• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

upandaway

I bet you could delete phone numbers using that save file program thing... but it wouldn't work for those that aren't playing on a flash cart (which is pretty much everyone because of the Pokewalker).

The only other solution is restarting, which if all you did is the main quest, a good opportunity to try using an overpowered team early on and see how fun it is or something.

Edit: I didn't even take those guys' phone numbers because I thought they might call me every second to give me a repel or a potion. I decided that once I'll finish the league I'll go back and get all of their numbers again to get free stuff, now that I know they're good things like stones and berries.

Axis

i have a ton of substitute/baton pass/swords dance scythers i need to give away...if you want one just pm me your fc

1591 6876 4222

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
beje said:
I had to paralize her (twice, because first time, she heals with a berry), drop her accuracy to the minimum and drop her attack like 3 or 4 times and she still managed to steamroll my quilava and flaafy that were like 5 or 6 levels above, then out of pure lack beat it with a HM-slave Onix at level 6 spammin rock smash :lol

Oh yeah, I forgot about the full heal berry. It was like a 10-minute struggle against the Miltank alone so I forgot that little detail at the beginning of the fight :lol

I'm kinda amazed it took out your Quilava and Flaafy if they're 5 or 6 levels higher. All my Pokémon were levels 18 to 20 (I think Milktank is 19?) and I didn't lose any. I remembered Miltank's Rollout from when I played Silver and Gold 10 years ago, so I knew the first thing I had to do was Flash it a bunch of times so it would miss during its Rollout and not steamroll me.

N4Us said:
Goddamn do I hate Whitney. I don't really have anything with fighting moves right now so her Miltank fucks my shit up everytime.

Fighting moves don't even really help, from what I saw. That damn cow has so much defense and HP that even super-effective moves don't do much to it. It's more important to make it blind, deaf and dumb with status effects and stat modifiers, then wear it down with whatever your strongest Pokémon's best attack is.

Galactic Quail said:
You know what? You made me realize some of these nicknames made no sense from plain view, so i'll give you a kudos on that, but let me clarify it for you.

The amount of work I put into Aerodactyl's IV and Speed (Being Jolly and having MAX speed) made me feel like it's a damn great pokemon, so I decided to call it 'king', but KING felt too typical for me, so I went with the swahili version.

I called Garchomp 'Scar' because, well, I figured a pokemon like that would be the type of pokemon that would be rough, so I wanted it to sound like a tough pokemon.

But yeah, great try. Do you have any thoughts on my team? :)

LoL nice reasons.

As far as your team goes, I don't have anything insightful to say. I don't know every Pokémon's best stat potentials, or what moves they all get, or anything about IVs really. I know most Pokémon's types and I know what moves they're more likely to have based on that, but that's about it. I'm pretty casual. That said, I think Snorlax is one of the best fucking Pokémon to have on a team, ANY team, so it's awesome you have him in there. It looks like you're missing fire, ice and electric moves, but I assume Aerodactyl has those covered, right?

Echoes

I clocked 61 hours, I really don't feel like doing it again. At all :(

The phone is the main weakness of the game IMHO. So dumb and stupid. At least give me the option to turn it off. At the very least, stop the ringing :\

Axis, can you reserve me one? I'll finish work after 5 hours.

Axis said:
i have a ton of substitute/baton pass/swords dance scythers i need to give away...if you want one just pm me your fc

1591 6876 4222
\o/ Can never seem to catch one in the bug contest!
Hopefully it will go better than our last attempt at trading :lol

Echoes

Thanks Axis, I'll post here when I'm home.

I just wanna say that I've been here since Pokemon Red. I bought a GBC for it. And yet, I never caught 8 freaking Shuckle just to find a nature that suits me the best (and days ago I was making fun of it). EV training ruined me >.>

And I don't even know what IV is.

Echoes said:
And I don't even know what IV is.
Individual values, IVs for short, sometimes also known as determinant values, DVs for short, are the Pokémon equivalent of genes. They are instrumental in determining the stats of a Pokémon, being responsible for the large variation in stats among untrained Pokémon of the same species.

Each of the six battle stats has an IV associated with it, with that IV coming into calculation alongside the Pokémon's base stats and EVs to determine the actual stat number. A Pokémon's IVs are determined when it is generated by the game; when it is obtained as an egg from the Pokémon Day Care, encountered in the wild, or given to the player by an NPC.

