• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Gravijah

Guardian Bob said:
Can't find the trading thread... Oh well.

I'm looking for a Bulbasaur. I have 3rd and 4th gen starters if yer interested.

I can make you a Bulba egg if you'd like. Just give me a heads up so I can.

Edit: Actually, got a Bulbasaur egg now. Just tell me when you want it.

Cool. I got my fancy Pichu, although it's level 30. Since I've been out of the Pokemon thing for a while, is there anything on the Wii I can download to transfer my Pearl Pokemon to my HeartGold without using another DS?

Is something wrong with my Pokewalker? I'm using it for the first time, and I tested it by shaking it a bit, but it isn't recording each shake as a step, like my old Pocket Pikachu 2 did. It just seems to erratically add a whole bunch of steps to the total every so often.

Unicorn

Ben2749 said:
Is something wrong with my Pokewalker? I'm using it for the first time, and I tested it by shaking it a bit, but it isn't recording each shake as a step, like my old Pocket Pikachu 2 did. It just seems to erratically add a whole bunch of steps to the total every so often.
It waits a bit before calculating the steps. I guess to counterbalance if you stop walking, then continue so you don't get a bunch of notes saying "pikachu walked 15 steps. pikachu took a short break. pikachu walked 30 steps. etc"

Also, update on the growlithes:

Growlithe is about 44 now, so after school tonight I'll continue training and hopefully start the breeding tonight with the flare blitz/morning sun/sunny day babies.

Still looking for a Lucky Egg... or some rare candies.:lol

Gravijah

Ben2749 said:

You can't just shake it to get a ton of steps, it won't work. When I shake it though, I hit it down, like onto my thigh or couch, and then it counts them.

Unicorn said:
It waits a bit before calculating the steps. I guess to counterbalance if you stop walking, then continue so you don't get a bunch of notes saying "pikachu walked 15 steps. pikachu took a short break. pikachu walked 30 steps. etc"

Also, update on the growlithes:

Growlithe is about 44 now, so after school tonight I'll continue training and hopefully start the breeding tonight with the flare blitz/morning sun/sunny day babies.

Still looking for a Lucky Egg... or some rare candies.:lol

I remember trying to get a Lucky Egg... No luck. :lol I'd like to call dibs on one of those FB/MS/SD babies though.

silverbullet1080 said:
@ lake rage after beating Jasmine.

Feraligatr 40
Pidgeot 38
Vulpix 35
shiny Pikachu 37
Umbreon 31

I may be getting a bit overpowered.

I don't think you are. You only have Pryce, and Claire left before the E4. You'll be at about the right level.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Cool. I got my fancy Pichu, although it's level 30. Since I've been out of the Pokemon thing for a while, is there anything on the Wii I can download to transfer my Pearl Pokemon to my HeartGold without using another DS?

Nope. DS to DS only, or you could connect to somebody via wifi and do the lengthier process of trading to him and then switching your game, logging in again and trading back (requires some sacrificial pokemon, of course)

Diglet

Neo Member
2 more days until I can get the game :)
Im so excited.

I usually have 1 powerful pokemon. Im going to try to get a whole team of same(ish) level pokemon instead of one 10 times as strong as all my others, pokemon.

upandaway

Crazymoogle said:
Nope. DS to DS only, or you could connect to somebody via wifi and do the lengthier process of trading to him and then switching your game, logging in again and trading back (requires some sacrificial pokemon, of course)
And it hurts so, so much. Speaking as someone who transferred about 200 of those between two DSs (my awesome friend caught 300 Bidoofs for me *tear*) and still has 400 to go.

What gives me strength is my OCD, the thought of having my Pokedex on my Platinum save file (that is not corrupt for some whatever fucking reason). And the break from school before my finals.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I didn't really think to ever not evolve a pokemon, but I was just thinking about doing this to a smoochum I might get from the Pokewalker. Is there ever situation where it is not advisable to evolve a pokemon through normal levling?

DarkKyo

Do most of you nickname your pokemon? I'm just wondering if I'm gonna run into a lot of nicknames when I battle online or enter tournaments on here.

Also, do you nickname your pokemon IN ALL CAPS like their original name or do you tone it down to just first letter cap?

Trojita said:
I didn't really think to ever not evolve a pokemon, but I was just thinking about doing this to a smoochum I might get from the Pokewalker. Is there ever situation where it is not advisable to evolve a pokemon through normal levling?
Some Pokémon get abilities faster in their pre-evolution form, or they get abilities their evolved form doesn't get.

Unicorn

Trojita said:
Growlithe and pikachu or most pokemon you force evolution on with stones. Also keep pre-evos if you wanna learn moves faster

upandaway

Dechaios said:
Do most of you nickname your pokemon? I'm just wondering if I'm gonna run into a lot of nicknames when I battle online or enter tournaments on here.

Also, do you nickname your pokemon IN ALL CAPS like their original name or do you tone it down to just first letter cap?
Yeah, I nickname my team, and if I get a Pokemon and a nickname immediately springs up, I'll put that on too.

