• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Echoes

Hey Metroid Killer, is it too much to ask for 2 Electabuzz? One with good nature and the other anything. One for my competitive team while the other will just replace my current HM Slave (aka in-game Poke). If you don't have extras then no, don't go catch it for me. I only *need* one, but two will solve my who's-my-sixth problem.

Echoes said:
Hey Metroid Killer, is it too much to ask for 2 Electabuzz? One with good nature and the other anything. One for my competitive team while the other will just replace my current HM Slave (aka in-game Poke). If you don't have extras then no, don't go catch it for me. I only *need* one, but two will solve my who's-my-sixth problem.
sure I just sent you a pm. I got a ton of Electabuzz now :lol

Chorazin

So glad I pulled base form Rotom into my game, I'm wrecking shit in the Lighthouse like a bull in a china shop. OHKOs all around!

Buuu you can't fight the trainers on SS Aqua more than 3 times throughout the whole game. The initial trip, from Johto to Kanto, and from Kanto to Johto... Just as I thought I had a good grind spot.

Echoes

Again, thanks a lot MK! The PKRS will really ease my way into EV Training. I can't believe I battled Tentacool 126 times.

77677226.jpg

Wiseblade

Echoes said:
Again, thanks a lot MK! The PKRS will really ease my way into EV Training. I can't believe I battled Tentacool 126 times.

77677226.jpg

Yes! So glad to see I'm not the only one who tallies EV on a pieces of paper.

But you aren't using power items? I'd supply you with some if you like.

Echoes

Wiseblade said:

Only Macho Brace :D would love to get others since this is my first "real" Pokemon experience and I didn't have them before. I mean, I've been there since day one with Red and Yellow, and then Gold and Crystal, and then ALL of the 3rd Gen games, including a Japanese Emerald. But... EV Training is unparalleled. It takes the experience on a whole different level! I always thought it was complicated and hard, but damn... it's freaking FUN.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It's not complicated. Just tedious. Training is slightly easier on DPPt, but I doubt it'll be much of an issue when people figure out good spots for wild Pokemon if they haven't done so already. I also need to trim down that post a bit to make room for some breeding tips.

You should get the other Power Items. You'd only have to fight 26 Tentacools to max out your SpDef instead of 252. Even less if you have vitamins to spare.

Anyway, I really appreciate that a lot of Kanto trainers use Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon. I thought I might never see any of them until I started specifically looking for some. I'm just cruising through the country side beating up trainers to earn levels for the rest of the gyms. I'm very glad that you have access to a lot of Kanto right off the bat.

I forgot just how long the Silence Bridge route was. I've just about run out of PP on important moves.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well I ordered a replacement refurb to replace my broken DS Lite from earlier in the thread. It came to $94.50. Not great at all but still decent if everything appears as new.

Of course I was kind of pissed that it came without any stylus' for the price since I lost the two already that came with the broken one. I didn't want to spend 6 dollars plus like $6 in shipping for two small pieces of plastic so I called Nintendo. After confirming that I ordered the refrub they hooked me up with a free complimentary stylus that will be delivered by mail :D

Nintendo products may be overpriced when it comes to the real price of production but their customer service is excellent.

A week away from DS I guess will give me time to study for Network+ :lol

Salaadin

Trojita said:
Well I order a replacement refurb to replace my broken DS Lite from earlier in the thread. It came to $94.50. Not great at all but still decent if everything appears as new.

My refurb DS lite looks pretty much brand new. They couldve sold it to me as new and I wouldnt have known otherwise.

Delio

Sixfortyfive said:
It's not complicated. Just tedious. Training is slightly easier on DPPt, but I doubt it'll be much of an issue when people figure out good spots for wild Pokemon if they haven't done so already. I also need to trim down that post a bit to make room for some breeding tips..

Yeah i really need to find out the ev training spots for H/G. Then i can be done using Pearl for all that and just move my power items there. To Smogon then i guess >.<

Wiseblade said:

Haha, I used paper for everything before DPPt until I realized that the counter app worked just as well.

isny

napkin dispenser
Salaadin said:
My refurb DS lite looks pretty much brand new. They couldve sold it to me as new and I wouldnt have known otherwise.

