• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

cvxfreak

beje said:
I battled him but then, I went further there and triggered the Misty scene that makes she return to the gym, so I think I broke the game because I checked every single square in the pool and there's nothing.

;__;

I believe you have to check one of the
donut-shaped floatation devices

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sixfortyfive said:
The Factory is difficult. You have to pick from a set of pre-trained Pokemon to use, and you can exchange these Pokemon for those you defeat after every match. It's probably the most "useful" facility in that you can experiment with a large variety of already trained Pokemon without putting in any effort to train them yourself, but as far as building a winning streak goes, you're shit out of luck here. Pray that you get an overpowered legendary so that you can steamroll everyone.

Wha? It isn't hard at all! Just pick the Pokemon you think look/sound good and go in. If you go against a Pokemon that stone walls you, trade for that one one on your team that you don't give a damn about.

I have come to learn to love the Slowking because of it. :lol

And yes, it's the most fun facility for trying out Pokemon you wouldn't think of otherwise.

I think the only problem is it gives you only one type per round, so you switch Pokemon to all one type (which is easily possible in this) you'll get steamrolled by a counter type the next match. :lol

Wow. Why is Wobbuffet a banned pokemon?

Encore. Encore. OH GOD WE CAN ENCORE FOREVER!

(Well that and it's easily the best Pokemon if you are a master of prediction)

Wobba! *slaps self with Navy salute*

beje

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
Sorry I was being rather vague with my describtion. It's in the top left corner inside the gym, around some tubes. Good luck!

Yup, it's there. Pokémon games always scare the fuck out of me with the chance of random game-breaking bugs happening just because you forgot to talk to some NPC and went forward instead.

I have a question.

I had never heard of RNG before now, and upon looking into it, what the hell is the point? If you have to hack to abuse the RNG, why not just straight up hack? Do people think that some amount of honor is maintained by cheating a system that is supposed to keep things random, through the use of hacked information no less?

beje

Banned
BurritoBushido said:
I have a question.

I had never heard of RNG before now, and upon looking into it, what the hell is the point? If you have to hack to abuse the RNG, why not just straight up hack? Do people think that some amount of honor is maintained by cheating a system that is supposed to keep things random, through the use of hacked information no less?

Welcome to the awesome world of hardcore competitive Pokémon, where every fucking one hacks their savegame to hell and back but nobody will ever admit it.

I really hope they make the savegame file completely encrypted in Gen 5 so everything that was supposed to be random stays so. Either that, or make EVs/IVs and all that shit completely visible and explained so everybody (and not just script kiddies/full of spare time nerds) have the same chances.

beje said:
Welcome to the awesome world of hardcore competitive Pokémon, where every fucking one hacks their savegame to hell and back but nobody will ever admit it.

I really hope they make the savegame file completely encrypted in Gen 5 so everything that was supposed to be random stays so. Either that, or make EVs/IVs and all that shit completely visible and explained so everybody (and not just script kiddies/full of spare time nerds) have the same chances.

Yeah I got that. That's why I don't play competitive. I just don't get why people would go through so much work to only partially hack. Once you hack in the slightest you might as well go all the way.

Edit: Ok so after looking into it more I realize that there are ways of deducing your secret ID without hacking. Still abusing the RNG seems kinda lame

Echoes

isny said:
Slugma and Murkrow available if anyone wants em. I also still have an Abra or two available. The Abra's are from the game corner, and the Slugma and Murkrow were both caught in the tiny patch of grass in SS that has em.

Just PM.
Do you still have the Murkrow? If so, yes please. I have a Dusk Stone and seriously want a Hunchkrow.

Hex

Banned
Just need to go on record again and say how great SS and HG really are.
Everthing feels so fresh even though I myself have done it twice (Platinum and Soul Silver) and many of you have done it many more times than that.
I really can not wait for the next gen of Pokemon.
(Barely past the fourth gym too :lol )

Is it a good idea to replace Tackle with Cut for my Bayleef? I mean, I do need a good, sort little normal move that will take that last bit of HP away, without wasting PP on my good moves.

TheSeks

Fucking Steelix. Stone walling my Qulava. Fucking fuck. If it isn't the Magenimite thundering me, it's the goddamn Steelix Steel Tailing me. FFFFFFF.

Wichu

beje said:
The save file is already encrypted (but there's a way past every method of encryption).
However, I'm assuming you meant that the RNG should be made more random. I believe the RNG is simple because it is used often; a complex one might cause slowdown. There's a separate RNG formula used when an egg is generated which uses a more random algorithm than the standard; if the developers were so fussed about randomness, why didn't they use that for everything?
BurritoBushido said:
Yeah I got that. That's why I don't play competitive. I just don't get why people would go through so much work to only partially hack. Once you hack in the slightest you might as well go all the way.

Edit: Ok so after looking into it more I realize that there are ways of deducing your secret ID without hacking. Still abusing the RNG seems kinda lame
You don't need your secret ID if you're only interested in IVs. The only thing you need your SID for is for getting shinies.

Does anyone have a Growlithe to trade? preferrably a low level or egg. I love growlithe but I have SS, and I don't have one on my diamond game. I'm getting beat by Bugsy (sad, I know) and a fire pokemon would kick his ass. PM me or reply, thanks!

Somnid

Right now I just want the next Pokemon to use the new NAND DS carts. Faster saving plus bigger save files would really help. I'm guessing it was just cost/space-prohibitive since they already have the IR part in the cart plus the Pokewalker.

OMG Aero

It saddens me that Wobbuffet is classed as an uber. It's one of my favourite Johto Pokemon but I can't use it without feeling like I'm cheating.

Ok Lance seriously has some major hax on his side. Static never went off, Discharge never paralyzed, his low accuracy moves never missed once, he went 12 turns in a row without being paralyzed...

The only way I'll win is if I raise my lapras a high enough level, choice scarf it, and then ice beam everything.

Does serebii list the stats that the E4 Pokemon have? I need to run some calculations to see what level she needs to be.

Wichu

Obsessed said:
Ok Lance seriously has some major hax on his side. Static never went off, Discharge never paralyzed, his low accuracy moves never missed once, he went 12 turns in a row without being paralyzed...

The only way I'll win is if I raise my lapras a high enough level, choice scarf it, and then ice beam everything.

Does serebii list the stats that the E4 Pokemon have? I need to run some calculations to see what level she needs to be.
They should all be neutral-natured, with no IVs or EVs. Use your favourite stat calculator.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Blu_LED said:
Is it a good idea to replace Tackle with Cut for my Bayleef? I mean, I do need a good, sort little normal move that will take that last bit of HP away, without wasting PP on my good moves.

Someone will need Cut anyways, and Bayleef (and evolution) don't exactly have the best movepool. You can always erase it later in the game, when you might feel like teaching it Earthquake TM, or something else.

TheSeks

TheSeks said:
Fucking Steelix. Stone walling my Qulava. Fucking fuck. If it isn't the Magenimite thundering me, it's the goddamn Steelix Steel Tailing me. FFFFFFF.

Fuck, level up to 34, one level under it. She switches out to it and Iron Tails me.

FFFFFFFF. Is Fire suddenly that weak against a Steelix?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
TheSeks said:
Wha? It isn't hard at all! Just pick the Pokemon you think look/sound good and go in. If you go against a Pokemon that stone walls you, trade for that one one on your team that you don't give a damn about.
The Factory is absolutely the most difficult facility when it comes to just getting the colored print (49 win streak). I needed to use a cheat sheet with data on all of the NPC Pokemon in order to do it.

BurritoBushido said:
I have a question.

You don't need to hack at all, and doubly so if you don't care about shinies.

Wichu

TheSeks said:
Fuck, level up to 34, one level under it. She switches out to it and Iron Tails me.

FFFFFFFF. Is Fire suddenly that weak against a Steelix?
Which Fire move are you using? You'll want to use a special move rather than a physical one (Steelix has something like 200 base defense). Isn't there a Fire TM you can buy in Goldenrod?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Meh, I haven't even beat Bugsy in Azalea Town yet.

Seven and a half hours and I still haven't entered Union Cave :)

This game is marvelous, incidentally. I'm having a real blast :) . My team thus far is:

Totodile
Quilava [Cinnamon]
Flaffy
Kangaskhan
Nidoran (M)
Togepi

But as soon as I reach the breeding lass I'll be getting myself a Wynaut to replace 'khan. Lugia and Tyranitar will fill in for the bottom two. So exciting :D

Fugu

beje said:

This is one of the dumbest posts I've read on this forum.

1. Not everybody hacks. I don't have statistics but neither do you so this shouldn't even be a point.
2. EVs aren't difficult to learn about; the amount of resources out there to explain them for you are so numerous that you should not have difficulty understanding them. Hell, the game alludes to them several times (rare candies, vitamins, power items, effort ribbon).
2. IVs, too, aren't difficult to learn about, and the large number of calculators out there should mean that these aren't a problem.
4. Spare time nerds? What?

BurritoBushido said:
I have a question.

You can abuse the RNG without modifying your game at all. In fact, if you have ever saved and reloaded your game after getting an undesirable result, you have "abused" the RNG.

TheSeks

Wichu said:
Which Fire move are you using? You'll want to use a special move rather than a physical one (Steelix has something like 200 base defense). Isn't there a Fire TM you can buy in Goldenrod?

Flame Wheel, which is Special, IIRC.

Sixfortyfive

Flame Wheel is physical.

On a related note, Typhlosion sucks. If I knew that I'd only have one good attacking move via level-up by the E4, I'd have made him an HM slave.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sixfortyfive said:
Flame Wheel is physical.

On a related note, Typhlosion sucks. If I knew that I'd only have one good attacking move via level-up by the E4, I'd have made him an HM slave.

Typhlosion always ends up with Rock Smash/Cut for me, and usually Fire Blast as his lone 'real attacking' move. Which is all he really needs, but he runs out of PP quickly. If you're really reaching for another move Focus Blast is okay, and of course the Sunny Day/Solarbeam combo.

Kad5

I sent over my pikachu colored pichu. Will that be a good electric type?

Also, I got a female nidoran recently. Are those any good?

Kad5 said:

I personally prefer Nidoking as he has more offensive power. Nidoqueen is a decent Pokemon though.

Pikachu is decent with a Light Ball, otherwise don't bother with it.

edit: My Pokemon are almost near level 40! Soon I will have my revenge on Lance!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Am I sequence breaking? I went from Lt. Surge to Sabrina to Janine and I just went up cycling path to Celadon. :lol

OMG Aero

Andrex said:
Am I sequence breaking? I went from Lt. Surge to Sabrina to Janine and I just went up cycling path to Celadon. :lol
No, in Gold and Silver you tackle the Kanto gym leaders in a completely different order than in Red and Blue.

Sixfortyfive

GG Hatchet. For just a moment I thought you broke species clause. :lol

Seems I was winning a lot of base speed ties.

Kad5 said:

It depends what you want to do with it, but there are some better electric if you can fully evolve them(Magnezone, Electivire).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OMG Aero said:
No, in Gold and Silver you tackle the Kanto gym leaders in a completely different order than in Red and Blue.

I knew that but I thought I was supposed to go to the Power Plant or something and it'd make Misty/Goldenrod leader appear.

Where is the Power Plant anyways? North of Lavender? I didn't want to go there because there's a cave in the way. I hate caves. :lol Even with Max Repel.

TheSeks

Andrex said:
I knew that but I thought I was supposed to go to the Power Plant or something and it'd make Misty/Goldenrod leader appear.

Where is the Power Plant anyways? North of Lavender? I didn't want to go there because there's a cave in the way. I hate caves. :lol Even with Max Repel.

Between Misty and the Graveyard.

Kad5

Are togekiss's any good?

I transfered my togekiss from platinum. Although I am wondering if the togepi you get in soulsilver is much better....

Top Bottom