• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So the Nintendo 3DS was kind of announced today. Anyone else excited to see Gen 5 on the new system? I'm kind of worried about the focus on 3d though,

Gravijah said:
I'm not really for or against a separate trading thread, though a lot of the flavor of this thread comes from trades. It'd be cool to have one up for requests and stuff though, but should we discourage trading in this thread?
I thought that the trading aspect of the thread was pretty fun to read. It's also an easy way to expose newcomers to honest gaffers willing to trade with no tricks up their sleeves.

I thought it was pretty good advertisement for pokegaf.

Someone just made a trading thread for those interested though.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390976

Edit:
Late...

Echoes

Unicorn said:
20 more levels for espeon and I should be getting those morning sun/sunny day growlithes pumped out.

Gonna grind as much as possible today.
Can't wait for it. Grind baby grind :p

Question: FootNinja; why do you have a Shuckle avatar? :lol I always hated that Pokemon. Is it actually good? Of course you might like it for what it is, but I hate "gifted" Pokemons when they sorta suck, a la Sudowoodo and Shuckle.

Unicorn

Echoes said:

Question: FootNinja; why do you have a Shuckle avatar? :lol I always hated that Pokemon. Is it actually good? Of course you might like it for what it is, but I hate "gifted" Pokemons when they sorta suck, a la Sudowoodo and Shuckle.
He has INSANE defense. Super tank.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Echoes said:

Nah, I would never use him competitively, I just love his indifferent facial expression :p
Like he has absolutely no idea what is going on around him.

Echoes

I just Smogon'd Shuckle. Whoa. I hate EVs because now it's making me want to EV-train this monster for the lolz :lol

I just want to see their reactions twice; upon seeing him ("the fuck?") and upon witnessing his godly defenses ("fuck").

upandaway

Unicorn said:
He has INSANE defense. Super tank.
Fuck yeah he does. I had him in my party when I did the 5th gym, and he took Primape's 8-levels-higher FOCUS PUNCH with 7 HP left. Fresh out of the NPC, I swear to god.
Fucking beast.

Edit: Misinformation. My memory's fucked up (fixed now though).

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Problem with shuckle is his lack of attacking moves. One taunt or substitute and he is set up fodder. Not sure what moves he gets during level up, but the competitive shuckles get some pretty annoying disruptive moves though.

upandaway

FootNinja said:
Problem with shuckle is his lack of attacking moves. One taunt or substitute and he is set up fodder. Not sure what moves he gets during level up, but the competitive shuckles get some pretty annoying disruptive moves though.
If he learned Stealth Rock or something, then he'd be a good guy to use for that, but he can't. Other than that looking at his movelist.. using Power Trick against a Special attacker along with Bug Bite? Maybe against Alakazam, I don't know.

Edit: We need an attack that makes all of a user's stats equal to its highest stat, with an insane price, like having life fall to 1hp with paralyzed. Just for the heck of it.

The announcement of the 3DS has really thrown a spanner in the works for me. Because Nintendo have saw fit to not bother giving us any way of transferring Pokemon between our own DS games via the Wii, I was considering buying a DSi XL once the UK got some half-decent colours (seriously, dark brown and light brown?), but I'm sure as hell not paying £150 for a system that will be completely obsolete in less than a year.

For fuck's sake Nintendo, hurry up and release something like Pokemon Box, or a sequel to Battle Revolution with PC's like in the Stadium games (and if you could make the game itself GOOD too, that would be nice, as BR was crap).

A new Pokemon Box on WiiWare would sell more than enough to justify the minimal amount of work it would take to make.

Gravijah

Ben2749 said:
The announcement of the 3DS has really thrown a spanner in the works for me. Because Nintendo have saw fit to not bother giving us any way of transferring Pokemon between our own DS games via the Wii, I was considering buying a DSi XL once the UK got some half-decent colours (seriously, dark brown and light brown?), but I'm sure as hell not paying £150 for a system that will be completely obsolete in less than a year.

