• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Replicant

I got questions about powering up and evolving pokemons:

* If I caught a Pokemon when I was at certain level (ie. Level 24), will it be better if I wait before I power it up to get better power up CP?

* Will this also be applicable for evolving? Ie. it's better if I wait until say, Level 30 before evolving this pokemon because I'll get better CP/moveset, etc?

* If I caught a Pokemon when I was at certain level (ie. Level 24), will it be better if I wait before I power it up to get better power up CP?

* Will this also be applicable for evolving? Ie. it's better if I wait until say, Level 30 before evolving this pokemon because I'll get better CP/moveset, etc?

the cp is pretty random actually, there may be no sense to wait for a higher cp if it's already pretty high but with an ideal moveset, especially caught in the wild. I was level 29 and the guy next to me in my car was low 20s and we both went for the same snorlax, mine was like 1050 but his was 2200. sometimes you luck out.

the movesets are a crapshoot, that's why when you get a pretty good cp but ideal moveset, you're sage to power it. rare pokemon, high cp, ideal moveset is asking a LOT.

All your level changes is the maximum level pokemon you find can start at and the maximum level you can power them up to currently (this increases as you level up though so pokemon you caught at lower levels are not handicapped in any way), so... any pokemon you've already caught will not be any better or worse for holding off or just upgrading them now basically.

In terms of whether you want to wait to see if you catch better pokemon or not than your current ones, pokemon cannot hatch at a level higher than those you'll find at level 20 and ones found in the wild will not start higher than those you find at level 30 so make of that what you will :p

Replicant

the cp is pretty random actually, there may be no sense to wait for a higher cp if it's already pretty high but with an ideal moveset, especially caught in the wild. I was level 29 and the guy next to me in my car was low 20s and we both went for the same snorlax, mine was like 1050 but his was 2200. sometimes you luck out.

the movesets are a crapshoot, that's why when you get a pretty good cp but ideal moveset, you're sage to power it. rare pokemon, high cp, ideal moveset is asking a LOT.

All your level changes is the maximum level pokemon you find can start at and the maximum level you can power them up to currently (this increases as you level up though so pokemon you caught at lower levels are not handicapped in any way), so... any pokemon you've already caught will not be any better or worse for holding off or just upgrading them now basically.

In terms of whether you want to wait to see if you catch better pokemon or not than your current ones, pokemon cannot hatch at a level higher than those you'll find at level 20 and ones found in the wild will not start higher than those you find at level 30 so make of that what you will :p

I see so:

* It doesn't matter at what CP and my own level I caught them at. The CP will increase based on the level I'm in atm. So if I already maxed out the CP of a Pikachu when I was at level 23, he will have more room to upgrade its CP when I'm at level 24, right?

* Since Pokemon you catch is random anyway in terms of CP assignment (ie. it's not related to my current level), the chances of getting better one with higher CP is entirely luck-based.

Basically there's no harm in powering them up now using dust to the max CP since the max CP will adjust when I level up.

How about evolving them? Does it matter if I evolve them now when I'm only level 24 or will I get better CP when I evolve them at level 30? From what I gather, it doesn't matter but I just want to be sure.

A pokemon's CP is determined by a mathematical formula based on its species specific stats, IVs, and level (the max of which increases whenever your trainer level increases). Nothing else matters.

That said, unless your pokemon has near perfect IVs and moveset, don't spend too much stardust on it, especially if you're only using it to attack. Stardust gets spent really quickly, and there are only three ways to get it (capturing pokemon, hatching eggs, and collecting your defender bonus once a day).

The level of the wild pokemon you encounter IS random, but your level DOES matter. It can't be higher than your level. So at level 30, you can catch level 30 pokemon and save over 50,000 stardust compared to catching a similar IV/moveset pokemon at level 25.

Complistic

the play store changed to "your device isn't compatible with this version."

My phone isn't rooted, it came unlocked so I can have whatever carrier I want, but I don't think that's the same thing. Am I fucked or is it just confused since it's still rolling out?

Yeah, I just keep catching Pokémon or hatching them and replacing the old ones with the newer Pokémon. No point in spending stardust now unless you really want to battle using rare Pokémon.

I see so:

* It doesn't matter at what CP and my own level I caught them at. The CP will increase based on the level I'm in atm. So if I already maxed out the CP of a Pikachu when I was at level 23, he will have more room to upgrade its CP when I'm at level 24, right?

* Since Pokemon you catch is random anyway in terms of CP assignment (ie. it's not related to my current level), the chances of getting better one with higher CP is entirely luck-based.

Basically there's no harm in powering them up now using dust to the max CP since the max CP will adjust when I level up.

How about evolving them? Does it matter if I evolve them now when I'm only level 24 or will I get better CP when I evolve them at level 30? From what I gather, it doesn't matter but I just want to be sure.

A pokemon's CP is determined by a mathematical formula based on its species specific stats, IVs, and level (the max of which increases whenever your trainer level increases). Nothing else matters.

