• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Got all the badges. ^_^

To respond to cvxfreak a few days ago on why
Blue
became a gym leader and not champion, from the way they talk about it, there can be multiple champions... but if a champion gets defeated they lose their champion status. So,
Blue was beaten by Red
, who is still a champion even though you and Koga are also champions. Koga is the only one of the three that decided to stay on as a "full-time champion" for the Pokemon league, while you and Red decide to stay freelance. However, all three are still champions.

This is of course assuming that in those three years Koga attained champion status by beating the Elite Four.

Shiggie

Shiggie said:
hey does anyone have a leaf stone?
I badly want to evolve my exeggcute.

nevermind. i have to go go somewhere later today... maybe later tonight.
Im home now, so if anyone hase a spare one, ill be available.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I suppose I'm weird but having gone through Johto, I think Sinnoh is vastly more interesting and well-built than Johto. More open-ended connections between cities/towns, more variety in environment and scenery, better gym leaders, etc. I dunno. I just love Platinum's setting, I suppose.

Johto's still great, though.

And Kanto :D

depward

Wizpig said:
Wow, you know, I'm curious as to what made you buy this, and why did you ignore the series until now?
Of course this is valid for everyone who said it's their first Pokémon game.

But seeing as how "Gold/Silver" is still the best Pokémon game imo, and this is an enhanced remake... you are in for a damn good experience.

You know, I'm not sure. Just had a weird pull towards giving this a shot. Plus I read through this thread and thought, "Hey, people my age'ish (27) seem to be playing and loving this... might look into it."

Thanks for the info, all. I'll just go with the flow, not worry about end-game content, and just enjoy the ride :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dogenzaka said:
I suppose I'm weird but having gone through Johto, I think Sinnoh is vastly more interesting and well-built than Johto. More open-ended connections between cities/towns, more variety in environment and scenery, better gym leaders, etc. I dunno. I just love Platinum's setting, I suppose.

Yeah, Sinnoh's great. Pretty huge, too. I actually had lots of fun just exploring it and it seemed like a wide-open world. I was floored when I got the the upper snow mountains. :D Thought I had seen everything by then. It just felt really expansive.

Only one that sucks is Hoenn.

Pikachao

Neo Member
Dogenzaka said:

Weird, I feel that sinnoh is really disconnected. Kanto and Johto together really merged well, while Hoenn with it's secret bases in trees and caves really let you integrate with the environment, not to mention pacifilidog etc.

In diamond I think the storyline (what was team galactic's plan again? To infest the world with lycra suits and spiky buildings?) was rubbish, and all the towns were pretty generic. Hell the safari zone marsh was pointless, you got stuck in the mud more times than was funny, and don't even get me started on the "underground".

Not saying it didn't have it's charms such as Pokémon like mismagius, introduction of ball seals and the poketch, but it just didn't do it for me somehow. :(

sazzy

Dogenzaka said:
What should you know?
- It gets better. Way better. You may find the first couple of hours a bit slow, but that's because the game has to start somewhere and you'll be dealing with some pretty low-level Pokes. Once you reach Azalea Town (second badge) things pick up incredibly quickly and you'll soon be hit in the face with just how much content this game is going to throw at you.

I'm at 35 hours now and I'm only halfway through the campaign, and even after you're done with all the single-player there is an infinite amount of playing to do if you want to make the best Pokemon team through breeding and trading and raising, plus there are mini-games like the Bug Catching contest, Pokeathalon, Game Corners, and all sorts of other stuff.

Also, as far as tips goes, try to make the most diversified team as possible. Don't JUST use your starter Pokemon (Quilava) as you make your way through the game, because if you run into a Pokemon that is strong against it (Ground Types/Water Types) they'll wipe out your Pokemon with little effort.

A good starter team should have something like a Fire Type, Grass Type, Water Type, Rock/Ground Type, Electric Type, Psychic Type, or something like that. But play around and find what Pokemon you like best.

