
I'd say to expect it next week. People were complaining on the Amazon page, and even Amazon has a note saying it may take a few days to process. Presumably they didn't get enough shipped units or something even though they claim they're instock, and knew how many preorders they were getting.

Ribbon

The game looks pretty good stretched on a 3ds. The type compatibility chart in the back of the manual is a nice touch also.

Kazerei

Banned
8.5 hours, 14 kingdoms conquered. The battle I just fought was tough. I used the map's "gimmick" to separate and pick off the enemies one by one. Finally I ganged up on the warlord leader, who managed to faint two of my Pokemon before I could defeat him. Feelsgood.

The game is certainly getting more challenging as it goes on, just got to the half way point where now I'm actually begun to the conflict with
Nobunaga

zroid

Banned
Also I noticed the b2w2 ad slip in the case for conquest. Getting that retail marketing push started early.

Pau

Managed to find a copy at Toys R' Us yesterday and have been playing any chance I get since. Just captured the sixth kingdom.

How are people going about recruiting warriors? Are you guys recruiting everyone you meet? I worry about there being a limit or will that not be a problem?

Just finished my 11th Kingdom. Had a little trouble with that one but once I swapped pokemon and figured out how the map's gimmicks worked, I beat it. I was surprised to see the pokemon,
Spiritomb
there. He made me rethink which pokemon to bring.

And right after I won, the next month, the enemy decided to go and conquer a Kingdom that was empty lol. They did so, but now they're at a disadvantage. They had 6 people in one Kingdom but then took 3 from there and conquered one of mine. Now they have 2 Kingdoms with 3 people each, which should be no problem with my team of 6.

The game does get a little harder but it just means you need to do a little more thinking.

epmode

I'm still debating whether or not I should open my copy. How does the difficulty compare to a typical Advance Wars or Fire Emblem? I know it's easier but I don't want brain-dead easy! Does it ever get reasonably challenging? Maybe in the postgame content?

Forkball

To get a kingdom warlord, you have to defeat them with the normal conditions, but the finishing blow has to come from a non-generic warrior such as the former leader of a kingdom. They reappear in the field after you fight them the first time (there will be a gold person icon), so don't worry about missing them.

Kazerei

Banned
16 of 17 kingdoms conquered in just under 10 hours. I'll probably have to grind for an hour or so before invading the final kingdom. I still haven't evolved my Eevee, but I'm leaning towards Glaceon right now...

16 of 17 kingdoms conquered in just under 10 hours. I'll probably have to grind for an hour or so before invading the final kingdom. I still haven't evolved my Eevee, but I'm leaning towards Glaceon right now...

Ahhhh, so it is an option. Only question I really had about the game. And how do you capture Pokemon??????

Otherwise, enjoying it in the small bits and pieces I have taken it in. 3 Kingdoms captured so far

Top Bottom