• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Harpuia

Man, my team is not very good.... D: I lost earlier to one of my friends, who sucks, and I mean SUCKS at games in general. I mean, wow.

My team was
Feraligatr
Bellossom
Crobat
Scizor
Ampharos
Espeon

So, pretty much, if Feraligatr gets taken out, the rest of my team is left to the destruction from a good fire/steel type. Note to self: In the upcoming rematch, use Garchomp. :lol

Firestorm

Kurtofan said:
Is Hoothoot a good pokemon early in the game?
Or should I train a pidgey instead?
Train the one you like. For in-game they're both great and for multiplayer I think they're both terrible.

Morokh

Kurtofan said:

Like firestorm said, for the main quest of the game, take the ones you like, the AI has always be quite terribly weak if you're higher level than your opponents, or if you take real care of types strength and weakness.

If you plan on playing some more serious online games with GAfers (or others), then the choice may become more important.
There a re many websites that explain the advanced pokemon play like Serebii, Smogon University, or to make it more understandable for you at first you can try Pokebip.com because it's a pretty good french site.

Kurtofan

Morokh said:
Like firestorm said, for the main quest of the game, take the ones you like, the AI has always be quite terribly weak if you're higher level than your opponents, or if you take real care of types strength and weakness.

If you plan on playing some more serious online games with GAfers (or others), then the choice may become more important.
There a re many websites that explain the advanced pokemon play like Serebii, Smogon University, or to make it more understandable for you at first you can try Pokebip.com because it's a pretty good french site.
Well thanks but I'm not into advanced pokemon play :D
I just enjoy catching pokemons and beating the crap out of retarded NPCs :lol

I think I'll become crazy if I start caring about EVs, IVs,natures and what not.

jdogmoney

Kurtofan said:

Hoothoot gradually learns psychic stuff, which can come in pretty handy. They both evolve into bad-asses, though.

OMG Aero

Oh wow, when you get to Goldenrod you get to dress up as a Team Rocket member to get your picture taken. Here is my current party (With my Oddish HM slave hiding behind me):
21vcc1.jpg

Magni

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Holy crap, duder. 375 hours? I don't think I've put that much time into anything, including WoW. :lol

:lol I've put 1500-2000 hours into Pokémon the past decade :lol I've only put roughly 250 hours into 4th Gen (probably more since I keep resetting while breeding and stuff), 300 in 1st Gen, 800-1000 in 2nd Gen <3, and 100 or so in 3rd Gen (only played it when a friend lent me his GBA and Sapphire/FireRed).

Anyways, HeartGold and SoulSilver are waiting for me at the post office, gonna go pick 'em up :D:D:D:D:D

edit: Forgot to count my Crystal playthrough, that's 1000-1200 hours into 2nd Gen then :lol And over 2000 hours total for sure.

Anyways..

a57o9e.jpg

:D

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Metroid Killer said:
What's your problem, I've written 3 pages of notes on the Safari Zone and I've spent a lot of hours on it.

I know the mechanics of the Safari Zone, at least.

I'm trying to catch a Riolu in Meadow area. So I decided to place 17 Rocky and 13 Forest in it. Wouldn't every day it'd produce enough block points so that it would reach Riolu's requirement?

Ookami-kun said:
I know the mechanics of the Safari Zone, at least.

I'm trying to catch a Riolu in Meadow area. So I decided to place 17 Rocky and 13 Forest in it. Wouldn't every day it'd produce enough block points so that it would reach Riolu's requirement?
Well, first of all you've place the wrong kind blocks. It takes at least 10 Grass Blocks and 14 Rocky Blocks to get a Riolu, and then it takes 70 days of meadow being active in the Safari Zone for Riolu to appear.

Magni

cvxfreak said:
I love how you give a margin of error of as much as 200 hours. :lol

Well seeing how I've gone through two playthroughs of Red, one of Yellow, three of Silver, one of Crystal, one of Sapphire, one of FireRed, one of Diamond, and one of Platinum, I don't know exactly how much I've done :lol I've spent so much time in 2nd Gen across different games/saves/cartridges that I don't know how much I've done.

Wow at SoulSilver, I've just started it, and this is way better than just 4.5 Gen so far, at least for me :D

Merovin

So my Soul Silver came today, completely gutted. Not got the Lugia figure from Game, so now I just have Ho-oh on my desk! How annoying...

Even more annoying, played with the pokéwalker last night when I got in, + 5000 steps, thought hey, let's try for a Magby. Tried, Onix. Damn. Tried again, Onix. Went to try again, and the clock turned to midnight, number of steps reset for the day. No chance of Magby. Seriously?! What the hell!

Wichu

Merovin said:
So my Soul Silver came today, completely gutted. Not got the Lugia figure from Game, so now I just have Ho-oh on my desk! How annoying...

