• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

btkadams

Metroid Killer said:
GTS is only with strangers. Go downstairs in a PokeCenter and in the middle you can connect and trade with your friend.

You can sorta trick the GTS by deposit a pokemon and require some very specific in return (which your friend needs to have obviously), otherwise there's a big risk or some stranger trading your pokemon.
OMG Aero said:
To trade with a friend over wi-fi you just go downstairs in any Pokemon centre. The GTS building is for random people over the Internet.
ah, thank you! sorry for the noob question.

TheSeks said:
Is there anyplace where I can get more than 200 EXP a pop in Johto for Swinub? 200 or there about EXP every battle is... tedious esp. with no self-destruction protection.
Victory Road pokemon give about 800-900 exp.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Metroid Killer said:
Victory Road pokemon give about 800-900 exp.

Note: I haven't beaten the Gym in Blackthorne, so I doubt I can go to Victory Road?

Ondore

There's a grass area on Route 44 that has Bellsprout, Weepinbell and Tangela. Although they can hit a Swinub for super-effective damage with their Grass attacks, Swinub can hit them back with Ice attacks. I haven't been there in a while, but I'm pretty sure Weepinbell/Tangela are >350 exp each.

Pagusas said:
is anyone willing to catch and trade me a Growlithe? I dont care what gender or level, just want one. I dont have alot to trade, maybe a Pokemon exclusive to Silver like Vulpix? PM me or reply here if able please!

Friend Code: 1978 2356 7351

I could go try and grab one if you can get a vulpix :)

Fowler

You guys are hardcore, so I feel terrible asking this, but...

...anyone got a low-level Pikachu they can trade with me? :)

Pagusas said:
is anyone willing to catch and trade me a Growlithe? I dont care what gender or level, just want one. I dont have alot to trade, maybe a Pokemon exclusive to Silver like Vulpix? PM me or reply here if able please!

Friend Code: 1978 2356 7351

Managed to get 3, would have got 6 if the little shites hadn't used roar :lol
!4, 15 , 15 All Male.

Unicorn said:
Metroid you still around? Are you available to trade me a lucky egg?
Back again... I'm betting that you are away now :lol

lantus said:
So not having played a Pokemon game since Red, which is the version to go for?
This is my first game since Red as well *high five*. It doesn't matter which version you get really. Biggest changes:
HG: Get Ho-oh early, Lugia later. Kyogre (water whale legendary) exclusive... a handful of exclusive pokemons that can easily be traded/given to you by most of us.
SS: Lugia early, Ho-oh later. Groudon (ground monster legendary) exclusive... a handful of exclusive pokemons that can easily be traded/given to you by most of us.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Merovin said:
Oh yes I love Game! Got delivered today, that's my evening gone. I just want to play with the pokéwalker!
Aw jeah! Nice when it hits a day early :)

However, all I can do tonight is read the manual and sniff the packaging, because I promised my Pokepal (who's got Silver waiting for him) we'd start out together... How's that for broship? :lol

*Sniff*

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:

This is my first game since Red as well *high five*. It doesn't matter which version you get really. Biggest changes:
HG: Get Ho-oh early, Lugia later. Kyogre (water whale legendary) exclusive... a handful of exclusive pokemons that can easily be traded/given to you by most of us.
SS: Lugia early, Ho-oh later. Groudon (ground monster legendary) exclusive... a handful of exclusive pokemons that can easily be traded/given to you by most of us.

Hey Metroid, what exactly unlocks Round Two in the Pokeathlon? I've got access to the first two extra rooms and I don't think it's unlocked yet.

Unicorn

Metroid Killer said:

Getting on again before work. On now.

