• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ravien56 said:
So more poke walker questions, this is the last one I swear! I'm actually kind of using this thing to count my steps and its not resetting the steps when a new day comes...does it just reset when you do a transfer to the ds?
Nope. The amount of steps resests every midnight. So if you wanna catch a pokemon which requires a lot of steps and has already walked the required steps, you have until the rest of the day to catch it. The next day you'll have to walk the required steps again.

Watts are transfered to the DS only when you connect the DS and pokewalker.

So if you have walked 10237 steps and has 403 watts on your Pokewalker when you go to sleep, you'll wake up to a 0 steps and 403 watts pokewalker the next morning :D

ravien56

Metroid Killer said:
Nope. The amount of steps resests every midnight. So if you wanna catch a pokemon which requires a lot of steps and has already walked the required steps, you have until the rest of the day to catch it. The next day you'll have to walk the required steps again.

Watts are transfered to the DS only when you connect the DS and pokewalker.

So if you have walked 10237 steps and has 403 watts on your Pokewalker when you go to sleep, you'll wake up to a 0 steps and 403 watts pokewalker the next morning :D

Theseks said:
:S

It just doesn't make sense because its 8am right now and I still got 5000 steps logged...

Can somebody explain to me what the bottom boxes in each of these charts mean? For example, why are the Group A Pokemon listed underneath all the others? I'm assuming that it's the liklihood of certain Pokemon appearing, but I can't get my head around those figures.

Mafro

Can anyone recommend me a decent DSi-compatible USB WiFi dongle to use with this? I've got the official Nintendo one, but it doesn't work with Windows 7.

Ben2749 said:
Can somebody explain to me what the bottom boxes in each of these charts mean? For example, why are the Group A Pokemon listed underneath all the others? I'm assuming that it's the liklihood of certain Pokemon appearing, but I can't get my head around those figures.
The Pokemon from group A determines how rare the pokemon from other groups are once you have gather steps.

If we take the first course:
At 0 steps you are 100% sure to find a Sentret, however lets say you walk 2000 steps and happen to find a Dodou (now we know pokemon A). At 2000 steps you have 70% chance to run into a Dodou, 22.5% of running into the Group B pokemon and 7.5% chance of running into the Group C pokemon.

If it had been Kangaskan that had been the Group A pokemon, it would be more rare at only 50% while the pokemon from the other groups would be more common.

What does this mean? Just because some Pokemon are in the same group, it doesn't mean that they appear at the same rate. It also means that once you have walked the required steps to unlock the Group A pokemon, on the earlier courses this will make the Group C pokemon very hard to find, usually being under 10%.

But I don't really care about how rare they are anyway as it's all about having enough watt and try and try again.

I've caught several Munchlax (5%) which is one of the rarest pokemon on the pokewalker courses.

joelseph

Mafro said:
Can anyone recommend me a decent DSi-compatible USB WiFi dongle to use with this? I've got the official Nintendo one, but it doesn't work with Windows 7.

Does not exist, the official one is a custom buffalo and AFAIK there were never any driver support beyond XP 32bit

I see. Thanks. :)

I do think it sucks though that the Pokemon that appears from each group is randomly decided, and you have no way of knowing if the one you're after is even catchable on that particular stroll. Say I wanted a Munchlax, I could be trying for absolutely ages, like you, and I wouldn't know if it it's even possible to catch or not.

Spending a lot of watts to catch a Pokemon is one thing, but spending them when you don't even know if it's a possibility or not, when you're also trying to save up watts to unlock better Pokewalker courses strikes me as somewhat poor design. I sure as hell don't want to risk spending a TON of watts trying to catch something rare, when it might not even be possible, when I could be saving up those watts for more courses instead.

I don't see why all six Pokemon can't be catchable (assuming you've walked the necessary steps). They could just adjust the appearance rates accordingly. I wouldn't mind that Munchlax being even rarer if I knew for fact that he could appear at all. Either that, or the Pokewalker should just outright say which three Pokemon are lurking in the grass.

