• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

OMG Aero

I just got to Goldenrod and I can confirm it has the worst Game Corner ever.
Normally I just buy the coins for the prizes anyway since the slot machines are just luck, but since you can't buy coins in this one you forced to play Voltorb Flip which is terrible.

Vanille

Jeels said:
my question is, when is the best time to evolve scyther?

Never. >.>

No, really, soon as possible. There aren't any moves Scyther needs to learn to make the standard overpowered Scizor.

Kurtofan

FINALLY :D
The games just came out today in France and I've been playing HG for 2 hours now :D
So great,already caught a few pokemon hehe.

Morokh

Kurtofan said:
FINALLY :D
The games just came out today in France and I've been playing HG for 2 hours now :D
So great,already caught a few pokemon hehe.

Same here :D

I'm just wondering, I saw a 'Wii message' Option in the menu, what is it for ?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Taking a break now. Beat the first gym easily since the infamous Roost didn't make an appearance. Managed to get my favourite Unown, 'H', as the default Pokédex image. I dubbed him 'HFromSteps'.

Salaadin

Its not letting me go on to Victory Road until I do this Ho-oh stuff. Ive gotten as far as letting the girls summon him down and then flying back to new bark but Lyra still says "where do you think your going" to me. Is it really forcing me to fight a pokemon that i have little chance of catching? I dont want to kill it :(

Salaadin said:
Its not letting me go on to Victory Road until I do this Ho-oh stuff. Ive gotten as far as letting the girls summon him down and then flying back to new bark but Lyra still says "where do you think your going" to me. Is it really forcing me to fight a pokemon that i have little chance of catching? I dont want to kill it :(

You can kill it for experience points and catch it later. It respawns after you beat the E4. Stats and nature won't be set either.

ivysaur12

Banned
Got to the Elite 4, died at Koga with two of his Pokes still left. Guess I'm gonna need to get more revives/hyper potions and train a bit more. Though I find the best way to train with the elite 4 is to keep challenging them and lose while gaining some exp.

Choopy

Neo Member
Nayishiki said:
I have one FC is 3653 2713 6337.

I got one but it's Timid Nature.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it.
It's okay, I can just breed it to get the nature I want.

FC is 5371 2685 7136.

Are you around right now? If not we can do it some other time because I'm going out soon.

OMG Aero

Lyra is such a liar. She rang me up to say her Marrill evolved, then I ran into her in the Goldenrod Underground and she still had a Marrill.

N4Us

Zilch said:
I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I found her Miltank quite easy to bring down because I traded a female Drowzee for a female Machop to the kid in the Department Store.

Oh whoa, I didn't know about that. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
ivysaur12 said:
Got to the Elite 4, died at Koga with two of his Pokes still left. Guess I'm gonna need to get more revives/hyper potions and train a bit more. Though I find the best way to train with the elite 4 is to keep challenging them and lose while gaining some exp.
Yeah, letting yourself die without resetting the game to a save is a weird feeling (for me, at least), but I've get to level up before I can get through them.

Echoes

Ho-oh - #250 (Adamant)
HP: 28
Att: 22
Def: 18
SpA: 12
SpD: 25 - 26
Speed: 9

.........isn't that good? Damn, got it on my first try >_> with the 2nd Ultra Ball lol. (Lv70)

Salaadin

Ok caught Ho-oh. Now I need a pokemon with Waterfall and I just see that my Kingler cant learn it so I need to bring a slave thru victory road with me. Why can Mew the psychic cat learn it but my freaking crab cant? This game baffles me sometimes :lol

JSnake

Salaadin said:
Ok caught Ho-oh. Now I need a pokemon with Waterfall and I just see that my Kingler cant learn it so I need to bring a slave thru victory road with me. Why can Mew the psychic cat learn it but my freaking crab cant? This game baffles me sometimes :lol

Don't you have the red Gyarados?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Odious Tea said:
There's a Voltorb Flip solver somewhere. Wish I had it before I wasted a few hours on it. Luckily, I had nothing else to do.

WHERE

I desperately need it. I can figure out the puzzles on my own but it takes me FOREVER. I'd enjoy Voltorb Flip more if it took less of my time away from playing actual Pokémon.

I feel abit bad that my Ursaring and Sneasel are wrecking shit.
I got to Vermillion and Ursaring can pretty much OHKO people with Slash at level 47 and now hes got sleep/sleep talk Hes at 100% hp kicking ass and taking names unconscious oh yeah and he has Earthquake :lol

Sneasel is stupidly fast and just ice shards people to death. I feel bad for my other pokes stuck at 40>33.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I noticed in the Viridian Gym that Tauros can learn Surf. Thought that was kind of weird.

Anyway, has anybody noticed that they changed how the roaming legendaries' run away? In previous games, if your lead Pokemon was slower than the roamer, then the roamer would run away before you could do anything to it. In HGSS it seems that you're guaranteed to get one turn on them even if you're slower. My Sudowoodo shouldn't be outspeeding anything but it got a hit in on Raikou before it fled.

EDIT: Someone tells me I'm mistaken on this. Will have to check later.

Salaadin said:

Victory road only needs Strength unless you count it from New bark Town all the way to the E4.
The actually V road is just a cave with rocks, oh apart from rocksmash that helps you get a TM if memory serves.