Merovin

B-Genius said:
Aw jeah! Nice when it hits a day early :)

However, all I can do tonight is read the manual and sniff the packaging, because I promised my Pokepal (who's got Silver waiting for him) we'd start out together... Gay. :lol

*Sniff*

I was probably supposed to do the same, battle my mate after each gym and what not. But I just couldn't leave it staring at me all night. :p
Perhaps just an excuse to get the other version to play it with him still. xD

Gravijah said:
Hey Metroid, what exactly unlocks Round Two in the Pokeathlon? I've got access to the first two extra rooms and I don't think it's unlocked yet.
I'm not quite sure what the requirements are. But around the time I beat the E4, I unlocked All-Star mode where the competition got tougher plus a bigger bonus for placing 1st.
hmm beating the initial high score for every discipline also unlocked a room if I recall correctly.

I think I've spent 6 hours in the Safari Zone trying for a lucky egg now. No luck yet, but I did catch me a shiny Wooper! It's pink!

It's funny because I haven't seen a shiny (Gyarados doesn't count, duh) since the paras I caught in Leaf Green, and my worst fear was finding one in Safari Zone. I was freaking out after it busted out of two balls, certain it was gonna flee on me, but it didn't and the third safari ball caught it. Phew!

Now to get back to endlessly catching Chansey..

HappyBivouac said:
You should wait till there is a Chansey swarm which will make Chansey show up 40% of the time on the route and having your own pokeballs, plus a good pokemon to catch Chansey is less frustrating than what you are doing. I got 3 eggs in 4 hours this way.

Unicorn said:
Thanks so much metroid you've saved me a ton of time in the future!
You're welcome :D

lantus

Metroid Killer said:

Sweet, I'm thinking Silver is where it's at. Thanks for the info!

I didn't know you could pick up wild pokemon from the pokewalker and stroll with them if you didn't import one. It was such a surprise to see a wild Wooper join me and help me catch more. :D

ronito said:
this is my first pokemon game ever. I'm shocked at the amount of content.

Pokemon really is the ultimate replay value game.

Metroid Killer said:
You should wait till there is a Chansey swarm which will make Chansey show up 40% of the time on the route and having your own pokeballs, plus a good pokemon to catch Chansey is less frustrating than what you are doing. I got 3 eggs in 4 hours this way.

I think I will go that route. I'll check the radio when I'm off work. God I am so sick of the Safari Zone..

TheSeks

Ondore said:
There's a grass area on Route 44 that has Bellsprout, Weepinbell and Tangela. Although they can hit a Swinub for super-effective damage with their Grass attacks, Swinub can hit them back with Ice attacks. I haven't been there in a while, but I'm pretty sure Weepinbell/Tangela are >350 exp each.

Route 44 is to the west of the Seventh Gym (Mahogony Town?) There is no patch of grass there. Are you sure of the right route?

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
I got my game in January and haven't bought a game since then :lol

I had to choose between FFXIII and SS. It honestly wasn't that hard of a choice, as I'm going to be able to borrow FFXIII from a friend now.

btkadams

fuck i cant stop playing and i need to go to class soon.

EDIT: i think im gonna stay home and eat poutine and play pokemon like a boss playa.

The Pokewalker is actually starting to annoy me, as it's only registering about half the steps I take.

My old Pocket Pikachu 2 worked flawlessly, so I don't see why this damn thing won't work properly.

btkadams said:

EDIT: i think im gonna stay home and eat poutine and play pokemon like a boss playa.

Wise choice. Do you make your own poutine? I'm from the US and I've never had the stuff, but it always sounded like the most heavenly food on the planet.

btkadams

i just got a level 15 dratini from the dragon cave that knows that extreme speed move. would it be a good idea to level it up and have it as a team member over my onix? i was planning on turning the onix into a steelix because i thought itd be good.

this is my team so far:

Meganium - 40
Alakazam - 37
Feraligatr - 39
Pidgeotto - 33
Onix - 35
Typhlosion - 37

maybe i should take something else out instead of the onix? advice please! thanks
i was also thinking of using a legendary bird pokemon instead of my pidgeotto at some point. but i see dragonite also learns fly? decisions, decisions.

