• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Conquest |OT| Gotta conquer 'em all

The Boat

Despite being a man myself, I've always played as a girl in Pokemon games when given the option. My reasoning is that the early games forced you to be a boy, and the male character usually has a silly looking hat, while the girl trainer has a better hat.

We finally found out who Gabe Newell is on GAF!

Really enjoying the game so far.

I checked Serebii's site and it seems you can't get Motochika or Motonari until you play through their own stories. Oh well.

In case no one knew, the first event for these 2 people are up for download through Nintendo WFC: http://www.pokemonconquest.com/en-us/episode

I downloaded it and continued the story and eventually was able to recruit them both.

Currently have 12 Warriors/Warlords to battle with. 6 Warriors/Warlords is the max you can have in each Kingdom. When you get more, you can place them in your other Kingdoms and have someone delegate (train to strengthen the bonds, search for allies/pokemon or develop by raising the energy of your pokemon as well as find gold). At the moment, I have 5 Kingdoms. About to work on my 6th Kingdom..that is..if I can tear myself away from trying to recruit other people lol.

bam1991dbz from GameFAQS posted the password you get from Nintendo World that unlocked Cinccino:

vVALFrGTXX

When you use a password, the next month, they'll tell you where that pokemon will be. You can ONLY catch that pokemon during that same month so they tell you to save before attempting. Once you save, you can't use that password anymore.

When I recruited some people, I didn't know some came with 2 pokemon. Found out by going into "Info" and scrolling through the list of people.

Each Warrior/Warlord can link with a certain number of pokemon. Some can only link with 2 and others can link with 7 (the highest I've seen so far). That's what "Capacity" means.

If I made any mistakes in this post, feel free to correct me. I'm still learning about the game lol.

Pepboy

I have a feeling the gameplay mechanics are pretty simple, but good strategy is still required. And there's probably enough variety to keep things interesting. For SRPG vets the main story will probably be easy, but hopefully the extra content will pose a challenge. The mainline Pokemon games are easy too, but still lots of fun IMO.

Any GAF first-hand impressions on difficulty level? e.g. Have you ever died/failed a battle and have to retry? I'll probably pick it up anyway but really don't want it to be braindead easy.

Maybe I'll have to impose some restrictions on myself, like if any pokemon ever faints, remove it from roster permanently.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm a little over 3 hours in and I've conquered 6 kingdoms. There's hardly any story, I just invade neighbouring kingdoms and win. I'm guessing the additional episodes will provide backstory and add alot more to the game's length.

But the game really is fun and addictive. The gameplay mechanics are simple, yet the battles demand good strategy (if you don't go in overleveled). Each stage has its own quirks to deal with too. And I still feel like there's a little more to the gameplay I haven't reached yet.

The game also has that "gotta catch 'em all" spirit to it. Each kingdom offers a small variety of Pokemon, so I feel compelled to keep checking each kingdom until I think I've collected all of its Pokemon.

One thing I dislike are the hidden traps I've encountered in 2 of the main story battles so far. It just causes minor annoyance without really contributing anything to the gameplay.

Also, the Warriors and Pokemon don't seem to be that well balanced. Some Warriors and Pokemon have better skills, moves and stats than others IMO. Of course, the mainline Pokemon games are pretty unbalanced too.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with this game so far. Seems to be a solid little SRPG that does honor to the Pokemon brand.

Any GAF first-hand impressions on difficulty level? e.g. Have you ever died/failed a battle and have to retry? I'll probably pick it up anyway but really don't want it to be braindead easy.

Maybe I'll have to impose some restrictions on myself, like if any pokemon ever faints, remove it from roster permanently.

I'm curious about this too.

I'm really interested in this game. I like SRPGs, but not RPGs. I'd be playing for strategy not for story. If the main game is easy, but you can have twenty hours of harder post-game content, that's all good with me.

Kazerei

Banned

Never lost a battle, but I did reset once because I felt I had screwed up and was in a bad position.

Oishi's skill lets you heal your entire team. I decided to let everyone get really low on HP before using the skill, and I also got a little too aggressive with Oishi's Jigglypuff. The CPU ganged up and scored a critical hit, and Jigglypuff fainted. I probably could have still won by pulling back and using potions, but whatever.

And on another occasion one of my other Pokemon fainted. Again, probably avoidable if I played more defensively, but that's just not my style :p

So it's about the same difficulty as the mainline Pokemon games. No danger of getting wiped out if you know what you're doing. Can add your own challenges to even things up.

I'm curious about this too.