That said, unless your pokemon has near perfect IVs and moveset, don't spend too much stardust on it, especially if you're only using it to attack. Stardust gets spent really quickly, and there are only three ways to get it (capturing pokemon, hatching eggs, and collecting your defender bonus once a day).

The level of the wild pokemon you encounter IS random, but your level DOES matter. It can't be higher than your level. So at level 30, you can catch level 30 pokemon and save over 50,000 stardust compared to catching a similar IV/moveset pokemon at level 25.

MKFR kinda covers it but to detail it further:
* the level of pokemon you find in the wild will be a random level from 1 to your level/level 30 (whichever of the two is lowest)
* hatching pokemon I don't know the full range of but it won't be higher than your level/level 20 (again, whichever of the two is lowest :3 )

Your pokemon's CP is determined by their level and a bunch of other stuff but the only thing you can really change is their level and evolution, the rest is set in stone once you find/hatch them. As you surmised, the maximum you can raise a pokemon's level to (which is represented by that arc above them) is roughly equivalent to your own level at the time and as you level up your trainer, this maximum increases meaning you can continue once again to power them up.

On a fun note, this means even when you're level 40 there's still a chance you'll find level 1 pokemon XD

Hycran

Banned
Yeah, I just keep catching Pokémon or hatching them and replacing the old ones with the newer Pokémon. No point in spending stardust now unless you really want to battle using rare Pokémon.

Having spent hundreds of thousands of stardust, it's always best to wait until level 25. After that you're spend so much time at each level that you can effectively defray the stardust cost as you go before you level and are able to pump guys again.

Edit: also that link to the buddy system conflicts with other parts of rankedboosts website. They say squirtle is 3 in the link but clicking it says it's 2...

Growlie19

Still no update on my end, which sucks and all, but I now have over 100 mons registered in my dex! Got lucky with egg hatches and got Nidoking (Fury Cutter and Earthquake), Poliwrath (Mud Shot and Submission), Machoke, Vileplume (Acid and Solar Beam) and Cloyster (Ice Shard and Blizzard).

I didn't play today, but I'll spend a few hours tomorrow. I'm thinking this could be my last week of dedicated playing, and I'm going to top it off with a mass 10k egg hatching. I have four in the inventory, but I'm waiting until I have six.

My 10km egg ratio is 10/110, so I basically have a 10% chance to receive a 10km egg from a PokeStop. I won't get my hopes up for my hatches, but it will still be quite an event. After that I will be out of incubators. I do have 2 Lucky Eggs, so I will be able to reach level 27 before they're gone.

I'm still not ready to spend money on this game, but progress will be glacial after all my special items run out.

GulAtiCa

Thanks to the buddy system, I've gotten 1 charmander candy and 9 Clefairy candies all for just today. I'll gain my final Clefairy candy, evolve and move onto Geodude. By end of this week, I should have my Golem!

I'm now like 8k from level 26. Looking forward to it, but not so much too how much stardust will be required to level up my top Pokemon. Lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
where ma update at
BIR5QKn.png

going to walk to work tomorrow and it's going to suck not having a buddy.

zroid

Banned
fucks sake

it's nearly midnight and I notice the two gyms visible from my house are both Instinct and both have open slots. I didn't get a chance to play at all today so this was too good an opportunity to pass up for 20 quick coins, even though I'm already in my pyjamas.

I drive around the corner and take care of business at the first one no problem but by the time I'm at the second one... it's already being attacked by somebody and the open slot is gone. what an asshole. ;_;

I just thought I'd wait it out till he leaves since it'll only be one Pokémon, so no problem. yeah, no. there's two Pokémon in the gym, and both are over 2000CP. :\

soooo after two rounds of battling, the gym is open and I occupy it. then I suddenly notice on my radar that the FIRST gym is being attacked. GUESS WHO.

in sheer panic I check the shop to make sure I still have 2 gyms occupied, and luckily I do, so I get my 20 coins. When I go back to the main screen, the first gym is already Valor. this fucking game.

jnWake

fucks sake

it's nearly midnight and I notice the two gyms visible from my house are both Instinct and both have open slots. I didn't get a chance to play at all today so this was too good an opportunity to pass up for 20 quick coins, even though I'm already in my pyjamas.

I drive around the corner and take care of business at the first one no problem but by the time I'm at the second one... it's already being attacked by somebody and the open slot is gone. what an asshole. ;_;

I just thought I'd wait it out till he leaves since it'll only be one Pokémon, so no problem. yeah, no. there's two Pokémon in the gym, and both are over 2000CP. :\

soooo after two rounds of battling, the gym is open and I occupy it. then I suddenly notice on my radar that the FIRST gym is being attacked. GUESS WHO.

in sheer panic I check the shop to make sure I still have 2 gyms occupied, and luckily I do, so I get my 20 coins. When I go back to the main screen, the first gym is already Valor. this fucking game.
Once I took a gym like 100 mts from my house and it was already taken back when I arrived home. Didn't even get the bonus haha. It was infuriating.

zroid

Banned
Once I took a gym like 100 mts from my house and it was already taken back when I arrived home. Didn't even get the bonus haha. It was infuriating.

there's just virtually no point in assuming you can hold your place in a gym for longer than a few minutes unless you're with a group of people on the same team... it's so annoying

even at midnight in the damn suburbs this shit happens!