HappyBivouac said:
Wise choice. Do you make your own poutine? I'm from the US and I've never had the stuff, but it always sounded like the most heavenly food on the planet.
making my own of course! haha, well my brother is. we just make fries, gravy and cut up a bar of mozza. we don't use the whole big bar obviously. im trying to think of if its a certain kind of mozza, not sure! tasty though. it sucks that its probably the worst thing a person could ever eat and put their body through haha.

TheSeks

Ben2749 said:
The Pokewalker is actually starting to annoy me, as it's only registering about half the steps I take.

My old Pocket Pikachu 2 worked flawlessly, so I don't see why this damn thing won't work properly.

Do you clip it or put it in your pocket? I put it in my front left pocket and it seems to count steps fine for me. :/

btkadams said:

Heh I managed to get sick so ive been layed up in bed, pc on for GAF and playing all day:lol

Gravijah

TheSeks said:
Do you clip it or put it in your pocket? I put it in my front left pocket and it seems to count steps fine for me. :/

It seems to count MORE steps than it should when you just let it go free in your pocket.

Choopy

Neo Member
Gravijah said:
It seems to cunt MORE steps than it should when you just let it go free in your pocket.

Yea, just stick it in your pocket and forget about it.
It registers around 7500-8000 steps a day for me. Should be way lower than that. :lol

Machine

Following this thread is almost as fun as playing the game!

I have my first 8 badges and traveled up to Victory Road but felt the need to backtrack before facing the E4 so I could play more Voltorb Flip and do some grinding. My main team, (all between level 30 and 40 ATM):

Feraligatr
Golem
Gengar
Beedrill
Noctowl
Ampharos

I put Fly on Noctowl. Flash and the other 7 HM moves are on my two slaves - Golduck and Furret. Their levels are really low. I probably should level them a bit just in case.

HappyBivouac said:
I think I've spent 6 hours in the Safari Zone trying for a lucky egg now. No luck yet, but I did catch me a shiny Wooper! It's pink!

It's funny because I haven't seen a shiny (Gyarados doesn't count, duh) since the paras I caught in Leaf Green, and my worst fear was finding one in Safari Zone. I was freaking out after it busted out of two balls, certain it was gonna flee on me, but it didn't and the third safari ball caught it. Phew!

Congrats! The worst was a shiny Growlithe, who used Growl.... :sad

Seems like the shiny encounter rate has gone up in these games.

Gravijah

biggyfries said:
Congrats! The worst was a shiny Growlithe, who used Growl.... :sad

Seems like the shiny encounter rate has gone up in these games.

I think it's the same, more of a placebo effect from everyone playing so much.

TheSeks

Gravijah said:
It seems to count MORE steps than it should when you just let it go free in your pocket.

If you have loose pockets that dangle, maybe. But it seems to count steps pretty fine for me, even with baggy jeans. Then again I try to keep my top half close to my hips and have the "baggy" part be the feet so they nearly cover my shoes. So... :lol

oblo

Release is a disaster overhere in Belgium (and The Netherlands for sure, statements from Nintendo talk about the "Dutch language version", don't know about the rest of Europe), it's simply not happening...yet.

Yesterday we got the news about the saving bug in Heart Gold, today we called everyone with a pre-order to tell them and suggest switching to Soul Silver... Soul Silver came with the delivery today, we had enough to cover pre-orders for both titles but then a few hours ago some more news came in from Nintendo: Soul Silver is bugged as well, please send them back, we will give a new releasedate tomorrow... Good thing we didn't break the release date, would have been worse but tomorrow is going to be not much fun anyway working in a gamestore... Me personally, I was actually considering trying this as my first Pokémon game ever, I guess that won't be happing. Oh well.

Merovin

Does anyone know what the battery life on the Pokéwalker is like? Also, if I leave it whilst walking around, it won't make any noise will it? Only if I go to use it?
(Considering taking it to work tomorrow. :lol)

Top Bottom