• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

kzn

Neo Member
god I lost to Lance on his final dragonite, and ever since then I've been getting RNG'd to crap before even reaching Clair >.>

Typhlosion 45
Gengar 44
Lugia 47
Wobbuffet 43
Gyrados 42
Scizor 46

halp

beje

Banned
kzn said:
god I lost to Lance on his final dragonite, and ever since then I've been getting RNG'd to crap before even reaching Clair >.>

Typhlosion 45
Gengar 44
Lugia 47
Wobbuffet 43
Gyrados 42
Scizor 46

halp

Stock in potions and revives, and spam them during the battle. Sand Attack and Smoke Bomb help a lot too.

kzn said:

Typhlosion 45
Gengar 44
Lugia 47
Wobbuffet 43
Gyrados 42
Scizor 46

halp
Does your Gyrados know Ice Fang? It should be able to take out Aerodactyl and Charizard by itself, with Ice Fang you might get some good hits on the Dragonites before one of them kills you with Thunder.

kzn

Neo Member
ice fang didn't OHKO either of them the last time I got to him, but I'm at him again so I'll give it another shot.

[edit] Success!

Wobbuffet is so broken rofl

[edit2] Cost me like 15 full restores and 10 revives just to get Wobbuffet into a position where he could survive long enough to land a Counter/Mirror Coat. I'm fairly certain Gyrados died about 4 times on the last 2 Dragonites.

Quagsire is great with only having a weakness to Grass. But yeah Starmie is really something in battles though.

Spr_4h_195_m.png

Firestorm

kzn said:

Typhlosion 45
Gengar 44
Lugia 47
Wobbuffet 43
Gyrados 42
Scizor 46

halp
Does Gyarados have Dragon Dance? With Dragon Dance + Water Fall or Aqua Tail + 2 attacks (Ice Fang / Earthquake?) you should be wrecking everything. At least that was the case in Diamond/Pearl.

I have a question regarding moves for Glalie. Glalie kinda sucks, but I still like it and it's fun to have a pure ice type. Now I certainly wont use it competetivly, but I still want to make the best out of it.

It's nature is Lonely so its Attack goes up and Defense down. I wont EV train it

So far it knows
Ice Fang (Phy - 65)
Crunch (Phy - 80)
Headbutt (Phy - 75)
Protect (Though I'll replace it with explosion once I get the TM)

Now I'm a little bit annoyed that Ice Fangs 65 in power is all I got. If I replace Ice Fang with Ice Beam, which has 95 in power but is also a Special Move, would that be stupid since his nature compliments physical attacks? How big is the difference?

kzn

Neo Member
The issue with Gyrados is that one Dragonite has Thunder, and Aerodactyl has Thunder Bite (or something like that), both of which OHKO'd me. None of my Water/Ice/Dragon moves were on a pokemon that wasn't at least 2x weak to Electric, let alone 4x.

I basically had to fight the last 2 pokemon by using the rest of my team to set up Wobbuffet's counters.

Slowbro/Slowking get my votes. Depending on what kind of defensive strategy you're looking for. (Kinig is special, Bro is physical). Slowking has shitty typing for what it does though, with all the Shadow Balls and Signal Beams running around. Slowbro does alright though, but Heracross makes you cry. Nothing Light Clay can't help with though.

Oh we AREN'T talking competitive play? Pick something fun, get a Lanturn or something. <3 that guy.

Also, I really miss the Poketch, Mostly just for the counter that's in there for EVs. Otherwise I need paper/ipod/computer to keep track. I dunno I just feel like D/P is much more friendly to hardcore trainers. Just look at how time consuming it is to get heart scales...

However I've yet to try out Battle Frontier, so I might eat my words.

EDIT:

kzn said:

Typhlosion 45
Gengar 44
Lugia 47
Wobbuffet 43
Gyrados 42
Scizor 46

halp
Does your Typhlosion have Lava Plume? Burn that level 50 Dragonite ASAP, it's a downhill battle from there. The only other pokemon that gave me trouble was the Aerodactyl.

trinest

Johnlenham said:
Why wont the bastard game hurry up an come out in the UK :( Why do they not do USA/UK release at the same time! so annoying.
4 more days for Australia as well, I can't wait any longer lol, I've gone poke-a-crazy.

Ookami-kun said:
So how much BP is earned on specific amount of matches?
Well each tower is different. But with the Battle tower for example: 3BP after 7 fights. The 21st match will be against Frontier Brain and will yield 20 BP if succeeding, from then on it's 4 BP every 7 fights.