Most recently, for my renewed Platinum playthrough, I'll pick Torterra and call him Africa, it's too obvious.
"AFRICA Used Earthquake!"

DarkKyo

upandaway said:
Yeah, I nickname my team, and if I get a Pokemon and a nickname immediately springs up, I'll put that on too.

Most recently, for my renewed Platinum playthrough, I'll pick Torterra and call him Africa, it's too obvious.
"AFRICA Used Earthquake!"
Lol, interesting... So you go with the ALL CAPS naming then? I'm debating on what looks better/more natural for this game before I nickname my starter.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
I just beat Bugsy and this is my current team:

Level 18 - Bayleef
Level 19 - Flaaffy
Level 10 - Togepi
Level 13 - Gastly

How's my team doing overall? Any suggestions?

My other two Pokemon are probably going to be Espeon/Umbreon and Mamoswine.

Crazymoogle said:
I just did this with Nayishiki, thanks again for your help pal. We only transferred 6 pokemon though, some essentials for my run through of Gold to support my team: Bidoof for HM slavery, Piplup for my water support, Staravia (cus Pidgey sucks) my shiny Pichu and a complimentary Chimchar; and for him his set of legendaries.

Even that took a bit of time to organize, so I can't even begin to imagine doing that shit with 200+ pokemon...at least not via Wi-Fi. :lol

Might be less painful in person.

upandaway

Dechaios said:
Lol, interesting... So you go with the ALL CAPS naming then? I'm debating on what looks better/more natural for this game before I nickname my starter.
Really depends what you're used to. Playing since the GB days, I really can't handle it not being in all caps, not to mention it will not match the NPC or wild Pokemon names aesthetically.

DarkKyo

upandaway said:
Really depends what you're used to. Playing since the GB days, I really can't handle it not being in all caps, not to mention it will not match the NPC or wild Pokemon names aesthetically.
Aren't human names in this only first cap? I've only met Lyra and Professor Elm so far but they both are within this trend.

I recall the human names used to be all caps, but are they in this game?

Just checked out my pokemon's natures and I must say, I am disappointed. My Totodile has reduced Atk, my Gastly has reduced Sp Atk as does my Mareep. Now, this won't matter much in-game, but it's still somewhat annoying.

Also, is Jumpluff any good? I caught a Hoppip earlier and I think it looks kind of neat.

Gravijah

Dechaios said:
Aren't human names in this only first cap? I've only met Lyra and Professor Elm so far but they both are within this trend.

Used to be all caps, but not in HG/SS nope.

upandaway

Dechaios said:

Humans, items, everything is pretty much normal now, except for Pokemon names. And I hate it.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Just checked out my pokemon's natures and I must say, I am disappointed. My Totodile has reduced Atk, my Gastly has reduced Sp Atk as does my Mareep. Now, this won't matter much in-game, but it's still somewhat annoying.

Also, is Jumpluff any good? I caught a Hoppip earlier and I think it looks kind of neat.
Jumpluff can be one of the most disruptive pokemon out there, but you might find yourself wondering if he deserves an entire slot in your team.

He can sleep powder faster than infernape can attack, he can leach seed/sub, he can status/u-turn away. He can encore a pokemon keeping them stuck on a useless attack or buff. He is useless as far as attacking goes though.

I really love jumpluff and he doesn't need egg moves to work in-game. Just be sure to know that he isn't going to be knocking any pokemon out with anything other than slow leech seeding.

If I didn't already have venusaur, I would probably have him in my team.

Dechaios said:

I still do my name in all caps out of habit. Same thing for nicknames.

Another question about the Pokewalker; am I right in believing that the amount of Watts necessary to unlock new areas is unlocked with your current watts, and not from total watts ever earned? So if you use watts to find Pokemon/items, you only end up having to wait even longer before you can unlock new areas?

Also, Pokemon not learning moves after levelling up in the Pokewalker is complete bullshit. I shouldn't have to look at a guide to see if a Pokemon is due to learn a move next level, and I should always be able to use the Pokewalker whenever I feel like it without any consequences. It's supposed to be a quick, simple, and mindless way of levelling up Pokemon for when you can't play the DS game. So why should I sometimes be penalised for using it?

Ben2749 said:
Another question about the Pokewalker; am I right in believing that the amount of Watts necessary to unlock new areas is unlocked with your current watts, and not from total watts ever earned? So if you use watts to find Pokemon/items, you only end up having to wait even longer before you can unlock new areas?

Unlocking is based on total watts earned.

Hatchet Man said:
Unlocking is based on total watts earned.

Really? Because I spent a bunch on catching Pokemon and finding some items, and then had 3 left over. When I connected with my DS again, only 3 watts were transferred back.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Up to the ice cave. Delibird keeps dying too easy for me to catch it. Damn it. And I forget what the strength on the rocks does for the lower level, my day has been shot and I don't really feel like playing Pokeymans right now.

