• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
took 6 cloyster but finally got one with ice shard and blizzard and on a side note i wish they would let you buy potions all i have left are max potions and i dont want to waste them

acm2000

so i caught ANOTHER lapras yesterday, even bigger than the one the day before.... 1850cp this time, not sure whats going on atm

Did my lucky egg last night for 64000 XP (including 2 new dex entries). 2/3 way through level 24. So I'm using Stardust for the first time ever and have some questions I'm sure have been answered 100x already:

After a few Power Ups, the option grays out despite me having enough candy and stardust. I think you can do more Power Ups every 2 levels? Is that trainer level, because it'll take forever considering how much XP is needed between level ups.

For these Pokemon that can't currently Power Up, the white arc that is above the pokemon, some of those maxed out for me and some still have room left. What's the difference? nevermind, there was a delay. I see now that a maxed out Pokemon, the white line is maxed out.

Flo_Evans

Yeah your Pokémon level is capped at your level. If you still have room on the arc, dust and candy you should be able to keep powering them up though.

q4roel

But what will you do with 9 Jynx?

Is there any evidence this is based on? I think I incubated some eggs at the same time a few times, and they mostly hatch doubles. E.g.: three 10km eggs of which two hatch an Onix, or five 5km eggs of which two hatch a Sandshrew and two an Ekans etc.

So my theory is that you shouldn't incubate all your eggs at the same time. Is there any proof to this?

Obviously, all of this only pertains to attacking, but the way the game's combat is currently balanced, I honestly don't think the efficacy of defensive moves is worth the discussion other than for discussion's sake.

Welp, I'll always prefer the best possible defensive moveset even if I already know that any trainer can bring down a lvl 10 gym using Pidgeottos and Raticates. Facing a gym mostly full of 2k+ Pkm with the right moves can be pretty exhausting and resources-demanding, so there's that.

Then again, if my full-evolved Venasaur will get Solar Beam I'm not gonna complain (and I'm glad that my Wigglytuff got Hyper Beam).

Then again, starters are mostly for aesthetics anyway, since there are pokemon that outperform them that are much easier to obtain, so really, maybe none of it was worth discussing. Oh well. It's going to be asked regardless.

Charizard and Blastoise sure, but Venasaur is still the best grass type (with pure grass-type moveset) pkm out there.

jotun?

Yeah your Pokémon level is capped at your level. If you still have room on the arc, dust and candy you should be able to keep powering them up though.

It's actually your level plus 1.5

If you're level 24 you can only find things up to 24, but you can power them up to 25.5

Are any of these guys worth powering up for gym offense or defense?

Clefable with Moonblast
Slowbro with Ice Beam
Electabuzz with Thunder
Starmie with Psychic
Cloyster with Blizzard

I don't care to pay attention to IV's, I'm good as long as the Leader Appraisal doesn't say anything negative. CP and moveset are my priorities.

jotun?

Clefable with Moonblast
Slowbro with Ice Beam
Electabuzz with Thunder
Starmie with Psychic
Cloyster with Blizzard

I don't care to pay attention to IV's, I'm good as long as the Leader Appraisal doesn't say anything negative. CP and moveset are my priorities.
Slowbro sort of worth it IF it has Confusion. Psychic would be better than Ice Beam, but still decent.

Others, no

Clefable with Moonblast
Slowbro with Ice Beam
Electabuzz with Thunder
Starmie with Psychic
Cloyster with Blizzard

Well, CP are inextricably linked to IVs.

However, the only good defender between them should be Slowbro (especially w/ confusion).

So is it confirmed the IV/Dex number bug has been fixed?

It seems so.

Does reporting actually accomplish anything? There's three instinct accounts taking over gyms where I live, leaving level 28-32 Snorlax and Dragonites everywhere. It's like 10-15 gyms.

Flo_Evans

Arcanine with bulldoze. Is there anything worse? I was going to keep him since he had fairly high IV and cp but man I just trained against one and it was laughable. Maybe I will keep him on as a trainer.

Radec

First time evolving an Arcanine as Growlightes are very rare in my area..

Learns Bitefast and Bulldoze.

Nice fire pokemon.
KuGsj.gif

Thanks guys. I already pumped some dust into that Slowbro, I got a little carried away. He's in my top 9 though so he'll definitely still be utilized.

AdanVC

it wasn't put there to be a defender, it was put there so teammates can level up their gym in order put a much stronger pokemon in...try to knock it out if you want the gym leveled up too easy

Everytime I check this thread I learn something new such as this. So that's why I saw a 30cp Bulbasaur in a blue gym (my team) this morning. I thought: "Are you joking, man!?" But nope, in fact he was being a kind human by putting his weak ass bulbasaur there :') Hope the gym continues in blue by the time I get out of work so I can put my pokemon there!

