• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Firemind

I actually don't want more stops in my neighbourhood since that would mean players could replenish their potions/revives more often and take down my gyms. I'm already the underdog.

Anyway, I'm guessing everyone gets the legendary of their own team if they complete a goal and the only way to raise candy for them is to walk them. Or we get a Delibird and Stantler bonanza.

BowieZ

Banned
I hope its just Mewtwo and the birds. Generation II holds no interest for me at all!
Honestly curious! Is nostalgia over Gen 1 really all you play for? I mean, aren't you excited to experience brand new Pokemon? If you have no interest in Gen 2 it sounds like you don't like the core concept of the game, or of Pokemon in general for that matter.

As someone who never played Gen 1, I don't see how people aren't clamouring for new Pokemon, regardless of whether they're familiar with them or not (apart from nostalgia goggles of course).

Firemind

Honestly curious! Is nostalgia over Gen 1 really all you play for? I mean, aren't you excited to experience brand new Pokemon? If you have no interest in Gen 2 it sounds like you don't like the core concept of the game, or of Pokemon in general for that matter.

As someone who never played Gen 1, I don't see how people aren't clamouring for new Pokemon, regardless of whether they're familiar with them or not (apart from nostalgia goggles of course).
Most Gen II Pokemon suck. Really, the only Pokemon I'm looking forward to are Blissey and Tyranitar. The rest are pretty meh.

Hycran

Banned
Honestly curious! Is nostalgia over Gen 1 really all you play for?

Pretty much

I mean, aren't you excited to experience brand new Pokemon?

Not really. Experience the thrill of throwing the ball and watching it bounce?

If you have no interest in Gen 2 it sounds like you don't like the core concept of the game, or of Pokemon in general for that matter.

This makes no sense whatsoever. Just because he and I don't feel like getting on a treadmill and catching Pokemon for which we have little to no affinity and might not even remember means we didn't enjoy the game as it was originally made? Please put more thought into your posts.

wwm0nkey

I had a lot of nostalgia for Gen 1... Then I replayed the VC releases and thought they were only "okay"

A lot of the designs are solid but over all I thought gen 2 was better by far and HG/SS were the best games (until Sun and Moon that is, easily the best entry in the series)

(I did skip Gen 3-4)

Firemind

Typhlosion
Ampharos
Slowking
Forretress
Granbull
Scizor
Ursaring
Piloswine
Houndoom
Kingdra
Donphan
Blissey
Tyranitar

I need dis
Like I said, Blissey and Tyranitar. Ampharos could be good when you account for Go's mechanics, but Pokemon like Skarmory, Forretress and Scizor will suck because of their weaknesses and Steel being a shitty offensive type. Kingdra has too low CP so the no weaknesses might not even matter. Heracross has the crippling double flying weakness. Donphan the Vaporeon weakness and lower max CP than Rhydon.

The nostalgia is definitely a factor, I did play Crystal when it was new but the monster designs didn't hold the same magic or charm as the original 151 did for me. From a completionist standpoint, I feel like introducing a ton of new ones will make it that much more difficult for me to find the few I need to finish the original Pokedex. Either way, I'm still in and ready to buy a Pokefrappucino as of now.

JavyOO7

If on android, the .apk is out. And yes, its very satisfying transferring multiple Pokemon at once and all the candies you receive appearing on the right side of the screen. I love it, maggle!

(.apk on theSilphRoad subreddit)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Now that I'm at 143, I decided to start preparing for gen 2 and put Chansey as my buddy. I'm at 41 candies (from 2 egg hatches) so it's doable to walk to 50. I've picked that one since it never appears in the wild.

I wonder how they will handle the Bellossom evolution, isn't that an alternate evolution for Gloom? Will you be able to pick who you evolve to? Because I have a Gloom and 100 candies ready to go :p

GulAtiCa

They might just go the Eevee route and make it random :p (I hope not)

Also, just caught a 1050cp Dragonair! Only 71% IV, so not bad. But I have a 91% Dratini waiting to evolve too. So left kinda wondering which be better. I already have 2 Dragonites, so not in any hurry. I'll gain + 50 Dratini candies in the next double candy event (I have 25+ Dratinis on me waiting to transfer). I might just do the 91% Dratini and get the extra 24 candies.