Even more annoying, played with the pokéwalker last night when I got in, + 5000 steps, thought hey, let's try for a Magby. Tried, Onix. Damn. Tried again, Onix. Went to try again, and the clock turned to midnight, number of steps reset for the day. No chance of Magby. Seriously?! What the hell!
As far as I know, if you get Onix, you can't get Magby. You have to put a different Pokémon in the Walker to change the Pokémon that appear.

EDIT: Or take your Pokémon out, then put it back in.

Mafro

Anyone know of any Windows 7 64-bit compatible USB Wifi dongles that work with DS games? I'm fed up with changing my wireless settings from WPA to WEP everytime I want to play this online. I've got the official Nintendo dongle, but that doesn't work in Win 7 and Nintendo no longer support it with software updates.

Merovin

Wichu said:
As far as I know, if you get Onix, you can't get Magby. You have to put a different Pokémon in the Walker to change the Pokémon that appear.

EDIT: Or take your Pokémon out, then put it back in.

But what about when the step counter hits midnight, and it resets? Does that mean the 5000 steps towards the rarer Pokémon no longer count?

Merovin said:
But what about when the step counter hits midnight, and it resets? Does that mean the 5000 steps towards the rarer Pokémon no longer count?
Yup. This way it gives you a goal everyday, and not have everything unlocked from the very first 10.000 steps.

Also as you gather steps and get access to the next group of pokemon in a course then the pokemons that were common just before will be uncommon. So if the steps never reset then it would be a pain to catch the common critters.

OMG Aero

Merovin said:

Have a look at this http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/pokewalker-area.shtml#ruggedpath
When you send a Pokemon to a course, one Pokemon is picked from each of groups. In your case, you got Onix instead of Magby so it was impossible to get Magby with that Pokemon.

CoolS

Played way too much yesterday (almost 10 hours..) but I love it.
And the new drag and drop box interface is amazing. so fast :)

Merovin

OMG Aero said:
Have a look at this http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/pokewalker-area.shtml#ruggedpath
When you send a Pokemon to a course, one Pokemon is picked from each of groups. In your case, you got Onix instead of Magby so it was impossible to get Magby with that Pokemon.

Damn, I really didn't read that properly when I first checked. :p
Thanks for that. Guess it makes sense, other wise it would be too easy to get some rare ones!

Boss Doggie

Metroid Killer said:
Well, first of all you've place the wrong kind blocks. It takes at least 10 Grass Blocks and 14 Rocky Blocks to get a Riolu, and then it takes 70 days of meadow being active in the Safari Zone for Riolu to appear.

o.o

Damn you Bulbapedia!

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the only way to get back to the main menu (pokewalker etc) once your in game is to turn your DS on and off again?

CoolS

MikeDub said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but is the only way to get back to the main menu (pokewalker etc) once your in game is to turn your DS on and off again?

Soft resetting is a bit faster: Press L, R, start & select at once.

trinest

OMG Aero said:
Oh wow, when you get to Goldenrod you get to dress up as a Team Rocket member to get your picture taken. Here is my current party (With my Oddish HM slave hiding behind me):
21vcc1.jpg
You will love later on...

Theres a part which you go down to the basement which you get your photo taken and a rocket rookie gives you the suit and you get to use it to try and sneak into the radio tower but then your rival comes and screws up the whole plan so you have to battle your way in.

Pikachao

Neo Member
I kind of dislike the whole IV/EV thing.#

It's interesting, but it doesn't promote the whole "be friends with your pokémon" etc. feelings that are meant to be portrayed in the storyline and anime.

What I tend to get is people laughing at you and belittling you for having "worthless" Pokémon without the best IVs, not to mention half of the Pokémon are considered pointless in competetive battling. So what if I want to keep my monferno without evolving it? I like it that way. :S

Also at whitney now. The evasion doesn't seem to be working for me (smokescreen/sand attack). Once rollout is used once it's immune to evasion? o_O

Wizpig

Pikachao said:
I kind of dislike the whole IV/EV thing.#
It's bull, just play the game and have fun... I mean, that's what I always did at least.
I know the game is deeper than I will ever find out, but IV/EV are terrible ways to make it deep; with the next game, they need to change this system.

Pikachao said:
What I tend to get is people laughing at you and belittling you for having "worthless" Pokémon without the best IVs
See other people. Seriously, I haven't seen one member in this thread trying to promote that one way of playing the game(Competitive/Main-game) is superior to the other. On the other hand everybody is agreeing that it's awesome how a game can let players play as they want.

I haven't spent 2 minutes on EV and IVs but no one is giving me crap for it...

I don't get your complaint about it not promoting 'friendship with pokemon'. ALL training in the games is making your pokemon better/stronger, no? Wouldn't a loving trainer want his pokemon to be the best?

Pikachao

Neo Member
I don't get your complaint about it not promoting 'friendship with pokemon'.

