• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

kzn

Neo Member
So I'm thinking about replacing Gengar (Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Focus Blast/something that I forget) with a Jolteon, but it would be a fair amount of work since I cant clear the E4 with only 5 pokemon yet - is it worth it, or is Gengar better even considered as mostly a counter to Water/Flying?

OMG Aero said:
So in order to kill the soul crushing wait for SoulSilver's UK release I decided to try and do the impossible. I would try to catch them all.
I achieved my goal a few weeks ago, but with some time to kill I decided to go one further.
1ymtud.gif

I now have one of every Pokemon in the PC on my Platinum game with the only exceptions being Lugia, Ho-Oh and Celebi.

I swear to God when they do the Celebi event they better do it somewhere in the UK I can get to.

OMG Aero
(Today, 05:06 PM)

kzn

Neo Member
Axis said:
does anyone have a wynaut or even a wobba they don't mind trading?

I have a bunch of lvl1 Wobbuffets, but I don't know if any of them are good natures. No Wynaut's though :(

[edit] I have Calm, Sassy, Adamant x2, Hasty, Serious

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:
Solo-ing the game is the "natural" way? I always tried playing with the guys that I just caught until I realized that it was too much work and that all the battles are 1-on-1 anyway.

I always thought that shift style made it all to easy to counterpick your opponent.

My import copy showed up this morning and ive been hammering it all day :lol
What ground pokemons worth using? My teams pretty one sided..
Quilava
Slowpoke
Gyrados (sp)
Flaffy
fly and other hm slave.

So the light house gym leader raped me with 1 magnamite :lol
Also slowbro or slowking?

isny

napkin dispenser
Johnlenham said:
My import copy showed up this morning and ive been hammering it all day :lol
What ground pokemons worth using? My teams pretty one sided..
Quilava
Slowpoke
Gyrados (sp)
Flaffy
fly and other hm slave.

So the light house gym leader raped me with 1 magnamite :lol
Also slowbro or slowking?

Fly is actually useful...lots of pokemon later in the game who are weak against flying attacks.

One thing I wanted to mention as well, you can order Pokewalkers from Nintendo for $10 apiece. So if yours dies you can always have a cheap backup. (We all know they'll eventually die/ the screen will crack / etc.)

kzn

Neo Member
So is there a list of pokemon you absolutely cannot breed in any way?

I'm kinda confused as to just which pokemon I'm effectively unable to get with a decent nature/IVs without a second game.

kzn said:
So is there a list of pokemon you absolutely cannot breed in any way?

I'm kinda confused as to just which pokemon I'm effectively unable to get with a decent nature/IVs without a second game.

Arceus, Articuno, Azelf, Azurill
Bonsly, Budew
Celebi, Cleffa, Cresselia
Darkrai, Deoxys, Dialga, Ditto
Elekid, Entei
Giratina, Groudon
Happiny, Heatran, Ho-oh
Igglybuff
Jirachi
Kyrogre
Latias, Latios, Luigia
Magby, Mantyke, Mesprit, Mew, Mewtwo, Mime Jr., Moltres, Munchlax
Nidoqueen, Nidorina
Palkia, Pichu
Raikou, Rayquaza, Regice, Regigigas, Regirock, Registeel, Riolu
Shaymin, Smoochum, Suicune
Togepi, Tyrogue
Unown, Uxie
Wynaut
Zapdos

I dunno about you guys, but I always try to go through the game with a full squad of six. It's more rewarding that way.

Solo-ing with a starter is weaksauce.

isny

napkin dispenser
Just got a Sunkern from the swarm today =D

Took me half an hour of running around in the national park...kept getting kakuna and weedle =(

EzLink

Banned
Yay, I just beat the E4!

Now a question about Sinnoh/Hoenn pokemon... outside of the safari zone and headbutting trees, do these pokemon only appear with the hoenn sound/sinnoh sound radio station is on, or will they appear regularly once I start going through Kanto?

drtomoe123 said:
Arceus, Articuno, Azelf, Azurill
Bonsly, Budew
Celebi, Cleffa, Cresselia
Darkrai, Deoxys, Dialga, Ditto
Elekid, Entei
Giratina, Groudon
Happiny, Heatran, Ho-oh
Igglybuff
Jirachi
Kyrogre
Latias, Latios, Luigia
Magby, Mantyke, Mesprit, Mew, Mewtwo, Mime Jr., Moltres, Munchlax
Nidoqueen, Nidorina
Palkia, Pichu
Raikou, Rayquaza, Regice, Regigigas, Regirock, Registeel, Riolu
Shaymin, Smoochum, Suicune
Togepi, Tyrogue
Unown, Uxie
Wynaut
Zapdos

