• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Groudon was surprisingly easy to catch. He rests (so automatic SLP stat) and heavy ball = easy catch.

With that said...

r9rhhc.jpg

Pikachao

Neo Member
Yep finally got whitney down.

For anyone wondering, I used a slowpoke, spammed curse when I was on the clefairy so it would have insane defence, then used a combination of yawn, confusion and a super potion to finish it off. Geez, it was almost as bad as beating brock's onix in pokemon yellow. xD

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dabookerman said:
Right been a bit busy lately, but I managed to get to Azalea Town.

My team is the following thus far:

Totodile - L 17
Chikorita - L 14
Pidgey - L 14
Ghastly - L 12
Geodude - L 8

Btw. Ghastly is a superb Pokemon to have for catching Pokemon. Especially the wild Legendaries. Mean Look + Hypnosis = $$$

It's nice to be playing this in English. Ah the memories. Although why is Teacher Earl talking like Yoda..

Oh and, FUCK OFF YOUNGSTER JOEY. I don't give a shit about your shitty Rattata. Only ONLY bad thing about the game is you can't delete numbers.

Really? You could in the originals.

mjc

Is there a decent place to train/level up once you get to Clair? I've been able to take out two of her pokemon but I'm not quite strong enough. I don't want to grind lower level wild fights for five hours :(

El Sloth

Banned
For those just getting their games and are new to their pokewalkers be careful! Don't make the same mistake I did and send a pokemon on a stroll if it'll learn a move in it's next level. I sent my lv9 Cyndaquil on a stroll and when it came back and grew 1 level it did not learn ember, the only fire move it will learn for the next 9-10 levels.:lol

I would have been assed out against Bugsy's Sycyther if it wasn't for Magby.

Dogenzaka

Banned
So if the Raikou I caught has a nature I don't like, do I re-start, faint the creature, and then have it respawn at some point? When does it respawn?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
mjc said:
Is there a decent place to train/level up once you get to Clair? I've been able to take out two of her pokemon but I'm not quite strong enough. I don't want to grind lower level wild fights for five hours :(

Safari zone, that's about all you can do.

I went fuck it, hacked my Platinum cart to restock rare candies and leveled the mofos up quicker. Screw waiting around. And I hear Kanto doesn't raise the levels or EXP given either, disappointing, more so since you can't rebattle trainers continuously like you could with the VS seeker in D/P/P.

mjc said:

Did you trade the Red Scale (from the Shiny Gyarados) with Mr. Pokémon to get a Exp. Share? :S

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dogenzaka said:
So if the Raikou I caught has a nature I don't like, do I re-start, faint the creature, and then have it respawn at some point? When does it respawn?

No, the roaming legendaries have a set nature when you start the game.

Merovin

I have another question with the Pokéwalker, if anyone could answer it would be great. Let's say I do so many steps, go to catch a Pokémon, but it's the wrong one in the group. If I transfer my Pokémon back to the game, and put another on all in the same day. Will my steps still count towards the rarer Pokémon/Higher Grouped Pokémon?

Edit: Never mind! Magby is mine! Wonder if the number of steps carries over between courses? :D

Harpuia

Anyone here have a nice pokerus infected poke for me to use? I plan on getting into the competitive battling, so I need one. I got literally nothing to trade for, so any nice people have one for trade? I could give you a totodile egg if you want...

Kazenone

This might have been mentioned already, but I just noticed that in the Stats summary of a Pokémon, you can see which stat is affected by its Nature. My Onix has a Hasty Nature (Spd+, Def-), and on the stat screen I can see that Defence has a blue drop shadow, and Speed has a red drop shadow. Very neat and very useful! Now I don't have to print out another Nature table like I do each time a new Pokémon game comes out. :lol

Wichu

Gah, can't beat Bugsy's Scyther :(
Current team:
Hasty Magby lv15
Jolly Slowpoke lv16
Timid Bayleef lv21 (shiny)

Magby always gets 2HKOed by Quick Attack, and only does about 1/3 with Ember. Slowpoke gets OHKOed by U-Turn, and Bayleef can't really do much to it with Tackle or Razor Leaf. I think I might have to do some grinding :p

EDIT: Oh, and I've only been called by Joey once so far. How often does he normally call?

Wichu said:
Current team:
Hasty Magby lv15
Jolly Slowpoke lv16

Magby always gets 2HKOed by Quick Attack, and only does about 1/3 with Ember. Slowpoke gets OHKOed by U-Turn, and Bayleef can't really do much to it with Tackle or Razor Leaf. I think I might have to do some grinding :p

While I personally don't like Geodude, Scyther is 4x weak to rock, so all it takes is a low level rock throw to take his Scyther out.

Kazenone said:
This might have been mentioned already, but I just noticed that in the Stats summary of a Pokémon, you can see which stat is affected by its Nature. My Onix has a Hasty Nature (Spd+, Def-), and on the stat screen I can see that Defence has a blue drop shadow, and Speed has a red drop shadow. Very neat and very useful! Now I don't have to print out another Nature table like I do each time a new Pokémon game comes out. :lol

Not seeing this at all. Where are you seeing this specifically? All the drop shadows are gray for me..

EzLink

Banned
So whats the deal with Hidden Power? I've never messed with IVs in general, but it seems like it would be fucking impossible to get the right Hidden Power type that would also be powerful. Hidden power electric on the charizard I want to train would be nice, but I'm not prepared to spend twenty hours trying to get one fucking move right

Is there some trick to this or is it really as difficult as it seems?

