• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

GulAtiCa

I'm on my way to San Francisco... this is the goddamn promise land…

XqPmc
That Karp you got will be perfect for Sushi!

jelmerjt

Managed to take down the level 10 skyscraper gym in my city. It was awesome. Everyone and their mother is playing Pokemon Go and god knows how many people in that building are Pokemon Go players so it's never easy. Luckily today is Sunday hehe :p Anyway... another thing to scratch off the bucket list :D

wtc8UpJ.png

92V9hdp.png

Pokemon Go Plus is going to be another shitty amiibo situation where somehow, magically, Nintendo didn't realize how many of them they were going to need to actually meet demand.

I'm really trying hard to avoid Ebay.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Managed to take down the level 10 skyscraper gym in my city. It was awesome. Everyone and their mother is playing Pokemon Go and god knows how many people in that building are Pokemon Go players so it's never easy. Luckily today is Sunday hehe :p Anyway... another thing to scratch off the bucket list :D
Took almost exactly one hour to take down a L10 gym. But I didn't have a single pokemon with CP > 2000 at the time, and the biggest defender was maybe 1800 CP. How long it took you?

By the way, fourth Snorlax that spawns at home, this one spawned on the other side of the block but thankfully I could reach it from the backyard. Second ??? I get, the previous one was a 1400 CP Pinsir when I was L18 or so. One berry and one ultra ball (not counting the one that fell short). Beats my 2211CP Exeggutor to become my highest CP pokemon. It's a 15/04/10 (64%), but won't complain. At first it won't spawn, and was growing nervous, but then realized I was still connected to my wifi, which didn't reach that far. Switched to 4G and after resetting the game, it showed. They mentioned they were fixing that bug, but sometimes it still takes a good while to refresh.

CsqDSLYWAAA76Sw.jpg:small

CsqDS6iWcAAQlvV.jpg:small

CsqDUHEWAAAXCqA.jpg:small

I'm on my way to San Francisco... this is the goddamn promise land…

XqPmc

Whoa, where is that?
I was in San Francisco last week and was kinda disappointed... the tracking thing is awesome obviously but the Pokemon themselves were nothing special.
Best i caught was a wild Aerodactyl though I already had one, so meh.

Azole

Neo Member
Whoa, where is that?
I was in San Francisco last week and was kinda disappointed... the tracking thing is awesome obviously but the Pokemon themselves were nothing special.
Best i caught was a wild Aerodactyl though I already had one, so meh.

Pier 39. Best spot for Karp's. Also lots of psyduck and tentacool. 3-5 dratini every hour plus pidgeys and rats.

jelmerjt

Took almost exactly one hour to take down a L10 gym. But I didn't have a single pokemon with CP > 2000 at the time, and the biggest defender was maybe 1800 CP. How long it took you?

Nice Snorlax!

It took an hour yeah, at least. The enemy Pokemon were in the 1700-2800 range, the top Pokemon being a Dragonite. It was a close call, but my Dragon Breath/Hydro Pump Gyarados was able to take it down.

Biske

I can't see myself buying the PoGo Plus right now.

It's a weird thing because when I enjoy a free game I usually buy some stuff to support the developers, but I often do this late because buying any premium currency always "taints" the game and I instantly lose interest.

But this Plus thing... something about it rubs me the wrong way. It seems like one of its main selling points (tracking of distance with a locked phone) is ABSOLUTELY bullshit, tons of apps already do this without extraneous gadgets. So what exactly is the split of incompetence and greed going on here? 50/50? 20/80? I'd simply love to know.

Yeah, I thought about getting one, but nah, I can't support that bullshit, the features on it are all worthless except for being able to track distance with the app in the background. 40 bucks for that is bullshit.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Went to Brussels today and caught my first Snorlax. Good news its IV is excellent:

Bad news, only 1000 cp :( So I'll have bet on getting one from a 10 km egg, or maybe finding another one in a city. I have too many evolvable mons left to use him as a buddy.

His moveset is Lick + Hyper Beam, probably also not ideal? Though I've read there are no weak movesets for Snorlax.

JavyOO7

Licker/Hyperbeam stronk as offense. For defense its Zen Headbutt and Hyper beam. Facing strong defensive Snorlax like that in gyms suck for me since I don't have enough strong Pokemon to counter it with.

Toki767

The Go Plus seems useful especially if you want to play while you're driving. Just keep it in one hand and press the button any time it vibrates. Don't even have to look at it.

deanote666

Has anyone noticed an increase in battery drain since the update (not using a go plus)?