Johann

Ben2749 said:

When you the Pokewalker's Poke Radar to search for Pokemon, you would notice that each search on a grass patch is punctuated by an "!" progressing from "!" to another "!" to "!!" to finally "!!!." Each Pokemon group will only appear in its corresponding group:

! = Group C

! (Second time) = Group C or B

!! = Group B or A

!!! = Group A

As you can see, it's relatively easy to encounter a Group C Pokemon. Rare Pokemon are in Group A and require you to get a '!!' or '!!!' in order to encounter them. However, note that this is the scenario once you've accumulated enough steps to encounter all the Pokemon. Otherwise, you won't encounter the rare Pokemon.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention that you're selection is randomized. Sometimes you won't encounter the rare Pokemon you want in spite of how far you get with the Poke Radar. You'll have to start the route over in order to reset the selection.

I just picked my SoulSilver copy today and I am not really interested in this PokéWalker thing, so is it necesary to use this device in order to get any Pokémon that cannot be caught otherwise?

Ben2749 said:
I see. Thanks. :)
Spending a lot of watts to catch a Pokemon is one thing, but spending them when you don't even know if it's a possibility or not, when you're also trying to save up watts to unlock better Pokewalker courses strikes me as somewhat poor design.
I agree that it's poor design, but only because the later courses requires an insane amount of watts to unlock. If the total amount required for the last stage was 50.000 watts(which still is a whole damn lot), then I wouldn't mind all the times I've used watts in vain. But with the need of 100.000 watts beside what you use on catching pokes and items, every single watt is dearly precious.

I've had the game since the beginning of January and I have used the pokewalker for an insane amount of time, since this is my first pokemon game since Red, the pokewalker is a great way to get rare pokemon for the pokedex. But I still only have 35.000 watts... I'm not even halfway! I'm even far from halfway, and I've basically been milking my pokewalker nonstop for 2 and a half months.

That is a bit insane, just like the insane parts of the Safari Zone are insane!

jdogmoney

Minister of the Dog said:
I just picked my SoulSilver copy today and I am not really interested in this PokéWalker thing, so is it necesary to use this device in order to get any Pokémon that cannot be caught otherwise?

Nah, sir. Any Pokemon you catch in the 'walker are easily traded for, if they are exclusive. I don't actually know off the top of my head if there are any exclusives, but trading makes that a non-issue.

It's worth looking into, though, if you want a cheap way to raise happiness. You might could be surprised at how much you walk in a day.

Choopy

Neo Member
:lol
jdogmoney said:
Nah, sir. Any Pokemon you catch in the 'walker are easily traded for, if they are exclusive. I don't actually know off the top of my head if there are any exclusives, but trading makes that a non-issue.

It's worth looking into, though, if you want a cheap way to raise happiness. You might could be surprised at how much you walk in a day.

Just curious... Where are you guys getting these avatars?

I kind of want one. :lol

jdogmoney said:

Well, then I'll give it a try if it helps to raise happiness. Thanks ;)

Ondore

So I've got to grind about 20 levels EACH to get ready for
Red
- currently at L56 for the team and I need to be L75 to have a hope in hell.

Am I correct that the best way to do this is toggle my DS clock like mad to unlock the Gym Leader/other trainer rematches, then club the
second Elite 4
around?

This is why I'm not a big fan of the 2nd gen games... the endgame grind drops off a freaking cliff.

Ok I mentioned earlier today that I would try to get some Lucky Eggs and give them out... Well 4hours+ and I only got 3 of them... Even with the perfect conditions: Chansey Swarm, got a really great Catcher Pokemon, Compoundeyes ability... But with a catch rate of 30 it would take me more than 10 balls to capture, eventhough it was sleeping at 1HP. And with moves like Sing, Minimize and Softboiled it couldn't get anymore frustrating.

So sorry, only got 3 eggs.

