• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
29117968151_303d43dd86_z.jpg

Candela, you're too kind *blush*

KingBroly

Banned
The most evolved Pokemon I've seen in the wild was a 159 Vileplume. And it was the only Stage 2 Pokemon I've seen. I rarely see Stage 1's. I've only seen TWO Charmanders. My area sucks ;_;

EDIT - I think if you look at a Gym and see a Pokemon you don't have, it should add it to your Pokedex, but grayed out.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't get how people have seen so many Drowzee. I have only seen 1 and hatched another.

And the rarest Pokemon I've seen in the wild is Vileplume

Awayze

Neo Member
Pokemesh still works for Android. Pretty sweet app, you can also drop a pin anywhere in your country and it will show the Pokémon currently spawning in that radius. It's not as fast as Pokemon nearby but better than walking around trying to triangulate.

Daimos

Neo Member
Pokemesh still works for Android. Pretty sweet app, you can also drop a pin anywhere in your country and it will show the Pokémon currently spawning in that radius. It's not as fast as Pokemon nearby but better than walking around trying to triangulate.

Just tried it, worked brilliantly!

Joni

My phone keeps acting up since the game crashed on me yesterday. Losing huge chunks of battery at once, crashing when activating the GPS.

Any good ones like this for iOS?

GulAtiCa

Got another Geodude via an egg, cool!

Also got another Nidoran (Male) and was able to evolve it all the way. Got some low power bug attack for it's 1st move.. But got the nice Earthquake attack for it's charge.

I really hope they revise the CP soon. As getting real tired of seeing gyms with nothing by Dragonites & Snorlaxs...

Got another Geodude via an egg, cool!

Also got another Nidoran (Male) and was able to evolve it all the way. Got some low power bug attack for it's 1st move.. But got the nice Earthquake attack for it's charge.

I really hope they revise the CP soon. As getting real tired of seeing gyms with nothing by Dragonites & Snorlaxs...

I was shocked to see people using Clefables and Hypnos at the 3 gyms near my house last night. It was nice to see something other than Snorlax or Water/Fire here.

Interesting to see they made it so your Pokemon now need revives if they get kicked from a gym or lose while training one up. I'm okay with that.

Firemind

Interesting to see they made it so your Pokemon now need revives if they get kicked from a gym or lose while training one up. I'm okay with that.
wait, really? i just threw away all of mine to make room for eggs.

also my colleague got banned for "unfair" play whatever that means lol. hope he can get his account back.

GulAtiCa

Same. Finally have more use of my revives and instead of using a Hyper potion, I can just use a Super potion and maybe a potion. I've been hoping for this change for a while.

Nidoking popped up at a firehouse just 5 minutes away

My bro got a 880 and I got a 228 lol
You get turned to candy now nido, but it did give me 100 candies so I need a nidorino now to evolve it

Cashed out with 4 gyms this morning, put me at 210 pokecoins and I was able to buy my 2nd bag upgrade

There's 2 gyms close to my house that flip hands all the time, so they're usually low level or low amount of defenders. They were friendly this morning with just 1 each, so I went to them to train. I was surprised to see that both of them already had a slot open and all I had to do was assign a pokemon of my own, I didn't need to train at all. Is this how it is for a freshly taken gym? Like if I beat an enemy gym and it turns gray, there's room for 2 immediately? (different trainers same team of course)

I wish the potion screen showed how much hp your pokemon has so you know which potions to use. I hate going back to the pokemon menu to see they're at 78/148 or whatever so I know which potions to use

wait, really? i just threw away all of mine to make room for eggs.

Yup. Was training a gym and after I lost, I clicked on potions to not find my 'mon in the list. Clicked on the revives and there he was. Also saw another one I had added to a gym the other day in that list as well.

cHinzo

Kinda salty I didn't go outside at 2 am to catch that Mr. Mime. Now Pokemonnearby is dead and I can't seem to find him anymore. ;_;

Daimos

Neo Member
I case it helps anyone, I used known data from pokeadvisor.com to decode what number the top IV is.

I'm team Mystic, which means your responses may differ.

