• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

I really don't know which games I like more from a training perspective, D/P/Pt or HG/SS. I just feel like it's so much easier to get things done in the D/P series. From EV training to making money.

El Sloth

Banned
Jet Grind Radio! said:
I was missing a Fire type in my team, but when I got Magby shit's been WONDERFUL. Especially with Ember/Sunny Day.

This is exactly the reason why I switched out Quilava for him, only occasionally bringing him back for the nostalgia. Sucks that he won't evolve 'till 30 though.

Monroeski said:
I love Night Shade so much. Almost forgot about it when I made my Gastly forget it in favor of Shadow Punch.

Why would you do that? Shadow Punch is terrible on the Gengar family. Base 35/50/65 attack. Even with STAB it is going to do pitiful damage. Night Shade does damage = to your level making it great later in the game (generally if you want to get them in Shadow Ball KO range, while avoiding putting them in the red, thus preventing the AI from healing their Pokemon).

Dogenzaka

Banned
DarthWufei said:
I really don't know which games I like more from a training perspective, D/P/Pt or HG/SS. I just feel like it's so much easier to get things done in the D/P series. From EV training to making money.

I think the general consensus is Platinum is the best for training a super Poke team and stuff.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
DarthWufei said:
If Plat had the extra egg/tutor moves and the Power Item IV-passing, I wouldn't even think about using HGSS for training. As-is, I'm going to be looking for more good EV routes after I'm done sightseeing and finishing up loose ends in the quest. I really do want to just move everything over to HG and use that exclusively for 4th gen stuff eventually.

I also hope that the Smogonites figure out some easy methods for RNG-tweaking in HGSS by the time I'm done with everything.

OMG Aero said:
You need to progress far enough to catch a Pokemon.
I think you can use the walker right away, after you sync it anyway. It accumulates steps/watts and you can use it to find items even without putting a Pokemon in it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:
Why would you do that? Shadow Punch is terrible on the Gengar family. Base 35/50/65 attack. Even with STAB it is going to do pitiful damage. Night Shade does damage = to your level making it great later in the game.
Because I don't generally pay as much attention to the detailed stuff like base stats and IVs and crap as a lot of other people do, and because I don't hit a FAQ every time a new move pops up, and because I thought as I kept levelling Shadow Punch would outpace it in most situations that I use my Gastly.

Once I start hitting the end game I pay more attention to that type of stuff, but for now I'm just plugging through and having fun instead of worrying about it. I pretty much just clicked straight through the stat gain screen, so I didn't really even know or think about whether attack or s. attack was higher.

El Sloth

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
I think you can use the walker right away, after you sync it anyway. It accumulates steps/watts and you can use it to find items even without putting a Pokemon in it.

Is the pokewalker by default already on the first route? If so he may even get a pokemon to start randomly following him.

Also I have to say that Murkrow is fucking boss. Can't wait to get Scope Lens + Super luck + Night Slash for critical lols. Can anyone fill me in on when is the earliest you can get a Dusk Stone? Honchkrow would be god damn awesome.

Ugh. I just realized that I need to build up a supply of vitamins in Silver if I want utilize it as my "main" game. Grinding for B.P. is going to be fun. :lol

I might actually breed in this game too, now that the IV guy is back.
I never bred anything meaningful in Pearl

Sixfortyfive

Monroeski said:
Because I don't generally pay as much attention to the detailed stuff like base stats and IVs and crap as a lot of other people do, and because I don't hit a FAQ every time a new move pops up, and because I thought as I kept levelling Shadow Punch would outpace it in most situations that I use my Gastly.

Once I start hitting the end game I pay more attention to that type of stuff, but for now I'm just plugging through and having fun instead of worrying about it. I pretty much just clicked straight through the stat gain screen, so I didn't really even know or think about whether attack or s. attack was higher.
You don't need a FAQ to know that the Gastly family's SpAtk is roughly twice as high as its Atk on average. It shows that right on the summary screen.

Though honestly, I don't think Night Shade-esque moves that deal damage equal to level are great either (at least not on this Pokemon), so it doesn't really matter.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Little Green Yoda said:
Ugh. I just realized that I need to build up a supply of vitamins in Silver if I want utilize it as my "main" game. Grinding for B.P. is going to be fun. :lol

I might actually breed in this game too, now that the IV guy is back.
I never bred anything meaningful in Pearl

IV Guy?

Axis said:
Wait, there's an IV guy in this game?

Andrex said:

Yep, he's next to the PC in the Battle Tower. Just like the Emerald one, he tells you what your Pokemon's highest IV is and will also rate its overall IVs (such as "above average" or "wonderfully outstanding")

So useful when your Pokemon are only level one after hatching.

Sixfortyfive

Platinum had a guy in the Battle Tower who would give you some vague information on your Pokemon's IVs.

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/dpp_tips#hp_reporter

Not sure if this is what they're talking about or not.