Axiom

This is the first time I've not been able to find a team I'm happy with leveling up. Been using Butterfree, Flaffy and Beyleaf and I was so happy to run into my old buddies Tauros & Misdreavus that this may be my first game where I can't bring myself to go with all new (to me) Pokemon leveling up.

Really wish Politoed wasn't such a pain to get. I love that underpowered bastard but I've always had another far better water pokemon I was fond of by the time he was obtainable.

Though granted I used Relicanth instead of it last game...so maybe I just love it in concept more than practice

Axiom said:
This is the first time I've not been able to find a team I'm happy with leveling up. Been using Butterfree, Flaffy and Beyleaf and I was so happy to run into my old buddies Tauros & Misdreavus that this may be my first game where I can't bring myself to go with all new (to me) Pokemon leveling up.

Really wish Politoed wasn't such a pain to get. I love that underpowered bastard but I've always had another far better water pokemon I was fond of by the time he was obtainable.

Same for me. I'm currently in Ecruteak going with Espeon, Croconaw, Fearow, and Vulpix. Can't really figure out what I want to use in-game. Probably gonna pick up a Sneasel later, at least. Fearow is a fucking beast, though. It took down Whitney all by itself, haha. Seriously, props on the Tauros, though. Once you get that thing Choice Banded, it can seriously take some names. Every time I battle online, that thing MURDERS people.

Still trying to figure out what I'd like to EV train with this version. Did Feraligatr, Typhlosion, Heracross, Ampharos, and a few that I can't remember on my JPN HeartGold, and I've already got a lot of EV'd Johto Pokemon from my R/S carts...probably gonna go with Slowking and a few others that I haven't done before.

Pikachao

Neo Member
Just lined up this morning to be the first in and buy it as the store opened. :p

Currently running lvl 8 cyndaquil, lvl 4 ratatta and sentret, lvl 3 bellsprout.

Haven't really got a team thought out yet. Hoping to get dragonite again like old times.

The result (of the berry trick) is that you'll never "officially" max out your EVs, but one EV probably won't make one lick of difference to your stats anyway.

Don't EVs calculate when you put a pokemon in the PC and withdraw it anyways? That seems like a lot more trouble...

EDIT: mamoswine is disgusting and ruined swinub's evolution chain. It should gtfo.

Zilch

Banned
N4Us said:
Goddamn do I hate Whitney. I don't really have anything with fighting moves right now so her Miltank fucks my shit up everytime.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I found her Miltank quite easy to bring down because I traded a female Drowzee for a female Machop to the kid in the Department Store. A female Machop is immune to Miltanks Charm and a few Low Kicks will put her away no problem.

I thought I had no chance of beating Morty's Gengar, but I had my Noctowl repeatedly use Hypnosis on him and I slowly Pecked him to death. Can't believe it worked.

Wanace

I just got the
GB song player thingy
and I've switched over to it. Makes me really feel like I'm playing the originals again.

And anyone who wants to use Synchronize to catch a certain natured pokemon, I recommend you go to the patch of grass in the Ruins of Alph and catch Natu. It's very common, really easy to catch (just throw balls) and you can catch a ton in a short span of time. Only problem is some of them have Early Bird, but you can just ditch those. I've caught a modest, adamant, and jolly one in my first group of 20. Making it easier for me to catch those pesky legendaries with the right nature.

Salaadin

My guys are kinda underlevelled right now. Im at Ho-Oh. Is the game going to let me leave and do Victory Road to gain some levels before coming back? I hated how it forced me to fight those damn Kimono girls. What a bitch that was with mostly level 32 pokemon. It doesnt force me into fighting Ho-Oh before continuing the story, does it?

Also, are there any good level grinding places? I hate getting this measly 250 xp per battle. It takes so long.

Salaadin said:
My guys are kinda underlevelled right now. Im at Ho-Oh. Is the game going to let me leave and do Victory Road to gain some levels before coming back? I hated how it forced me to fight those damn Kimono girls. What a bitch that was with mostly level 32 pokemon. It doesnt force me into fighting Ho-Oh before continuing the story, does it?

Also, are there any good level grinding places? I hate getting this measly 250 xp per battle. It takes so long.
Ho-oh is optional, you can do it anytime you want.

Victory Road gives you around 800-900 exp per pokemon.