7 or lower: "It's stats are not out of the norm, in my estimation."
8 -12: "Its stats are noticeably trending towards the positive."
13 -14: "I am certainly impressed by its stats, I must say."
15: "Its stats exceed my calculations. It's incredible!"

And for overall:

< 50%: "Overall, your <name> is not likely to make headway in battle."
50% - 65%: "Overall, your <name> is above average."
65% - 80%: "Overall, your <name> has certainly caught my attention."
80%+: "Overall, your <name> is a wonder! What a breathtaking Pokemon!"

I double-checked my data, and believe the above to be accurate.

HardRojo

Cashed out with 4 gyms this morning, put me at 210 pokecoins and I was able to buy my 2nd bag upgrade

There's 2 gyms close to my house that flip hands all the time, so they're usually low level or low amount of defenders. They were friendly this morning with just 1 each, so I went to them to train. I was surprised to see that both of them already had a slot open and all I had to do was assign a pokemon of my own, I didn't need to train at all. Is this how it is for a freshly taken gym? Like if I beat an enemy gym and it turns gray, there's room for 2 immediately? (different trainers same team of course)

I wish the potion screen showed how much hp your pokemon has so you know which potions to use. I hate going back to the pokemon menu to see they're at 78/148 or whatever so I know which potions to use
Yeah, I believe the gym goes to level 2 as soon as someone sets a Pokémon, so it is possible for a teammate to put another one there.
I case it helps anyone, I used known data from pokeadvisor.com to decode what number the top IV is.

I'm team Mystic, which means your responses may differ.

7 or lower: "It's stats are not out of the norm, in my estimation."
8 -12: "Its stats are noticeably trending towards the positive."
13 -14: "I am certainly impressed by its stats, I must say."
15: "Its stats exceed my calculations. It's incredible!"

And for overall:

< 50%: "Overall, your <name> is not likely to make headway in battle."
50% - 65%: "Overall, your <name> is above average."
65% - 80%: "Overall, your <name> has certainly caught my attention."
80%+: "Overall, your <name> is a wonder! What a breathtaking Pokemon!"

I double-checked my data, and believe the above to be accurate.
This was posted earlier: http://phandroid.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Pokemon-GO-Appraisal-Cheat-Sheet.png

That's a good thing, I'd rather have a dead pokemon than a pokemon with 1hp, since revives restore 50% health.

I made a graph of how different pokeballs affect the catch rate

(obviously red is normal, blue is great, orange is ultra)

So wait. The lesson I'm taking from this is that the effect of great balls and ultra balls is least pronounced when the base catch rate is very high (common pokes) and when the catch rate is very LOW (extremely rare pokes)?

In other words, the ONE SITUATION you'd want to use ultra balls in is the situation where they're least useful?

pwack

So wait. The lesson I'm taking from this is that the effect of great balls and ultra balls is least pronounced when the base catch rate is very high (common pokes) and when the catch rate is very LOW (extremely rare pokes)?

In other words, the ONE SITUATION you'd want to use ultra balls in is the situation where they're least useful?

No. When the rate is low -- say 20% -- you get a large boost in relative terms. Jumping from 20% to 35% is actually pretty dramatic. It's just that the rate is still low.

No. When the rate is low -- say 20% -- you get a large boost in relative terms. Jumping from 20% to 35% is actually pretty dramatic. It's just that the rate is still low.

I guess that's true, but once you get below 10% the gain is minimal. You're talking about a tiny increase in catch rate, which means the rarer the pokemon, the less useful an ultra ball is versus throwing a normal pokeball and praying to whatever gods you believe in. I don't know if the mechanics in the mainline games are similar, but this seems stupid to me.

Ugh the run away rate from the starters is annoying sometimes lol....

Found a 75cp Bulba, threw berries and an ultra at his face and got nice and great bonuses....little guy still ran from me after a few attempts.

I might try this lol...but I keep getting a ton of 5Ks now and a couple 2Ks....would take a while to fill a page of 10Ks at this rate.

yeah I'm like a 5k magnet, I don't mind it taking a while to get 8 10k eggs I will be hatching the others in the meantime.

so far my adventures this morning are freaking terrible lol. so I get to the East LA civic center for my morning run, open up pokemon go...and I look at the nearby...