EDIT: I would always just save, then use up my stock of 20+ rare candies to get a better idea on my IVs. Or an IV battle if I have a full party I want to check. The IV reporter isn't that specific.

Sixfortyfive said:
Platinum had a guy in the Battle Tower who would give you some vague information on your Pokemon's IVs.

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/dpp_tips#hp_reporter

Not sure if this is what they're talking about or not.

EDIT: I would always just save, then use up my stock of 20+ rare candies to get a better idea on my IVs. Or an IV battle if I have a full party I want to check. The IV reporter isn't that specific.

Yeah, that's him. I never played Platinum so I never knew that game had him too! When I breed in Emerald, I usually save on an egg and SR for IVs, so I don't usually save after hatching unless it's the right one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Little Green Yoda said:
Yep, he's next to the PC in the Battle Tower. Just like the Emerald one, he tells you what your Pokemon's highest IV is and will also rate its overall IVs (such as "above average" or "wonderfully outstanding")

So useful when your Pokemon are only level one after hatching.

I like viciouskillersquirrel's method. Although that requires 50 rare candies and I only have 12. :/ So that might have to do.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Jeez that Breloom Sixfortyfive gave me really saved my butt in this game. I've flown through the gyms thanks to it. Spore + Swords Dance + Seed Bomb has knocked out every Pokemon of every level of every type I've encountered in the game and I'm about to get my 16th badge. New favorite Pokemon.

Just let him sweep everything and give the rest of my team Exp. Shares.

So, so far, GameFreak has been adding things to these games over the past 12-15 years or so, and they haven't really done anything that's struck a nerve in gamers. They haven't "messed up" the formula by adding and changing, they've only improved it.

You think if they broke something or messed something up, that would be it for fan loyalty for the series among hardcore gamers?

(lol Brawl)

Dogenzaka said:
So, so far, GameFreak has been adding things to these games over the past 12-15 years or so, and they haven't really done anything that's struck a nerve in gamers. They haven't "messed up" the formula by adding and changing, they've only improved it.

You think if they broke something or messed something up, that would be it for fan loyalty for the series among hardcore gamers?

(lol Brawl)
I do kinda feel that they've been a bit TOO careful. I would like something very different from what we've gotten. I used to think that Silver wasn't as good as Red when I played it. But playing HeartGold, I do realize it's better in nearly every aspect. Especially the story. I've felt that R/S and D/P have been the same story as Red, but G/S and HG/SS have a vastly superior story and setting. Plus you can revisit the last game's world.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dogenzaka said:
Jeez that Breloom Sixfortyfive gave me really saved my butt in this game. I've flown through the gyms thanks to it. Spore + Swords Dance + Seed Bomb has knocked out every Pokemon of every level of every type I've encountered in the game and I'm about to get my 16th badge. New favorite Pokemon.

Just let him sweep everything and give the rest of my team Exp. Shares.

(lol Brawl)

If it were just one game, then the next games could get it back if they fixed it...

A couple of questions:

Is the time system intact? Morning, day, night, days of the week, lapras only on saturdays etc?

Is the game exactly the same as the old one? IE, could I use my pokemon gold guide to find all the rare candy?

Did the crystal improvements make it in?

Dogenzaka

Banned
jamesinclair said:
A couple of questions:

Is the time system intact? Morning, day, night, days of the week, lapras only on saturdays etc?

Is the game exactly the same as the old one? IE, could I use my pokemon gold guide to find all the rare candy?

Did the crystal improvements make it in?

-Yes

-Not exactly. Everything is left as is, but they've added new things to the game and items as well and may have shifted some of the item locations.

-Yes, and then some.

Dogenzaka said:
-Yes

-Not exactly. Everything is left as is, but they've added new things to the game and items as well and may have shifted some of the item locations.

-Yes, and then some.

Good to hear that.

Are there any good guides out? The Versus guide for gold was amazing. It listed everything....ie: in a section of grass, the percentage of each pokemon and each time of day.

And please, Im not interested in "play without the guide", the guide makes it more fun for me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Aren't the dungeon layouts completely different?

jamesinclair said:
Good to hear that.

Are there any good guides out? The Versus guide for gold was amazing. It listed everything....ie: in a section of grass, the percentage of each pokemon and each time of day.

And please, Im not interested in "play without the guide", the guide makes it more fun for me.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/

Eteric Rice

Little Green Yoda said:
Yeah, that's him. I never played Platinum so I never knew that game had him too! When I breed in Emerald, I usually save on an egg and SR for IVs, so I don't usually save after hatching unless it's the right one.

Well now that I know that guys there, that makes my life way easier.

Now I can just take my Pokemon to him. If they're good, I can check to see what they are, rather than having to check every single one.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Really? Aw. I was gonna buy it tomorrow. I know there IS going to be an update Pokédex book in April. Gonna pick that one up too.