Was coming home from the Jays game, got to my house, looked down at phone and saw a Blastoise silhouette for the first time ever!

It didn't show up on Nearby so I figured I'd check nearby spawn points and see if it was there, unfortunately, it did not pop up so I walked back towards home defeated :(

Checked Nearby just to be sure and it was one of the farther spawn points and I'd have to go the long way around, so I start walking faster, get on the street and see a shadowy figure on the sidewalk, I figure it's just a rabbit and keep walking.....nope! Frickin' big skunk raises it's tail and growls at me! I jump back a few steps and it wanders off back into the night!

Continue my journey, catch the Blastoise, head home! Too bad the low # IV bug is still there =/

TL;DR - Watch out for real life Mons while catching virtual Mons :p

zroid

Banned
Was coming home from the Jays game, got to my house, looked down at phone and saw a Blastoise silhouette for the first time ever!

It didn't show up on Nearby so I figured I'd check nearby spawn points and see if it was there, unfortunately, it did not pop up so I walked back towards home defeated :(

Checked Nearby just to be sure and it was one of the farther spawn points and I'd have to go the long way around, so I start walking faster, get on the street and see a shadowy figure on the sidewalk, I figure it's just a rabbit and keep walking.....nope! Frickin' big skunk raises it's tail and growls at me! I jump back a few steps and it wanders off back into the night!

Continue my journey, catch the Blastoise, head home! Too bad the low # IV bug is still there =/

TL;DR - Watch out for real life Mons while catching virtual Mons :p
hahaha :D

man.... with this IV bug (is it even a bug?) I'm not sure I'd waste my time catching a Blastoise, considering how many balls/berries it would probably take. :(

you would think that but you'd also think something so stupid would be fixed by now

It's possible they're not aware of the bug, since it's something really only a small portion of players know and talk about, but I think odds are it's just considered low priority at the moment (for the same reason).

It's painful waiting for the update. No buddy system is fine, but update fix some gym glitch and the ivysaur glitch, I need the update so I can enter some gyms near me. :(

zulux21

decided to install ingress for the fun of it.

holy heck does it track stuff way faster than pokemon go.

gonna have to play around with it a bit more to give me hope for the future of pokemon go in this updateless world @_@

Yrael

I have enough candy for another Gyarados...I'm hesitating on evolving my 97% Magikarp though in case I get burned again by the Twister curse. Maybe I should just bite the bullet.

Radec

I have enough candy for another Gyarados...I'm hesitating on evolving my 97% Magikarp though in case I get burned again by the Twister curse. Maybe I should just bite the bullet.

You'll never know until you try.

I evolved 2 carps, the first one whos 90+ got Twister. Second 70+ was by accident and got Dragon Pulse.

I'm 100 candies away from evolving my 100iv carp and I'm crossing my dick for it to not have twister lol.

BowieZ

Banned
Where the update at :(

On the upside I FINALLY evolved Alakazam, couldn't be bothered waiting for a better Abra than 91% tho.

Its moves are Psychic Cut and Psychic which are apparently the best.

GulAtiCa

Thanks to the Buddy system was able to evolve this this morning! Got 9 candies yesterday and my last this morning. Now moving onto my Geodude which only needs 37 candies lest. So, I should be able to get that by the weekend.

I just realised but maybe this buddy system (which still isn't out here yet officially ¬.¬ ) is their solution to the issue of adding new gens of pokemon? Now you don't need to catch hundreds to evolve them... you just need one and the buddy system, so diluting the ones you come across is no longer an issue :p

Pachimari

I saw this just now but they didn't pop up and I got the usual "GPS location not found" and then they ended up disappearing...

I also notice that I rather hope for new Pokemon to pop up on my path, cause I don't want to walk 50 meters to the left and then 100m to the right and so on to look for these monsters.

Replicant

It's so weird seeing Sony mobiles got the update first. Normally it took forever for us to even get the new Android update. Much appreciated though.

I just realised but maybe this buddy system (which still isn't out here yet officially ¬.¬ ) is their solution to the issue of adding new gens of pokemon? Now you don't need to catch hundreds to evolve them... you just need one and the buddy system, so diluting the ones you come across is no longer an issue :p

Depends on your location/Pokemon availability. For me, it's a lot faster to just get say, Magikarp or Psyduck to get candies than to walk with them as buddies. OTOH, Ninetales up there (or Vulpix) are rare here so being able to get candy from walking will be helpful.

Depends on your location/Pokemon availability. For me, it's a lot faster to just get say, Magikarp or Psyduck to get candies than to walk with them as buddies. OTOH, Ninetales up there (or Vulpix) are rare here so being able to get candy from walking will be helpful.

Well that's the thing, once you've got 700+ pokemon around the world, even the 'common' pokemon will be a lot more scarce than they are now due to being diluted by the pure variety so the buddy system could quickly become the primary way of grinding candies once they start dumping new species in the pool :p

Top Bottom