• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Harpuia

Big Ass Ramp said:
Gah, how do I get to Jasmine and Amphoros? They're in the lighthouse with a locked door blocking me from them.

In the...third floor I believe? There is a window in which you can jump out. I was all FFFFFFFFFF- They changed it. So I was crashing myself along the walls hoping for something to happen...and, well, I discovered the window like that. :lol

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Harpuia said:
In the...third floor I believe? There is a window in which you can jump out. I was all FFFFFFFFFF- They changed it. So I was crashing myself along the walls hoping for something to happen...and, well, I discovered the window like that. :lol

Gravijah said:
There will be a door near the top, it's on the east of the map, so it's really hard to see.

Oh WTF?! How was I supposed to see that?! Thank you!

Yottamole

Banned
Intel's My WiFi allows up to 8 devices to connect to your computer and share its Internet connection...even if the computer is using WiFi itself. Has anyone tried it? Unfortunately, it seems to work with only certain Intel WiFi cards.

Animatik

Neo Member
Currently in the Team Rocket hide out in Mahogany, having that giant red Gyrados behind is freaken awesome but don't think ill make make him part of my team since I am going to carry Quagssire as my main water and because it has a funny looking face.
Team so far:

lv32 Quilava
lv30 Ampharos
lv28 Quagssire
lv26 Gloom
and the last 2 slots HM pokes

cdyhybrid

Should I replace Hoothoot with Togepi (eventually becoming Togekiss)? Some random reading makes it seem like Togekiss is pretty awesome. I'm at Whitney right now. Current team is:

Heracross (staying for a long time)
Quilava (staying)
Flaaffy (staying)
Butterfree (staying until I find something better, but that might not be for a while)
Hoothoot (just there for flying-type coverage and will eventually be my Fly-er)
Wooper (water/ground coverage for now, will end up being an HM slave most likely)

Edit: Also, what should I evolve Eevee into and who should I replace with it?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Should I Pal Park transfer my lv46 Venosaur from LG? I'm not sure if I'll play LG again but what are some good grass Pokemon aside from Venosaur? I'd like to keep it there, just in case.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Aigis said:
Should I Pal Park transfer my lv46 Venosaur from LG? I'm not sure if I'll play LG again but what are some good grass Pokemon aside from Venosaur? I'd like to keep it there, just in case.
Have you beaten LeafGreen (including the E4 rematches)? If so, or if you at least have strong Pokemon remaining on the GBA cart, then I don't see why not.

Axis

aw fuck does anyone have an extremespeed dratini egg they'll trade or something? the guy gave me a regular one

trinest

Sixfortyfive said:
Have you beaten LeafGreen (including the E4 rematches)? If so, or if you at least have strong Pokemon remaining on the GBA cart, then I don't see why not.
I'm going to trade over all my Pokemon from Pearl as well (which I've already Pal Packed the majorty of my pokemon too)- theres not much which I have on the cart so it wouldn't be hard.

I've finished it and I probably wont go back to it- expecially considering G/S/C was my favorite gen.

Sixfortyfive

I might transfer most of my stuff over from Plat to Gold eventually, but my in-game team of six stays. It just doesn't feel right to move those guys off of their native save file unless I'm restarting the game for some reason.

I will probably leave most of my breeding/training stuff on Plat too. From what I've heard and witnessed so far, training is going to be slightly less of a hassle on Plat than HGSS.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ok, i've been holding back playing for a while, and really cranked up yesterday. Haven't really had much time with the pokewalker, but ive been having fun. Just beat morty. And have a pretty balanced team of croconaw, ariados, gengar, elekid, crobat, and houndoom. All at levels 24/25. I forgot how fun this gen is, although everyone with a phone seems to be borderline retarded.

fisheyes

fucking Pokewalker. I've been trying to get a damn Smoochum, but even when I get it down to 1HP it still wouldn't catch. Then I fucking did it, went to move my cursor across to switch with the Pokemon on the left, and accidently pushed the button twice. Bye bye Smoochum. And 60w later and I can't get another one.

EDIT: Should have vented earlier, I caught it next go. Still, what a waste of 70w.