Just hatched an eevee, tentacool... *throws phone against the wall*

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Licker/Hyperbeam stronk as offense.

Thanks, I'll definitely keep it around, since it'll be my only Snorlax for a long time I think

Also got a second Omanyte with a shitton of candy. I got two Omanytes out of 10 km eggs and I only need 1 candy for evolve, so easy buddy choice.

More in this category are Ekans, Growlithe and Doduo. Never caught/seen in the wild, but I'll probably evolve them eventually through eggs.

Isn't ??? just what you see when you encounter a Pokémon with CP higher than your highest Pokémon? So if you have a powerful maxed out Pokémon, you would never see a ???.

MisterHero

my last ??? was an 800-900 Seaking

yup

i encounter high-level (maxed out?*) commons. i can tell because they run if i don't get them on the first try

*for lvl 20

HardRojo

Got 2 100% Eevees, which I evolved during a lucky egg/mass evolution.
First one: Flareon with Flamethrower
Second one: Vaporeon with Aqua Tail

Fuck this shit, hopefully the ability to teach moves will come in a future patch.

Another 10k egg hatch!

It was a damn Scyther :(

Sigh...I should stop getting excited for these. I have another one that I just popped in and I'm sure it will be crap too. The best thing I've gotten out of one was an Omanyte.

Replicant

dragon claw has stab and a ridiculously short attack animation
so yes

Huh. I wouldn't have known that just looking at the stat. So thank you. I need to learn more about the attacks of each pokemon and their damage.

Got 2 100% Eevees, which I evolved during a lucky egg/mass evolution.
First one: Flareon with Flamethrower
Second one: Vaporeon with Aqua Tail

Fuck this shit, hopefully the ability to teach moves will come in a future patch.

After 2-3 tries I never bother evolving perfect pokemon or pokemon with already great movesets. The evolved version usually has shit movesets. I usually take the one that is one step from the highest IV with imperfect/shitty movesets. The evolved version usually have better movesets.

Another 10k egg hatch!

Sigh...I should stop getting excited for these. I have another one that I just popped in and I'm sure it will be crap too. The best thing I've gotten out of one was an Omanyte.

LOL. My 10k egg just hatched and it's Chansey with 73% IV. It's lower than the 84% Chansey with 2 perfect moves I got from a nearby pier. FML

God. Damn. It. I want Snorlax or Lapras. :(

Flo_Evans

Went to Brussels today and caught my first Snorlax. Good news its IV is excellent:

Bad news, only 1000 cp :( So I'll have bet on getting one from a 10 km egg, or maybe finding another one in a city. I have too many evolvable mons left to use him as a buddy.

His moveset is Lick + Hyper Beam, probably also not ideal? Though I've read there are no weak movesets for Snorlax.

He will be awesome for training against people that put tough low level guys in the 1st slot. Just never put him in a gym! He will definitely stunt it's growth.

Firemind

Another 10k egg hatch!

Scizor will be a beastly Snorlax counter so there's that. Resists Zen Headbutt, Body Slam and Hyper Beam, neutral to Lick and EQ.

Tyranitar will probably still be better though since it resists everything but EQ.

HiResDes

Yeah things run for no rhyme or reason, found a 900 plus cp ivysaur which I really needed considering I have 93 candies, so I fed it an threw an ultra ball and got great, it popped out, threw another ultraball got great and it ran... Umm okay

AdanVC

Ladies and Gentlemen, I've been playing this game since July 10th, 2016, and today I finally catched my very first Snorlax. My all time favorite Pokémon. Without the need of radars and stuff, I was just walking from the supermarket, I haven't checked the phone in a bit so I simply pulled it out the check it like I normally do every 5 minutes, I opened the game and BOOOOM! the fatass appeared right away!

I simply couldn't believe it. I got so nervous I put the bags I had from the supermarket on the actual floor just so I can have both hands on the phone to properly throw the ultra ball lmao. It had ??? actually! And I'm level 22! (Because my strongest Pokémon was a 1326 cp Arcanine) So I got even more nervous, what if he runs away!?, A lil berry and an Ultra ball throw, circle was kinda small but not too much so he escaped from that. I literally wanted to faint but he was still there, he still haven't ran away so I repeated the process.... AND CATCHED HE WAS!

He is now my strongest pokemon even though his IVs kinda suck but who cares. I finally got my Totoro <3

My Seel was on his good mood this morning and found me 2 candies at once :D

I still feel horrible forcing him to run after me while i jog though.

