• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
cvxfreak said:
But we can easily answer that one. You turned down the job in favor of doing more exploring/catching Pokemon.

Blue just kinda assumes the gym leader role and no one knows why. :lol

EDIT: And based on the dialogue in both FRLG and HGSS, Blue enjoyed being the Champion. It sounds like he involuntarily lost the role.

I think it's pretty obvious Red beat him.

cvxfreak

Andrex said:

We know that, but if Red also rejected the position, shouldn't Blue have kept it until someone else beat him? I'm not sure how that translates to Lance taking the spotlight. He's a twice-loser. :lol If I started my journey in Kanto and earn Blue's badge, I wouldn't bother fighting the Elite 4/Champion since three of them already lost to Blue. :D

But yeah. Giving this way too much thought. The real world answer is they wanted to save Blue for the end portion of the game, so making him the Pokemon Champion would not have worked in that sense. Because after Blue, we face Red.

Andrex said:
Anyone else amused by the mental image of Blue walking home dejected after losing to Red and happening upon the Viridian gym? I can imagine him banging his head up against its door, then having it swing open to reveal an empty building.

I've never seen that bit of the game
or the bit where you apparently interrupt Misty on a date with Red
, but it always amused me to think of him as a great big freeloading squatter.

OMG Aero

I always assumed that Red turns down the champion position to keep travelling and at some point between RB and GS, Lance decides he would like to try being the champion so he challenges Blue and beats him.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I never played the original, so I'm not touching that Youtube link.
There's nothing to possibly spoil. In fact, whatever you're thinking of is likely 100x more thoughtout than what I linked since you've seemed to have gotten your info from some crackpot fan theory. ;)

Kyzer

Banned
Stopping for the night right before moving on to Blackthorn.

My team is currently

Lv 37 WANINOKO (Feraligatr)
Lv 33 Togetronic (Togekiss)
Lv 30 Gengar
Lv 33 Dragonair
Lv 35 Growlithe (Not evolving until after 48 for Flare Blitz)
Lv27 Nidoking (Going to be replaced by Donphan)

Wrecked Celdaon City's Gym. All pokemon on my team are lvl 50. And only one of Erika's critters put up a fight against me... What an annoying gym layout though, after I beat her I couldn't find my way out and was stuck for around 5 minutes :lol

upandaway

Kyzer said:
Pretty sure its not a TM at all.
Meh, I guess I was thinking of Fire Blast. They're practically the same name, fuck! It's also the better of the two (misses once every 12-15 times for me) and Growlithe can learn it by TM, though, so why not get it?

Can't believe how bad I am with names. I was so sure of myself too.

Kyzer

Banned
upandaway said:
Meh, I guess I was thinking of Fire Blast. They're practically the same name, fuck! It's also the better of the two (misses once every 12-15 times for me) and Growlithe can learn it by TM, though, so why not get it?

Can't believe how bad I am with names. I was so sure of myself too.

Yeah, it's alright. But I prefer Flamethrower. I plan on him having:

Extremespeed
Thunder Fang
Flare Blitz
Flamethrower

He's basically a physical attacker but if something comes along in-game that has a high Def I'll hit em with Flamethrower.

trinest

A thought occured to me, if the Pickachu coloured Pichu is just a shiny sprite- does that mean any shiny pichu would unlock the spiky pichu?

Kyzer

Banned
trinest said:
A thought occured to me, if the Pickachu coloured Pichu is just a shiny sprite- does that mean any shiny pichu would unlock the spiky pichu?

No, I think they have some kind of special ID

Wiseblade

trinest said:

No, it's the "a fateful encounter" line on the trainer memo that unlocks the event really.

jdogmoney said:
Gah. Am I going to have to do the bug-catching contest to get a sycther? I stopped after I got a pinsir because I was poisoned and down to, like, three HP...

I'll remember to bring antidotes this time, but still.

All I ever get is bloody weedles and metapods. I did win by catching a full health lvl 17 weedle though :lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Metroid Killer said:
Wrecked Celdaon City's Gym. All pokemon on my team are lvl 50. And only one of Erika's critters put up a fight against me... What an annoying gym layout though, after I beat her I couldn't find my way out and was stuck for around 5 minutes :lol
That gym threw me off too until I noticed that the plants hanging overhead sort of guide you through the walls.

12 badges down and the entire team is at lv46. I'm sort of grateful that Kanto moves along at a brisk pace.

Johann

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Woo! Got my first monster into the pokewalker. It's a geodude. Does it matter which pokemon I put in there? Can I put in more than one?

I've stuck mine in my sock. Finally my restless leg syndrome can be useful for something!

It matters in the sense that some types have an advantage in certain Pokewalker courses. It's not like a type advantage in the main game's battles. An Oddish in a grass-favored (usually three or so different types are favored) will have an easier time encounterign rare Pokemon and items. It's still possible with any other Pokemon but it will save you a bit of frustration if you're trying to get rare Pokemon.

You can't put in more than one Pokemon in the Pokewalker. One HG or SS cart is linked to one active Pokewalker.

Sixfortyfive

wud said:
wait hold on, so farfetch'd is shit?

he's my favourite pokemon
Per Smogon's analysis page:

I am of the opinion that as Pokémon Red and Blue were about to be released, Farfetch'd accidentally spilled some ink on the suit of one of the most important Game Freak staff members. Since then, they have hated Farfetch'd and did everything they could to make this thing suck as much as possible on the battlefield. No Base Stat over 65, a gazillion better Normal/Flying-types, some interesting moves, none of which can be employed to their full potential, and limited ways of obtaining it ever since the beginning of the Pokémon games. The best thing that can be said about Farfetch'd is that it got a personal item (Stick) which makes it get random critical hits. When you don't need them, usually.

