• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Will anyone trade me a piplup or any of its evolutions? My dream of an all steel team needs to refill the water slot. Ill trade away my feraligater

CoolS

Unicorn said:
First batch of growlithes are set with morning sun/ sunny day, but currently training one so it'll start a new batch with those two moves and flare blitz.

Perhaps some will want to wait? I guess start PMing me if you want one. The flare blitz ones might be ready by tomorrow night.

Also, I'm looking for a lucky egg (to help with leveling growlithe to get f. Blitz). Currently can't find a chansey with one... anyone feeling generous?

I don't know much about breeding etc. but since you're obviously putting a lot of time into this: What's so great/special about that Growlithe?

Unicorn

CoolS said:
I don't know much about breeding etc. but since you're obviously putting a lot of time into this: What's so great/special about that Growlithe?
Knows morning sun which fully heals with sunny day. Had to breed with an espeon that knows morning sun (at lv 71). Now I'm levelling a male growlithe from that litter so he'll learn flare blitz as well and will share the subsequent offspring with neoGAF

Axis

cvxfreak said:
My Ho-oh got owned by the Meganium in the Viridian City Trainers Center.

Wow.

i had the same shit happen the first time

lvl 47 absol with swords dance/taunt/sucker punch fucked all 3 of them up tho

cvxfreak

Metroid Killer said:
:lol And it's not as if Ho-oh doesn't have some super effective moves against grass! wow indeed! Were your Ho-oh lvl 45 or what?

It was Level 50. The problem was that Ho-oh got Leech Seeded and Meganium used Protect successfully several turns in a row.

Articuno took care of it, oddly enough. :lol

Unicorn said:
Knows morning sun which fully heals with sunny day. Had to breed with an espeon that knows morning sun (at lv 71). Now I'm levelling a male growlithe from that litter so he'll learn flare blitz as well and will share the subsequent offspring with neoGAF
Oh. I would love one, please.

CoolS

Unicorn said:

Oh, ok, that actually sound pretty awesome. To bad I can't get my DS online :(

cvxfreak said:
It was Level 50. The problem was that Ho-oh got Leech Seeded and Meganium used Protect successfully several turns in a row.

Articuno took care of it, oddly enough. :lol

Switching out will remove Leech Seed effects. Since you were using Ho-Oh and Articuno, the Pressure ability would've drained Leech Seed's PP quickly.

xDangerboy said:
Is there any way to make Eevee super happy any faster than just using/leveling him?

Hes 36 already and hes only "sort of happy".

Feed it berries and vitamins. But you probably don't have enough of those lying around to make too much of an impact though.

Balb

xDangerboy said:
Is there any way to make Eevee super happy any faster than just using/leveling him?

Fainting is the main obstacle when making your Pokemon happy. Your pokemon lose a lot of happiness points when they faint.

Some easy ways of raising happiness are...

1. putting the pokemon in the first slot of your party
2. giving it vitamins (protein, carbos etc)
3. gaining levels
4. Pokewalker
5. going to the barber brothers in the underground of goldenrod city

xDangerboy said:

Either take it to an early route with low level critters and keep letting it being hit, run away, heal, hit again, run away, heal, etc. Everytime you heal +1 happiness. Or you can take it to the cycling road in Kanto or if in Johto go to Goldenrod City and ride up and down.

cdyhybrid

Unicorn said:

Another question from one unfamiliar with breeding...If I get a male that knows those three moves, will any Growlithe offspring it sires have all three of those moves? Basically, if I get one from you, would I be able to rebreed it for IVs/nature, etc.?

Also, I would love one if you wouldn't mind :D He would be an upgrade over Typhlosion right? Would probably go with Flash Fire ability with Sunny Day, Morning Sun, Flare Blitz, Extremespeed. My planned team:

Typhlosion w/ Blaze
-Eruption
-Fire Blast
-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam

Umbreon w/ Synchronize
-Dark Pulse
-Moonlight
-Confuse Ray
-Toxic

Starmie w/ Natural Cure
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Surf

Ampharos w/ Static
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Heracross w/ Guts
-Megahorn
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Swords Dance

Togekiss w/ Serene Grace
-Body Slam
-Air Slash
-Roost
-Substitute

Holy shit. I was looking up my dream steel team on seribii.net and discovered the existence of like 7 new pokemon. Looks like you can get alot of these fucker in Platinum. Im kinda sad i missed that version.

Metroid Killer said:
Either take it to an early route with low level critters and keep letting it being hit, run away, heal, hit again, run away, heal, etc. Everytime you heal +1 happiness. Or you can take it to the cycling road in Kanto or if in Johto go to Goldenrod City and ride up and down.

the lead pokemon still gets walking exp if you're on the bike?

cdyhybrid said:
Another question from one unfamiliar with breeding...If I get a male that knows those three moves, will any Growlithe offspring it sires have all three of those moves? Basically, if I get one from you, would I be able to rebreed it for IVs/nature, etc.?