Battle Factory is 4(or 5) BP per every 7 fights, but it takes a bit longer too.

Maccas

Every time a new Pokemon comes out I want to play it, recapture nostalgia of red/blue, whatever. Invariably I end up disappointed. Someone motivate me to play this one, c'mon, sell it to me guys.

1. The biggest and best adventure. 16 badges to collect, two regions in one game. Things to do everythwere!

2. The peak of 4th gen. The games have been tuned into being the best games of this gen. Small improvements everywhere, all the extra content from Platinum is here, new stuff such as Pokeathlon. Pokewalker breaks the 4th wall, as you can take your favorite pokemon with you and catch pokemon in real life(sorta).

3. In conclusion it's really the best from the old pokemon together with the best of the new pokemon.

Moobabe

Metroid Killer said:
1. The biggest and best adventure. 16 badges to collect, two regions in one game. Things to do everythwere!

2. The peak of 4th gen. The games have been tuned into being the best games of this gen. Small improvements everywhere, all the extra content from Platinum is here, new stuff such as Pokeathlon. Pokewalker breaks the 4th wall, as you can take your favorite pokemon with you and catch pokemon in real life(sorta).

3. In conclusion it's really the best from the old pokemon together with the best of the new pokemon.

Sounds awesome. Can anyone post a link describing the complexities that you're all talking about? I mean, I know how to play pokemon, but you guys seem on another level. I just catch the ones that look cool :D

ivysaur12

Banned
Metroid Killer said:

There's nothing I would want more than real Pokemon. That, or going to Hogwarts.

Moobabe said:
Sounds awesome. Can anyone post a link describing the complexities that you're all talking about? I mean, I know how to play pokemon, but you guys seem on another level. I just catch the ones that look cool :D
Actually I'm just playing casually hardcore (in contrast to competetive hardcore :lol fucking gaming terms). This is my first pokemon game since Red, and I'm just trying to get as much out of the main game as possible, going about it pretty relaxed. When I first got the game in january there were so many things I didn't know about such as Natures, EV, IV, egg moves, etc., but it's pretty easy to understand though. I don't go out of my way to get THE PERFECT stats for my pokemon, as I just want to enjoy the main game.

Sixfortyfive has written a really great thread about the more advanced mechanics of pokemon.

Gravijah

Wiseblade said:
Screw Hogwarts! Real life Empoleon in my pocket is the stuff dreams are made of.

I was always the kid who dreamed of living in magical worlds like Pokemon. This really makes me long for another Pokemon Snap...

Even my girlfriend talks about how awesome it would be to have pokemon in real life.

Imagine having your pet doing all these crazy things together with you walking around, playing in the grass, suddenly this guy shows up!

Cubone.jpg

He challenges you to an epic duel, and after putting up a great fight you throw a ball at him and capture him!!

And this is only the beginning for your quest to discover all the amazing creatures... fuck I'm gonna have pokemon dreams tonight!

Metroid Killer said:
This is basically it for me. It's like they decided to throw in everything amazing from every one of the Pokemon games for some reason. Plus they added a ton of new things. The Pokewalker, the ability to have Pokemon follow you, and a couple of choice secrets. If you've played the originals, including Gen 1, you'll see new things everywhere, too.

This game to me feels much more like it's more about the Pokemon than the training. You constantly have one following you, and you check on it to see if it likes you, you can put it in the Pokewalker, carry it with you on a stroll, and you get a cute little story to boot...

However, I think you should get the game for the Pokewalker, if anything. It's a great little device.

Gravijah said:
Was I the only kid who pronounced Farfetch'd as "Farfetch D"?
No, you weren't! :lol I was legitimately shocked when I heard "far-fetched" in the anime as a kid. It was a facepalm moment for me.

Gravijah

Inferno313 said:
I might've if I hadn't seen the anime first. :lol

I played the games and collected the cards first. The anime came on a station we didn't have, and when we did get it, I'd have my father wake up when he went to work so I could hit record. Just for nostalgia sake, the first episode of Pokemon I ever watched was the episode where Mankey stole Ash's hat.

Well I was not ready for the E4, or to be more specific, I was not ready for the Champion. I plowed right through the rest of them though. I guess I can't avoid grinding any longer. Everyone in my party needs to be at least 45 before I try again.

Metroid Killer said:
I didn't and english isn't even my main language

Two of them can stall the battle.