I've received a refurb as well in the past that was pretty much brand new. You'll be happy =)

Sixfortyfive

Maylene! Crasher Wake!

I'm enjoying Kanto more than I thought I would. You'd think I'd be sick of it at this point, but nope.

Just got to the end of Victory Road. A little disappointing that
there are no trainers aside from your rival
. Now to find/faint Raikou before figuring out exactly how to RNG it.

Sixfortyfive

Little Green Yoda said:
Just got to the end of Victory Road. A little disappointing that
there are no trainers aside from your rival
I was crushed when I realized this. My party was seriously underleveled and I was hoping to have NPC trainers around to fix that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Maylene! Crasher Wake!

I'm enjoying Kanto more than I thought I would. You'd think I'd be sick of it at this point, but nope.

I know! :D I love that they're tying everything together, too.

Also I never realized how huge the exp boost for traded Pokemon is. Wow.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I think whoever said Pokerus is permanent is clearly mistaken.
The two Pokerus Pokemon sixfortyfive gave me are odd. One of them spread it to everyone in my party, and then lost its Pokerus status. Then all my Pokemon lost its Pokerus status (this happened in the span of one day).

My second Pokerus Pokemon has been in my party for 3 days and numerous battles and hasn't spread it to any members of my party, either newly introduced or old ones that "lost" their status.

Kind of ridiculous.

Sixfortyfive

If there's a smiley face icon on their status screen, they still have Pokerus. They just can't spread it.

After a battle, any Pokemon with the PKRS icon has a 50% chance to pass it onto the two party members positioned right before and after it on the party list.

At least I think that's how it works.

Trojita

Oh right, I forgot to ask this.

At the point in time right before my DS broke I was looking to get rid of a move to make room for Rock Smash in the Onyx I received from that one in game trade. I was looking at getting rid of Mud Sport since I was wondering why Onyx even needed a move to make electric type moves less effective, isn't that inherent in it's nature?

Chorazin

silverbullet1080 said:
I just beat Bugsey and I've got a 24 Croconaw and a 24 pidgeotto :lol

Well, I do have a Spiritomb, Rotom and Houndour in my party, so it's not like I have starting area Pokes. :lol

Trojita

In order to unlock all non-event routes, one would need to walk approximately 1000 miles (1609 km), assuming 2000 steps per mile, with the assumption that no watts are spent or received as gifts.

If walking with the Pokéwalker the recommended 10,000 steps per day, it would take 200 days to unlock all the routes, with the assumption that no watts are spent or received as gifts.

The Pokéwalker uses a CR 2032 3V watch battery. The average battery life for the pokewalker is 3 months.

Removing the battery will cause all steps taken and watts obtained to be cleared. The Pokémon inside will not be erased.

My question is, everytime you connect the DS and Pokewalker together does it record the steps and watts you've taken and store them somewhere? If not this could amount to a fail of epic proportions. If the average month is 30 days, the battery is expected to die with average use at about 90 days. If it takes 200 days at the recommended number of steps in a day, there is no way to actually unlock everything properly.

Wiseblade

Spy said:
It's my starter, how would I be screwing myself over?
Umm how are you ever going to catch anything when you ko it straight away? eventually you're going to come across a gym that beats your starter and end up stuck.

Chorazin

Trojita said:
Watt-related freak out.

Before you go even go for a stroll or return from a walk the top screen shows your total Watts and total Steps. I think you'll be fine

Your Pokewalker also only holds the last 7 days worth of steps and the total steps anyways, so the most you'd lose are the individual step counts within the last seven days, not the total as long as you return your Poke daily.

Teknoman

Trojita said:
In order to unlock all non-event routes, one would need to walk approximately 1000 miles (1609 km), assuming 2000 steps per mile, with the assumption that no watts are spent or received as gifts.

If walking with the Pokéwalker the recommended 10,000 steps per day, it would take 200 days to unlock all the routes, with the assumption that no watts are spent or received as gifts.