Oh man, I hit the jackpot last night. Checked my town's facebook group, 4 mins prior someone posted about a Dragonite spawning on his street. Gave exact directions, which turned out to be an 8 min drive for me. I hauled ass.

O7vsM0Zl.png

Motherfucker is 15/14/15 IVs! He was caught at level 27 at a CP of 2756. With 1 ultra ball. He's now my first 3k mon and currently the overlord of a level 10 tower.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Damn, that beast with 1 ultra ball... That's quite the catch, congrats.

About Dragonites: I caught only the one, which was incredibly far away, had to chuck so many balls at it. Is that large distance always the case with Dragonites? I've always wondered how that distance is determined, and if it matters how close you are to the Pokémon if you tap on it.

Damn, that beast with 1 ultra ball... That's quite the catch, congrats.

About Dragonites: I caught only the one, which was incredibly far away, had to chuck so many balls at it. Is that large distance always the case with Dragonites? I've always wondered how that distance is determined, and if it matters how close you are to the Pokémon if you tap on it.

Yup, Dragonite is very far away and one of the most difficult to hit. Forget about curve balling, it needs to be one fluid movement from the bottom of the screen to the top. I think most people just get nervous and try to rush it and swipe too fast. It needs to be a slow and steady, straight down the middle swipe.

I found Lapras to be a bigger challenge. The one I found in the wild took me a good 15 ultra balls, with only 4 or 5 making contact.

But yeah, I couldn't believe it only took a single ball. I've heard many horror stories of Dragonites eating 20+ ultra balls and then running. Happened to Trainer Tips in one of his Japan videos.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yup, Dragonite is very far away and one of the most difficult to hit. Forget about curve balling, it needs to be one fluid movement from the bottom of the screen to the top. I think most people just get nervous and try to rush it and swipe too fast. It needs to be a slow and steady, straight down the middle swipe.

I found Lapras to be a bigger challenge. The one I found in the wild took me a good 15 ultra balls, with only 4 or 5 making contact.

But yeah, I couldn't believe it only took a single ball. I've heard many horror stories of Dragonites eating 20+ ultra balls and then running. Happened to Trainer Tips in one of his Japan videos.

Good tip. I definitely started getting more nervous with my throws, and more missed. I wasted 20 ultras iirc and it was one of the first great + berry balls that finally got him. Still remember the moment, there was a stampede to get him, and there was shouting as it ran away for some. I would've been crushed if mine ran away after all those balls. Still the only one I've ran to and caught since I started playing.

This was in the capital. Over here I don't think he's ever spawned, and I check my city scanner regularly.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
100 Poliwag caught, not a single one with +80% IV. It's impossible.
aand I caught a >82% one today. starting to think that whining on gaf is actual sorcery, so let me bitch about no nearby in South America once again and I'll also throw in the fact that I haven't got a Ditto yet for good measure.

The latest APK has been data-mined. Quite interesting. I'll leave this as a blank link in case anyone wants to keep this as a surprise for the Monday event: Pokemon Go APK Data-mined
ohhh boy

Ashodin

customization going HAM finally yes!!!!!

on the spoiler stuff

Gen 2 added shinies and genders to the game, so it makes sense they want to sort that out first before adding them next week.

Oh man, I hit the jackpot last night. Checked my town's facebook group, 4 mins prior someone posted about a Dragonite spawning on his street. Gave exact directions, which turned out to be an 8 min drive for me. I hauled ass.

O7vsM0Zl.png

Motherfucker is 15/14/15 IVs! He was caught at level 27 at a CP of 2756. With 1 ultra ball. He's now my first 3k mon and currently the overlord of a level 10 tower.
Fuck me I'm jelly. Congrats

Replicant

Hmm, I never realised until today how deadly my Exeggutor actually is. He's only 84%IV but has Confusion and Solar Beam. He's usually my Defense guy but since I have him around today, I used him to attack gym. Holy *bleep*, he basically melt down 3 opponents with slightly higher CP straight up without losing too much health.