A minor note about this list:

None of these can breed, but some of them can be bred.
Bonsly, Budew, Cleffa, Elekid, Happiny, Igglybuff, Magby, Mantyke, Munchlax, Pichu, Riolu, Smoochum, Togepi, Tyrogue, and Wynaut can all be bred from their evolutions, although some require items to do so. Nidoran(F) can breed, but her evolutions can't, for some reason.

Teknoman

Aaron Strife said:
I dunno about you guys, but I always try to go through the game with a full squad of six. It's more rewarding that way.

The only way to play.

isny said:
Only need to have one pokemon in your box and you're good to go for a stroll.
Thanks for that. I still have to visit
Mr Pokemon in Cherrygrove, so no pokeballs just yet.

It's good to finally understand what that older bloke was saying to me when I got to the second town. Thing is, I'd only got done talking to everyone when the bus ride was over.

Choopy

Neo Member
Hi all,

Poke noob here. I've been following this thread for a short while and have recently found out about the whole EV/IV training thing. I must say it DOES make the game a lot more enjoyable to play :D . I've read 645's stuff and although informative, I still have a few questions. I'd appreciate some feed back so I avoid doing stupid things during my quest to become a pokemon master!

1. When you max your EV's (510 to whatever stats), does your pokemon HAVE to reach level 100 to reach its full potential of it's EV's? (ie will it not receive every extra stat until it reaches 100?).

2. Is there an easy way of leveling your pokemon to 100? My method before was to grind the Elite 4, but that took FOREVER (Last pokemon game I've owned was Sapphire). I haven't played since then so a lot of this is new to me and I'm hoping there are new grind areas/training methods as well.

3. Regarding the pokewalker... I read somewhere that leveling a pokemon via the pokewalker won't register EV's. So if I'm assuming correctly... If a pokemon's EV's are maxed out and it levels via pokewalker, will it not gain the EV stats accordingly?

4. I've also read that 1 step on the pokewalker = 1 xp point on the pokemon... Seeing as that it's harder to level pokemon during the higher levels (90+), would it be smart to use the pokewalker for those levels?

I'm sorry if the answers to these questions are obvious/embedded in 645's guide... This is all so new to me and it's so much to take in... <_< Any and all help is appreciated.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Pokewalker question.

I know that if you level up in pokewalker on an evolution level, it will just evolve next time it levels in game. What about moves? If I level in pokewalker and it was supposed to learn new move, will I have option to learn move next time it levels in game?

isny

napkin dispenser
DrForester said:
Pokewalker question.

I know that if you level up in pokewalker on an evolution level, it will just evolve next time it levels in game. What about moves? If I level in pokewalker and it was supposed to learn new move, will I have option to learn move next time it levels in game?

Nope, you'll need heart scales to go to the move guy.

DuckRacer

Aaron Strife said:

I dunno, having a full squad early on and equally leveling them up is overkill, and makes the game far more tedious than it should be. I currently have Ampharos, Feraligatr, Togetic and Graveler all at level 36-37 (and the red Gyarados and my main-turned-slave lvl19 Pidgeotto as HM slaves and dummies for when I need to heal my mains) and can breeze through most trainers while still utilizing strategy when battling the rival or gym leaders. Training a pokemon you'll just ditch when you get something better (like Lugia or extremespeed Dratini or something from Kanto) seems pointless.

Battle Factory is so much fun when you get a decent team.

I somehow managed to get:

Gliscor: EQ/Aerial Ace/Swords Dance/Baton Pass

Swampert: EQ/Waterfall/Ice Punch/Protect

Dusknoir: Will-o-Wisp/Shadow Punch/Fling (with Iron Ball!!!)/Trick Room

The AI didn't stand a chance. :lol

Kanto is going by too quickly. I got 5 badges in no time at all. :(

Wiseblade

Choopy said:
Hi all,

Poke noob here. I've been following this thread for a short while and have recently found out about the whole EV/IV training thing. I must say it DOES make the game a lot more enjoyable to play :D . I've read 645's stuff and although informative, I still have a few questions. I'd appreciate some feed back so I avoid doing stupid things during my quest to become a pokemon master!