I'm thinking about getting this tomorrow and I got some questions.

1. Can you get online with this game through a router using WPA? I have a NWFC dongle but, I'd rather not mess with it.

2. Can I bring in Pokemon from the GBA games if I play on a DSL?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Sixfortyfive said:
Nope. I think I'll do it anyways, I don't think I'll go back to LG because GSC is my favorite gen and there's a lot of improvements made (RUN TOGGLE!) that would make going back too hard.

Wiseblade

Oni Link 666 said:
I'm thinking about getting this tomorrow and I got some questions.

1. Can you get online with this game through a router using WPA? I have a NWFC dongle but, I'd rather not mess with it.

2. Can I bring in Pokemon from the GBA games if I play on a DSL?

1) nope, sorry.

2) yes you can. and the no daily restriction either.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So um... how do I earn BP? I have tried to entered into Hall section and reached up to 10th fight, retired, but got no BP. I went to the Factory section, won up to 3 fights before losing, and still no BP.

isny

napkin dispenser
Slugma and Murkrow available if anyone wants em. I also still have an Abra or two available. The Abra's are from the game corner, and the Slugma and Murkrow were both caught in the tiny patch of grass in SS that has em.

Just PM.

Sixfortyfive

Ookami-kun said:
So um... how do I earn BP? I have tried to entered into Hall section and reached up to 10th fight, retired, but got no BP. I went to the Factory section, won up to 3 fights before losing, and still no BP.
You have to win a certain number of matches in a row before you earn anything. For most facilities, you need 7 wins, after which you can save and quit and come back to continue the streak later. I think it's 10 wins for the Hall but I'm not sure on that. It's been a while.

Gravijah

Sixfortyfive said:
You have to win a certain number of matches in a row before you earn anything. For most facilities, you need 7 wins, after which you can save and quit and come back to continue the streak later. I think it's 10 wins for the Hall but I'm not sure on that. It's been a while.

How hard are those places anyways? I've never really messed with them.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Just caught Entei. What a toughie. Used up 20 Dark Balls. (caught him on my last one :D)

I used the Smeargle/Breloom combo. Thanks again 645. Worked perfectly.

NOW FOR RAIKOUUUUUU

My Entei has a Quiet nature. Is that bad?

Sixfortyfive

Gravijah said:
How hard are those places anyways? I've never really messed with them.
The Tower is middle of the road. Fairly easy until the 1st brain battle (match 21), moderately difficult until the 2nd (match 49), and pretty goddamn hard afterward unless you've built a team specifically for it. You need 100 consecutive wins in this facility to earn one of the ribbons and a trainer card upgrade (if you care about that sort of thing). The best I've ever done is about 115 wins. The Smogonites have completely broken the game if you're interested in reading up on some team strategy.

The Castle and Arcade are relatively easy. You can earn and spend points in the former to make things easier on yourself (getting a sneak peak at the opponent's lineup/stats, buying hold items, etc), and it's not too difficult to manipulate the board effects in the latter, at least for the streaks leading up to the 2nd frontier brain battle.

The Hall is easy if you put in the work for it. It's nothing but 1-on-1 Pokemon battles, and you have to use one Pokemon to defeat 10 Pokemon of every elemental type to clear it. This obviously means that you're going to have to deal with some really bad matchups, but you don't have to use the same exact Pokemon in every 10-match streak. If you're really crazy about it, you can create 17 different Pokemon of the same species, each of them built specifically for handling one enemy type. Or you can just do what all the cool kids did and just build a Salamence/Garchomp for handling any situation.

The Factory is difficult. You have to pick from a set of pre-trained Pokemon to use, and you can exchange these Pokemon for those you defeat after every match. It's probably the most "useful" facility in that you can experiment with a large variety of already trained Pokemon without putting in any effort to train them yourself, but as far as building a winning streak goes, you're shit out of luck here. Pray that you get an overpowered legendary so that you can steamroll everyone.

Gravijah

Dogenzaka said:
Just caught Entei. What a toughie. Used up 20 Dark Balls. (caught him on my last one :D)

I used the Smeargle/Breloom combo. Thanks again 645. Worked perfectly.

