• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Chorazin

kzn said:
I presume you replaced the 'default' back cover with the one with a clip?

I think the pokewalker was designed to work perfectly with the default back case when it and the DS were flat on the ground, but the clip messes everything up and you have to hold the stuff at an angle.

Once you do it some it gets pretty easy to get the angle though.

Mine works just as fine with the clip on as it did without it on, so I don't think that's the problem. The clip doesn't cover the IR port in any way.

I'm already five hours in and I've got three badges. This has been a pretty good experience for me so far. The one thing that grates on my nerves is that damned voltorb flip. I can't even get past level two.

Now to go off topic:
The berries that drop your Pokemon's EV points work fine on level 100 Pokemon as well? I've already got two monsters at level 99, but I don't want to raise them to level 100 if it won't allow me to use the berries.

thanks

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
wud said:
is it really bad that i basically use normal/fighting/bird/ground/rock pokemon pretty much all throughout the game and have them doing tackle etc and focus on finishing off enemies in 1-hit?

i feel like im missing out when i hear all this talk of rollout and substitute :lol
Rollout is a gimmick attack. Substitute is very useful. I don't see why anyone would use tackle throughout the game, as There are attacks that do the same exact thing with more power/other perks. Not to mention normal type attacks have pretty terrible coverage.

Then again if you are having fun, no one can tell you how you should or shouldn't enjoy the game, so go tackle the shi- out of some pocket monsters.

Gravijah

JosM88 said:
I'm already five hours in and I've got three badges. This has been a pretty good experience for me so far. The one thing that grates on my nerves is that damned voltorb flip. I can't even get past level two.

Now to go off topic:
The berries that drop your Pokemon's EV points work fine on level 100 Pokemon as well? I've already two monsters at level 99, but I don't want to raise them to level 100 if it won't allow me to use the berries.

thanks

You won't be able to get EVs at level 100, though.

Delio

man IV checking my Event Jirachi shows me it has pretty nice Ivs except in defense. And naturally has a 31 in Speed.Fun stuff.

Zozz

Banned
I can't believe I bought a DS lite and Heart Gold, I haven't owned a pokemon game since Silver. I am not disappointed at all, what an awesome game. What does it mean when the pokeball are moving about in the upper left of the touchscreen when you're fighting an opponent?

Gravijah

Zozz said:
I can't believe I bought a DS lite and Heart Gold, I haven't owned a pokemon game since Silver. I am not disappointed at all, what an awesome game. What does it mean when the pokeball are moving about in the upper left of the touchscreen when you're fighting an opponent?

That they're about to level.

Zozz said:
That Pokemon should be close to leveling up. Reminder to put them in battle, I suppose?

Gravijah said:
You won't be able to get EVs at level 100, though.
Not even via the box trick? In 3rd gen, you were able to EV train a level 100 pokemon, put into the PC, log off, log back in and take it out again. When you took it out again, all its EVs were recalculated.

I've also found this trick for gen 4. Basically, at level 100, give your pokemon one EV in a stat you don't want, then EV train as normal. When you're done EV training, use a stat-reducing berry to reduce that unwanted EV to zero. Doing this makes the game recalculate *all* the pokemon's EVs and you get the stat-up from the rest of the EVs you put in.

You're welcome :D

Chozo

Echoes said:
Quick question (about the legendaries):
Are the birds roaming, or like R/B/Y? If roaming then goddamit. I don't like chasing a Pokemon that changes his place every second AND flee when possible.

Birds are like R/B/Y (don't roam).

Gravijah

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Not even via the box trick? In 3rd gen, you were able to EV train a level 100 pokemon, put into the PC, log off, log back in and take it out again. When you took it out again, all its EVs were recalculated.

I've also found this trick for gen 4. Basically, at level 100, give your pokemon one EV in a stat you don't want, then EV train as normal. When you're done EV training, use a stat-reducing berry to reduce that unwanted EV to zero. Doing this makes the game recalculate *all* the pokemon's EVs and you get the stat-up from the rest of the EVs you put in.

Oooh, interesting. I didn't think they handed out EVs period once your 'Mon hit 100 in Gen III & IV.

Gravijah said:
Oooh, interesting. I didn't think they handed out EVs period once your 'Mon hit 100 in Gen III & IV.
I imagine the EXP gets handed to you, but the game would have some kind of flag and function that make sure it gets taken away immediately at level 100 (it's an easier solution).