1. When you max your EV's (510 to whatever stats), does your pokemon HAVE to reach level 100 to reach its full potential of it's EV's? (ie will it not receive every extra stat until it reaches 100?).

2. Is there an easy way of leveling your pokemon to 100? My method before was to grind the Elite 4, but that took FOREVER (Last pokemon game I've owned was Sapphire). I haven't played since then so a lot of this is new to me and I'm hoping there are new grind areas/training methods as well.

3. Regarding the pokewalker... I read somewhere that leveling a pokemon via the pokewalker won't register EV's. So if I'm assuming correctly... If a pokemon's EV's are maxed out and it levels via pokewalker, will it not gain the EV stats accordingly?

4. I've also read that 1 step on the pokewalker = 1 xp point on the pokemon... Seeing as that it's harder to level pokemon during the higher levels (90+), would it be smart to use the pokewalker for those levels?

I'm sorry if the answers to these questions are obvious/embedded in 645's guide... This is all so new to me and it's so much to take in... <_< Any and all help is appreciated.

1. The answer to this is a little hard to explain. Kind of, but not really. The stat gains from EV are spread out over the course of a pokeon's growth, to prevent obscenely powerful low levelled Pokemon running around. you'll still recieve a bonus it just won't be at the rate of 4 EVs = 1 point until level 100.

2. You don't realy need to level your Pokemon up to lvl 100. When you go online, the game will outo level your pokeon for the battle. I think I read somewhere that HGSS does the same for local wifi as well. If you're desperate to level up your pokemon anyway then give them a lucky egg. it gives an extra 50% experience to the poke holding it.

3. It will, it's just means that your pokeon won't recieve any unwanted EV while in the pokewalker.

4. If that's true and you're walking 25,000+ steps a day then go right ahead.

I hope that helped.

Poyunch

Should I get an Alakazam? As much as I enjoy having a powerful Red Gyarados (my Dratini and eventual Dragonite is a perfect replacement IMO) I really enjoy leveling and training my Pokemon and I was considering getting an Abra since the Red Gyarados is basically "done".

thefil

Just spent 30 minutes trying to catch a Larvitar in the Safari Zone. Even after two muds, Safari Ball wouldn't shake more than twice. Is there any strategy to this or is it all luck?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
thefil said:
Just spent 30 minutes trying to catch a Larvitar in the Safari Zone. Even after two muds, Safari Ball wouldn't shake more than twice. Is there any strategy to this or is it all luck?
It took me about ten Larvitars. I just kept tossing Safari Balls... I never even threw any mud or anything.

Wiseblade

thefil said:

Mud makes Pokemon more difficult to catch. Bait makes it easier, but more likely to run away.

kzn

Neo Member
Fairly certain you have that reversed.

[edit] And Safari Zone is basically luck. Perhaps with some of the more common pokemon the catch rate is such that 1 or 2 muds makes it a guaranteed catch, but Larvitar and the rarer ones (i.e. the reason for the zone at all) are all low enough catch rate, and high enough flee rate, that you're just going to be spamming balls at them really.

Took me 90 balls to catch 2 Larvitars.

Sixfortyfive said:
I was crushed when I realized this. My party was seriously underleveled and I was hoping to have NPC trainers around to fix that.

Yeah, my team just got dismantled by the time I reached Koga. With the exception of Typhlosion and Ampharos, my team needs a lot of grinding.

Also, wtf at Jynx not learning any Psychic type attacks by level-up. And Psychic is apparently not available until I go to Kanto. :(

Axis

alright i'm looking for a bagon if anyone has one to spare? preferrably a male

also have a few heart scales if someone needs them

Wiseblade said:
Mud makes Pokemon more difficult to catch. Bait makes it easier, but more likely to run away.

I was sure it was the opposite.

Anyway I still have found that it is better not to bother with Mud/Bait and just throw ball after ball at the Pokemon you want to catch.

joetachi

Wow i lucked out started playing today and the first pokemon i can catch is a shiny pidgey i was planing on getting another flying pokemon but i cant ignore the awesomeness that is shiny pidgeot.

Wiseblade

joetachi said:
Wow i lucked out started playing today and the first pokemon i can catch is a shiny pidgey i was planing on getting another flying pokemon but i cant ignore the awesomeness that is shiny pidgeot.

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Top Bottom