Firemind

Really? My Exeggutors are like swiss cheese. I've therefore leveled an Alakazam with Confusion/Psychic to max since he costs me less potions while being the same glass cannon.

RIP one-point-from-perfect Dragonite

Blank!

Turn on AR mode and do it. You can re-position where the pokemon is to get easy curve balls and not have to throw them as far

Replicant

Really? My Exeggutors are like swiss cheese. I've therefore leveled an Alakazam with Confusion/Psychic to max since he costs me less potions while being the same glass cannon.

It's really hard finding Exeggcute around here let alone Exeggcute with great IV. I only have 1-2 Exeggcute and evolutions sometimes don't come with movesets that I want. So I only have this one and I usually just shove it onto a gym since it's technically a perfect gym defender.

I'm still looking for one I can use as a great attacker but both Exeggcute and Abra are hard to find. And I have better chance finding my 10th wild Dragonite than finding a wild Exeggutor. I never have problem catching Dragonite with curved balls either.

Hmm, I have 96% Exeggutor but with Confusion/Seed Bomb. Should I power it up?

Flo_Evans

It's really hard finding Exeggcute around here let alone Exeggcute with great IV. I only have 1-2 Exeggcute and evolutions sometimes don't come with movesets that I want. So I only have this one and I usually just shove it onto a gym since it's technically a perfect gym defender.

I'm still looking for one I can use as a great attacker but both Exeggcute and Abra are hard to find. And I have better chance finding my 10th wild Dragonite than finding a wild Exeggutor. I never have problem catching Dragonite with curved balls either.

Seedbomb is good defender (really hard to dodge) but man... eggs are pretty common here

have like 50 candy too. pretty much every possible move combo.

Top one is 91% IV with confusion and psychic. He is awesome.

Replicant

Seedbomb is good defender (really hard to dodge) but man... eggs are pretty common here

Ooh, I'll probably power it up then. I just realised that I no longer care that much of what I shove into the gym nowadays just as long as it has high enough CP. :/

have like 50 candy too. pretty much every possible move combo.

Top one is 91% IV with confusion and psychic. He is awesome.

I'm jelly. I have to rely on eggs to get one these days. There's one or two popping out on the street...sometimes...but the IVs are predictably shocking. Those are just candy fodders for me.

Makarov Cubone

Neo Member

That's a damn good Exeggutor for defending. I think Confusion has the better defending DPS of its quick moves, and Seed Bomb has good damage, comes out fast, and being three bars it charges quick. I'm jealous.

Makarov Cubone

Neo Member
So what's the deal with the Starbucks rumor or whatever? Did that turn out to be real?

Starbucks is getting sponsored Pokestops and Gyms, and between some people who'd be in the know openly saying as much, and the recent datamining uncovering even more Gen 2 assets, it looks like Gen 2's soon.

The latest APK has been data-mined. Quite interesting. I'll leave this as a blank link in case anyone wants to keep this as a surprise for the Monday event: Pokemon Go APK Data-mined

How do you guys think are they going to handle the candy requirements of some Pokemon that are getting a third form? Keep the 50 candy requirement and then 100 for the final form or reduce the second form to 25 like with the others in Gen I?

zulux21

How do you guys think are they going to handle the candy requirements of some Pokemon that are getting a third form? Keep the 50 candy requirement and then 100 for the final form or reduce the second form to 25 like with the others in Gen I?

go for broke and keep the second form 50 and keep in line with the others at 4x cost and make the third form 200 candy :p

Makarov Cubone

Neo Member

I could see them keeping first evolutions at 50 candy and then have the second evolutions cost 75, since that'd put the final evolution candy cost at 125 for a three stage Pokemon, so it'd have parity with the existing 25-100 Pokemon without lowering the initial evolution costs, and prevent people feeling ripped off for evolving anything before the update. I hope this is how they go about it anyway.

Top Bottom