Salaadin

Metroid Killer said:
Ho-oh is optional, you can do it anytime you want.

Victory Road gives you around 800-900 exp per pokemon.

Perfect. Ill pass on Ho-oh for now and get my pokemon up to a decent level. It seems most trainers I fight now (Clair, Dragons Den) are 5 or 6 levels higher than my lowest. I hate when that happens.

I can get the XP share from Mr Pokemon now right? I have a red scale.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
When do you get Fly in this game? Really getting annoyed with not being able to hop around the map without going through shitty grass patches or dealing with repels.

Also, thinking of moving a Riolu from my Pearl game into HG. I was about to go see what might be a good move to breed onto a Riolu, when I remembered that Riolu/Lucario may be one of those Pokemon that is unable to breed. Can anybody tell me if they can or not, and if they can, what would be a good move to move over? I don't have access to basically any Pokemon websites from this computer, though I found an Egg Move list randomly through a google search so I'm assuming it's possible.

I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread but can you get Dratini anywhere else besides the game corner? I've got a little over 1000 points in the game and don't know if I should spend more time playing Voltorb flip for it.

Axis

VGChampion said:
I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread but can you get Dratini anywhere else besides the game corner? I've got a little over 1000 points in the game and don't know if I should spend more time playing Voltorb flip for it.

you can catch them later on before the elite 4

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
VGChampion said:
Pokewalker is where I got it, a few hours before I even reached the game corner.

joelseph

VGChampion said:

Get to blue lake on the pokewalker, save up 5000+ steps and you should catch one no problem. =)

Pein

Banned
I must be incredibly stupid but I just can't win at all in voltorb flip. It sucks because I really need some of those TMs

bwahahaha.... oh man, I remember Whitney terrorizing my team in Gold. I literally had to reset continually and wait for hax to kick in.

I just trashed her in SS :lol

My anti-miltank strategy was as follows:
1. Cotton spore with flaafy to ensure the rest of my team can out-speed it (why is that fat cow so fast???)
2. Switch to lvl 4 suicide intimidate ekans. This both increased the survivability of the rest of my team and allowed me to switch without getting bombed.
3. Bring in Gastly and hypnosis -> curse -> potion -> confuse ray.
4. Put to sleep/confuse as necessary, let curse work its magic.
5. Bring in Crocnaw to finish it off.

Would have been even easier if I had taught Flaafy thunder, but I didn't really need too.

You can get by in most pokemon battles by spamming super effect stab, but when that doesn't work and you're forced to strategize things get much more fun :D . A friend of mine beat her by using a leech seed stall strategy with exeggcute for instance. I never would have thought of that! Hopefully some of the upcoming gyms are as challenging.

Kletian

HotGarbage said:
bwahahaha.... oh man, I remember Whitney terrorizing my team in Gold. I literally had to reset continually and wait for hax to kick in.

I just trashed her in SS :lol

My anti-miltank strategy was as follows:
1. Cotton spore with flaafy to ensure the rest of my team can out-speed it (why is that fat cow so fast???)
2. Switch to lvl 4 suicide intimidate ekans. This both increased the survivability of the rest of my team and allowed me to switch without getting bombed.
3. Bring in Gastly and hypnosis -> curse -> potion -> confuse ray.
4. Put to sleep/confuse as necessary, let curse work its magic.
5. Bring in Crocnaw to finish it off.

Would have been even easier if I had taught Flaafy thunder, but I didn't really need too.

You can get by in most pokemon battles by spamming super effect stab, but when that doesn't work and you're forced to strategize things get much more fun :D . A friend of mine beat her by using a leech seed stall strategy with exeggcute for instance. I never would have thought of that! Hopefully some of the upcoming gyms are as challenging.

Christ my strat was far simpler.