The Pokéwalker uses a CR 2032 3V watch battery. The average battery life for the pokewalker is 3 months.

Removing the battery will cause all steps taken and watts obtained to be cleared. The Pokémon inside will not be erased.

My question is, everytime you connect the DS and Pokewalker together does it record the steps and watts you've taken and store them somewhere? If not this could amount to a fail of epic proportions. If the average month is 30 days, the battery is expected to die with average use at about 90 days. If it takes 200 days at the recommended number of steps in a day, there is no way to actually unlock everything properly.

I always see max steps taken at the pokewalker menu ingame.

Sixfortyfive

Wiseblade said:
Umm how are you ever going to catch anything when you ko it straight away? eventually you're going to come across a gym that beats your starter and end up stuck.
Eh, the easiest way to roll through the quest is usually to power-level only your starter, although you might need some TMs to pull it off. The only time I ever managed to beat FRLG Gary without grinding was when I had my lv100 Blastoise w/ Surf, Earthquake, and Ice Beam. Had an easy time on Emerald with a lv85 Sceptile too.

I say usually because the Johto starters don't seem so hot.

Johann

Trojita said:

Every time you give or receive a Pokemon from the Pokewaler, your GS/SS cart saves. This includes how many watts you've included towards unlocking courses. You can use it to revert to the moment before you sent your Pokemon to the Pokewalker if need be. However, you're Pokewalker Pokemon will always be safe unless you lose or severely damage the Pokewalker. In this case, a revert would be necessary.

You can replace the battery when it runs out every 4 or so months.

upandaway

Sixfortyfive said:
Eh, the easiest way to roll through the quest is usually to power-level only your starter, although you might need some TMs to pull it off. The only time I ever managed to beat FRLG Gary without grinding was when I had my lv100 Blastoise w/ Surf, Earthquake, and Ice Beam. Had an easy time on Emerald with a lv85 Sceptile too.

Yeah no way any of the starters solos Red. And I mean any of the starters period.

Though I make that with the assumption they made Red as good as they made the gym leaders. In GSC he had some really bad moves on him.
It'll be cool if each of his starters knew the special starter moves like Frenzy Plant and all that.

OMG Aero

So in order to kill the soul crushing wait for SoulSilver's UK release I decided to try and do the impossible. I would try to catch them all.
I achieved my goal a few weeks ago, but with some time to kill I decided to go one further.
1ymtud.gif

I now have one of every Pokemon in the PC on my Platinum game with the only exceptions being Lugia, Ho-Oh and Celebi.

I swear to God when they do the Celebi event they better do it somewhere in the UK I can get to.

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:

I'd normally pick 3 or 4 pokemon and steamroll the maingame with them. Empoleon + Staraptor + Luxray ruled Diamond, Blaziken + Mightyena + Minun steamrolled Ruby/Emerald.

Sixfortyfive

OMG Aero said:
So in order to kill the soul crushing wait for SoulSilver's UK release I decided to try and do the impossible. I would try to catch them all.
I achieved my goal a few weeks ago, but with some time to kill I decided to go one further.
http://i43.tinypic.com/1ymtud.gif
I now have one of every Pokemon in the PC on my Platinum game with the only exceptions being Lugia, Ho-Oh and Celebi.
Nice. I have my boxes arranged similarly, but I don't have enough room for everything, so a few middle and first forms are missing.

nli10

Sixfortyfive said:

We used to joke that one uber-leveled started and some caught mons (with the games legendary) from the end of the game was 'kids mode' as it tends to be the most obvious way to play for the beginners and under 10s.

Turns out that 'kids mode'- it's an incredibly effective PvM strategy and easily beats the E4 and the game. It's one of the reasons that the game appeals to such a broad range of ages.

Show me another game that sells as well that kids can beat with their most natural strategy. :)

Sixfortyfive

Solo-ing the game is the "natural" way? I always tried playing with the guys that I just caught until I realized that it was too much work and that all the battles are 1-on-1 anyway.

Top Bottom