If the 3 moves you're referring to are Morning Sun, Flare Blitz, and Sunny Day, yes. When you're rebreeding, make sure you don't leave the parent in the daycare for so long that Morning Sun gets overwritten by another level up move though. Flare Blitz and Sunny Day are less of a concern since they are learned by level up and TM respectively anyway. Having those bred on is mighty convenient though.

xDangerboy said:
to get Eevee to evolve do I need to get him a haircut or can he get happy enough without it?
It doesn't matter, all those things are just ways to get +happiness.

Get a haircut, heal eevee lots of times, give it vitamins, ride long distance on your bicycle, level it up a few times. They all give +happiness, so if you are near Goldenrod you might as well get a haircut, otherwise combine it as you see fit.

cdyhybrid

xDangerboy said:
to get Eevee to evolve do I need to get him a haircut or can he get happy enough without it?

It helps, but you don't need to. It has to be at 220 happiness. Check here to see what the happiness rater's response means.

Only 3 trophies left, and only one record to break (the hurdle jump, which I haven't really attempted yet). But made some improvements here and there

Neogaf Pokeathlon Records

Categories:

Speed:
Metroid Killer: 513 points

Power:
Metroid Killer: 525 points

Skill:
Metroid Killer: 559 points *new*

Stamina:
Metroid Killer: 530 points *new*

Jump:
Metroid Killer: 473 points

Individual Disciplines:

Hurdle Dash:
Metroid Killer: 80.6 seconds

Pennant Capture:
Metroid Killer: 51 pennants *new*

Relay Run:
Metroid Killer: 17.6 laps

Block Smash:
Metroid Killer: 140 blocks

Circle Push:
Metroid Killer: 66 points

Goal Roll:
Metroid Killer: 14 goals *new*

Snow Throw:
Metroid Killer: 74 points

Ring Drop:
Metroid Killer: 156 points

Lamp Jump:
Metroid Killer: 552 points

Disc Catch:
Metroid Killer: 93 points

Individual Pokemon with all 5 medals:
Metroid Killer: 104 Pokemon *new*

Hall of Fame:
Metroid Killer: 4825 points, 37 trophies *new*

Feel free to add yourself (or pm me) or ask question about strategies.

I don't if it is frowned upon or not in pokeGAF, but I'm trying to change my DS's date so i can get another haircut.

The problem is its not working. I'll change the date to one without either brother there, but the original brother is still there.

Is there some failsafe against this action I don't know about?

EDIT: Nvm little fucker finally evolved!

Axis said:
is there a certain time nincada is available in the bug-catching contest?
Post national pokedex, only Thursdays.

Wow just found out that I skipped Mt. Mortar, new cave to discover (and new pokemon to get!)

This...game...is...huge!

JohnTinker said:
Whitney's MILTANK used MILK DRINK

#($&%!

I forget what the Ice leaders name is but EVERYTIME I got his pokes down to 10/20% they would go to sleep and completely reheal! Only reason I beat him was because it used sleep talk and used Rest again :lol

Mom bought me a moonstone \o/ but can decide If I want a Nidoking or not.

Oh also what are the chances someone has a Jolly Sneasel? Not got much to trade mind you :/

upandaway said:
I've used *ahem* a rather unhealthy amount of time at the pokeathlon... it's because of those damn trophies! I just need to get them all! And it takes 150 pokemons to get the next trophy, then I only need one(though I'm afraid it'll take 300...)

This game is bad for you if you got the slightest OCD in you :lol

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Late, but:

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Not even via the box trick? In 3rd gen, you were able to EV train a level 100 pokemon, put into the PC, log off, log back in and take it out again. When you took it out again, all its EVs were recalculated.

I've also found this trick for gen 4. Basically, at level 100, give your pokemon one EV in a stat you don't want, then EV train as normal. When you're done EV training, use a stat-reducing berry to reduce that unwanted EV to zero. Doing this makes the game recalculate *all* the pokemon's EVs and you get the stat-up from the rest of the EVs you put in.

You're welcome :D
This is false. I am 99% sure that the box trick only works for 1st (and maybe 2nd) gen.

The other trick sounds interesting. Never heard of it before, but based on the fact that berries and vitamins are the only two things that can alter EVs on level 100 Pokemon, it should work.

xDangerboy said:
I don't if it is frowned upon or not in pokeGAF, but I'm trying to change my DS's date so i can get another haircut.

The problem is its not working. I'll change the date to one without either brother there, but the original brother is still there.