For fuck's sake Nintendo, hurry up and release something like Pokemon Box, or a sequel to Battle Revolution with PC's like in the Stadium games (and if you could make the game itself GOOD too, that would be nice, as BR was crap).

A new Pokemon Box on WiiWare would sell more than enough to justify the minimal amount of work it would take to make.

This is my DS timeline:

DS Phat bought at launch

DS Lite comes out, don't like any of the colors

years (?) go by, PLATINUM FUCKING DS LITE IS ANNOUNCED, HOLY FUCK I NEED THIS

more time goes by, I start seriously considering it... DSi announced. Fuck.

don't like any of the DSi colors, except for the lime green and a certain pink

months go by... DSi XL is announced HOLY SHIT I NEED THIS

seriously considering buying it

...3DS is announced.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Ben2749 said:

Japan has a way with leaving out useful features based on how they want us to play their games.

I'm all for a poke box, but I am not betting on it.

Really liking the relative open-endedness of Kanto. Seems like the only gyms I can't get to immediately are the
Pewter City, Viridian City, and Cinnabar Island
gyms.

Echoes

Kanto is fantastic. The welcoming melody of the city is... beyond words.

Beat its gym easily. (Cheap :p)Garchomp + Earthquake = devastating.

Just got the
Flash TM from Sprout Tower.
Evidently, Bellsprouts can't be found there, since all I'm encountering are Rattattas and Gastlys. I've chosen Gastly to be my second in-game pokemon.

Also, the story the pokewalker tells you about your pokemon's stroll is ace. It was so cute it made me want to put my hands up and go *SQUEEEEEEE!!!*

Gravijah

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Just got the
Flash TM from Sprout Tower.
Evidently, Bellsprouts can't be found there, since all I'm encountering are Rattattas and Gastlys. I've chosen Gastly to be my second in-game pokemon.

Also, the story the pokewalker tells you about your pokemon's stroll is ace. It was so cute it made me want to put my hands up and go *SQUEEEEEEE!!!*

I think Bellsprout can only be found in the daytime.

Wiseblade

mjc said:
What effect does mood have on a pokemon? It can be augmented too right?
thye give a 10% boost to one stat at the cost of a 10% reduction to another stat. Unfortunately, you can't change them, but they don't make much of a difference for the main game.

N4Us

Echoes said:
I just want to see their reactions twice; upon seeing him ("the fuck?") and upon witnessing his godly defenses ("fuck").

This was me vs some guy's Miltank once.

When he sent it out I was like "yeah i'll just focus punch it to death"

Like 200 years later it's still there with 65% health and I hate Miltank.

Johann

FootNinja said:

He's absolutely beastly on a sandstorm team after the Special Defense boost. It also has access to some very annoying moves that can ruin many teams.

EV training blows my mind. I seriously can't imagine how anyone finds this fun. That aside, I'm really loving these remakes. The music is great, and the environmental/ambient noises are a neat little touch.

Gravijah

Then why wasn't I able to find one this morning?

Actually, I looked it up, there aren't any in there. For some reason I thought there were. Sorry to mislead you. They're on Routes 31 and 32.

EzLink

Banned
God, I really want to go to Kanto, but I want to make Johto my bitch first. It's all about extending the playtime for me as this will prolly be the last game I get until Crackdown 2 in summer

FAKE EDIT: shit, galaxy 2 and other m are coming out around the same time as that. Well this should keep me plenty busy till then, i just need to get some cash together

Also, I haven't gone through Dark Cave yet. I already caught dunsparce, but other than that is there anything that makes it worth going through? Any cool items or anything?

Man, I've been grinding for the last 2 hours trying to get my Pokémon all up to level 10. I have no idea why, but I'm loving every minute of it. Something was off, for me, with Diamond/Pearl, but I'm loving HG very much.

Echoes

Scalpel Knight said:
EV training blows my mind. I seriously can't imagine how anyone finds this fun. That aside, I'm really loving these remakes. The music is great, and the environmental/ambient noises are a neat little touch.
The results are worth the trouble IMO.