Giving out EVs needn't be dependent on level at all, since the stat changes aren't usually calculated until level up, there'd be no need for such a function for EVs. It'd be redundant code that'd just overly complicate matters (given that there's already a system to keep the cap at 255 EVs for any one stat and however many total). More than likely, one function is called that recalculates all EV stat ups at level up. It'd be a simple matter to simply call this function again when you use stat-reducing berries - hence the trick.

kzn

Neo Member
16 badges down, Kanto is going by a little too fast :(

[edit] Someone just challeneged me with a level 13 pidgey.

Against a level 51 Gengar with Thunderbolt.

>.>

Gravijah

I imagine the EXP gets handed to you, but the game would have some kind of flag and function that make sure it gets taken away immediately at level 100 (it's an easier solution).

Giving out EVs needn't be dependent on level at all, since the stat changes aren't usually calculated until level up, there'd be no need for such a function for EVs. It'd be redundant code that'd just overly complicate matters (given that there's already a system to keep the cap at 255 EVs for any one stat and however many total). More than likely, one function is called that recalculates all EV stat ups at level up. It'd be a simple matter to simply call this function again when you use stat-reducing berries - hence the trick.

Speaking of berries... I kinda have forgotten that I've had this berry planter thing since the beginning. Whoops.

Holepunch

I thought you only gained EVs if you gained experience from the battle, and level 100s never get experience? (Not counting vitamins)

Fusebox

Banned
I returned a Pokemon from a walk, and a few seconds later my Pokewalker beeped at me and said "A Sunkern has started following you" and I got a Sunkern! Wasn't expecting that... :D

Holepunch said:
I thought you only gained EVs if you gained experience from the battle, and level 100s never get experience? (Not counting vitamins)
See my explanation. The battle system would want to make as few exceptions as possible to keep things simple (it's just good programming practice).

So, if you win a battle at level 100, an IF branch or function call is made to cap your experience point at their current level.

If you win a battle when your EVs are maxed out, an IF branch or function call is made to cap your EVs at their current level.

EV stat boosts are calculated upon levelling up.

Because at level 100, there is no possibility of your pokemon ever levelling up again, there's no need to have an IF branch or function call that stops your EVs from getting awarded. The logic is that the EV capping function will take care of making sure you never get more EVs than you're allowed.

The end result of that should be that at level 100 you still get EVs, but never get the resultant stat boost from them.

Using stat-reducing berries calls the same function used to boost your EV stats at level-up, so it allows you to benefit from any EV training you did at level 100.

Gravijah

UGH I NEED A POKEMON WITH FALSE SWIPE STUPID POKEMON LIKE ELECTABUZZ ARE LOW LEVEL AND I DON'T HAVE ANYONE TO HURT 'EM WIIITITITITITTITITHH

Harpuia said:
ASDASF WHY DOES THE ELITE FOUR HAVE SO MANY POKEMON WITH DOUBLE TEAM IT'S SO FUCKING ANNOYING.

The secret is to buy a bunch of battle items like X-speed/attack/sp.atk and use them on a Pokemon that knows a move that never misses. Pump them up, and sweep the rest of the team.

Or just one shot them before they can do anything like I do.

Shiggie

FINALLY! I feel worthy enough to post here. HG is in the mail and im about to fight the first gym on SS.
My Team:
Cyndaquil Lv. 12
Nidoran(Fem)Lv.13 (Caught on pokewalker :eek:)
Spearow Lv.12
and Slave Rattata Lv.5

isny

napkin dispenser
Little Green Yoda said:
Really liking the relative open-endedness of Kanto. Seems like the only gyms I can't get to immediately are the
Pewter City, Viridian City, and Cinnabar Island
gyms.

Cinnabar was Pompei'd...no gym, just a pokecentre and Blue to fight.

Axis

finally made it to pewter city!

had way too many fossils so i have like 5 aerodactyls and 2 omanytes to give away if anyone wants them

Poyunch

I decided to get a Miltank to replace Red Gyarados. I would have done Magnemite/Magneton/Magnezone but I already have an Ampharos (yeah I know the Magnemite family is much much better but I already have a great Magnezone in Platinum).