Is there some failsafe against this action I don't know about?
Set your clock to 23:59, start the game, and let the clock roll over to the next day. This was how you did it for similar events in DPPt.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So it turns out that the Viridian Gym sort of does have a theme this time. It's
Trick Room

Ace Trainer sends out Stantler. "lol"
Dragonair used Dragon Rush. The attack missed! "Feh."
Enemy Stantler used Trick Room. "Buh?"
Enemy Stantler used Me First. Enemy Stantler used Dragon Rush. Dragonair fainted! "....."

Welp, I'm in Mt. Silver now. The team:

Typhlosion lv51
Togekiss lv52
Sudowoodo lv51
Espeon lv51
Gyarados lv51
Dragonair lv52

Oh yeah. Feeling real good about my chances.

EDIT:
Pikachu
OHKOs this entire team. Without crits. Sometimes with not very effective attacks. I haven't skipped any NPC trainers. I haven't used any other Pokemon for the duration of the game except these six. They all have either neutral or beneficial natures and abilities. No one else has siphoned any EXP from this party, and their EVs are all maxed out if not distributed properly.

This is everything I hoped it would be. I mean, I purposely held back on priority moves and saved Gyarados for last because of Intimidate just because I wanted to see if he could do it. But still.

Salaadin

Gym 8 is rough as hell without Ice. My Kingler knows Blizzard but hes level 32 and was getting one shotted like nothing. I somehow managed to pull it out with Electivire and Steelix...until she used her Dragonair with Fire Blast to kill my Steelix. I barely made it out in one piece.

Then when its all said and done, the bitch tells me I have to go through the Dragons Den to get the badge. Im going to choke her.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
What's a good nature for a Dratini? I've caught 7 of them in the Pokewalker, but none of their natures have been + to special attack, which I'm assuming is what I'd want.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
JohnTinker said:
Whitney's MILTANK used ROLLOUT

Rocky fainted!

#($&%!

More like. ;)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
TheSeks said:
JohnTinker said:
Rocky is infatuated
Rocky is infatuated
Rocky is infatuated
Rocky is infatuated

Rocky fainted!

#($&%!
More like. ;)
Is pretty much how it went for me. :( Only decent fighting move I had was a low kick on my elekid, which barely dented it. Haven't used a machop at all, though I think I had a few.

Of course, after Rocky finally went down, my Murkrow came in and crushed the Miltank in just two wing attacks.

Johann

Monroeski said:
What's a good nature for a Dratini? I've caught 7 of them in the Pokewalker, but none of their natures have been + to special attack, which I'm assuming is what I'd want.

Dragonite has higher Attack than Sp. Attack and can learn Dragon Dance (+Speed and +Attack) by simply leveling up. Adamant is a highly recommended nature. Don't let that stop you from thinking a mixed Dragonite (using Draco Meteor, in particular) with a combination of special and physical attacks isn't effective.

Don't get too caught up in it since it's very difficult to screw up a Dragonite for the single-player game. Chances are you'll probably shelve it after
Extremespeed proto-Dratini becomes available and spreads it among its progeny.

Wichu

Gamer @ Heart said:
Holy shit. I was looking up my dream steel team on seribii.net and discovered the existence of like 7 new pokemon. Looks like you can get alot of these fucker in Platinum. Im kinda sad i missed that version.
If you mean Rotom, Giratina and Shaymin's new forms, you can get those in HG/SS. For Giratina, you'll need to choose it in the Arceus event, though.

Echoes

Unicorn, all the luck with your Growlithe. I sent you a PM the other day so I presume it's enough. I will ask my friend a Lucky Egg for you as he have 17 ones.

Beat Erika yesterday. Started Sapphire + Platinum to get different Pokemons\items\TMs...etc; so much fun.

Oh, and while looking for Sapphire, I found this awesome gem :D

78203746.jpg

My original Gold cart :D

And damn Smogon for being down since yesterday :-(

Boo at no UK release until Friday. :-(

Yay at having a friend at a games store buy it for me early. :)

Got Heart Gold, as a friend got Soul/Superior Silver. Whatever. Normally, when a new Pokemon game(s) comes out, I look at the list of exclusive Pokemon for each version, and there's usually one version that comes out on top, but for HG/SS, I think they're equal, as both have roughly the same amount of exclusive Pokemon that I like.

Although I'll probably end up getting Soul Silver further down the line anyway. I end up buying all versions of Pokemon eventually (with the exception of Leaf Green, for some reason).

Anyway, HG/SS have GORGEOUS boxes.

I've just changed the cover of the Pokewalker to the belt clip (I actually don't know why they didn't just have that as the standard, and do away with the non-clip, as that one seems redundant to me), and I'm about to start up the actual game itself now. Can't wait to sucked into my favourite generation of Pokemon all over again!

Top Bottom