Keep in mind you can find more on your Pokewalker.

Off you go!

I gave it to my bastard Entei. It's a good accuracy-reducer move I suppose.

Your best option is to find a Pokemon you can teach as many HM moves to as possible (aka "HM Slave") Or catch a duplicate of a Pokemon that can learn it and use that.

Keep in mind, later in the game, you will be able to force a Pokemon to forget HM moves if you need it.

Thanks!

Should I use a FAQ at all?

Axis

does anyone have a shiny stone to trade?

i have a sun stone, fire stone, 2xthunderstone, water stone, heart scale and deepseascales to trade if so

also looking TM75, 76, 51, 90, 26

Dogenzaka

Banned
Andrex said:
Yeah, Sinnoh's great. Pretty huge, too. I actually had lots of fun just exploring it and it seemed like a wide-open world. I was floored when I got the the upper snow mountains. :D Thought I had seen everything by then. It just felt really expansive.

Only one that sucks is Hoenn.

Blasphemy! Hoenn was great too! Where else in the series did we see ash-covered towns at the foot of a volcano, a vast desert, walled in cities in the middle of the ocean, towns made of logs, an island that didn't always exist, a village nestled in the canopy of a forest, and a shipwrecked cruise-liner filled with mysteries to explore? The country was vast and interesting, and you could even explore underwater! I loved it.

In diamond I think the storyline (what was team galactic's plan again? To infest the world with lycra suits and spiky buildings?) was rubbish, and all the towns were pretty generic. Hell the safari zone marsh was pointless, you got stuck in the mud more times than was funny, and don't even get me started on the "underground".

Yeah Team Galactic was pretty lame. "We're going to control time and space!"

"To do what?"

"Uhh..............control time and space?"

Team Rocket is much more formidable since they actually harm Pokemon.

Gravijah

Dogenzaka said:
Blasphemy! Hoenn was great too! Where else in the series did we see ash-covered towns at the foot of a volcano, a vast desert, walled in cities in the middle of the ocean, towns made of logs, an island that didn't always exist, a village nestled in the canopy of a forest, and a shipwrecked cruise-liner filled with mysteries to explore? The country was vast and interesting, and you could even explore underwater! I loved it.

Haters gonna hate, man. Haters gonna hate.

Vanille

Dogenzaka said:

Completely agree. Hoenn is probably my favorite region. Loved the summer theme. <3

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dogenzaka said:
Team Rocket and Team Galactic are equally inept. Team Rocket just has more realistic ambitions.

Team Galactic has way better music though.

Sixfortyfive

Dogenzaka said:

I think both Hoenn and Sinnoh are more interesting individually than Kanto and Johto combined. The only route that really stuck out for me in my HG playthrough was that cliff path en route to the Safari Zone.

Shiggie

I going to post my weekend setup;
2lag1fm.jpg

This is how I pokewalk yall:D . On both socks.
3028cg2.jpg

Made it to the Elite Four!

I have to say, going to the Elite Four, buying tons of Revives, Hyper Potions, Full Restores, and Full Heals, then proceeding through the Elite Four's really hard battles and losing to the Champion... It was pretty intense and special.

Also... I found Amulet Coin in my items and have been raking up soooo much money. Momma loves me more now.

A criticism... Yes, they remade the game, but couldn't they have... well, remade at least some of the text a little? The Elite Four literally says exactly the same stuff as in the old game. It's interesting, from a familiarity standpoint, but I was practically reciting the stuff they said.

Time to try Elite Four again... This time with Ho-oh on my side. If I fail this time, I'm gonna grind 3 or 4 levels. I'm ~Lv.42 right now.

Sixfortyfive

Tournament/Battling thread update:

I've added links to breeding tips and IV calculators in the guide, and I've added a few EV training hotspots for HGSS. I'd like to add more, and I'd prefer that any locations (1) be applicable to both HG and SS, (2) include only Pokemon relevant to the stat that needs training, (3) be applicable at any time of day, and (4) include mostly low-level Pokemon. These attributes are listed in order of decreasing importance.