Ben2749 said:
Really? Because I spent a bunch on catching Pokemon and finding some items, and then had 3 left over. When I connected with my DS again, only 3 watts were transferred back.

My apologies I just looked it up on Bulbapedia and it turns out I was wrong.

Yeah, I just earned 12 watts, spent 6 on the Pokewalker, and after reconnecting with my DS, only 6 watts were transferred back.

I see no reason why they couldn't have went by your total, as it's going to take long enough to unlock all the areas as it is; making us choose between it taking even longer or refrain from catching Pokemon and finding items is kind of stupid. Especially since the whole point of unlock new areas is to do those two things.

Man, whenever I watch TV from now on, I'm going to be shaking this thing non-stop, to unlock the areas as fast as possible.

Unicorn

Ben2749 said:
Yeah, I just earned 12 watts, spent 6 on the Pokewalker, and after reconnecting with my DS, only 6 watts were transferred back.

I see no reason why they couldn't have went by your total, as it's going to take long enough to unlock all the areas as it is; making us choose between it taking even longer or refrain from catching Pokemon and finding items is kind of stupid. Especially since the whole point of unlock new areas is to do those two things.
Then what would be the point of collecting watts aside from using them AS you get them.

I actually think it's an ingenious idea to get us to reconsider how we spam catch pokemon on it or try to get a bunch of items.

Do you want to spend 100+ watts trying to catch a dratini instead of playing the voltorb flip game, or do you want to save them up for the next course where you'll have a chance to start nabbing rare candies from the dousing game and run into pokemon from other regions?

It give it a little depth instead of making the core game overly easy by giving you easy/early access to pokemon you wouldn't normally run into. (like kangaskhan). But it also gives kids/people the option to put effort in Real Life to get a sort of accomplishment in the game. Sort of defeats that purpose if it just gives you both...

nli10

Ben2749 said:

Probably works like the activity meter and doesn't count motion that is non circular or for less than 10 seconds. Will only report the values after each minute I should think too.

upandaway said:
And it hurts so, so much. Speaking as someone who transferred about 200 of those between two DSs (my awesome friend caught 300 Bidoofs for me *tear*) and still has 400 to go.

What gives me strength is my OCD, the thought of having my Pokedex on my Platinum save file (that is not corrupt for some whatever fucking reason). And the break from school before my finals.

493/493 on diamond
478/493 on platinum thanks to transfers

...and I hit the thousand mark on Pokeranch to get mew. There is a vast civilization of zigzagoon in the pre-industrial age right now, and I don't dare to visit it. :lol

kzn said:
does anyone know if the luck incense and amulet coin stack if both pokemon battle?

Reasonably sure they don't.

LowParry

Okay. So this Poke Walker. What are the benefits of using it now? If I missed it, apologies. Just looking for a straight up answer is all. :)

CcrooK said:
Okay. So this Poke Walker. What are the benefits of using it now? If I missed it, apologies. Just looking for a straight up answer is all. :)

It's a way to play a little bit of Pokemon while you're walking around.

1. Every step is worth 1xp for the pokemon you put on it, up to 1lvl worth.
2. Your pokemon also continuously gains happiness (up to the maximum)
3. You can use energy accumulated from walking to encounter wild pokemon or get items.
4. If you encounter another pokewalker user you can use the IR beam to give each of you a free item (once a day). I just got TM11 for this today, actually...

The pokewalker holds up to 3 extra pokemon and items, which you can at any time dump into your DS game to earn the rewards and free up your pokewalker to accumulate more stuff.

What's the recommended build for a Togekiss?

I've been leveling mine up and wondering what would be some good moves to use on him. Any suggestions?

Hex

Banned
Anyone outside of the US available for a junk trade to open "Beyond the Sea" Pokewalker course?
(Also really in need of a dusk stone if someone has an extra)

Jokey665

Hex said:
Anyone outside of the US available for a junk trade to open "Beyond the Sea" Pokewalker course?
(Also really in need of a dusk stone if someone has an extra)
I just unlocked that today. You can search by country on the GTS. I snagged a japanese abra for a chikorita, took a few minutes to breed it but overall pretty painless.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Man the Pokewalker sucks at times. I got 500 watts and transferred them to my half broken DS Lite. Instead of unlocking all of the walking areas up to 500 watts, I believe 3 in total, it only unlocked the first one that requires 20 watts.

edit: nevermind, it seems you have to transfer pokemon multiple times if you have enough points to unlock more than one course. Kind of a lame waste of time.

Hex

Banned
Jokey665 said:
I just unlocked that today. You can search by country on the GTS. I snagged a japanese abra for a chikorita, took a few minutes to breed it but overall pretty painless.

People on the GTS are freaking idiots for the most part.
Sure, I will gladly give you a Celebi for a lvl 3 Ratata.
Are these people serious?

Animatik

Neo Member
Anybody mind helping me transfer a couple of pokes from my diamond over to my silver?

Diamond FC: 0517 8714 1668

Silver FC: 4082 7688 8325

Top Bottom