GulAtiCa

I've been averaging about 50+ Coins gained via Gyms since last week. I cashed in on like 70 today. Since last Thursday I've gained at least 500 coins. Going nicely so far. :)

Are we making wishlists for the game?

Daily rewards: Check in and receive some basic items (pokeballs, potions). uncommon/rare etc are candies (great for those rural players who don't have many pokestops for items)

Community challenges:
- whichever team globally is holding the most amount of gyms over the course of this week will get a special rewards package. Includes Master Ball, a unique pokemon (Gyrados with some move he wouldn't regularly be able to get) etc. Introduce shiny pokemon this way

- whichever team gets the most amount of combined walking distance for the month of November will get a special reward. exploitable? yes but still fun

stats page. total battles won, lost, total amt of pokemon of each type, etc.

boss ladder - can you beat this Niantic gym? 5 specific defenders with burly Pokemon from Niantic employees. Enter once per day, special reward if you can clear it

GulAtiCa

Are we sure Pokemon caught via Go + give stardust? Cause, unless it's delayed, I got none just now from catching like 3. I made sure to test with the final one to make sure, and didn't increase.

Hopefully just delayed.

Edit: it's delayed. As soon as I manually caught a Pokemon, it went up by like 700.

AdanVC

Yesterday on the whatsapp group, somebody did the thing of collecting nine 10km eggs to hatch them at the same time and they were about to hatch so he did a video when the moment came up and omfg, it was puuuuuredissapointement:

1 Jynx
2 Magmars
2 Onix
1 Omanyte
1 Pinsir
1 Hitmonlee
1 Electabuzz

We didn't even troll him after that, all on the group felt sorry for him instead lmao. All the money and time on collecting those eggs only for that. Everything is randomized when it comes to egg hatching or it has something to do where do you get them OR where do you open it once it's hatched??

GulAtiCa

I don't have an Onyx, Hitmonlee or a Electabuzz and need more candy for Omanyte. I would have actually been ok with that list. lol

At least no Eevees.

Flo_Evans

Yesterday on the whatsapp group, somebody did the thing of collecting nine 10km eggs to hatch them at the same time and they were about to hatch so he did a video when the moment came up and omfg, it was puuuuuredissapointement:

1 Jynx
2 Magmars
2 Onix
1 Omanyte
1 Pinsir
1 Hitmonlee
1 Electabuzz

We didn't even troll him after that, all on the group felt sorry for him instead lmao. All the money and time on collecting those eggs only for that. Everything is randomized when it comes to egg hatching or it has something to do where do you get them OR where do you open it once it's hatched??

I think the current theory is its random but decided when you recive the egg what it is. Some people think it's tied to the area the pokestop is in. Eggs shuffle in your bag so determining any sense from it is hard.

I think it's totally random. You don't always get an egg even with an empty slot, then random chance for 2, 5 or 10, then random what is in it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Got lucky with a 5 km egg today. Already hatched 2 digletts, but my third one today was a charm: gave me so much candy I could evolve him already. So I have a Dugtrio which is a good thing, because I've never seen a Diglett in the wild.

The game is dying down though. I put my Muk in a popular gym that I took down and it's still there after 12 hours.

Oxx

I've got two 10k eggs in the bag, over 300 pidgey candy ready to unleash, and some new evolutions to go for... but I can't bring myself to spend money on a lucky egg or another incubator at the moment.

I'll try to keep stockpiling until I run out of Pokemon space, but I'm just kinda waiting until Niantic offers something new.

I played without scanners for a very long time, but I started using FastPokeMap to scout for rare spawns when I'm not outside. The spawn points and nests in my town have been untouched by Niantic, and I've reliably caught Pokemon with the scans. This tracker works.

I've located the spawn points for Lapras and Snorlax, and I expect those Pokemon to show there repeatedly at their time stamp. I think tomorrow's hunt will be very efficient.

I played without scanners for a very long time, but I started using FastPokeMap to scout for rare spawns when I'm not outside. The spawn points and nests in my town have been untouched by Niantic, and I've reliably caught Pokemon with the scans. This tracker works.

I've located the spawn points for Lapras and Snorlax, and I expect those Pokemon to show there repeatedly at their time stamp. I think tomorrow's hunt will be very efficient.
I feel like I need to start using a scanner to keep up. Does it suck the fun out of playing? Tbh I wouldn't really call this game fun in the first place... what I enjoy is hunting for gyms I can take or slide in if friendly. Eyeing up the lineup and deciding "yeah I can take em" is what I enjoy.

I feel like I need to start using a scanner to keep up. Does it suck the fun out of playing? Tbh I wouldn't really call this game fun in the first place... what I enjoy is hunting for gyms I can take or slide in if friendly. Eyeing up the lineup and deciding "yeah I can take em" is what I enjoy.

scanners and twitter feeds have rekindled the game in SoCal. you wouldn't believe the shit show that goes on for a dragonite... I will post a video one of these days

Biske

Locking down gyms makes the game a lot less fun.