Now, Willxc123 and Unicorn expressed interest in a Lucky Egg on the previous pages, that leaves 1 Lucky Egg left.

It's up for grabs for the first person who wants it.

I'm actually wondering if you can use several Pokewalkers with one HG/SS. The manual says that when you've transferred a Pokemon to a Pokewalker, that Pokewalker can only transfer the Pokemon back to that same game, but it says nothing about the Pokewalker and game being "linked" in general. If anything, I'd say the fact that even after you send a Pokemon for a stroll, the HG/SS still shows the option for "go for a stroll" makes it seem like you could use several.

I'm thinking about eventually buying Soul Silver (in addition to my copy of Heart Gold), so a second Pokewalker would really help rack up the watts.

Choopy

Neo Member
Metroid Killer said:
Ok I mentioned earlier today that I would try to get some Lucky Eggs and give them out... Well 4hours+ and I only got 3 of them... Even with the perfect conditions: Chansey Swarm, got a really great Catcher Pokemon, Compoundeyes ability... But with a catch rate of 30 it would take me more than 10 balls to capture, eventhough it was sleeping at 1HP. And with moves like Sing, Minimize and Softboiled it couldn't get anymore frustrating.

So sorry, only got 3 eggs.

Now, Willxc123 and Unicorn expressed interest in a Lucky Egg on the previous pages, that leaves 1 Lucky Egg left.

It's up for grabs for the first person who wants it.

May I ?

Vanille

Ondore said:
Am I correct that the best way to do this is toggle my DS clock like mad to unlock the Gym Leader/other trainer rematches, then club the
second Elite 4
around?

You don't need to toggle your clock. You can fight Gym Leaders as many times as you want in their time slot.

Choopy

Neo Member
Metroid Killer said:
Sure
My FC is 5156 4291 4002

Thanks! This'll make my dream team a reality much easier :D .
I'm not at home right now (@ work) so I can't get my FC yet. I'll PM you as soon as I get it. I get home around 6.

Hope you don't mind the wait.

No problem at all. Though I'll be gona for the rest of the day (got a class to teach, and then off to bed, live in Europe), so we'll most likely have to trade tomorrow, but try send me a pm just in case. :)

I haven't played a pokemon game since the original silver and gold.

So looking through this thread is a little ridiculous. I pretty much have no idea what any of you are talking about when it comes to nature, lucky eggs, breeding, etc. Shits going right over my head :lol

That being said, I still have over 24 hours played into Heart Gold so far and its a blast. Just seems like there is a whole other side to this game I have no idea about.

Magni

xDangerboy said:
I haven't played a pokemon game since the original silver and gold.

So looking through this thread is a little ridiculous. I pretty much have no idea what any of you are talking about when it comes to nature, lucky eggs, breeding, etc. Shits going right over my head :lol

That being said, I still have over 24 hours played into Heart Gold so far and its a blast. Just seems like there is a whole other side to this game I have no idea about.

That is the magic of Pokémon. Serebii, Smogon, Bulbapedia, if you're ever curious there are tons of great sites on the web to introduce you to the other side of Pokémon :D

Oh Christ im at Victory Road!
Got a
50 Sneasel
45 Ho-Oh
43 Typhlosion
35 Gyrados
36 Amphros (sp)
and 33 Ursaring.

Do I only need Strength to get through as I can leave my hm slave at home and give it to ursaring till I can wipe it later, also can you get leftovers in hg/ss?

I think sides in plural is more correct to use when it comes to Pokemon. There are so many ways to play these games.

And eventhough it might seem a little bit overwhelming with all these deeper layers, it doesn't actually take that long to get everything down, the next question is which way you'll decide to play it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm bored. Someone battle me.

2750-6983-3519

Also tell me how seriously I should construct my team.

Edit: nm. Busy now.