NOW FOR RAIKOUUUUUU

My Entei has a Quiet nature. Is that bad?

Quiet raises SP ATK but lowers SPD. Entei's highest stats are ATK and SPD so...

upandaway

Sixfortyfive said:
The Tower is middle of the road. Fairly easy until the 1st brain battle (match 21), moderately difficult until the 2nd (match 49), and pretty goddamn hard afterward unless you've built a team specifically for it. You need 100 consecutive wins in this facility to earn one of the ribbons and a trainer card upgrade (if you care about that sort of thing). The best I've ever done is about 115 wins. The Smogonites have completely broken the game if you're interested in reading up on some team strategy.

The Castle and Arcade are relatively easy. You can earn and spend points in the former to make things easier on yourself (getting a sneak peak at the opponent's lineup/stats, buying hold items, etc), and it's not too difficult to manipulate the board effects in the latter, at least for the streaks leading up to the 2nd frontier brain battle.

The Hall is easy if you put in the work for it. It's nothing but 1-on-1 Pokemon battles, and you have to use one Pokemon to defeat 10 Pokemon of every elemental type to clear it. This obviously means that you're going to have to deal with some really bad matchups, but you don't have to use the same exact Pokemon in every 10-match streak. If you're really crazy about it, you can create 17 different Pokemon of the same species, each of them built specifically for handling one enemy type. Or you can just do what all the cool kids did and just build a Salamence/Garchomp for handling any situation.

The Factory is difficult. You have to pick from a set of pre-trained Pokemon to use, and you can exchange these Pokemon for those you defeat after every match. It's probably the most "useful" facility in that you can experiment with a large variety of already trained Pokemon without putting in any effort to train them yourself, but as far as building a winning streak goes, you're shit out of luck here. Pray that you get an overpowered legendary so that you can steamroll everyone.
Say, if you kill a Pokemon in a Frontier battle, do you get a prompt to switch? Only in certain facilities?

I'm asking because I still have my Metagross and Aerodactyl I bred a while back for the tower but they're both choice sweepers, and they'll be much harder to use if I can't switch.

Dogenzaka said:
So it's shit? Great. :lol

There's no way to manipulate that though, is there? It's a roaming legendary.
Isn't the nature determined after you catch it? What's the difference from any other legendary?

Sixfortyfive

Dogenzaka said:
So it's shit? Great. :lol

There's no way to manipulate that though, is there? It's a roaming legendary.
Defeat it instead of catch it, respawn it, try again. It's the only way to get new stats for them. All of their stats are random and none of them can be influenced at all outside of RNG abuse. It's a lot of work, more than most sane people would be willing to put up with.

upandaway said:
Say, if you kill a Pokemon in a Frontier battle, do you get a prompt to switch? Only in certain facilities?

I'm asking because I still have my Metagross and Aerodactyl I bred a while back for the tower but they're both choice sweepers, and they'll be much harder to use if I can't switch.
No free switches, no item bag use. The Frontier uses link battle rules.

Gravijah

Sixfortyfive said:
Defeat it instead of catch it, respawn it, try again. It's the only way to get new stats for them. All of their stats are random and none of them can be influenced at all outside of RNG abuse. It's a lot of work, more than most sane people would be willing to put up with.

Do sane people actually RNG?

The Battle Frontier is cool, but wow in the beginning I just went in there with my random team (most of them below lvl 50 :lol ), and I was so shocked that it was so hard. Plus the fact that I wanted 100+ BP for great moves, which just seemed impossible at that point. But after some time, I can see that it really did sharpen my battle skills (which I had none of before), and I got a lot of awesome moves :D

^I did use Metagross and he was able to blast through most opponments.

Sixfortyfive

Gravijah said:
Do sane people actually RNG?
Probably not.

I'm reading that Tyranitar Battle Hall post I linked to again. The chat log is hilarious stuff if you've actually tried to go for the full 170-win streak. The matron really does break the whole point of the place. "You thought you got all of the disadvantageous match-ups out of the way? LOL NO! Watch as I just randomly happen to pick one of the only two fighting Pokemon that you are guaranteed to lose against! Game over, 169 wins."

Top Bottom