Is this worth picking up considering I played the crap out of the original Silver version? I'm in the mood for a pokemon game since I haven't played one for years.

Should I pick up Platinum instead?

EzLink said:
So whats the deal with Hidden Power? I've never messed with IVs in general, but it seems like it would be fucking impossible to get the right Hidden Power type that would also be powerful. Hidden power electric on the charizard I want to train would be nice, but I'm not prepared to spend twenty hours trying to get one fucking move right

Is there some trick to this or is it really as difficult as it seems?

On simulators getting a proper hidden power type/power is relatively easy. In game, you can pretty much forget it. I'm sure it's possible, since you can breed anything if you want to put enough time in, but it's probably not worth it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
HappyBivouac said:
Not seeing this at all. Where are you seeing this specifically? All the drop shadows are gray for me..

Then your Pokemon has a nature that doesn't increase/decrease any stats. It can be hard to spot the colour change, though it's clear if you scroll through your squad and look closely.

Wichu

HiddenWings said:
On simulators getting a proper hidden power type/power is relatively easy. In game, you can pretty much forget it. I'm sure it's possible, since you can breed anything if you want to put enough time in, but it's probably not worth it.
There's always RNG manipulation; you can get a Pokémon with pretty much whatever IVs/nature/Hidden Power you want in around an hour without any external devices (i.e. it's not hacking). However, it takes a while to learn.

Echoes

Wichu said:
There's always RNG manipulation; you can get a Pokémon with pretty much whatever IVs/nature/Hidden Power you want in around an hour without any external devices (i.e. it's not hacking). However, it takes a while to learn.
I want to learn about RNG. Where do I start?

Kazenone

HappyBivouac said:

Pokemon > Summary > Press Right to get the the Stats Screen (Stats on top, Moves on bottom). I only noticed it when switching between Pokemon (Up/Down), so try focusing on the Stats (The names, not the numbers) and switch between some Pokemon. I took a picture with my phone camera, but since it's such a subtle difference (The shadow is only a pixel thick) it is quite difficult to see. It's definitely there, though.

Ushojax said:
Then your Pokemon has a nature that doesn't increase/decrease any stats. It can be hard to spot the colour change, though it's clear if you scroll through your squad and look closely.

I'm an idiot-- I was looking at the numbers, not the actual word for the stat. That's handy.

Fitz

Oh god, Voltorb Flip, I want to gouge my eyes out. I was happy about finally being able to get Thunderbolt for my Gengar, but after about 30mins of playing it I have like 200 coins, don't think I'll have 10,000 anytime soon.

Wichu

Wait,
the Day Care Man is Lyra's grandfather
? I just lost all my respect for that man :(

Anyway, I'm almost at Goldenrod, which means I can nickname my Pokéwalker-caught team members. Any suggestions for Slowpoke and Magby?

Koomaster

Colkate said:
Oh god, Voltorb Flip, I want to gouge my eyes out. I was happy about finally being able to get Thunderbolt for my Gengar, but after about 30mins of playing it I have like 200 coins, don't think I'll have 10,000 anytime soon.
Some of the boards are impossible to win by logic, actually most of the boards seem to be about luck. I have been using this Voltorb Flip Helper. It does really well up until level 4 for me, but I haven't passed that level using this helper. Still, I have about 2,000 coins out of playing levels 1-3 a bunch of times.

OMG Aero

Just a heads up to anyone who is interested, there is a new Pokedex app on the iPhone/iPod Touch and as a launch deal it is only $0.99 or 59p. I have like £28 of iTunes credit so I decided to get it and seems pretty cool.
It gives you basic info on a Pokemon such as type, height, weight, a description, base stats and more important info such as what levels it learns moves and evolves. The description says that the creator is going to add egg moves and TM/HMs that a Pokemon can learn soon. Notably though, the app is missing what abilities Pokemon can have and it is also missing HGSS exclusive level up moves, but there are so few of them that it isn't a big deal.
Here are some screenshots I took of all the info it gives you on a Pokemon:
General Info
Stats
Moves
Evolution

Pikachao

Neo Member
slaughterking said:
What? Should I not accept peoples phone numbers? Nothing good comes out of it?

Every so often one will give you a berry or ask to battle them again but 9/10 times they'll phone you up to whine about not catching a pokemon or some other crap and interrupt your game. xD

Do the starter Pokemon you you choose after beating all 16 gyms come with more moves than usual? I got a level 5 Bulbasaur off the GTS that has Solarbeam already, and it originated in "Kanto." Think it is hacked?

NinjaBoyLao said:
:lol Gonna follow him. Maybe he'll give me berries.

Wichu said:
Current team:
Hasty Magby lv15
Jolly Slowpoke lv16

EDIT: Oh, and I've only been called by Joey once so far. How often does he normally call?
In the city with Sprout Tower, don't remember the name of it, there's a guy who will trade an you an Onix for a Drowsee. There is a patch of grass just south (?) of the city that has Drowzees. Easy-peasy.

FSLink

Banned
Easystride said:
Do the starter Pokemon you you choose after beating all 16 gyms come with more moves than usual? I got a level 5 Bulbasaur off the GTS that has Solarbeam already, and it originated in "Kanto." Think it is hacked?
Probably could have been a hatched Bulbasaur Egg with egg moves from Fire Red/Leaf Green. And no, they shouldn't have more moves than usual.

Top Bottom