The tournament prize list in the OP has also been tweaked a little.

Why would you do that? said:
A criticism... Yes, they remade the game, but couldn't they have... well, remade at least some of the text a little? The Elite Four literally says exactly the same stuff as in the old game. It's interesting, from a familiarity standpoint, but I was practically reciting the stuff they said.
FireRed was the same way throughout, almost to the letter. I don't mind it so much. I figure it ought to be expected (and I never played GSC anyway).

jdogmoney

I'm thinking of building a competent team of the dumbest looking Pokemon.

Mamoswine
Probopass
Lickitung/Lickilicky

What are some other designs that, despite best efforts, are kinda silly?

Sixfortyfive

Obsessed said:
So can two Ditto breed to make a Ditto or do I have to try and catch one of each nature?
Ditto can't breed with itself. Only way to get more is to capture more.

Blu_LED said:
Is it worth me teaching Bayleef Magical Leaf? Right now his moveset is Tackle, Razor Leaf, Synthesis and Reflect.
If Razor Leaf is physical and Magical Leaf is special (I think that's the case), it might be worthwhile.

Synthesis is useless for the quest IMO. Healing moves are nice in versus, but in the quest you can just use Potions and such, which frees up moveslots for other things.

jdogmoney said:
I'm thinking of building a competent team of the dumbest looking Pokemon.

Mamoswine
Probopass
Lickitung/Lickilicky

What are some other designs that, despite best efforts, are kinda silly?

Lickilicky has been a mainstay on my teams for years now. :lol I think your team isn't complete without Sudowoodo though.

D-Pad

One thing I miss from DPP is the ability to always see the map on the bottom screen. This made chasing the running PKMN so much easier.

DarkKyo

Lol I connected my pokewalker with a nintendo rep's pokewalker at PAX East today thinking I'd get something special but all I got was a revive :lol

Shiggie

Dechaios said:
Lol I connected my pokewalker with a nintendo rep's pokewalker at PAX East today thinking I'd get something special but all I got was a revive :lol
I think it depends on what field their on.

Im excited to buy this game, but I cant until I finish Ruby.

Purchased: 2003
Hours to date: 42:00
Pokemon to date: 53
Badges: 7

I guess Im a slow gamer?

pirata said:
GODDAMMIT, WHY IS MORTY'S GENGAR SO POWERFUL?!? HOW CAN I STOP IT?
With any Normal type. Even a freshly caught Rattata with bite can kill him. If you have Togetic, Spam Extrasensory. His Gengar only knew Hypnosis, Mean Look, Sucker Punch and Shadow Ball making him helpless against Normal Types. His lvl 21 Haunter is the only pokemon who can attack a Normal type pokemon with its Hypnosis Dream Eater Combo

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dogenzaka said:
Yeah Team Galactic was pretty lame. "We're going to control time and space!"

"To do what?"

"Uhh..............control time and space?"

I think Cyrus wanted to drain the world of emotion so everyone would be just like him. Or something.

TR's antics in HG/SS were funny, not really formidable though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Claire = Clair?

What? Is that some European/rest of the World spelling change or is that a huge typo on Nintendo of America's part? I could swear it was "Claire" in Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Sixfortyfive

Team Rocket seems like more of a footnote than anything else in this game considering that they're taken care of before the game is even halfway over.

I am looking forward to the
Giovanni event
though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
...Damn it, Riolu won't appear in the Meadow area of Safari. :(

And I already have 11 Forest items and 17 Rocky items in it for 3 days.

So i just spent way to long on Seribii.net planning my dream team.

Tell me how this looks. I tried to make the most balance and unique team i could (except charizard obviously:

Electivire-Elec
Kingdra-Drag/Water
Mamoswine- Ice/Ground
Charizard- Fire/Flying
Gallade- Psychic/Fight
Skorupi- Poison/Dark

Im really fighting with myself on that last one though. I love Scizor and want to include it.