Quick question (about the legendaries):
Are the birds roaming, or like R/B/Y? If roaming then goddamit. I don't like chasing a Pokemon that changes his place every second AND flee when possible.

timnich

Unicorn said:
20 more levels for espeon and I should be getting those morning sun/sunny day growlithes pumped out.

Gonna grind as much as possible today.
Hey Unicorn if you want I can level up your espeon the few remaining levels if you want. The exp boost form trading plus my lucky egg and it should be there in no time. Let me know.

I got a copy of HeartGold and SoulSilver, UK editions, delivered today. I never expected them this early, and I actually ordered HeartGold for a friend since it was much cheaper online than him buying it instore. He was working late today so I was just on my way out to hand the game over to him when I read about this! I'll feel so awful if my copy of SS is fine (which it has been so far) and his HG doesn't work. :(

Gravijah

The Alchemist Penguin said:
I got a copy of HeartGold and SoulSilver, UK editions, delivered today. I never expected them this early, and I actually ordered HeartGold for a friend since it was much cheaper online than him buying it instore. He was working late today so I was just on my way out to hand the game over to him when I read about this! I'll feel so awful if my copy of SS is fine (which it has been so far) and his HG doesn't work. :(
The HG issue was someone just being dumb and having tape on the DS cart or something.

Gravijah said:
Actually, I looked it up, there aren't any in there. For some reason I thought there were. Sorry to mislead you. They're on Routes 31 and 32.
Ah, many thanks. It is counter-intuitive, though, isn't it? Not having Bellsprouts in a place called Sprout Tower.

Is it true you can catch Teddyursa very close to the beginning of the game?

kaskade

Assuming this 3d ds thing works it would be so cool to see the depth in the battles. Having the opponent actually look like it's farther away would be awesome.

Gravijah said:
The HG issue was someone just being dumb and having tape on the DS cart or something.

Yeah, I just seen that. I checked the cart before heading to hand it over and it's spotless. The bit of tape is very obvious in the picture, but there is no trace of anything on the copy I have. I'll let everyone know if the save error happens to my friend, but it seems for the time being that the crisis is averted! :D

Gravijah

Ah, many thanks. It is counter-intuitive, though, isn't it? Not having Bellsprouts in a place called Sprout Tower.

Is it true you can catch Teddyursa very close to the beginning of the game?

Route 45, which is a bit later.

Gravijah

Cool. Thanks.

I have this weird issue where the pokewalker won't connect unless my DS is open to an exact position and the pokewalker itself is sufficiently far away from the cart. It's odd.

Mine fails randomly, I have to hold it super close to the cart and I can't move an inch. :lol

cdyhybrid

Just beat Morty, he got completely dominated by Togetic. One Substitute (thanks for that Voltorb Flip solver! :lol ) at the start of the fight to help me avoid Curse, Hypnosis, etc. and it survived the entire fight while I Extrasensory'd him over and over.

wud

Neo Member
is it really bad that i basically use normal/fighting/bird/ground/rock pokemon pretty much all throughout the game and have them doing tackle etc and focus on finishing off enemies in 1-hit?

i feel like im missing out when i hear all this talk of rollout and substitute :lol

kzn

Neo Member
I have this weird issue where the pokewalker won't connect unless my DS is open to an exact position and the pokewalker itself is sufficiently far away from the cart. It's odd.

I presume you replaced the 'default' back cover with the one with a clip?

I think the pokewalker was designed to work perfectly with the default back case when it and the DS were flat on the ground, but the clip messes everything up and you have to hold the stuff at an angle.

Once you do it some it gets pretty easy to get the angle though.

kzn said:
I presume you replaced the 'default' back cover with the one with a clip?

I think the pokewalker was designed to work perfectly with the default back case when it and the DS were flat on the ground, but the clip messes everything up and you have to hold the stuff at an angle.

Once you do it some it gets pretty easy to get the angle though.
I didn't. No way I'm clipping it to my belt (I keep it in my pocket).

Top Bottom