For example "oh this pokemon is timid. I didn't want that. I'll just shove it in a PC and never use it." seems a bit contradictory to the whole Pokémon friendship storyline bit.

EDIT: I guess it's all game mechanics vs. storyline which can't be helped in a lot of games...

Pikachao said:
For example "oh this pokemon is timid. I didn't want that. I'll just shove it in a PC and never use it." seems a bit contradictory to the whole Pokémon friendship storyline bit.

EDIT: I guess it's all game mechanics vs. storyline which can't be helped in a lot of games...

Eh for the main game is doesn't matter, but I like Ursaring so I managed to get via trade the best nature for him where as I don't think my Slowpoke/Slowking has a decent one but I use him because hes cool :lol
But theres a huge amount of them that I dont care for and catch purely for the pokedex enterys.

I wish I knew how many hours I've played over the course of the last decade. I recently went back to see where all my original copies left off and it looks like the batteries died in all of them as their were no saves. Oh well, wouldn't have learned much anyways since I've restarted each pokemon game for what seems like 10 times each. :lol

I judge all of the Pokemon RPGs on the adventuring aspect. I still don't understand any of this IV, EV stuff, nor do I care really. All I want to do is get lost in the world. It's my favourite game world. No need to get all technical.

Anyway, that's how I play.

I've been playing for some time now, and on my way to the 7th badge, about 24 hours played. This is the team I've chosen for the main quest:

- Quilava (31)
- Pidgeotto (30)
- Ampharos (31)
- Scyther (30)
- Alakazam (29)
- Dragonair (30)

The one I dislike the most is Pidgeotto, and I will probably have an HM slave in his place. Dragonair has been in my team for a while, since I won a Dratini playing Voltorb Flip and had him breed. Scyther is great, the problem is that I lack a metal coat and couldn't evolve it to Scizor, so he won't be able to learn metal claw, and it's a shame because his stats are good.

So, besides Mew, which would be the best HM slave, considering that Dragonair already knows surf?

Machine

Minister of the Dog said:
So, besides Mew, which would be the best HM slave, considering that Dragonair already knows surf?

Golduck - learns Flash and 6 HMs
Furret - learns 5 HMs
Tropius - learns Flash and 5 HMs

There are other good ones as well, but you can cover your bases with these.

Lkr

Ok, so I caught Lugia but I had to use the master ball. 5 resets and I was sick of trying over and over again since Togetic was KO'd and nothing else could put the bastard to sleep

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Alright, is there anyway to change the gender of the Dratini you receive from the Dragon's Den? I got the answers right and saved before getting it, but I keep coming up with females. Goddamn it, I want to breed that bitch for more ExtremeSpeed Dratini's.

Machine said:
Golduck - learns Flash and 6 HMs
Furret - learns 5 HMs
Tropius - learns Flash and 5 HMs

There are other good ones as well, but you can cover your bases with these.

Oh, thank you very much. I think I'll go for a Golduck with strenght, waterfall, rock smash and rock climb (if I'm not wrong, you only needed whirlpool in order to get to the island where Lugia is, am I?).

Boss Doggie

Oh god, finally defeated Red.

Fucking Lapras. >_<

Thankfully them battle items came handy. I have a newfound love for them! :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
trinest said:
You will love later on...

Theres a part which you go down to the basement which you get your photo taken and a rocket rookie gives you the suit and you get to use it to try and sneak into the radio tower but then your rival comes and screws up the whole plan so you have to battle your way in.

Even better is
Going to the Goldenrod Department store and talking to people there
, before doing that. :lol

Right been a bit busy lately, but I managed to get to Azalea Town.

My team is the following thus far:

Totodile - L 17
Chikorita - L 14
Pidgey - L 14
Ghastly - L 12
Geodude - L 8

Btw. Ghastly is a superb Pokemon to have for catching Pokemon. Especially the wild Legendaries. Mean Look + Hypnosis = $$$

It's nice to be playing this in English. Ah the memories. Although why is Teacher Earl talking like Yoda..

Oh and, FUCK OFF YOUNGSTER JOEY. I don't give a shit about your shitty Rattata. Only ONLY bad thing about the game is you can't delete numbers.

Dabookerman said:
Oh and, FUCK OFF YOUNGSTER JOEY. I don't give a shit about your shitty Rattata. Only ONLY bad thing about the game is you can't delete numbers.

Just press bag or something and it kills the call, though ole Joey challenged me to a re match:lol

Pikachao

Neo Member
Dabookerman said:

So glad I read about the phone number thing before I accepted anyones'

Lkr said:
Ok, so I caught Lugia but I had to use the master ball. 5 resets and I was sick of trying over and over again since Togetic was KO'd and nothing else could put the bastard to sleep

Heavy Ball worked just fine on the 5th try of throwing the ball after I got Lugia's HP down low...

Top Bottom