1. Get Dratini at Game Corner
2. Cast Thunderwave to paralyze
3. Dragon Rage her into submission.

That god damned Poliwrath at the fighting gym gave me far more troubles

I always felt that Whitney was designed to get a player to use non-attacking moves. I know that when I first played red/blue I never used them, and deemed them useless. Whitney taught me that they were very useful indeed. That's pretty much the only way to beat her unless you power level your starter/machop.

joelseph

Kletian said:

Even easier:

1. Trade female drowsee for female machop
2. Focus Energy
3. Karate Chop

D-Pad

Kletian said:

That's simpler? :lol Oh wait, I forgot I just suck at Voltorb flip. :(

Just got to the Voltorb Flip minigame. I can see why people hate it so much; it's absolute bullshit. It's completely based on luck. They should have made it more akin to Picross in that if there are 2 Voltorbs in a row, they're always next to each other, as that way you could actually narrow it down.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Entire quest team EV trained. Only took about 2 hours to build them all back up after burning through my stock of berries on Plat. Found some good training spots for Atk, SpAtk, and Speed in the process.

Now to level up a few more times, evolve Dragonair, and give them a few new moves. Red is going down.

12 minutes later, and I now love Voltorb Flip and want a whole game based on it. :lol

I wasn't paying attention to the points total of each row and column. When you take those into account, you only have to rely on luck very rarely, and it plays like a strange mix of Picross and Sudoku.

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
Entire quest team EV trained. Only took about 2 hours to build them all back up after burning through my stock of berries on Plat. Found some good training spots for Atk, SpAtk, and Speed in the process.

Now to level up a few more times, evolve Dragonair, and give them a few new moves. Red is going down.
Do you actually get berries in this game or is it like Firered and Leafgreen where they ignore that they exist? I've only had one berry so far and that was one I found in the PokeWalker.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
OMG Aero said:
Do you actually get berries in this game or is it like Firered and Leafgreen where they ignore that they exist? I've only had one berry so far and that was one I found in the PokeWalker.
I just did a tradeback to Plat and used up a few dozen that I had accumulated there.

At least some of the EV reducing berries can be obtained in HGSS by trading shards for them. I don't know anything about them in this game beyond that.

Choopy

Neo Member
Sixfortyfive said:

Is there anyway to get those 6 berries early in this game?
I want to start growing them now to build up stock for later use...

EDIT: Nvm, late. You answered my question.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
OMG Aero said:

Yes, Mom buys you some. Bitch has me swimming in berries as I don't give two shits about them. Give me evolving stones, whore. :mad:

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:
I always felt that Whitney was designed to get a player to use non-attacking moves. I know that when I first played red/blue I never used them, and deemed them useless. Whitney taught me that they were very useful indeed. That's pretty much the only way to beat her unless you power level your starter/machop.
I killed it with two wing attacks from my Murkrow.

Crazyorloco

Love this game(Got soulsilver). The only thoughts really on my mind lately are of money, my girlfriend, and pokemon.

Also, not sure if this was in the other games, but I love that I can assign the L button as "a". I can play with one hand while holding on to the bars in nyc subways.

Does running in grass/caves attract more battles? I find that if I walk I have less encounters with pokemon.

Pappasman

Crazyorloco said:
Love this game(Got soulsilver). The only thoughts really on my mind lately are of money, my girlfriend, and pokemon.

Also, not sure if this was in the other games, but I love that I can assign the L button as "a". I can play with one hand while holding on to the bars in nyc subways.

Does running in grass/caves attract more battles? I find that if I walk I have less encounters with pokemon.

ya, walking lowers your encounter rate.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it that when I'm looking at a levelup move list for Lucario at Pokefarm.com, it lists Detect, Foresight, Metal Claw, Quick Attack, and Dark Pulse as level 1 moves when it's impossible AFAIK to get a Lucario at level 1? Even if you get a level 1 Riolu up to max happiness, it wouldn't evolve until level 2, right?

Detect, Metal Claw, and Dark Pulse are even moves that Riolu doesn't have at level 1.

Echoes

You take your Lucario to the Move Tutor to learn them (at the cost of one Heart Scale per move, I believe). Same with Togekiss and many others.

Choopy

Neo Member
Crazyorloco said:

Whaaa? You can do this?!
Eating while playing will be so much easier for me now :lol

Gravijah

Monroeski said:
Why is it that when I'm looking at a levelup move list for Lucario at Pokefarm.com, it lists Detect, Foresight, Metal Claw, Quick Attack, and Dark Pulse as level 1 moves when it's impossible AFAIK to get a Lucario at level 1? Even if you get a level 1 Riolu up to max happiness, it wouldn't evolve until level 2, right?

Detect, Metal Claw, and Dark Pulse are even moves that Riolu doesn't have at level 1.

I think those are the moves you can learn at the move relearner.

Top Bottom