I'm really interested in this game. I like SRPGs, but not RPGs. I'd be playing for strategy not for story. If the main game is easy, but you can have twenty hours of harder post-game content, that's all good with me.

It's interesting, I feel like the game is simple but not stupid. Good strategy does make a huge difference, it's not just walk up and attack. The additional episodes do sound like they're more challenging too.

It's interesting, I feel like the game is simple but not stupid. Good strategy does make a huge difference, it's not just walk up and attack. The additional episodes do sound like they're more challenging too.

Thanks for the impressions. I'm looking for a game for a July 4th cross-country flight, so I think I'll wait to see how people are digging the extra episodes.

Pepboy

So it's about the same difficulty as the mainline Pokemon games. No danger of getting wiped out if you know what you're doing. Can add your own challenges to even things up. [...]

Thanks for replying! This is what I was hoping for, will definitely give it a spin.

Alchemy

Thought the game was out today, so I walked into the local Gamestop (only game store on my route home from work) and asked if they had it in. They told me it came out tomorrow and they only had enough copies to cover their pre-orderes. While walking out of the store I ordered it online from Amazon on my phone. 2-4 weeks shipping, but fuck it I have other games to finish. Just wanted to pick it up in case of low shipping numbers and if the game became rare at all since its a weird Pokemon title to even have localized.

*This was when the game was around $30, think its about $35 with shipping.

Does anyone know if you can transfer Pokemon from this to Black/White/Other mainline games? The fact it only has one save file is troubling, my wife would like to play after me but she will need her own copy if it serves any secondary purpose for the main games. The Pokemon belong to me.

upandaway

Put down my delivery so it's a matter of time now. Gotta calm myself down.

Anyone knows how meaty it is? Will it last me till BW2? I'm starting to run out of portable games.

Pepboy

Does anyone know if you can transfer Pokemon from this to Black/White/Other mainline games?

Nothing I've read suggests this is possible, and I feel like they would have touted this feature. I could be wrong, though.

Anyone knows how meaty it is? Will it last me till BW2? I'm starting to run out of portable games.

Not sure if you saw Kazerei's impressions a few posts above, but it sounded reasonably meaty to me with the extra challenges and "catch them all" aspect.

Cheska

Is there some kind of hold up with Amazon and this game? My copy hasn't even shipped, and they're usually completely on top of new releases.

Busaiku

Is there some kind of hold up with Amazon and this game? My copy hasn't even shipped, and they're usually completely on top of new releases.

A bunch of places seem to be getting it late.
Best Buy says they don't even get it till next week.

Maybe it was a Gamestop week exclusive.

Cheska

That would be pretty sucky :( The $10 price difference isn't worth getting it from Gamestop though IMO. I'll just wait....and sulk.

Tyeforce

Anyone know what the multiplayer in this game is like? My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out if it's worth getting two copies or not... I know the game only has one save file, but he's not even sure if he wants to play it or not, and if the game has good multiplayer then that might push us over the edge.

hirokazu

How do the additional episodes work? Do I download from the eShop or something? Why not include them on the cart to begin with?

tuffy

The game might've gotten more orders from retailers than Nintendo was anticipating. That would explain the very uneven rollout to stores.

Picked up my copy yesterday and played a little bit. The game is fun so far. I am so glad that the game is DSi enhanced so I don't have to set up a separate access point to get the download missions.

Tom_Cody

Does this directly draw from any previous tecmo/koei series? People keep mentioning Nobunaga's Ambition, but this seems very different from what I know of that series (I've never played any of the Nobunaga games).

This seems to be a tactical SRPG, whereas I had thought that series was more grand scale strategy.

PK Gaming

Definitely getting this game, it looks awesome.

I got pretty lucky too, 4 out 6 of my favorite Pokemon got in.
(Raichu / Haxorus / Zoroark / Aggron)
Mew, Breloom :(
and their skillsets look awesome.

tuffy

Does this directly draw from any previous tecmo/koei series? People keep mentioning Nobunaga's Ambition, but this seems very different from what I know of that series (I've never played any of the Nobunaga games).

This seems to be a tactical SRPG, whereas I had thought that series was more grand scale strategy.
Although I haven't played Nobunaga's Ambition since the NES days, this seems to have a lot of the same spirit.
  • instead of having generals on the field with up to 100 troops each, you've got pokemon with X number of HP each
  • instead of having generals search for new generals to recruit, your generals are hunting for wild pokemon
  • defeating the enemy gives the option of capturing enemy generals to recruit
  • instead of having a big battle map of the whole province, you've got a more zoomed-in FFTA-style arena to fight in
  • a lot of the provincial micromanagement has been reduced
So although it doesn't look like a Nobunaga's Ambition game, a lot of the same mechanics are there.

emb

Does any one happen to know if the R button is very important in this game? Just curious, since the one in my DSi is messed up.