Am i crazy GAF?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sixfortyfive said:
Team Rocket seems like more of a footnote than anything else in this game considering that they're taken care of before the game is even halfway over.

I am looking forward to the
Giovanni event
though.

Yeah yeah yeah! I just read about that on Bulbapedia! So effing awesome! :D

Gamer @ Heart said:
So i just spent way to long on Seribii.net planning my dream team.

Tell me how this looks. I tried to make the most balance and unique team i could (except charizard obviously:

Electivire-Elec
Kingdra-Drag/Water
Mamoswine- Ice/Ground
Charizard- Fire/Flying
Gallade- Psychic/Fight
Skorupi- Poison/Dark

Im really fighting with myself on that last one though. I love Scizor and want to include it.

Am i crazy GAF?

Just play the pokemon you like. Crit-hax Drapion is a favorite of mine though, as one critical hit is enough to waste just about anybody.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Gravijah said:

YES oh gosh.

I would die for a full-blown Hoenn remake or something of some sort on the 3DS. Give it night and day, give it ALL the new features, plus some original features and being able to catch some Johto and Kanto and Sinnoh Pokemon in the area as well. That would be so awesome IMO D:

Other favorites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvtoudvkQtU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKndzmu__nc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3fiaPBDfv8

I feel like Hoenn tried to change up the formula a little bit compared to past games. With features like Wally being a rival that you actually "raise" and some of the nonlinear paths you take to exploring the country were very interesting to me. Also the dual Magma/Aqua villains were kind of cool.

El Sloth

Banned
The game finally arrived on Wednesday.:D I chose Cyndaquil for my starter since I've always been loyal to my fire peeps and figured I wouldn't have much chance to get any fire types later on. First day with the pokewalker and I get 2 Ponyta's and 1 Magby that already knows ember and sunny day. :lol I didn't even have a gym badge yet!

Fast forward to now: I just got my Fog Badge and then quickly went to fetch the Lapras at Union Cave and have a total of 37,573 steps logged on my pokewalker. I'm really liking the whole new touchscreen stuff, my only complaint is that it still takes to long to go through your items.

My team right now:

Ekans 21
Murkrow 21
Gastly 21
Magby 20
Flaffy 21
And I rotate these guys: Scyther 21/Quilava 22/Lapras 20

Game is also giving me major flashbacks to my middle school days.

Edit: Oh and Gastly+Curse= My ass saved against Whitney's Milktank and multiple other rough spots.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I love Night Shade so much. Almost forgot about it when I made my Gastly forget it in favor of Shadow Punch, but after Jasmine's Steelix wiped the floor with the rest of my team (including Quilava, damn that Rock Throw!), my Murkrow came in and whipped up on it. The Steelix missed a few attacks, and Jasmine used TWO hyper potions on it once I got it low on HP, but with 3 HP remaining my Murkrow managed to drop it all the way down for basically the third time using Night Shade. That move did more damage than Flame Wheel, and that is supposed to be super effective.

Murkrow has easily been my MVP so far. Useful in almost all situations, and came in and OWNED shit against the Steelix and the Miltank when everybody else on my team got dropped like newborns.

El Sloth said:
The game finally arrived on Wednesday.:D I chose Cyndaquil for my starter since I've always been loyal to my fire peeps and figured I wouldn't have much chance to get any fire types later on. First day with the pokewalker and I get 2 Ponyta's and 1 Magby that already knows ember and sunny day. :lol I didn't even have a gym badge yet!
I was missing a Fire type in my team, but when I got Magby shit's been WONDERFUL. Especially with Ember/Sunny Day.

Hieberrr

I LOVED Emerald! I was disappointed to find out that the game was so short, but I definitely loved the exploration on water. Although it did feel different in terms of what a Pokemon game should play like. I can't explain it, but it just felt different. It felt alienated from the other regions I guess...

I hated Diamond/Pearl/Platinum with passion, it felt completely different.

Top Bottom