The drop in users it causes is massive. Lots of people at my work used to play, but once the nearby gyms were made level 10s it effectively locked out all the low level and casual players. For a lot of people the back and forth gym game seemed to be what gave them incentive to play.

Now it's just the same people in the same gyms for weeks now. Static and dead.

Also when you have the gym locked down. There is nothing left to do in the area but farm the common pokemon.

This game needs a ton of changes and fixes.

The game itself isn't very good (which we Al know) and the social part of the game can easily be ruined as I've stated above.

Charizard and Blastoise sure, but Venasaur is still the best grass type (with pure grass-type moveset) pkm out there.

Zen Headbutt is 6% better than Vine Whip and Exeggutor has 17% better base attack than Venusaur. Vine Whip would have to account for nearly all your damage (and Zen Headbutt for all Exeggutor's) for Venusaur to out damage Exeggutor even against a grass-weak, psychic neutral pokemon. Their tankiness is nearly identical (Venusaur holds just under a 3% edge). Victreebel also outdamages Venusaur by about 4.5%, but Venusaur is 30% tankier, which may or may not matter depending on how challenging the target is.

I went into a spreadsheet and adjusted Vine Whip's damage for super effective damage and Venusar's still 7% worse than Exeggutor.

The game hasn't really changed much. Rare spawns are still elusive, but the tracker has given me an idea of what is possible to catch though.

My town has nests for: Abra, Clefairy, Kabuto, Magikarp, Mankey, Pikachu, and Squirtle. I've been farming some of these for weeks now.

There are spawn points for Dratini and a handful of other rares, but some don't ever seem to show up. Among the 5km group, I have never seen Diglett, Sandshrew, or Ponyta in the wild. Several others are just very uncommon.

There are actually frequent spawn points for Eevee, Onix, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, and Scyther, so I don't want them from my 10km eggs.

Finally bit the bullet and evolved my first Growlithe :)
Fire Fang and Fire Blast :)
Should buy some lottery tickets later for celebration lol

jariw

Have now walked 1/3 of the required distance to evolve my Charmander. Will probably have my Charizard in about 2-3 weeks.

Zen Headbutt is 6% better than Vine Whip and Exeggutor has 17% better base attack than Venusaur. Vine Whip would have to account for nearly all your damage (and Zen Headbutt for all Exeggutor's) for Venusaur to out damage Exeggutor even against a grass-weak, psychic neutral pokemon. Their tankiness is nearly identical (Venusaur holds just under a 3% edge). Victreebel also outdamages Venusaur by about 4.5%, but Venusaur is 30% tankier, which may or may not matter depending on how challenging the target is.

I went into a spreadsheet and adjusted Vine Whip's damage for super effective damage and Venusar's still 7% worse than Exeggutor.

DPS is sooo overrated: Vine Whip is an infinitely better offensive move than Zen Headbutt. It's way faster, since you can land 3 attacks and still dodge the next enemy move, and it builds the charge bar more faster and more efficiently, while you often can't use Zen Headbutt twice without being hit (and you have to be extremely careful when the enemy charge attack is about to be unleashed). That and the better tankiness overcompensate the difference between base attacks. I'd take a vinewhip/SB Venasaur everytime to fight a Vaporeon army.

Of course, defensive-wise there's no contest.

JoeM86

Right, here are the unofficially documented additions to the game through the patch that have been found so far

Lowered the Settings & Tips icons so they can be pressed when the red error bar is displayed
Altered the animation when powering up a Pokémon
Altered the wait time required between making attacks in gyms (The times when you go to make a charge attack and it doesn't register are gone. It seems it queues them)

You guys notice anything new?

oti

Banned

I have a friend who uses some of those Apps on his iPhone. It's fun in a "let's go out and catch some stuff" kind of way, not in a relaxed "let's go for a walk" kind of way, the latter of which I greatly prefer. Since he started using the Apps he basically only plays when there's something he wants and he constantly checks up on the Apps to see all the Pokémon around him. He gets quite furious if he doesn't manage to catch something. I'd never want to end up like that but to him it's more fun than just walking around. He also feels like Nintendo "owns him" after he misses a Pokémon spawn, since the paid for the scanner Apps. I told him he's wrong and stupid but he won't listen.

I'd say try it out but don't let those Apps consume you.

Right, here are the unofficially documented additions to the game through the patch that have been found so far

Lowered the Settings & Tips icons so they can be pressed when the red error bar is displayed
Altered the animation when powering up a Pokémon
Altered the wait time required between making attacks in gyms (The times when you go to make a charge attack and it doesn't register are gone. It seems it queues them)

You guys notice anything new?

You cant see the number of candy you gonna get in the buddy screen anymore. They've deleted it. Not like its an addition though, just want to report haha :D

I really like that they've fixed the animation when powering up your pokemon. Ive lost some stardusts due to having some same Pokemon around :v..

Top Bottom