Fusebox

Banned
I was cruising through the gym battles until I hit Olivine. All my Pokemon that are strong against steel seem to get smashed by the electricity attacks.

Axis said:
finally made it to pewter city!

had way too many fossils so i have like 5 aerodactyls and 2 omanytes to give away if anyone wants them
Send it over any minute dude. I haven't had one of those since the first gen.:D

See my explanation. The battle system would want to make as few exceptions as possible to keep things simple (it's just good programming practice).

So, if you win a battle at level 100, an IF branch or function call is made to cap your experience point at their current level.

If you win a battle when your EVs are maxed out, an IF branch or function call is made to cap your EVs at their current level.

EV stat boosts are calculated upon levelling up.

Because at level 100, there is no possibility of your pokemon ever levelling up again, there's no need to have an IF branch or function call that stops your EVs from getting awarded. The logic is that the EV capping function will take care of making sure you never get more EVs than you're allowed.

The end result of that should be that at level 100 you still get EVs, but never get the resultant stat boost from them.

Using stat-reducing berries calls the same function used to boost your EV stats at level-up, so it allows you to benefit from any EV training you did at level 100.
Nice info. I'll keep that stuff in mind.

Linkhero1

Ok so my team will consist of

Typhlosion
Alakazam
Blastoise
Tropius
Electivire

I can't think of a 6th Pokemon for my team. Anyone have any recommendations?

Axis

Linkhero1 said:
Ok so my team will consist of

Typhlosion
Alakazam
Blastoise
Tropius
Electivire

I can't think of a 6th Pokemon for my team. Anyone have any recommendations?
tyranitar!

Linkhero1

Axis said:
tyranitar!
Isn't he as strong as a legendary? I'm looking for a good Pokemon but I don't want one that's cheap. I also hear he's banned from battles is it true?

Edit: I should clarify more. I'm looking for a Pokemon with really good speed.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Fusebox said:
I was cruising through the gym battles until I hit Olivine. All my Pokemon that are strong against steel seem to get smashed by the electricity attacks.
I'm stuck at Blackthorn. I need an electric Pokemon, but I don't have one on my team... The gym leader's Pokemon can two-hit basically all of my team, which is between levels 35 and 38. I guess I gotta grind some more first.

Kyzer

Banned
Does the ultimate move tutor in Blackthorn only teach one of the moves once, or if I go back there later with a Charizard or something can I teach them too?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You know, while I would rarely use it, I wish Pokemon had voice recognition so you could yell the commands to the pokemon in battle. "Attack! Use Strength!"

Linkhero1 said:
Isn't he as strong as a legendary? I'm looking for a good Pokemon but I don't want one that's cheap. I also hear he's banned from battles is it true?

He's strong enough to be overused to the point of being considered broken (and his ability forces you to use a sandstream-focused team), but he's a pussycat if you manage to get one or two good Earthquakes in, so it's a toss-up.

Linkhero1

He's strong enough to be overused to the point of being considered broken (and his ability forces you to use a sandstream-focused team), but he's a pussycat if you manage to get one or two good Earthquakes in, so it's a toss-up.
I haven't use him before but I guess that's true. I'm going with Drapion as my 6th Pokemon. Now I just have to catch a Skorupi in Platinum.

Johann

vectorman06 said:
Just defeated the 3rd gym with Heracross :D

Current Team:

Quilava
Murkrow
Flaafy
Heracross
Phanpy
Horsea

Heracross will pay dividends throughout the game. It's got great stats and super-effective moves against nearly half of the gym leaders. I recommend one to new comers to the series in addition to a Compound Eyes Butterfree of Death.

Poyunch

Linkhero1 said:

If you're still looking for a Pokemon similar to that I suggest Garchomp. I EV trained 3 in Pearl and it was all useless once it was classed into the same tier as Legendaries. Anyway you can find Gible in the Safari Zone.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
legendaries aren't banned, "ubers" are. T-tar is not uber/banned from regular battles, garchomp is. There are a bunch of legendaries that are allowed in regular competitive play, and using t-tar would not be cheap.

Keep in mind you guys aren't breeding moves onto these pokemon or ev training or anything, so they wont be anywhere near as good as you've heard they are.

Just wanted to say that my girlfriend is currently playing heart gold in all her spare time, it's crazy how the pokemans bring people in, she hasn't played one since red! Well played nintendo

Top Bottom