Called 5 stores, walmart, target, best buy, and 2 gamestops. None of them have it in stock or are 'waiting for our shipment' D: nooooooooo! Orlando FL how is it no one got this game.

Kazerei

Banned
Does any one happen to know if the R button is very important in this game? Just curious, since the one in my DSi is messed up.

The shoulder buttons are used to cycle through kingdoms (on the map screen), cycle through Pokemon (in battle), and cycle through tabs (on menus). You could basically press the L button multiple times instead of the R button.

balddemon

Banned
damn i forgot to head to gamestop when i was out this morning. i guess i have to go since i have nothing to do while blizzard patches diablo T_T

Blizzard

Banned
Called 5 stores, walmart, target, best buy, and 2 gamestops. None of them have it in stock or are 'waiting for our shipment' D: nooooooooo! Orlando FL how is it no one got this game.
I'm guessing that it hasn't been advertised and no one expected people to be intererested, so there aren't very many copies around. I'm hoping Amazon ships by this weekend or something.

Tom_Cody

Although I haven't played Nobunaga's Ambition since the NES days, this seems to have a lot of the same spirit.
  • instead of having generals on the field with up to 100 troops each, you've got pokemon with X number of HP each
  • instead of having generals search for new generals to recruit, your generals are hunting for wild pokemon
  • defeating the enemy gives the option of capturing enemy generals to recruit
  • instead of having a big battle map of the whole province, you've got a more zoomed-in FFTA-style arena to fight in
  • a lot of the provincial micromanagement has been reduced
So although it doesn't look like a Nobunaga's Ambition game, a lot of the same mechanics are there.
Ok.

I hope someone writes an article about this. I would really like to read a detailed comparison between the two series.

Kazerei

Banned
My main character just evolved for the first time, yay.
I wasn't able to recruit anyone from the invading Illusio kingdom though. They all retreated back to their own kingdom. I'm guessing I'll be able to on the next battle?

zroid

Banned
YAWS, I got it! Gotta love Future Shop trade 1 offers.

Bye FFXIII-2, and good riddance
until you're inevitably $10 or less, when I will re-buy you

balddemon

Banned
wow. so i called my 2 gamestops and 1 only had the game for preorders, and the other only had 1 copy left. grabbed that , then came home and see the d3 patch is done. sorry pokemon.

Blizzard

Banned
If I get this, this will be my first Pokemon game; is this a wise choice?
Depends what you like! If you like strategy games that aren't too difficult, and collect-them-all stuff, it might be fine. The reviews should give you a good idea what to expect (there's a reviews thread for conquest lurking around).

If you prefer a pure overhead RPG with turn-based RPG combat instead of FFTA overhead combat, or if you want to see what "classic" pokemon is like, I'd recommend pokemon black or white instead.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Thanks for the awesome OP, you inspired me to buy the game this week.

I didn't even consider buying the game until I saw this thread 1 hour ago.

Kazerei

Banned
4 hours 20 minutes in, and I've got 9 kingdoms under my control. Feels good. Looks like it'll get a bit harder from here on.

My kingdoms are near capacity with Warriors ... I know each Warrior can link with multiple Pokemon, but I've been recruiting every Warrior with a new Pokemon I can find. This is probably a bad habit :\

XeroSauce

4 hours 20 minutes in, and I've got 9 kingdoms under my control. Feels good. Looks like it'll get a bit harder from here on.

My kingdoms are near capacity with Warriors ... I know each Warrior can link with multiple Pokemon, but I've been recruiting every Warrior with a new Pokemon I can find. This is probably a bad habit :\

Damn...I'm 8 hours in and at the same point as you. I have a set of "fighter" Warlords and Warriors I march all over the map for almost every fight, and then all my other Warriors doing delegated work or mining, or summoning other Warriors.

I'm spending so much time with each individual nation/warrior...the amount of micromanagement is surprising. Attuning multiple Pokemon to each Warrior's best type and abilities..man.

How many turns are you in? I'm at January Year 3.

So how do you get the special generals on your team? Also is there anything in general to make sure I know before starting the game?

Blizzard

Banned
So how do you get the special generals on your team? Also is there anything in general to make sure I know before starting the game?
I'm also curious about this, like if there's anything super important that I might miss for 100%'ing with the single save slot and so forth.

Also for those who have played 4-8 hours, what do you think of the game so far?

Top Bottom