Yeah, the reviews say they split the book in two (johto and kanto), and while the walkthrough is complete, it doesnt go into detail at all in items, trainers or even pokemon.

jamesinclair said:
Yeah, the reviews say they split the book in two (johto and kanto), and while the walkthrough is complete, it doesnt go into detail at all in items, trainers or even pokemon.
I don't mind the split between the two regions, but nor full detail? Eeeeeh. I'll look at it at work and decide if I want it.

Damn I'm never gonna finish this game :lol There's so much crap you can do in that I Keep postponing gym battles. And my pokedex is slowly but steadily being filled.

11 Badges
321 Pokemon
375 hours

And there's still so many things I haven't dvelved into. Only been in two of the towers in Battle Frontier, haven't touched any EV training at all. And more than half of Kanto is still waiting for me.

Metroid Killer said:
Damn I'm never gonna finish this game :lol There's so much crap you can do in that I Keep postponing gym battles. And my pokedex is slowly but steadily being filled.

11 Badges
321 Pokemon
375 hours

And there's still so many things I haven't dvelved into. Only been in two of the towers in Battle Frontier, haven't touched any EV training at all. And more than half of Kanto is still waiting for me.
Holy crap, duder. 375 hours? I don't think I've put that much time into anything, including WoW. :lol

Sixfortyfive

Dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I did notice that HGSS finally added an option for auto-leveling in local versus. "Flat Battle" uses Frontier leveling rules: If your Pokemon are over level 50, they will be temporarily reduced to level 50; any Pokemon at lower levels will remain at those levels.

Now my local friends and I don't have to get online to have an even match anymore.

EDIT: I only just recently passed the 400-hour mark in Platinum, and I've been playing that game regularly since its US release. I've almost done everything that there is to do in it.

300+ hours in a few months is kind of crazy.

Vanille

Metroid Killer said:

11 Badges
321 Pokemon
375 hours

o.o

Um... wow. 375 hours and only 11 badges? That has to be some kind of record.

Dogenzaka

Banned
HOLY SHIT I could never last 300 hours before my 11th badge.

Whenever I have a new game, feel uneasy and unpleasant until I beat it. After that, I feel like I can relax and go back to play.

Now that I've gotten all 16 badges I feel like I can slow down and enjoy the game more.

Delio

Finally remade my Smeargle with Spore/False swipe/Mean Look. Not sure what the last move will be just yet but hey i am ready for legends now.

Metroid Killer said:

11 Badges
321 Pokemon
375 hours

:lol

Compare this to my post last page. 7 years, Ive played 40 hours and gotten 7 badges in ruby :lol

I wish I could see how much I put into gold, but my battery died :(

DS saves last forever right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Dunno if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I did notice that HGSS finally added an option for auto-leveling in local versus. "Flat Battle" uses Frontier leveling rules: If your Pokemon are over level 50, they will be temporarily reduced to level 50; any Pokemon at lower levels will remain at those levels.

Now my local friends and I don't have to get online to have an even match anymore.

Good but still not as good as having options to level up/down to 50 and 100.

Sixfortyfive

Delio said:
Finally remade my Smeargle with Spore/False swipe/Mean Look. Not sure what the last move will be just yet but hey i am ready for legends now.
Ingrain. Prevents the roamers from fucking you up with Roar. More useful than Taunt because it doesn't actually prevent them from using Roar and therefore Struggling themselves to death earlier.

I opted to split the trapping/catching duties between Smeargle and Breloom. Smeargle's stats are so low that you have to level him a bunch to be of much use as an attacker.

Though I just looked up the legendaries' movesets and it turns out that not many of them have recovery moves, so I'm probably over-prepared. I'm a little disappointed, really. Was hoping that Mewtwo would be just as much of a pain in the ass to catch in this game as he was in FRLG. (Recover + Safeguard? Aaagggggggghhhhhhh)

Killadji

Hi there,
I'm going to recieve the game any minute from now.
I just bred a few Munchlax in Platinum and I want to transfer it to my SoulSilver version as soon as possible. I have only one DS.
Anyone that would help ?
Thanks.

Axis

Killadji said:
Hi there,
I'm going to recieve the game any minute from now.
I just bred a few Munchlax in Platinum and I want to transfer it to my SoulSilver version as soon as possible. I have only one DS.
Anyone that would help ?
Thanks.

i can help you...just pm me your FC when you're ready

Sixfortyfive said:
Ingrain. Prevents the roamers from fucking you up with Roar. More useful than Taunt because it doesn't actually prevent them from using Roar and therefore Struggling themselves to death earlier.

I opted to split the trapping/catching duties between Smeargle and Breloom. Smeargle's stats are so low that you have to level him a bunch to be of much use as an attacker.

Though I just looked up the legendaries' movesets and it turns out that not many of them have recovery moves, so I'm probably over-prepared. I'm a little disappointed, really. Was hoping that Mewtwo would be just as much of a pain in the ass to catch in this game as he was in FRLG. (Recover + Safeguard? Aaagggggggghhhhhhh)
I might have to remember that when I start Legendary Huntin'.

Top Bottom