Only if they are the last two, because Shadow Tag no longer works on Shadow Tag Pokemon.

The real reason is that Wobbuffet can be ev'ed to take down any wall in the metagame. It can also be combined with any sweeper for devastating results. Wobbuffet is also uncounterable, unless you stick shed shell on all of your Pokemon.

Here are several of the things that Wobbuffet can do:

Wall X used attack move
Wobb switch in
Wobb encore
Wobb counter/mirror coat
Wall X died

Hahahahahaha now u can't counter my sweeper!!!

Wall X used non-attacking move
Wobb switch in
Wobb Encore
Wobb switch out
Sweeper Y sent in
Free stat boost
Sweeper Y preceded to destroy the opponents entire team

It eliminated skill, and created a stupid metagame where you had to pack 3 or more counters to a specific sweeper. One for the sweeper, one for wobb, and one for backup.

People were using Dugtrio with Toxic just to stop the damn thing.

Fewr

Metroid Killer said:

I don't think that could be considered breaking the fourth wall. It is more about what Flower, Sun and Rain does.

^Yeah you are right I used the wrong term.. I can't even think of what term to use, but anyway, the pokewalker is awesome!

So is Ice Beam a waste over Ice Fang on a Lonely Glalie? Anyone?

Fewr

Yes, the pokewalker is a great addition. It is actually something I thought they'd implement since after the release of the first pocket pickachu.

Wiseblade

Metroid Killer said:
^Yeah you are right I used the wrong term.. I can't even think of what term to use, but anyway, the pokewalker is awesome!

So is Ice Beam a waste over Ice Fang on a Lonely Glalie? Anyone?

I dunno, what are its Atk and S.Atk? If attack has a large lead then don't bother with Ice Beam.

Wiseblade said:
I dunno, what are its Atk and S.Atk? If attack has a large lead then don't bother with Ice Beam.
Attack is 113, Special is 93...
When you look at a Pokemon's stats are the changes of the natures included as well?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wiseblade said:

Ice Beam's higher base power usually make it the better option, especially since his nature doesn't hinder his Special Attack (and Glalie's stats are equal all around).

beje said:
How do I restore power on the Power Plant? (japanese game, I don't have a clue)
The Power Plant's chief or something says that they got a machine part stolen. Go to Cerulean and on the Nugget Bridge(I think) you'll battle a team rocket member. After beating him he'll run off to the gym where he'll drop the stolen machine part. You can then find it in the pool.(japanese game, high five!)

CoolS

silverbullet1080 said:
If you guys have windows 7 and a wifi card, you can download this and turn your laptop/computer into a hotspot.

While I (sadly :( ) couldn't get this to work with my DSi, thanks to you I finally can go online again with my Wii! Thank you SOOOO much!!

Fugu

kzn said:
The issue with Gyrados is that one Dragonite has Thunder, and Aerodactyl has Thunder Bite (or something like that), both of which OHKO'd me. None of my Water/Ice/Dragon moves were on a pokemon that wasn't at least 2x weak to Electric, let alone 4x.

I basically had to fight the last 2 pokemon by using the rest of my team to set up Wobbuffet's counters.
I'm sure this is no longer relevant, but...

You can/should counter this by using the other team's gyarados as an opportunity to DD your own gyarados; you know he can't take you out in one hit (it's likely that his most effective attack against you will be dragon rage) so you should use that and buff your own gyarados so much that it goes before and knocks out every other pokemon in one hit. I one hit KO'd literally the entire elite four with my gyarados.

beje

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
The Power Plant's chief or something says that they got a machine part stolen. Go to Cerulean and on the Nugget Bridge(I think) you'll battle a team rocket member. After beating him he'll run off to the gym where he'll drop the stolen machine part. You can then find it in the pool.(japanese game, high five!)

I battled him but then, I went further there and triggered the Misty scene that makes she return to the gym, so I think I broke the game because I checked every single square in the pool and there's nothing.

;__;

beje said:
I battled him but then, I went further there and triggered the Misty scene that makes she return to the gym, so I think I broke the game because I checked every single square in the pool and there's nothing.

;__;
Sorry I was being rather vague with my describtion. It's in the top left corner inside the gym, around some tubes. Good luck!

beje said:

;__;

that bug is still there?????

fuck, i gotta be carefull

Edit:

The bug i got in silver was that i could never trigger the misty scene in bill`s house

Top Bottom