Screenshot_20160824_064749.png

so I start my run directly to the place I believed it would be, the only place within a few miles that spawns water Pokémon, and sure enough it was there. I used a berry and ultra ball, it broke out and ran away :/

I then went across the street to the electobuzz nest to pick some of him up, and what do I see on nearby?

Screenshot_20160824_071843.png

I look around and find him...do the same thing, Berry and ultra ball...and he does the same thing as Lapras (more like Laprasshole I'm thinking)...so two Rares spawn close together within a half hour and I found both and both fled after breaking out of 1 ball. fuck.

edit: a pretty good bulbasaur just fled after 1 ball.... softban?!?!?!?

Ugh the run away rate from the starters is annoying sometimes lol....

Found a 75cp Bulba, threw berries and an ultra at his face and got nice and great bonuses....little guy still ran from me after a few attempts.

I don't know why but the catch rates on starters seem impossibly low too. Seems like any starter with a three-digit CP shows up with an orange or red ring, which is ridiculous to me given you have to farm so many to get the highest evolution.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Digging the appraisal system, I don't really care about the exact numbers and I'm starting to remember where each sentence falls in the IV spectrum.

Anyway, I was checking my haul from yesterday and I'm pleased. I didn't go hunting, just walked to work trying to hit as many stops as I could, then later at night visited my brother. Stuff I didn't have before that I caught:

Meowth
Magmar
Jigglypuff
Haunter (I had some Gastlies and two Gengars so now I have the set)

And I caught another Aerodactyl (80% ~ 100%). Wish that Steel Wing was Bite, but I won't lose sleep over it:

Also hatched this fellow from a 10km egg, my first Electabuzz (80% ~ 100%). Not sure if I'll be able to use it, but great moveset:

WedgeX

Banned
yeah I'm like a 5k magnet, I don't mind it taking a while to get 8 10k eggs I will be hatching the others in the meantime.

so far my adventures this morning are freaking terrible lol. so I get to the East LA civic center for my morning run, open up pokemon go...and I look at the nearby...

Screenshot_20160824_064749.png

so I start my run directly to the place I believed it would be, the only place within a few miles that spawns water Pokémon, and sure enough it was there. I used a berry and ultra ball, it broke out and ran away :/

I then went across the street to the electobuzz nest to pick some of him up, and what do I see on nearby?

Screenshot_20160824_071843.png

I look around and find him...do the same thing, Berry and ultra ball...and he does the same thing as Lapras (more like Laprasshole I'm thinking)...so two Rares spawn close together within a half hour and I found both and both fled after breaking out of 1 ball. fuck.

edit: a pretty good bulbasaur just fled after 1 ball.... softban?!?!?!?

They just wanna be free, man.

Lukemon

I've been eyeing up the gym bubble strategy but I've never even seen a diglett before so finding a level 1 with the right IVs to do it isn't going to happen. Luckily it seems the pokemon go community is hunting down other combinations that'll work so maybe I'll get lucky and they'll identify something I can realistically find :3

The real beauty of that strat was that it cost nothing once you had the requisite pokes &#8211; even if you took a hit, you'd stay on 1HP for the next attempt and just try again. Latest patch means if that happens, you need to pop a Revive. The way the servers like to mess about, I can't see the Bubble strat being quite so lucrative any more &#8211; just quicker and cheaper in Potions than doing the same thing with higher CP pokes. I just run my 800 Graveler into my 1700 Flareon for 1000 Prestige and 100XP a time, while keeping the Gym relatively safe as it grows.

Edit: Some of those new strats look neat, though. Just wonder how consistent they can get...

Lol...yep to go back to my Starters comment. Just went to get lunch and a Bulba was near the place I was picking it up from. Prepared myself for disappointment, threw berries and an ultra, "Great!" nope....*runs away*

FFS lol I am gonna give up on getting a Venus soon, I am over halfway to a Blastoise and I fear I will never get a Charizard considering how little I see Charmanders. Shesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom