• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

thefil

So I went to hunt a Ditto to replace the one I traded away. Who should show up but Raikou. Thinking there was no way I was equipped to catch him, I threw one Dusk Ball in a laughable attempt.

I now have a Raikou.

kzn

Neo Member
thefil said:
So I went to hunt a Ditto to replace the one I traded away. Who should show up but Raikou. Thinking there was no way I was equipped to catch him, I threw one Dusk Ball in a laughable attempt.

I now have a Raikou.

Glorious.

Teknoman

thefil said:

I now have a Raikou.

61924922.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rocked old man Pryce's ass with the Typholosion that evolved in the gym itself before him. Fire Blast + Three pokemon = asshole torn a new one.

Dude took out my Typholosion with his Dewgong, throw out Muscle (about a couple levels under it). I knew Pryce was going to full heal so I "MUSCLE IS GETTING PUMPED!" that turn. Set up revenge, Dewgong Auroa Beams.

"OSHIT OSHIT OSHIT--NO!"
(Muscle Survives the Beam)
Muscle used Revenge!
(Smack)
SSSSSSHHHHHHHHOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM... BOOM! 0 HP

Dewgong has fainted!

So awesome. :lol Gotta do the Radio Tower in a bit, hopefully doesn't take long so I can get to the next gym and worry about the E4 and finally get to Kanto. >_>

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nice job, Aero. I did that at one point from the first 151, but I started to realise that I had to have at least 8 boxes for my EV trained, IV bred Pokemon (4 for teams, 4 for 'reserves' and breeding stuff like dittos and synchronizers).. so.. I wouldn't really have the space. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EvilMario said:
Nice job, Aero. I did that at one point from the first 151, but I started to realise that I had to have at least 8 boxes for my EV trained, IV bred Pokemon (4 for teams, 4 for 'reserves' and breeding stuff like dittos and synchronizers).. so.. I wouldn't really have the space. :lol

I'm being pushed more and more into buying HG in addition to my SS and this may be the deciding issue. :lol

PounchEnvy said:
Okay so GAF I need some help. What's better Octillery or Starmie?

Really, like someone above said, Starmie is overall much better, but Octillery is so much cooler. I ended up using one for my first playthrough of the JPN HeartGold because I had never used one before...pretty kickass.

If you're going for a competitive team, though, use Starmie.

Kad5

What are some good fire types you can get in Johto? Right now im in ecruteak. Also, im thinking of getting a slowking but I already have a crocanaw as a water type...should i just use hypno as a makeshift psychic type instead?

Jeels

Kad5 said:
What are some good fire types you can get in Johto? Right now im in ecruteak. Also, im thinking of getting a slowking but I already have a crocanaw as a water type...should i just use hypno as a makeshift psychic type instead?

Vulpix or Arcanine depending on your game of choice. Magby is available on the Pokewalker, but you can catch its evolution in that burned tower in Ecruteak. I know I'm forgetting one too...

Whoo-hoo! Just took down the champ. Really glad he didn't have/use
Earthquake
since my best two Pokemon would've died easily. The first few Elite 4 members got a lot of accuracy hax despite my Sand Attack efforts. But I got a lot of beneficial parahax in the last battle so it balances out. :D

Kad5

Jeels said:
Vulpix or Arcanine depending on your game of choice. Magby is available on the Pokewalker, but you can catch its evolution in that burned tower in Ecruteak. I know I'm forgetting one too...

Ok well what about my slowpoke dilemma...is it a bad idea to have a phychic/water and a water type in the same team?

Axis

ok so after finding 5 old ambers and 3 helix fossils in the ruins of alph...

do the fossils you find after you get the national dex pop up there or no? if not, what's the best place to look for fossils otherwise?

Jeels

Kad5 said:
Ok well what about my slowpoke dilemma...is it a bad idea to have a phychic/water and a water type in the same team?

Well, it'd certainly help diversify your party more to have as many types covered as possible, or characters that can attack in a variety of moves (Starme).

Doing some grinding before attempting the 8th gym. 26 hours so far. Not nearly as long to get to the Elite 4 as Platinum and Diamond took, but having Kanto afterwards makes up for it.

The nostalgia isn't hitting me the same way it is for you guys. I played Silver back when it came out and adored it, playing SoulSilver now isn't giving me the same feeling as the original, feels too sterile in terms of tone and style.

I'm still loving it though, possibly the best Pokemon game since G/S.

Kyzer

Banned
Anyone try using the radio during the whole debacle? Idk if this was in the old games, but it fixes a lot of atmosphere issues i used to have. lol

TheSeks

Kyzer said:
Anyone try using the radio during the whole debacle? Idk if this was in the old games, but it fixes a lot of atmosphere issues i used to have. lol

What Team Rocket taking it over? That was in the old games as well. (But I don't think they were looking for Giovanni)

OMG Aero said:
Oh man I have been wishing so much for one of these (Although I was hoping more for a Bulbapedia one or even a iPhone friendly version of their site).
Anyone fancy taking the plunge and seeing what the app is like?
It's perfectly usable. Lacks location rates and type effectiveness, though. Could also use some usability tweaking. Hopefully updates will amend those issues.

Especially useful for me, since I don't have internet on the go. But always have my DS/iPhone with me.

cvxfreak

Something I never quite understood:

Why did Blue get demoted to Viridian Gym Leader, while Bruno, Koga and Lance, who were both defeated by Blue, moved up in ranking? Even Koga was always a strange choice for moving up, since Sabrina would totally toast him and then some. :p

cvxfreak said:

Why did Blue get demoted to Viridian Gym Leader, while Bruno, Koga and Lance, who were both defeated by Blue, moved up in ranking? Even Koga was always a strange choice for moving up, since Sabrina would totally toast him and then some. :p
Conscious choice on his part maybe?

Gravijah

Shit... anyone got any power items to spare? And maybe some good IVed Dittos? I know I'm gonna need 'em at somepoint...

Edit: Ah well, if anyone does, shoot me a PM.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Technically speaking, you can decline on being a Pokemon Master. I mean sure, you can record the title, but then you can decline on staying in Indigo Plateau.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Gravijah said:
Shit... anyone got any power items to spare? And maybe some good IVed Dittos? I know I'm gonna need 'em at somepoint...
Ditto on the ditto's. I have all the power items from platinum, but I need some ditto's for natures.

Woo! Got my first monster into the pokewalker. It's a geodude. Does it matter which pokemon I put in there? Can I put in more than one?

I've stuck mine in my sock. Finally my restless leg syndrome can be useful for something!

cdyhybrid

Any reason not to evolve my Staryu? It's level 11 right now, and it already knows two of the moves I plan to have in its final moveset (Ice Beam, Surf). The other two are Thunderbolt and Psychic, which it can't learn by level-up anyway.

EzLink

Banned
Wtf? I just caught Snubbull, here is its dex entry:

"It has an active, playful nature. Many women like to frolic with it because of its affectionate ways."

It is also classified as a "Fairy Pokemon", even though I was pretty sure it was supposed to be like a dog

thought i'd share cause it made me :lol

cdyhybrid said:
Any reason not to evolve my Staryu? It's level 11 right now, and it already knows two of the moves I plan to have in its final moveset (Ice Beam, Surf). The other two are Thunderbolt and Psychic, which it can't learn by level-up anyway.

The only reason to not evo Staryu is due to when you earn moves, so if you're looking elsewhere for those two, you're clear to go to Starmie.

cdyhybrid

Crazymoogle said:
The only reason to not evo Staryu is due to when you earn moves, so if you're looking elsewhere for those two, you're clear to go to Starmie.

Sweet. Anyone got a spare Water Stone they wouldn't mind giving me? :D

EzLink said:
It is also classified as a "Fairy Pokemon", even though I was pretty sure it was supposed to be like a dog

thought i'd share cause it made me :lol

Yeah, apparently it's meant to be a fairy pokemon with the gruff face to offset its demeanor, kind of like how Feebas turns into Milotic. The irony is that Snubbull just heads fully into dog form as Granbull instead. :lol

Chock it up as one of those bizarre failures like Cubone not being directly connected to Kangaskhan despite the visual evidence (and the whole "there's no male Kangaskhan" thing.)

Gravijah

Crazymoogle said:
Yeah, apparently it's meant to be a fairy pokemon with the gruff face to offset its demeanor, kind of like how Feebas turns into Milotic. The irony is that Snubbull just heads fully into dog form as Granbull instead. :lol

Chock it up as one of those bizarre failures like Cubone not being directly connected to Kangaskhan despite the visual evidence (and the whole "there's no male Kangaskhan" thing.)

Cubone - > Marowak
/\
|
Kangababy
|
\/
Kangaskhan

Would be cool.

TheSeks

cvxfreak said:

Gary/Blue wanted to be a Gym Leader and not E4 champion, maybe? I mean, Giovanni did leave the gym. Probably due in part to being linked to Team Rocket. So it was Gary's chance to take the gym, doesn't hurt that he isn't far from his Uncle/Oak and his mom in Pallet Town.

Gravijah

BTW, beat the E4 earlier today. Took down
Lance
with 9 HP remaining and no other Pokemon left. Very very crazy! :lol Fighting
Lt. Surge now. Boy the Kanto gyms are high level, but this one is easy.

jdogmoney

Gah. Am I going to have to do the bug-catching contest to get a sycther? I stopped after I got a pinsir because I was poisoned and down to, like, three HP...

I'll remember to bring antidotes this time, but still.

Axis

Gravijah said:
BTW, beat the E4 earlier today. Took down
Lance
with 9 HP remaining and no other Pokemon left. Very very crazy! :lol Fighting
Lt. Surge now. Boy the Kanto gyms are high level, but this one is easy.

i had so much trouble with lt surge's raichu...

double team
double team
double team
double team
double team

of course my average level was like 35 lol...not a good idea anyway

Gravijah

Axis said:
i had so much trouble with lt surge's raichu...

double team
double team
double team
double team
double team

of course my average level was like 35 lol...not a good idea anyway

Flygon+EQ=GG

Gravijah

Axis said:
lol well fuck...looks like i've been going about this the wrong way

Ehh, he was the only Pokemon that I really liked to finish my team. Had to be able to learn Fly, and I needed something for the Dragon Pokemon in the E4. Didn't want to mess with a Dragonite or anything.

Axis

Gravijah said:
Ehh, he was the only Pokemon that I really liked to finish my team. Had to be able to learn Fly, and I needed something for the Dragon Pokemon in the E4. Didn't want to mess with a Dragonite or anything.

dragonair takes way too long to evolve anyway...so good call haha

anyone need heart scales or aerodactyl/omanyte fossils?

pirata

joetachi said:
Wow i lucked out started playing today and the first pokemon i can catch is a shiny pidgey i was planing on getting another flying pokemon but i cant ignore the awesomeness that is shiny pidgeot.

Back in the day, the first pokemon that I encountered was a shiny Pidgey. Unfortunately, that was before I got any pokeballs :(.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
cvxfreak said:

Why do you face the champion again in rematches with the Elite Four, despite you yourself now being the champion?

None of it has ever made sense and game freak doesn't particularly care.

cvxfreak

grandjedi6 said:
Why do you face the champion again in rematches with the Elite Four, despite you yourself now being the champion?

None of it has ever made sense and game freak doesn't particularly care.

But we can easily answer that one. You turned down the job in favor of doing more exploring/catching Pokemon.

Blue just kinda assumes the gym leader role and no one knows why. :lol

EDIT: And based on the dialogue in both FRLG and HGSS, Blue enjoyed being the Champion. It sounds like he involuntarily lost the role.

Top Bottom