Choopy

Neo Member
Metroid Killer said:
No problem at all. Though I'll be gona for the rest of the day (got a class to teach, and then off to bed, live in Europe), so we'll most likely have to trade tomorrow, but try send me a pm just in case. :)

Alright. Looks like we're going to have to try and schedule something :lol.

MagniHarvald said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19536646 &postcount=285 There you go.

Thanks! Took Raikou. :D

Choopy

Neo Member
Johnlenham said:
Oh Christ im at Victory Road!
Got a
50 Sneasel
45 Ho-Oh
43 Typhlosion
35 Gyrados
36 Amphros (sp)
and 33 Ursaring.

Do I only need Strength to get through as I can leave my hm slave at home and give it to ursaring till I can wipe it later, also can you get leftovers in hg/ss?

I believe so... Is Snorlax not holding them when you catch him?

Choopy said:
I believe so... Is Snorlax not holding them when you catch him?
Not caught one yet but I was checking it on bulbapidea and it had ??? for HG/SS location that's all

Also all these bloody rock pokes are ruining me! I need a decent water one :/

Johnlenham said:
Not caught one yet but I was checking it on bulbapidea and it had ??? gor HG?SS location thats all

ALso all these bloody rock pokes are ruining me! I need a decent water one :/
The only way I've gotten Leftovers is from the Pokewalker Event course, Winner's Path, where a Munchlax holds Leftovers.

It's however also one of the rarest pokemon to catch on the pokewalker.

OMG Aero

My copy arrived today and I'm loving it so far. I'm only at Sprout Tower at the moment but I managed to catch a Wobbuffet and Venonat on the Pokewalker.
Mafro said:
The Nintendo dongle does work on Windows 7. I have used it on my 7 PC.

Metroid Killer said:
The only way I've gotten Leftovers is from the Pokewalker Event course, Winner's Path, where a Munchlax holds Leftovers.

It's however also one of the rarest pokemon to catch on the pokewalker.

Great...
Dont suppose anyone has either a Squirtile or Totodile I could have? About the only thing I can think of of my lot anyone would want is Phanpy though :lol

Gravijah

Johnlenham said:
Great...
Dont suppose anyone has either a Squirtile or Totodile I could have? About the only thing I can think of of my lot anyone would want is Phanpy though :lol

Matters if you want it in level 1 eggform.

Pagusas

Elden Member
is anyone willing to catch and trade me a Growlithe? I dont care what gender or level, just want one. I dont have alot to trade, maybe a Pokemon exclusive to Silver like Vulpix? PM me or reply here if able please!

Friend Code: 1978 2356 7351

OMG Aero

Choopy said:
So I want to raise an electivire.
What nature/EV's/moveset would one recommend for competitive play?
I used an Electivire on my Platinum team with Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Earthquake and Cross Chop and it was pretty much the best Pokemon on my team. It can hit almost anything for super effective damage.

btkadams

can someone explain to me how you are supposed to trade with a friend at the global trade centre? im so confused. i went to trade but i thought you needed friend codes? i'm in a room where it gives me too options: deposit pokemon, or seek pokemon. i dont want to just throw my kadabra out there. i want to trade ot my friend and get it back lol.

btkadams said:
can someone explain to me how you are supposed to trade with a friend at the global trade centre? im so confused. i went to trade but i thought you needed friend codes? i'm in a room where it gives me too options: deposit pokemon, or seek pokemon. i dont want to just throw my kadabra out there. i want to trade ot my friend and get it back lol.
GTS is only with strangers. Go downstairs in a PokeCenter and in the middle you can connect and trade with your friend.

You can sorta trick the GTS by deposit a pokemon and require some very specific in return (which your friend needs to have obviously), otherwise there's a big risk or some stranger trading your pokemon.

OMG Aero

btkadams said:
To trade with a friend over wi-fi you just go downstairs in any Pokemon centre. The GTS building is for random people over the Internet.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there anyplace where I can get more than 200 EXP a pop in Johto for Swinub? 200 or there about EXP every battle is... tedious esp. with no self-destruction protection.

Top Bottom