So where's the closest place you can revive fossils? Pewter City? I just got a Helix Fossil from Alph Ruins. I wanted a Dome Fossil cause Kabutops is better than Omastar but it turns out it's SS exclusive. :(

Unicorn

For anyone that missed out on the flare blitz, morning sun, sunny day growlithes:

I have about 20 males left and a handful of females.

The best time to get this going will be Tuesday, as I'm at work all weekend. Tuesday is completely free, so PM me and ill add you.

I'll gladly take any pokemon that anyone has bred moves onto as well. Trash pokes are fine too if you just want a BA growlithe :D

Echoes

Where do you get fossils exactly? In the area (that needs surf) with 4 or 5 rocks, in the Ruins of Alph?

And yeah I think Pewter City is the only place to revive them.

Edit: Unicorn, I won't be available at Tuesday :( I assume you can't now, eh?

Echoes said:
Where do you get fossils exactly? In the area (that needs surf) with 4 or 5 rocks, in the Ruins of Alph?

Rock Smash the rocks in the ruins and you have the chance to encounter a pokemon or get an item.

Nayishiki

Echoes said:

You can get Helix(HG) or Dome(SS) fossils at the Ruins of Alph you can also get some Old Amber there. You can get Root(SS) or Claw(HG) fossils at Cliff Cave.

sazzy

So, this is my first Pokemon game. Got HeartGold. Started with the fire Pokemon, its already evolved into some lava-thing and got my first badge today.

I'm only like 1.5 hours in. What should I know before spending more time with this?

Unicorn

Echoes said:

Edit: Unicorn, I won't be available at Tuesday :( I assume you can't now, eh?
Currently at work for the next 4 hours. I get off at the same time all weekend, so theere is some time ill be able to get on briefly. Tonight I'm going out with friends though...

depward

First Pokemon game here and I got the whole "use a skill thing on a Pokemon to light up the cave" and I still haven't yet because I'm crazy that I'll use it on a Pokemon that sucks. What do I do? :(

Ondore

I got all my Synchronizers out of the Game Corner after buying Porygon. 4000 coins for every nature you'd ever need.

Though I suspect I only need a few of them. Aside from Modest, Timid, Jolly, Adamant and Bold (which I keep for my own, rule-screwing purposes) which ones should I keep?

Echoes

Unicorn said:
Currently at work for the next 4 hours. I get off at the same time all weekend, so theere is some time ill be able to get on briefly. Tonight I'm going out with friends though...
I'll be sleeping now. Well, we can figure it out later so don't worry :D and thanks for the great offer.

Will try my luck tomorrow for the fossils.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
sazzy said:
So, this is my first Pokemon game. Got HeartGold. Started with the fire Pokemon, its already evolved into some lava-thing and got my first badge today.

I'm only like 1.5 hours in. What should I know before spending more time with this?
Ignore anything about advance play and just go with the flow as it's your first time.

depward said:
First Pokemon game here and I got the whole "use a skill thing on a Pokemon to light up the cave" and I still haven't yet because I'm crazy that I'll use it on a Pokemon that sucks. What do I do? :(

You dont really need Flash for anything else besides the cave.

Dogenzaka

Banned
sazzy said:

What should you know?
- It gets better. Way better. You may find the first couple of hours a bit slow, but that's because the game has to start somewhere and you'll be dealing with some pretty low-level Pokes. Once you reach Azalea Town (second badge) things pick up incredibly quickly and you'll soon be hit in the face with just how much content this game is going to throw at you.

I'm at 35 hours now and I'm only halfway through the campaign, and even after you're done with all the single-player there is an infinite amount of playing to do if you want to make the best Pokemon team through breeding and trading and raising, plus there are mini-games like the Bug Catching contest, Pokeathalon, Game Corners, and all sorts of other stuff.

Also, as far as tips goes, try to make the most diversified team as possible. Don't JUST use your starter Pokemon (Quilava) as you make your way through the game, because if you run into a Pokemon that is strong against it (Ground Types/Water Types) they'll wipe out your Pokemon with little effort.

A good starter team should have something like a Fire Type, Grass Type, Water Type, Rock/Ground Type, Electric Type, Psychic Type, or something like that. But play around and find what Pokemon you like best.

Keep in mind you can find more on your Pokewalker.

Off you go!

You dont really need Flash for anything else besides the cave.

I gave it to my bastard Entei. It's a good accuracy-reducer move I suppose.

Your best option is to find a Pokemon you can teach as many HM moves to as possible (aka "HM Slave") Or catch a duplicate of a Pokemon that can learn it and use that.

Keep in mind, later in the game, you will be able to force a Pokemon to forget HM moves if you need it.

Pikachao

Neo Member
depward said:

TM70 Flash is 1000 pokedollars at the department store in goldenrod city.

Wizpig

depward said:
First Pokemon game here
Wow, you know, I'm curious as to what made you buy this, and why did you ignore the series until now?
Of course this is valid for everyone who said it's their first Pokémon game.

But seeing as how "Gold/Silver" is still the best Pokémon game imo, and this is an enhanced remake... you are in for a damn good experience.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
depward said:
Don't bother with Flash for the moment: there's not much you can explore in the cave yet.

just FYI, you can buy copies of TM70, which teaches flash, in Goldenrod City

Top Bottom