I still got a couple at level 29...it was a 2900+ dragonite that eventually ran from me after like 80 ultra balls :/

That's some disappointment there, damn :(

I myself havent found a ??? Pokemon after Level 20 or so :(. The last one was a Seaking or something.

Im on my way to 25 now and would like to see a ??? one :D

Dedede

Neo Member
Hopping on the Snorlax train, found my first one recently:

Other highlights over last week: Evolving Jigglypuff and Clefairy to Wiggly and Clefable for the first time and rolling their best attacker movesets (Pound/Hyper Beam and Moonblast).

Lows: Getting my first Vileplume and Victreebel...and no grass charge move on either. Would've been nice to have something to blow out the 2k+ Vaporeons plaguing my area.
Also got a Flamethrower Flareon off a perfect Eevee. Still powering it, but wish it had Fire Blast.

RNG is a rollercoaster at times.

I'm not training any more gyms until they make substantial changes to how training works. I'm sorry that I didn't sit at that street corner, pull up a type chart, cross-reference with the weakest pokemon in the gym, figure out which of my bug/grass/ghost pokemons would work best against that 900CP Hypno without being over the limit, and pound away at it until another spot opened. I don't feel like spending half an hour to maybe open up one spot. Training up gyms is either completely terrible or completely exploitable depending on whether someone decided to bubblestrat the gym or not. I'm done.

Scizor will be a beastly Snorlax counter so there's that. Resists Zen Headbutt, Body Slam and Hyper Beam, neutral to Lick and EQ.

Tyranitar will probably still be better though since it resists everything but EQ.

Fair point, didn't even think about that. Provided it's 50 candies for the evolve I'll be good for Scizor when gen 2 drops. I'll have to keep this in mind for when Onix inevitably rears his head.

I'm not training any more gyms until they make substantial changes to how training works. I'm sorry that I didn't sit at that street corner, pull up a type chart, cross-reference with the weakest pokemon in the gym, figure out which of my bug/grass/ghost pokemons would work best against that 900CP Hypno without being over the limit, and pound away at it until another spot opened. I don't feel like spending half an hour to maybe open up one spot. Training up gyms is either completely terrible or completely exploitable depending on whether someone decided to bubblestrat the gym or not. I'm done.

Some gyms you just need to walk away from. The other day I was able to raise a gym 7500 prestige for level 10 by fighting a Kabutops with my Venasaur, and it took only 10 mins. I also had to brute force a Slowbro for 2500 prestige that took me half an hour, but I really wanted the gym since it was in a good location. It's all about having the right mons for the right situation and deciding if you want to commit the time. Even with a diverse line up, sometimes it's not going to work out efficiently, causing you to waste a lot of time and potions. Something that works in your favor will eventually show up.

I can attest that it's totally worth it in the long run. I took my 10th gym on Thursday, I still have all 10. It's amazing waking up in the morning to a free 100 coins and 5000 stardust. Plus I find this gym building game more entertaining than trying to bum rush a bunch late at night and stressing out that someone is taking them before you can claim.

Azuran17

Neo Member
Just got my pokemon go plus this afternoon through an order I madE at amazon on release day. Works great for playing while doing something else. I dont have to worry about running out of balls since its 1 try only. Totally saves me from having to frustrate myself getting a useless 100+ cp pokemon and debating to try again and again wasting resources. Im only gonna use this as a 'Cant take out my phone but i need some stardust and pokestop items' sort of deal.

One issue i need to address. Im on ios and it seems to desync after over a half an hr of idling. Just testing this in the house atm

zulux21

Just got my pokemon go plus this afternoon through an order I madE at amazon on release day. Works great for playing while doing something else. I dont have to worry about running out of balls since its 1 try only. Totally saves me from having to frustrate myself getting a useless 100+ cp pokemon and debating to try again and again wasting resources. Im only gonna use this as a 'Cant take out my phone but i need some stardust and pokestop items' sort of deal.

One problem issue i need to address. Im on ios and it seems to desync after over a half an hr of idling. Just testing this in the house atm

yeah that seems to be the case in general.

on my wife's android phone we were having issues with idling after like 10 minutes.

I have been VERY unlucky with Snorlax, I have caught 6 but the strongest one is at 1035 CP and Im level 22

Level 24 (will be 25 once I get a couple more evolutions saved up). Have found 3 Snorlax. My highest was 592. -_- And that last one was back on July 24th...

(the first was like, 47 or something, and the second was in its 400s)

Top Bottom