Magni

So can anyone hit me up with a Growlithe/Arcanine of any nature/stats? Have pity for a fellow GAFfer still waiting for his remakes to arrive in the mail :lol

Echoes

Axis, check your PM.

645, I would love to get into the tournament but I know how much I suck in competitive battling. Is that ok?

^I have never battled another person in Pokemon, and I'm not even sure I'll be doing any EV training, yet I'm still entering the tourney (if anything just for fun :D )

MagniHarvald said:
So can anyone hit me up with a Growlithe/Arcanine of any nature/stats? Have pity for a fellow GAFfer still waiting for his remakes to arrive in the mail :lol
Pm me later today if you haven't gotten a Growlithe by then (I'm about to leave so I don't have time right now)

Sixfortyfive

Echoes said:
645, I would love to get into the tournament but I know how much I suck in competitive battling. Is that ok?
Competence isn't exactly required. I don't have nearly as much experience as my posts suggest and will be using a total gimmick team anyway.

Magni

Thanks MK, I'll PM you tonight if no one else offers their puppy :lol

Just read the Nintendo PR of the 3DS.. wondering how future Pokémon games will look like :D

cdyhybrid

MagniHarvald said:
Thanks MK, I'll PM you tonight if no one else offers their puppy :lol

Just read the Nintendo PR of the 3DS.. wondering how future Pokémon games will look like :D

I can catch you one in a sec, if you have a spare Shiny Stone or Water Stone I'd happily take one off your hands :D Otherwise I don't really need anything in return.

Magni

cdyhybrid said:
I can catch you one in a sec, if you have a spare Shiny Stone or Water Stone I'd happily take one off your hands :D Otherwise I don't really need anything in return.

Hmm, I have 3 Water Stones, I think I can send you one :D

Anyone amazed by how much they remember after all these years? Aside from the additions of your trainer friend its a serious walk down memory lane, very nice.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Haha, the Team Rocket uniform and talking to people... :lol

Next remake of Gold/Silver should keep the outfit as a perma uniform change if you want it.

upandaway

Sixfortyfive said:
Competence isn't exactly required. I don't have nearly as much experience as my posts suggest and will be using a total gimmick team anyway.
Huh, so you're participating? Are you gonna give yourself a prize?

^ Spoilers re
Rocket Outfit
?

Also, I want the next gen of Pokemon to let us customise how our trainer looks. Give us a MMO style character builder, but with the Pokemon style. And let us buy new outfits and accessories in the Pokemarts. Perhaps have actually character accessories as prizes at gyms and colosseums too.

Oh yeah, I want Pokemon Colosseum and XD style colosseums in addition to the normal Gyms and Elite Four. Surely Colosseums would exist all over the Pokemon world?

Of course, this needs to be a 3D Pokemon game.

Sixfortyfive

PBR had a decent amount of trainer customization.

*fondly remembers days of owning random Wi-Fi noobs as "Advanced Trainer Gary Oak" with Garchomp, Wobbuffet, and Shedinja*

upandaway

Metroid Killer said:
^I have never battled another person in Pokemon, and I'm not even sure I'll be doing any EV training, yet I'm still entering the tourney (if anything just for fun :D )
Man if my team wasn't on my friend's Platinum right now (still moving those 300 Pokemon to a new save of Platinum because of that fucking bug... about a quarter of the process done) I would battle you right now with my E4 team, no EVs or any special training. Wanna do it when I get my team back?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sixfortyfive said:
PBR had a decent amount of trainer customization.

*fondly remembers days of owning random Wi-Fi noobs as "Advanced Trainer Gary Oak" with Garchomp, Wobbuffet, and Shedinja*

Yes, but it's too bad they locked half the items under huge grind and most of them weren't that great.

Wanace

When's the tournament going to be? I'm totally down for that. I have no job and no life so I've already gotten all 16 badges and now I'm training up some new Pokemon to go with the ones I've had since Ruby.

Sixfortyfive

TheSeks said:
Yes, but it's too bad they locked half the items under huge grind and most of them weren't that great.
PBR was great.... but only IF you had a copy of DPPt AND only cared about competitive battling AND really loved the Battle Frontier and wanted more of the same AND the idea of fighting nothing but overpowered legendaries in random wi-fi sounded like fun.

I actually still really enjoyed it.

Cryptozoologist said:
When's the tournament going to be? I'm totally down for that. I have no job and no life so I've already gotten all 16 badges and now I'm training up some new Pokemon to go with the ones I've had since Ruby.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390158

OMG Aero

Could someone tell me how big the box for HGSS is? I mean the one with the Pokewalker in it not just the game.
I got an email from Game saying they have sent my copy of SoulSilver today which means (Going on past experience) it could be here tomorrow, but I won't be in to accept the delivery.
Is it too big to fit through a letter box?

OMG Aero said:
Could someone tell me how big the box for HGSS is? I mean the one with the Pokewalker in it not just the game.
I got an email from Game saying they have sent my copy of SoulSilver today which means (Going on past experience) it could be here tomorrow, but I won't be in to accept the delivery.
I don't know the exact dimensions, but it's just about the size of two DS game cases stacked on top of each other.

Johann

OMG Aero said:

It's 13.5 cm x 12.4 cm x 3.5 cm.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Man.. I used to know everything about Pokemon, but reading through this thread has made me realise how much I don't know anymore. This is nuts.

Just got to Mahogany Town and ive backed myself into a corner.

I have a

Croconaw
Weepingbell
Arcanine
Pidgetotto
Kadabra
Flaaffy

All of them lvl 29 and almost all of them weak against his Pokemon.

I was planning on getting a fighting type but didnt think i really needed one yet. I was incorrect.

Top Bottom